Jets Begin Final Cutdown; Babin, Mays, Darryl Richardson Among First

JetNation

By Glenn Naughton   As the Jets begin trimming their roster to get down to the required 53 players by 4pm today, multiple outlets have begun announcing the names of those players, with linebackers Jason Babin, Joe Mays and running back Darryl Richardson being among the first. Jets have cut Jason Babin, per source — […]

Click here to read the full story...

Surprised to see Joe Mays cut...

Mays played well but they have a lot of guys who can play that spot...he may have been as low as 5th if they saw Lattimore and Henderson as better options...also may keep Taiwan Jones around.  

they may feel he will be easier to tuck Mays on PS since Jones was one of the hottest rookie free agents during the signing period.

8th year in the league.  Yeah this one slipped by me as well lol

He plays and hits like he is 23 but I'm not bummed about wanting to go younger as well.

I'm disappointed and surprised that Babin got cut. It must be salary- he's better than Reily.  He is very solid. Gets legit pressure, hustles, was good against the run.

He's 35 and was the oldest player on the team.  He has some good situational pass rushing ability still but so does Reilly and he is like 7 years younger.

WR

Evans, Powell, and Owusu 

TE

Lynch, Sexton 

RB

Daryl Richardson 

Stevan Ridley (PUP out 6 weeks)

FB

Julian Howsareicon-article-link.gif

QB

Matt Flynn

Josh Johnson

OL

Charles Brownicon-article-link.gif

Wes Johnson

Oday Aboushi (1 Game suspension)

DL

Ronald Talley

Jordan Williams

Sheldon Richardson (4 game Suspension)

Lb

Jason Babin

Deion Barnes

Taiwan Jones

Joe Mays

CB

Keon Lynn

S

Durell Eskridge

The New York Jets today have released 19 players in the process of reducing their roster from 75 to the NFL's 53-player maximum ahead of today's 4 p.m. ET deadline.

Among the releases are veteran linebackers Jason Babin and Joe Mays and eighth-year quarterbacks Matt Flynn and Josh Johnson.

Also, defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson (four games) and offensive lineman Oday Aboushi (one game) will begin their NFL suspensions today at 4 p.m. And running back Stevan Ridley will begin the season on on the Physically Unable to Perform list.

Here are the 22 transactions as the Jets got to their 53-man roster:

WR

Shaquelle Evans

Chris Owusu

Walt Powell

TE

Arthur Lynch

Wes Saxton

RB

Daryl Richardson

Stevan Ridley (PUP)

FB

Julian Howsare

QB

Matt Flynn

Josh Johnson

OL

Charles Brown

Wes Johnson

Oday Aboushi (suspension)

DL

Ronald Talley

Jordan Williams

Sheldon Richardson (suspension)

LB

Jason Babin

Deion Barnes

Taiwan Jones

Joe Mays

CB

Keon Lyn

S

Durell Eskridge

All NFL teams can start to assemble 10-player practice squads Sunday afternoon.

Both QBs, Flynn and Johnson.  Must have their eye on someone

Flynn is curious. Not being eligible for termination pay, he seemed like a great choice as the short term backup. Maybe they resign Johnson after the first regular season game? 

I am happiest about the Evans and Babin cuts.  Reilly and Mauldin need to get reps.  Coples and Pace to start and Mauldin to get a lot of rotation.  Evans cant catch, so no loss.  You need to be dependable.  The QB situation just appears the Jets are comfortable with Petty being active and getting reps if absolutely needed and Geno still appears in the picture.

So, it's official... in the greatest WR draft in history, Idzik managed to draft a TE who can't play, a WR who was cut before the season started, another who was injured before his first season started, then cut before his second season started, and a WR who missed his first season because "hitting women", and is now being converted into a what... a TE.

You can't make this sh*t up.

So, it's official... in the greatest WR draft in history, Idzik managed to draft a TE who can't play, a WR who was cut before the season started, another who was injured before his first season started, then cut before his second season started, and a WR who missed his first season because "hitting women", and is now being converted into a what... a TE.

Yet some cant understand the analogy between Idzik's two years as GM and the two years Kotite was our GM (95-96)...

Flynn is curious. Not being eligible for termination pay, he seemed like a great choice as the short term backup. Maybe they resign Johnson after the first regular season game? 

either that or the kid from GB that they brought in on Friday? 

....and Tom wanted us to keep him.

either that or the kid from GB that they brought in on Friday? 

I responded to this in another thread. Blanchard isn't a vested veteran, so if they really liked him -even as a short term backup- they could've signed him already without worrying about his salary being guaranteed for the whole season (unlike Flynn and Johnson). I think they either kicked his tires and moved on, or maybe they look to add him to their practice squad today. 

I responded to this in another thread. Blanchard isn't a vested veteran, so if they really liked him -even as a short term backup- they could've signed him already without worrying about his salary being guaranteed for the whole season (unlike Flynn and Johnson). I think they either kicked his tires and moved on, or maybe they look to add him to their practice squad today. 

thanks didn't realize this.  I guess they really think Petty is enough insurance,months think Flynn or Johnson are enough of an improvement to lock up cap room for.  Guess they think if Fitz went down they could bring in whichever one out of Flynn and Johnson they like best.  Interesting, guess that's good news for fans, guess they feel better about Petty than we thought

Archived