Ronda Rousey. Roadhouse Remake. Sigh.

BroadwayJoe12

Rousey had that coming. Didn't think it would be Holm but it was a matter of time before her awful striking was exposed. She's no Joanna, that's for sure.

Now it's on Conor to carry the company in style. Lovely stuff.

Until watching the highlights I had no idea that Rousey had zero boxing skills as I had never actually seen her fight.

Holm was a complete mismatch  for her based on the footage on the web.

I guess Rousey has or had some mad wrestling/take down skills that led to her undefeated record and fame but I don't see her ever winning a rematch against Holm whose background completely supported the fact that she would give such a lopsided beat down.

Interesting the amount of smack Rousey talked before the fight.

Until watching the highlights I had no idea that Rousey had zero boxing skills as I had never actually seen her fight.

I guess Rousey has or had some mad wrestling/take down skills that led to her undefeated record and fame but I don't see her ever winning a rematch against Holm whose background completely supported the fact that she would give such a lopsided beat down.

I think Rousey can definitely win a rematch. She's just so damn arrogant and bought into all the hype around her, talking about beating the male fighters and all that bullsh*t. Dana and Joe Rogan ate it all up too which makes this all the more satisfying because they look like fools.

Ronda shouldn't even have tried to exchange with her, but she did like an idiot. She wasn't even striking to set anything up, just throwing wildly and leaving her chin hanging out. If she gets a decent coach she'll be more competitive for sure, she still almost got her arm when they were on the ground and always has that threat. 

She hasn't shut up these last few years. Unbearable. I was so ******* happy she got KTFO.

I don't put much stock in how much smack they talk... I mean, hyping a fight is part of becoming a household name fighter. It comes with the territory, imo. 

He background is all jiu jitzu or judo or whatever. 

I think Rousey can definitely win a rematch. She's just so damn arrogant and bought into all the hype around her, talking about beating the male fighters and all that bullsh*t. Dana and Joe Rogan ate it all up too which makes this all the more satisfying because they look like fools.

Ronda shouldn't even have tried to exchange with her, but she did like an idiot. She wasn't even striking to set anything up, just throwing wildly and leaving her chin hanging out. If she gets a decent coach she'll be more competitive for sure, she still almost got her arm when they were on the ground and always has that threat. 

She hasn't shut up these last few years. Unbearable. I was so ******* happy she got KTFO.

Agreed with everything you're saying.

I will say too, that her run was pretty unprecedented. No matter how annoying she got. 

Anyway, she got the face-kicking that the Patriots deserve.

don't be shocked if this is her last fight ever

I wouldnt be, at all.  Shes' rode this ridiculous, uncalled for fame to meteoric heights. 

Now that the book is out on her, why continue you get your face pounded in when you can pretty much create whatever career you want with the exposure and popularity you gained over the last year? 

Holly Holm is one a two-time Ring fighter of the year and one of the greatest female boxers ever. It is hilarious watching fair weather fight fans try to label this as big an upset as they're trying. It wasn't.

Honestly that fight reminded me a lot of GSP/Koscheck. Granted GSP owned him with a jab, but the principle was the same. Time and time again we see this; grapplers and wrestlers eventually getting completely owned with the most basic of boxing techniques. I get it, there are about 5-6 different things you need to train for every day when you're getting ready for a MMA fight, so there isn't enough time to become a great boxer throughout your camps; but damn, it was ******* Holly Holm, you'd think she would have been more ready for a southpaw than that. A straight left down the pipe shouldn't be catching you to that degree every single time.

I wouldnt be, at all.  Shes' rode this ridiculous, uncalled for fame to meteoric heights. 

Now that the book is out on her, why continue you get your face pounded in when you can pretty much create whatever career you want with the exposure and popularity you gained over the last year? 

Rousey will retire and say she's concerned about concussions and go do crappy straight to dvd movies next 10 years.  

It sucks she's going to get a rematch. They should just have Holm fight Cyborg, Rousey doesn't deserve it. That wasn't a close fight and Holm's career speaks for itself. This was NOT some huge upset and it's not fair that she has to prove it wasn't a fluke. This was an earned title shot and a convincing win. Time to move on to the next title reign, that's how fighting works. This wasn't some crazy battle that we have to run back, or Rousey just getting caught with a lucky shot. She was outclassed and outworked by a better fighter period.

In hindsight the whole thing is kind of lame. BJ Penn went up to HW to fight Lyoto Machida, and Ronda couldn't go up 5 pounds? Worth noting that the steroid excuse she used in refusing to fight Cyborg is the same exact thing everyone murdered Floyd for years with when it came to Pacquiao. She shouldn't get a pass for this sh*t just because she became a figurehead.

It sucks she's going to get a rematch. They should just have Holm fight Cyborg, Rousey doesn't deserve it. That wasn't a close fight and Holm's career speaks for itself. This was NOT some huge upset and it's not fair that she has to prove it wasn't a fluke. This was an earned title shot and a convincing win. Time to move on to the next title reign, that's how fighting works. This wasn't some crazy battle that we have to run back, or Rousey just getting caught with a lucky shot. She was outclassed and outworked by a better fighter period.

In hindsight the whole thing is kind of lame. BJ Penn went up to HW to fight Lyoto Machida, and Ronda couldn't go up 5 pounds? Worth noting that the steroid excuse she used in refusing to fight Cyborg is the same exact thing everyone murdered Floyd for years with when it came to Pacquiao. She shouldn't get a pass for this sh*t just because she became a figurehead.

I'd have to figure that Holm wants the rematch as much as anybody, because it's probably the biggest payday she'll ever see, as that PPV will easily be one of the top-3 in buyrate in UFC history if/when it happens.  If she fights someone like Tate in the interim and is defeated, she loses that earning potential, kind of like how Cyborg lost out on her chance to cash in when Rousey got dismantled. 

While I agree that Rousey's reasoning for not fighting Cyborg at anywhere other than 135 was laughable (when she would gladly fight Carano at 145), the Penn-Machida fight you're referring to took place in K1 over 10 years ago.  There were lots of openweight bouts in Japan, something that would never be sanctioned in the states in modern-day MMA.

I'd have to figure that Holm wants the rematch as much as anybody, because it's probably the biggest payday she'll ever see, as that PPV will easily be one of the top-3 in buyrate in UFC history if/when it happens.  If she fights someone like Tate in the interim and is defeated, she loses that earning potential, kind of like how Cyborg lost out on her chance to cash in when Rousey got dismantled. 

While I agree that Rousey's reasoning for not fighting Cyborg at anywhere other than 135 was laughable (when she would gladly fight Carano at 145), the Penn-Machida fight you're referring to took place in K1 over 10 years ago.  There were lots of openweight bouts in Japan, something that would never be sanctioned in the states in modern-day MMA.

I know. I just mean it's laughable that she ducked meeting at a perfectly fair catchweight, especially in a sport like MMA where f'ing 5 pounds really shouldn't matter THAT much for that good of a grappler. Some of the great, great fighters of all time have fought at way more a disparity, and she can't do 5. Come on.

It'll be interesting to see the gate for sure. Aldo/McGregor figures to be the highest selling ever. Can't wait. I think Aldo's going to kill him but I hope not, I actually like Mcgregor a lot. Dude's hilarious.

I know. I just mean it's laughable that she ducked meeting at a perfectly fair catchweight, especially in a sport like MMA where f'ing 5 pounds really shouldn't matter THAT much for that good of a grappler. Some of the great, great fighters of all time have fought at way more a disparity, and she can't do 5. Come on.

It'll be interesting to see the gate for sure. Aldo/McGregor figures to be the highest selling ever. Can't wait. I think Aldo's going to kill him but I hope not, I actually like Mcgregor a lot. Dude's hilarious.

While it is shaping up to be the best card of the year, I still don't think 194 will top UFC 100 in terms of number of PPV buys (1.6m... next closest post-Lesnar buyrate was 1.1m for Silva-Weidman 2/Rousey-Tate 2).

I actually don't think Aldo will kill him, provided McGregor doesn't get leg-kicked to death ala Faber.  WEC Aldo would be a favorite by a landslide, but UFC Aldo hasn't beaten anyone by stoppage, save for the first Mendes fight.  I can't imagine McGregor allowing Aldo to outpoint him for 5 rounds without opening up and desperately seeking to end the fight himself.  The guy seems to have a granite chin, so it should be a good scrap.

I am equally, if not more interested in the Weidman-Rockhold fight and Jacare/Romero should be good as well.  Let's hope nobody gets injured between now and then.

PS - this whole WBC/Cotto situation is precisely why I stopped watching boxing in favor of MMA.  I can't say that I won't watch Cotto-GGG if that match were to be signed, but dropping the WBC belt points to the fact that Cotto had no intention of facing Golovkin next (after paying him $800k to step aside for the Canelo fight).

While it is shaping up to be the best card of the year, I still don't think 194 will top UFC 100 in terms of number of PPV buys (1.6m... next closest post-Lesnar buyrate was 1.1m for Silva-Weidman 2/Rousey-Tate 2).

I actually don't think Aldo will kill him, provided McGregor doesn't get leg-kicked to death ala Faber.  WEC Aldo would be a favorite by a landslide, but UFC Aldo hasn't beaten anyone by stoppage, save for the first Mendes fight.  I can't imagine McGregor allowing Aldo to outpoint him for 5 rounds without opening up and desperately seeking to end the fight himself.  The guy seems to have a granite chin, so it should be a good scrap.

I am equally, if not more interested in the Weidman-Rockhold fight and Jacare/Romero should be good as well.  Let's hope nobody gets injured between now and then.

I don't think I'll ever get over Aldo going kneel before Zod on Faber like that. Faber was my guy man, that sh*t broke my heart.

PS - this whole WBC/Cotto situation is precisely why I stopped watching boxing in favor of MMA.  I can't say that I won't watch Cotto-GGG if that match were to be signed, but dropping the WBC belt points to the fact that Cotto had no intention of facing Golovkin next (after paying him $800k to step aside for the Canelo fight).

Ah, I dunno. It's hard to buy the fee has anything to do with Golovkin. While I agree that Cotto wants nothing to do with him because he's at the end of his career, fighters have negotiated down sanctioning fees before. Knowing Cotto I think it's just he's at the end of his career and values 300k more than than one of the alphabet belts. We'll see. I don't think either of these guys care about the belt, nor do either want anything to do with GGG anytime soon. De La Hoya has already been talking about an immediate rematch if this is a good fight, and it's hard to imagine GGG stepping aside again.

What's going to make this worse is that I think GGG turned down Ward because he was promised the winner of the Cotto fight. Now Ward's moving up for Kovalev, so we'll get neither if Canelo/Cotto goes for a second time, because there is no way Ward is stupid enough to move back down to middleweight immediately after going up.

Such a shame. GGG just came up a few years too late for the middleweight division. Had this been 5 years ago he could have been part of that whole Pavlik/Williams/Martinez thing.

Holm will give her the rematch simply for the cash and who can blame her. That will be a big fight for the MMA crowd.

I had never paid much attention to the sport but was aware of the hype surrounding Rousey. Basically figured she was the Mayweather of her sport.

Once I read of Holm's background, I, like you, felt that the fight should have been labeled a complete mismatch in Holms favor going in. Rousey in fact hinted of the exact outcome on a talk show months earlier so she was well aware that she was facing a far superior and well rounded fighter.

Archived