Welcome Back Fireman Ed

Maxman

Yes I know we had the other chant thread. That thread has many pages with lots of talk, opinions and speculation.

This thread is simply to say Welcome Back Fireman Ed. You have been a die-hard Jets fan for so many years. So many of our Jets memories involve you. Thank you for coming back and doing the chant today.

Really hope to see you make some appearances in the future. The stadium was rocking today!

I think the Ed narrative was made clear this off season by the Fire Idzik dudes.  He told Makes me Idsick that he wanted to come back for a game but then hand the chant off to someone else.  And I think he did that today.  I could be wrong, but I think there's even an interview posted on this site somewhere in which he states this.

I really liked having him back today.  Wish he'd stick around for the year.  The chants with the other guys weren't as good.  But regardless I hope the chant comes back.  It's a nice part of the tradition.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/fireman-ed-retirement-lead-j-e-t-s-chant-article-1.2358773

Fireman Ed comes out of retirement to lead J-E-T-S! chant

Bill Kostroun/AP
Look who's back? Fireman Ed, seen here in a 2012 file photo, was back in action on Sunday.
Ed Anzalone, or Fireman Ed as he is known to Jets fans, came out of retirement on Sunday and led the MetLife Stadium crowd in the famous "J-E-T-S!" chant. According to a letter Anzalone penned via Metro, Sunday was his last hurrah.

"I want to say thank you for all the support for the 28 years of leading the cheer for the greatest chant in all of sports," Anzalone wrote. "The New York Jets organization asked me to come back and lead the chant with the new leaders of the chant one last time. I know the fan base loves the chant and rocking our house and I know that the tradition will continue with these energetic and passionate leaders."

Fireman Ed "retired" in 2012 after leaving two embarrassing Jets losses at halftime, one of them the infamous 49-19 Thanksgiving debacle against the Patriots when the Buttfumble was born. He apparently returned Sunday to pave the way for the new fans that will take his place.

"My hope is the fan base will embrace these chant leaders and support them in good and bad days," he said. "I look forward to the future, knowing we're in good hands with head coach Todd Bowles and general manager Mike Maccagnan."

Was glad to hear the chant in the background while watching today. I thought it was cool that Snacks was trying to get it going before opening kickoff, and Marshall was trying to get the ball to Ed. 

I can't help but wonder if the Packers fansbase trivializes the "Go Pack Go" chant to the degree our fanbase does ours? Bickering over how we do a cheer in a stadium seems like something you'd expect from neurotic east coasters, but not so much the salt of the earth types in the midwest. 

I've got to say, the "J-E-T-S" chant is far better than the "where is Roger" chant in Gillette on Thursday. 

Revis brought him up after the game, too.

"I want to thank the crowd, I want to thank Fireman Ed for coming back, and just being electrifying again," Revis said. "They played a big part in this game."

Same with Brandon Marshall, who said something to the effect that it is not time for Ed to pass the torch and that we needed him.  

Revis brought him up after the game, too.

"I want to thank the crowd, I want to thank Fireman Ed for coming back, and just being electrifying again," Revis said. "They played a big part in this game."

where's our headphones buddy !?!

Sorry for not coming here sooner to talk about it… it was awesome seeing him back where he belongs (even if only for a day) and watching the crowd welcome him back with open arms (as most people knew he would). Things happened behind the scenes over the last few days that I won't really discuss because it isn't my place…. but I will say that Brandon Marshall is the man. First game, he scores a td and he goes looking for Ed to hand the ball off to. Then Revis talks about Ed in the post game press conference. Meant a lot to Ed and to everybody who put in the hours to try and get him back. Clearly he means a lot to the players and a good majority of the fans. If our efforts turn out to only have him leading those couple chants, so be it. He deserved to go out with respect - and he was treated with respect today. 

I am exhausted so I won't really write too much more tonight. But if anybody has any questions, I will be happy to answer them in the morning. 

I will say one more thing before I go to bed.. The plan was to have Ed come back and slowly introduce these new younger guys in to the mix so that fans could get used to seeing them - instead of doing a contest and have a new face on the screen every week. The new guys were going to go back and forth across the stadium like the old days at Shea and the early days at Giants Stadium once Ed was phased out. 

As far as I knew, this was going to be a slow process that was done over the course of the first few home games (or even the entire season)… it just didn't go down that way. It was not the way I would have done it. It was not the way Ed would have done it. But it is the way it went down. It is a shame because I think that if the original plan was executed properly, it would have given these new guys a much better chance of earning the respect of the stadium. And to make matters worse, the players are now asking Ed to come back which is not going to help these new guys either. 

As I have more updates, I will post them. 

Same with Brandon Marshall, who said something to the effect that it is not time for Ed to pass the torch and that we needed him.  

It's not about Ed.

When Jets players say stuff about Ed they are talking about us, the collective fanbase.  They were happy that we were enthusiastic and supported them.  They think Ed represents us when he doesn't.  But that's okay.  Ed's retired now and they can just thank us directly instead.

SAR I

So now he has quit on the team again...why even have him come just to "pass the torch"

It's a calculated move to dip his toe in the water and see if it sticks.  Ed only wants to come back if he's loved.  If he's begged.  Vomit in my mouth.

If he's a man of his word, he's retired, he's passed the torch, today was a bit of nostalgia for that tiny fraction of the world that even gives a crap about him and now we can move on and find a normal team mascot with a plush head and a permanent smile who doesn't PMS every time the Jets have a bump in the road.

Ed Anzalone's fragile feelings were part of the Rex Ryan Circus.  We have professionals running this team now. 

SAR I

As I have more updates, I will post them. 

How about you don't.

Bi-plane banners, billboards, petitions, that's all a part of our past, a part of the Rex Ryan Circus.  It's a new day, new dawn, new regime, this Ed Anzalone drama fueled by the FireIdzik spam is weak at best at this point.  Big win today and you want to talk about our angry mascot?  You want to take credit for a 20 second chant that meant nothing to no one? 

The two of you have had your 15 minutes and now we can focus on the Jets.  Early indications are we have a real football team again.  No more circus.

SAR I

How about you don't.

Bi-plane banners, billboards, petitions, that's all a part of our past, a part of the Rex Ryan Circus.  It's a new day, new dawn, new regime, this Ed Anzalone drama fueled by the FireIdzik spam is weak at best at this point.  Big win today and you want to talk about our angry mascot?  You want to take credit for a 20 second chant that meant nothing to no one? 

The two of you have had your 15 minutes and now we can focus on the Jets.  Early indications are we have a real football team again.  No more circus.

SAR I

meant nothing to anyone…. except the entire stadium - Brandon Marshall - Darrelle Revis.. and pretty much everybody else not named Sar. Sad life you have, my man.. you should learn to lighten up and enjoy yourself once in a while. 

meant nothing to anyone…. except the entire stadium - Brandon Marshall - Darrelle Revis.. and pretty much everybody else not named Sar. Sad life you have, my man.. you should learn to lighten up and enjoy yourself once in a while. 

Enough.  15 minutes is enough.  You don't get 16. 

If any torch has been passed, it's yours.  If Darrelle Revis and Brandon Marshall want Fireman Ed back they've already done more for the guy in 6 minutes than you've been able to accomplish in 6 months.  It wasn't your petition or media blip in April that did this.  The Jets asked Ed to come back for a game, he said okay, and now it's up to the players and the PSL owners to see where it goes from here.

If today isn't Ed's retirement day, at least we know it's yours.

SAR I

It was awesome having Ed back in the stadium. The crowd was the loudest it's been ever since he left. The fans were awesome today and the chant is alive again.

The fans were awesome today because Rex Ryan and John Idzik are gone and the team on the field gives us cause to believe again.  Period.

If Mr. Met were mothballed tomorrow, Citifield would still be just as loud as it was yesterday.  It's not about a mascot.  It's not about some "chant".  Put a quality product on the field, we'll start cheering loudly again.  To say that the reason we were louder today (Bowles blowout) than the day Ed left (Buttfumble humiliation) is due to an angry mascot is just about the funniest thing I've heard in a long time.

SAR I

Enough.  15 minutes is enough.  You don't get 16. 

If any torch has been passed, it's yours.  If Darrelle Revis and Brandon Marshall want Fireman Ed back they've already done more for the guy in 6 minutes than you've been able to accomplish in 6 months.  It wasn't your petition or media blip in April that did this.  The Jets asked Ed to come back for a game, he said okay, and now it's up to the players and the PSL owners to see where it goes from here.

If today isn't Ed's retirement day, at least we know it's yours.

SAR I

except that without the petition that you called a failure, today would have never happened… and Revis and Marshall would have never made those statements… I don't go around pounding my chest or taking credit for things that I had nothing to do with.. you give me way more credit than I deserve for the Idzik campaign.. and you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about with this one.

Thousands of real fans thanked me and my team for their efforts in making today happen. You are nothing but a man who refuses to fold a losing hand. It is getting a bit pathetic (not that you care).

except that without the petition that you called a failure, today would have never happened… and Revis and Marshall would have never made those statements… I don't go around pounding my chest or taking credit for things that I had nothing to do with.. you give me way more credit than I deserve for the Idzik campaign.. and you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about with this one.

Thousands of real fans thanked me and my team for their efforts in making today happen. You are nothing but a man who refuses to fold a losing hand. It is getting a bit pathetic (not that you care).

There is no winning or losing hand, it's Fireman Ed's life, not yours.

You made your point with a media petition, I made my point with forum comments, and that's it.  It's over.  It's now in Fireman Ed's hands and if Darrelle Revis and Brandon Marshall want the guy back it's time for you to stop pushing for it and it's time for me to stop whining about it.  So move on, be a good Jets fan, and talk about something that isn't a potential revenue generator (if that's even possible considering your true motives).

SAR I

It was pretty awesome hearing the stadium loud with the chant again. And it is interesting how Ed can get people more into it than others. Ostensibly it's a pretty simple thing, especially if the Jets put you on the big screens. But I guess with more folks recognizing you etc multiplied by 70,000 it makes a huge difference.

To me it would be best if Ed just stuck around. If a new superman takes over...was it JetMan with a green cape and license plate in the opposite end zone yesterday?...it makes the situation feel a little silly. Like here is the new crazy super fan.

But whatever - on balance I like the chant and it is great when the stadium is loud like that. And it is probably great for the kids.

great day and win yesterday!!

Archived