Austin Davis

AFJF

I don't tend to endorse the Jets signing every single player that shakes loose, but with news of the Rams dropping Austin Davis, I'm not sure how the Jets don't try to pounce.  

Young guy, eight career starts (all last season) threw 12 TD's/8 INT's as starter with 63% comp pct.  Had two 300+ yard games and went to Seattle to face the Seahawks, threw for 155 yards, 2 TD's and 0 INT's in going 17-20.  

Gotta' bring him in for a look.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't tend to endorse the Jets signing every single player that shakes loose, but with news of the Rams dropping Austin Davis, I'm not sure how the Jets don't try to pounce.  

Young guy, eight career starts (all last season) threw 12 TD's/8 INT's as starter with 63% comp pct.  Had two 300+ yard games and went to Seattle to face the Seahawks, threw for 155 yards, 2 TD's and 0 INT's in going 17-20.  

Gotta' bring him in for a look.

Why?? You have Fitz,Petty and Geno if you wanted to keep another QB they should have kept Fiynn..

Why?? You have Fitz,Petty and Geno if you wanted to keep another QB they should have kept Fiynn..

Geno can't play and Petty shouldn't play....Fitz gets dinged up in week one they're gonna' need somebody to step in.  Can't afford to give away a couple of early season losses with Petty under center in a competitive AFC East.

If you bring him in and he looks good, you explain to him that he just got a Shaq Evans type of shoulder injury and will have to spend the rest of the season on IR while he learns the playbook to come in and compete next season.

If you bring him in and he looks good, you explain to him that he just got a Shaq Evans type of shoulder injury and will have to spend the rest of the season on IR while he learns the playbook to come in and compete next season.

Davis is better and more promising than Flynn.

And yes, give him a look. 

Flynn has won games in the league how many has Davis won?? I'm not looking for another project they have that with Petty..

Flynn has won games in the league how many has Davis won?? I'm not looking for another project they have that with Petty..

He's won three and lost five with a decimated group of WR's and looked very good against Seattle and held his own against Bowles' defense.  Made one terrible throw on an INT but still only down by three and trying to drive down the field against Arizona had a pass hit his receiver in the hands only to have him botch the catch and the ball popped up and came down in to the hands of Patrick Peterson who ran it back for game-ending TD.

He's young, plays QB and has shown the ability to execute a game plan against elite defenses...Petty is a couple of seasons away from being able to do that...Davis can do it now.

He's won three and lost five with a decimated group of WR's and looked very good against Seattle and held his own against Bowles' defense.  Made one terrible throw on an INT but still only down by three and trying to drive down the field against Arizona had a pass hit his receiver in the hands only to have him botch the catch and the ball popped up and came down in to the hands of Patrick Peterson who ran it back for game-ending TD.

He's young, plays QB and has shown the ability to execute a game plan against elite defenses...Petty is a couple of seasons away from being able to do that...Davis can do it now.

Well I'm sure teams will be lining up to sign him then..Who is the Rams QB now?? 

Well I'm sure teams will be lining up to sign him then..Who is the Rams QB now?? 

Honestly not concerned with what other teams are lining up to do, just want the Jets to bring in a capable young QB which he appears to be.

The Rams traded for Foles and give him a huge contract, Case Keenum who is statistically inferior to Davis in essentially every category but the Rams liked what they saw from him on their PS last season, and Sean Mannion who they just drafted. 

Honestly not concerned with what other teams are lining up to do, just want the Jets to bring in a capable young QB which he appears to be.

The Rams traded for Foles and give him a huge contract, Case Keenum who is statistically inferior to Davis in essentially every category but the Rams liked what they saw from him on their PS last season, and Sean Mannion who they just drafted. 

I'm no GM so I will trust in Macc who IMO has done a fine job this year..

He is someone that interests me as well, but I'm not sure what to do with him.  I don't want to carry him on the roster because keeping 4 QBs hurts our depth, and I don't love his talent enough to sacrifice elsewhere because I'm not sure in terms of ability, he's any better than Geno or Petty.  I would love to stash him on the PS, but I'm sure some team will give him a backup job (maybe the Browns?), so I think we'll end up passing on him.  

He definitely has some talent though.  

He is someone that interests me as well, but I'm not sure what to do with him.  I don't want to carry him on the roster because keeping 4 QBs hurts our depth, and I don't love his talent enough to sacrifice elsewhere because I'm not sure in terms of ability, he's any better than Geno or Petty.  I would love to stash him on the PS, but I'm sure some team will give him a backup job (maybe the Browns?), so I think we'll end up passing on him.  

He definitely has some talent though.  

That's why I say bring him and and work him out...if you like what you see, he gets a mystery injury requiring IR.  Not sure he'd agree to that though because he should be able to do better elsewhere.

I would definitely definitely sign this guy. I was quite impressed with him when he played for the Rams last year, but Fisher is one of the most overrated coaches in the league (but best spoken) and failed to see the talent this guy has. Would be very comfortable with him on the team.

I would definitely definitely sign this guy. I was quite impressed with him when he played for the Rams last year, but Fisher is one of the most overrated coaches in the league (but best spoken) and failed to see the talent this guy has. Would be very comfortable with him on the team.

I like Jeff Fisher but I'm not sure why. 

If they don't make a run at him it just becomes another head-scratcher for the Jets regarding the QB situation.  As bad as they've been at QB forever, any time a guy like this comes available you have to at least take a look.  

Hopefully Bowles liked what he saw from him last season when they played the Cards.  He didn't play great, but he held his own for an inexperienced QB facing one of the best defenses in the NFL.

If they don't make a run at him it just becomes another head-scratcher for the Jets regarding the QB situation.  As bad as they've been at QB forever, any time a guy like this comes available you have to at least take a look.  

Hopefully Bowles liked what he saw from him last season when they played the Cards.  He didn't play great, but he held his own for an inexperienced QB facing one of the best defenses in the NFL.

Especially since they can sign him to the PS.

Especially since they can sign him to the PS.

They could, but I'd be surprised if somebody isn't willing to offer him something better than PS...even if not initially, somebody would poach him at some point IMO.

Matt Flynn is not a good enough QB to trash talk another QB regarding what they've done in the league.  Austin Davis been in the league for 2 years, coming in as an undrafted free agent and last year got an opportunity to play in 10 games and did okay. 

Matt Flynn's been in the league going on his 8th season and in that span of time has only accumulated 500 more yards passing and 5 more TD's than davis 10 game career, yet Flynn has played in more than 5 times the amount of games as Davis with Flynn's 51. And has over 3 times the amount of time in the league to actually make a career for himself and all he's done was....play in 51 games and throw for 2,500 yards and 17 TD's for his career. 

If we're talking about production in relevance to time spent in the league, Austin Davis is wiping the floor with Flynn's entire career. 

This dude played 1 good game ever in his professional life, he ends up making 20 million dollars off that game and have people come up with the same nonsense about him based on that 1 game that we hear about Fitzpatrick because he went to harvard and has a man-beard. Yet none of it has ever translated over onto the field. 

Its ridiculous. 

Geno can't play and Petty shouldn't play....Fitz gets dinged up in week one they're gonna' need somebody to step in.  Can't afford to give away a couple of early season losses with Petty under center in a competitive AFC East.

if they agreed they would have kept Flynn, since he's already used his vested guarantee, and if something shook loose that they like better cut Flynn.   The fact they cut Flynn means they don't think they need it or they are willing to take the risk. 

if they agreed they would have kept Flynn, since he's already used his vested guarantee, and if something shook loose that they like better cut Flynn.   The fact they cut Flynn means they don't think they need it or they are willing to take the risk. 

You may be right and we'll find out soon enough.

NFL teams will often sign players who were let go in the days following cut downs so the roster isn't set IMO.

It's entirely possible that the Jets, like many other teams, weren't that impressed with Flynn.

Even if their plan was to go a few weeks with just one experienced QB, it's something I'd hope they re-visit if a player they do like becomes available.

Yeah a head scratcher.  Kind of like how I scratch my head when someone whines if we don't pick up every castoff QB to play 3rd or 4th string here.  Cut by a team that everyone expects to draft a QB next year.  And who hasn't been claimed by any of the other 31 teams.  

Yeah a head scratcher.  Kind of like how I scratch my head when someone whines if we don't pick up every castoff QB to play 3rd or 4th string here.  Cut by a team that everyone expects to draft a QB next year.  And who hasn't been claimed by any of the other 31 teams.  

Everyone?  Casting a wide net, no?

Fans love to play make believe GM that doesn't mean they have to play it well..:)

Archived