Brandon Marshall, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Chan Gailey

TuscanyTile2

We basically got these guys off the scrap heap.  Marshall cost us a 5th rounder, Fitz a 7th and Gailey wasn't in the NFL (afaik) for a couple of years.

It's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out.  Are Maccags/Bowles that much smarter than the rest of the league at finding diamonds in the rough?  Or were there good reasons these guys were available on the cheap?  Personally I'm optimistic about all 3 but, if they turn out good, it just goes to show how badly teams can miss the boat.  I guess we all already kind of know that based on draft busts but I still find stuff like this interesting considering how many teams need talent upgrades (certainly at QB).

You could have a point here. Though Marshall is a legit #1 WR it seems that over his career teams couldnt wait to get rid of him. Denver got rid of him, Miami got rid of him and now Chicago. Its hard to assume that suddenly things will be peachy with him. Though he's on the wrong side of 30 there is no denying his talent. Still the best WR we've had in like a decade, maybe more.  

Fitzpatrick is always touted as being a capable QB and super smart. I have yet to see his Harvard smarts translate to the field, so I look at that as the typical slobbing of the status "Ivy League". Fitzpatrick plays what is considered the most important position in sports, yet for all of his alleged capability and smarts he was traded for basically nothing. You can't pull off that type of trade, let me watch the majority of his inconsistent career given that he played mostly in the AFCE then try to sell me on how good or how smart he is. At the end of the day its about wins and losses and he's lost more than he's won. He's also on the wrong side of 30. 

Chan Gailey is the dark horse for this team. If he can get somehow the best of what Fitz/Geno can be on a consistent basis as well as develop Bryce Petty for a future shot at the starting spot we'll have a shot at 10 wins. This is the first time in a long time that the Jets have had offensive weapons, especially in the passing game that teams will have to respect. We have a solid array of running backs but our offensive line is very well a question mark. If the Jets could get a QB that can make plays here and there that will make the WR weapons relevant and keep defenses honest then I would say that Chan Gailey has done his job, especially with what we have at QB. 

We basically got these guys off the scrap heap.  Marshall cost us a 5th rounder, Fitz a 7th and Gailey wasn't in the NFL (afaik) for a couple of years.

It's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out.  Are Maccags/Bowles that much smarter than the rest of the league at finding diamonds in the rough?  Or were there good reasons these guys were available on the cheap?  Personally I'm optimistic about all 3 but, if they turn out good, it just goes to show how badly teams can miss the boat.  I guess we all already kind of know that based on draft busts but I still find stuff like this interesting considering how many teams need talent upgrades (certainly at QB).

I think yes to Marshall and Gailey. But Fitz was never intended to start.

Rooting for the Cinderella season while being fully prepared to say we should've seen this coming. Should be fun.

IMO, Fitzpatrick is the shakiest of the three. Marshall can play, he gets moved for off field issues vs. what he earns. Gailey is a guy who focuses on getting the most out of what he has (a good fit with his rookie head coach), and doesn't show any signs of senility. He should be okay. Fitzpatrick is saying the right things. Seems to understand that he has to play within his physical limitations, and admits he hasn't always thought that way. He's never had a 2:1 TD:int ratio (as hoped for in another thread), but keeping it close to 1.5:1 should be fairly effective game managing. That's doable. I don't think we've seen the last of Geno, though. 

I'm a bit worried about Fitz.  His arm has looked weak at times in preseason.  I am not an expert on him before he came here, but I I wasn't scared of him when we played him.  If our defense plays well, I think we'll be okay;  Fitz won't have to force things.  

Archived