Cromarty injury blessing in disguise?

Jetster

First I never want to see injuries & I hope Cro isn't hurt badly but he had been getting burnt by our backup receivers all training camp.

On a 3rd & 19 he actually went for a short move by the WR? This is Exactly what people said would happen when he lost his athletic ability & suddenness. Cro wasn't known for his smarts or his technique. You have to know the situation, down & distance. 

If Cro is down it opens a roster spot & also let's Williams get more playing time. Cro wasn't getting better, he was getting worse. Let's hope he can come back this year as depth, but I honestly believe the younger guys are better players right now. Saves Bowles from having to bench a veteran.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Relax with this sh*t.

If Marcus Williams is better than Cro, then it would have ultimately shown through and the coaching staff would have adjusted to it. No need to celebrate the injury as good fortune, because it implies the coaching staff would be like Rex's crew with the biased lineup decisions.

Relax with this sh*t.

If Marcus Williams is better than Cro, then it would have ultimately shown through and the coaching staff would have adjusted to it. No need to celebrate the injury as good fortune, because it implies the coaching staff would be like Rex's crew with the biased lineup decisions.

Agree 

Relax with this sh*t.

You really don't know this. You (and we all) WISH this is the case with Bowles, but none of us truly know.  My recollection was that Cro had a mostly bad camp and Bowles made excuses for him. That he wasn't worried about Cro and something about some older guys taking longer to get into game shape but he's a smart player and blah blah blah. 

They just signed him as a FA to play for $8M guaranteed this year, and chased after him so hard we ended up paying him so much more than any of us imagined he'd get on an annual basis, precisely because Bowles wanted him so badly. Cro would have to have clearly lost 3 steps to get benched by Bowles to open the season, and it would have to be really obvious to everyone.

Based on your assessment, I guess you are counting the moments until the day Smith gets back so Fitz can get benched. 

It is entirely possible that Cro was not the best CB on the team (after Revis) but was getting a benefit of the doubt he'd earned from past play and his contract. Even if he thought Williams had a bit of an edge at the close of camp if Bowles is wrong he looks really bad. It's understandable going with the known quantity on opening day even if he was kind of outplayed. 

You really don't know this. You (and we all) WISH this is the case with Bowles, but none of us truly know.  My recollection was that Cro had a mostly bad camp and Bowles made excuses for him. That he wasn't worried about Cro and something about some older guys taking longer to get into game shape but he's a smart player and blah blah blah. 

They just signed him as a FA to play for $8M guaranteed this year, and chased after him so hard we ended up paying him so much more than any of us imagined he'd get on an annual basis, precisely because Bowles wanted him so badly. Cro would have to have clearly lost 3 steps to get benched by Bowles to open the season, and it would have to be really obvious to everyone.

Based on your assessment, I guess you are counting the moments until the day Smith gets back so Fitz can get benched. 

It is entirely possible that Cro was not the best CB on the team (after Revis) but was getting a benefit of the doubt he'd earned from past play and his contract. Even if he thought Williams had a bit of an edge at the close of camp if Bowles is wrong he looks really bad. It's understandable going with the known quantity on opening day even if he was kind of outplayed. 

No, I know it.

Also, I said "it would have ultimately shown" meaning I'm well aware that right now Cromartie may be the starter for reasons you state. My post wasn't about Cro getting benched to start the season, my post was about the better player being the started in time - if that better player wasn't Cro. 

So, anyway, still no reason to celebrate a Jet injury.

No, I know it.

Also, I said "it would have ultimately shown" meaning I'm well aware that right now Cromartie may be the starter for reasons you state. My post wasn't about Cro getting benched to start the season, my post was about the better player being the started in time - if that better player wasn't Cro. 

So, anyway, still no reason to celebrate a Jet injury.

How do you know?

Cro has been treating this like a retirement job from the second he signed. He's given up on technique altogether and doesn't run the 4.3 to hide it anymore. The TD he gave up was some horrendous Aaron Beasley-type sh*t. Obviously, you never want to see a guy get hurt, but Cro going down saves Bowles and Macagnan the embarrassment that comes with having to bench a newly-overpaid yet washed-up vet.

Cro has been treating this like a retirement job from the second he signed. He's given up on technique altogether and doesn't run the 4.3 to hide it anymore. The TD he gave up was some horrendous Aaron Beasley-type sh*t. Obviously, you never want to see a guy get hurt, but Cro going down saves Bowles and Macagnan the embarrassment that comes with having to bench a newly-overpaid yet washed-up vet.

i agree Cro has been shaky since coming back ... Also agree though with the poster in (I believe) the gameday thread ... That particular play looked like the safety Jarrett's mistake on the TD

No, I know. I just told you this.

You know it as much as people 600 years ago knew the earth was flat. 

The reality is Bowles has so far benched no veteran starters and handed people the starting job before play began, including at QB. 

That doesn't make him bad. Those could prove to be right decisions or wrong decisions. But starting jobs were handed out before July/August, rather than earned after open competition over that time. 

It would be egg on Bowles' face - LOTS of egg - if a healthy Cro, who he insisted on picking up at that crazy compensation, wasn't starting. 

An injured Cro gives him an easy excuse if Williams keeps playing decent enough. 

This. 

Cromarty? Lol

Remeber when Revis got burnt deep by Ted Ginn? sh*t happenes.... Cro is still the 2nd best CB on the team and losing him hurts.

That was an obvious outlier. Cro hasn't been a shutdown or near shutdown corner since 2012. 

What Cromartie represented was a known quantity in March, on a team with question marks Bowles had never coached before. He likes blitzing aggressively so he understandably didn't want to have to abandon his comfort zone as a coach (and have to do so in his first year as HC).

Plus in general new incoming HCs always bring in guys they know from prior jobs. They all do it, and so would we all. 

I don't think Marcus Williams will be any worse than Cro. Sorry to see him hurt, but the guy was already on a steep downhill decline since 2013.

Including his "pro-bowl" season last year. Shame we had to shell out that kind of money.

Cro's a good guy but his usefullness at anything other than nickle or dime is behind us 

Williams played a lot better than Cro did.

If he keeps it up it is a blessing in disguise because it means the defense is better and our brand new HC Bowles didn't have to get sideways looks telling the lockerroom he's benching a respected leader(ish) vet.

Not a super controversial topic, everyone said they don't want to see our guys get hurt, but he did and it is possible we're actually improved, because the backup has discipline and technique.  But he's gotta do it consistently and no one knows if he will.

You know it as much as people 600 years ago knew the earth was flat. 

The reality is Bowles has so far benched no veteran starters and handed people the starting job before play began, including at QB. 

That doesn't make him bad. Those could prove to be right decisions or wrong decisions. But starting jobs were handed out before July/August, rather than earned after open competition over that time. 

It would be egg on Bowles' face - LOTS of egg - if a healthy Cro, who he insisted on picking up at that crazy compensation, wasn't starting. 

Pan injured Cro gives him an easy excuse if Williams keeps playing decent enough. 

No, I know it. You believe I don't. I also know you crater on the least relevant part of a post, while you likely believe otherwise.

Including his "pro-bowl" season last year. Shame we had to shell out that kind of money.

Cro's a good guy but his usefullness at anything other than nickle or dime is behind us 

"Pro Bowl" is right. He was in the right place at the right time and had some INTs, but the guy gave up 220 yards covering D Thomas last year.

No, I know it. You believe I don't. I also know you crater on the least relevant part of a post, while you likely believe otherwise.

lol if you say so it must be true. Just like you know with 100% certainty that we are better off with Smith right now (sans broken jaw). Meanwhile there were zero competitions for starting jobs on the 2015 Jets. Every single starting job was handed out even before OTAs started. 

I'll stick with what I believe over what you think you know, even if it's based on faith and...well, just faith. Cro was an $8M known quantity insurance policy for Bowles. He was handed the job and no one else was given a shot to supplant him. He had massive advantages - veteran experience in general, familiarity with Bowles' system, familiarity with Bowles personally, and $8M guaranteed for this season specifically at the behest of Bowles. There is no way he was getting benched even in the event of poor performance over the summer, which he also had.

Cro may have been the best option to start and he may not have been. Being realistic, only a lopsided summer on the field between Cro and another, plus probably some unexpected off-field Cro distractions, would cause Cro to have lost his handed-out starting job already. 

I never thought the Jets should sign Cro, as to me, he's never been a consistent corner.  He's always made bad plays, & also been a playmaker - - up & down.

What I don't agree with, was that the TD today was all on him. Cro played it like he expected inside help... looked to me like a safety missed an assignment.

Archived