LB dept. : Lorenzo Mauldin ~ ~ ~

kelly

Growing up in Atlanta, Lorenzo Mauldin always made sure he was in front of a television set on Sundays. He didn’t have a favorite NFL team, but Mauldin loved the sport, and dreamed of being one of those players one day.“It’s a fantasy come true, I guess you could say,” the Jets’ rookie linebacker said.

He will get his first taste of what an NFL Sunday is like soon, when he makes his regular-season debut with the Jets against the Browns at MetLife Stadium. The third-round pick out of Louisville, an athletically gifted linebacker known for his quickness and pass-rushing ability, enjoyed a solid camp despite missing some time with a right knee injury. He’s eager to make his presence felt now that the games count and he’s healthy.“My emotions are going to be in an uproar,” Mauldin said after practice on Friday. “I’m always going out with a lot of energy. I plan to finish the game with a lot of energy. Just going out there running through the tunnel to an actual NFL game is going to feel real good.”

Mauldin said he doesn’t expect to have any butterflies — he thinks he got rid of those during the preseason.“I plan to make an impact as soon as I can,” he said. “I have an urge to go out there and make a big play and show the coaches that I can be a big playmaker when they need me to.”

rest of above article :

>   http://nypost.com/2015/09/11/no-matter-what-sunday-will-be-a-dream-come-true-for-one-jet/

Lorenzo Mauldinicon-article-link.gif knows why he is here. The rookie linebacker, a third-round selection (No. 82 overall) in April’s draft, is a Jet because of his pass rushing prowess.“They have the instances where sometimes I’m in a three-point stance, sometimes I’m in a two-point stance and it confuses a lot of offenses,” Mauldin said this week. “I want to be able to show the coaches that I can be versatile when it comes to those types of packages. More than likely, I’m probably going to be rushing more because that’s what my forte is.”

Mauldin, who displayed an explosive burst throughout camp on the practice field, was limited to two games this summer. He injured his knee during the team’s Family Night practice at Hofstra and did not see action the final two preseason contests. Mauldin practiced throughout the week and was listed as probable on Friday’s injury report.“It actually feels like I’m out there with fresh legs,” he said this week. “I’ve been rehabbing my knee and doing a great job in there in the training room.”

In his first preseason game, Mauldin was active against the Lions with a near sack of Kellen Moore and also got flagged for a personal foul for going high on a QB.“There is no more room to mess up. That’s what you had the preseason games for – to actually get all the jitters out and understand what you messed up on and be able to fix it,” Mauldin said.If Mauldin is active Sunday, he would figure to see time in sub packages on defense. He feels like he has improved in space throughout the offseason.

“My eyes have gotten better – that was my biggest thing coming into camp was to realize where my eyes needed to be and to be able to read my coverages when it comes to the receivers,” he said. “I feel like I’ve gotten way better with that and when I’m asked to drop into coverage, I feel like they’ll be pleased.”

A contributor on special teams at Louisville, Mauldin considers himself a willing blocker and a sound tackler.“I’m a guy who loves special teams,” he said. “I want to be on the field regardless. I hope to contribute on special teams. I did a lot on teams at Louisville. It’s not going to change here with the Jets.”Both Mauldin and Trevor Reillyicon-article-link.gif are listed behind Quinton Coplesicon-article-link.gif and Calvin Paceicon-article-link.gif on the OLB depth chart. Mauldin, who racked up 18.5 sacks on the collegiate level, has to be ready to play both the strong-side and weak ‘backer positions as his pro career begins.

“It doesn’t matter what side we’re on,” he said. “We have to know what both sides do. Sometimes I’m going to be playing Sam, sometimes I’m going to be playing Will.” 

>   http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Mauldins-Rush-Could-Begin-Sunday/09e89969-66d5-4457-bd13-902a6b3928d7

He's got a real chance to be a difference maker considering how strong the rest of the D is (on paper at least).  Bill Parcells said that if you have only 1 guy who can rush the passer then you have none (the implication being he'll be double-teamed).  I think it all comes down to a numbers game where the saying "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link" comes into play (e.g. the opposing offense can't double team someone because all the blockers are already occupied with difficult assignments).

Archived