Brandon Marshall: White Players Treated Differently

AFJF

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/09/brandon-marshall-white-players-treated-differently-when-it-comes-to-nfl-discipline/?cid=Yahoo

I wonder it this will impact the locker room at all.

Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall also has a full-time TV gig in part because the show’s producers are never quite sure what he’s going to say.

In that regard, Marshall’s comments Tuesday night on Showtime’s “Inside the NFL” were right on script.

The topic of conversation was Deflategate and the battle between Tom Brady and the NFL, and Marshall said that “a lot of players” believe there’s a double standard based on skin color when it comes to the way the league hands out discipline.

“White players, specifically at the quarterback position, are treated differently,” Marshall said.

Later, host Adam Schein asked Marshall if players believe black players are held to a different standard.

“Absolutely,” Marshall said. “At times, at times, at times, yes.”

During a give-and-take with fellow panelist Boomer Esiason, Marshall said, “I think that the important role that I play on this show is to give the viewers [an] inside look of the locker room. I am a player right now. This is not just from our locker room; this is from the locker rooms across the states. This is how guys are feeling. This is not just my opinion. These are conversations I’m having with guys.

“It’s just not African-American players. I’ve had this conversation with Caucasian players as well. The most important part of this whole discussion is the process for the players. They just want the process to be fair and right. They just want to get it right.”

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correction Pats QB gets special treatment

I think this really pisses off defenses. He's been getting special treatment for years. You can't breath on Tom Brady without a flag, and god forbid you even get too close to him he'll look for a flag.

Now his receivers cry every single incompletion! Have you noticed? Amendola & Edelman ask for flags after every single incompletion. Plus the refs completely ignore the Pats Oline literally hog collaring defenders. Let's hope that sh*t changes this year.

He's saying what probably every black player feels, right or wrong. Let's put it this way, if Cam Newton pulled what Brady did there'd be a lot more negative press in the media than what Brady endured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO, the number one reason there's so much outrage over the Pats and Brady is  not just because they're good and they win super bowls, but because we're being told on a fairly regular basis that they are the greatest of all time.  Fair or not, when you want to be viewed as such, there's going to be a higher standard set for your achievements.  Honestly, would anybody care if it was learned that the Jaguars were doing all of the same stuff and it just wasn't working for them?  Everybody would point and laugh.  However, the tone changes, and rightfully so, when we find out that "the greatest team ever" is a fraud.

This is not exactly ground breaking or shocking. Brandon Marshall is far from the first guy to say this. 

He's not...and he might be right...but  my concern is whether or not it'll ruffle any feathers in the locker room.

He's not...and he might be right...but  my concern is whether or not it'll ruffle any feathers in the locker room.

Who's feathers? Decker? Fitz? Mangold? Reilly? Last I checked the majority of the team is black. They're probably giving him a standing O on his way in today.

Who's feathers? Decker? Fitz? Mangold? Reilly? Last I checked the majority of the team is black. They're probably giving him a standing O on his way in today.

All of those white guys you just mentioned on the Jets are boy scouts, so yes they do get treated differently. Curtis Martin would be also. Russell Wilson?  Ray Rice was seemingly a boy scout, and received only a 2 game suspension initially. Johnny Manziel not so much.

Ohhhhh, so THAT'S why the Patriots have so many white players. It's not because they're racist, they're just trying to gain every possible statistical advantage.

Belichick, you sly dog, you!

Yep. This thread won't last long.

I will not lock this thread until MrsLonelyharts shows up.  

While I tend to agree with sentiments like Marshall's, I sincerely doubt that Brady has gotten any kind of special treatment simply because he's white. It's because he's Tom ******* Brady. And is anyone else even sure that he'd still be the NFL's golden boy if Belichick never drafted him?

With all the allegations of cheating, how can we be sure that Tom Brady would be the same player if he was drafted by anyone else? Sure, he may be a very intelligent QB who has a deep understanding of the game, but could that not also be said about Pennington?

I guess it's like the question of the chicken and the egg. Who made who here? Did Belichick make Brady, or did Brady make Belichick?

When Brady got off I told my wife African American players would take it as a slight. 

which is funny b/c Brady was suspended 4 games by the league for an issue there was no risk of suspension for before Brady while Marshall has been arrested 20 times and has been suspended ONCE for it.

I am so sick of the lame excuse about race.  there are some situations where race plays a role but not every negative is about race.

While I tend to agree with sentiments like Marshall's, I sincerely doubt that Brady has gotten any kind of special treatment simply because he's white. It's because he's Tom ******* Brady. And is anyone else even sure that he'd still be the NFL's golden boy if Belichick never drafted him?

With all the allegations of cheating, how can we be sure that Tom Brady would be the same player if he was drafted by anyone else? Sure, he may be a very intelligent QB who has a deep understanding of the game, but could that not also be said about Pennington?

I guess it's like the question of the chicken and the egg. Who made who here? Did Belichick make Brady, or did Brady make Belichick?

as a HC Brady made Beilichick.  BB is a complete failure w/o Brady, cheating or not cheating. 

Archived