Extra Points Rule Change

Smashmouth

This could very well be the stupidest rule change in the history of sports. How will the NFL look if in the SB the score is 28-21 the team behind scores to tie the game and misses the extra point ? Does the NFL really want this scenario to take place ? Because it very well can take place and its Moronic. How do you have games decided by Extra points ? We have all seen them happen but with the PAT being as easy as it was if a team blocked one they deserve it. I can not believe this happened. Why make kickers so much more relevant when they already were relevant enough ?

Discuss

The game has evolved and rules have changed steadily over the decades.  If anything, this rule change brings us closer to the era of the 1970s/early 80s when PATs were far from automatic.  In 1982 Pat Leahy was 26 of 31 on PATs.  Think about that for a second.  He cost us the division as one miss came in a 1 point loss to the Dolphins...

The game has evolved and rules have changed steadily over the decades.  If anything, this rule change brings us closer to the era of the 1970s/early 80s when PATs were far from automatic.  In 1982 Pat Leahy was 26 of 31 on PATs.  Think about that for a second.  He cost us the division as one miss came in a 1 point loss to the Dolphins...

I think he missed 2 in that game.

Did it lead to any two point tries across the league? I know that was one of the goals of the new rule. 

Where it hurt the Jets was when Bowles pushed them back on the PAT rather than allowing the point and taking the penalty on the ensuing kickoff (an automatic decision under the old rule). Especially when the second penalty was ten yards, that would've been so much better put to use making them kick off from ten yards back. 

Did it lead to any two point tries across the league? I know that was one of the goals of the new rule. 

Where it hurt the Jets was when Bowles pushed them back on the PAT rather than allowing the point and taking the penalty on the ensuing kickoff (an automatic decision under the old rule). Especially when the second penalty was ten yards, that would've been so much better put to use making them kick off from ten yards back. 

I assume that had to be the longest PAT attempt in NFL history.  

with your idea it would effectively kill 2 point conversions.  

Eh.  Nobody would try them during the normal course of the game, but at the end people would try them based on the score and the need for 2.  I want a botched snap to result in a try for two.   I understand the league wants more 2 point attempts, but I don't think it is going to make any difference.  I guess with kickoffs going the way of the dinosaur this is one way to keep kickers relevant.

Eh.  Nobody would try them during the normal course of the game, but at the end people would try them based on the score and the need for 2.  I want a botched snap to result in a try for two.   I understand the league wants more 2 point attempts, but I don't think it is going to make any difference.  I guess with kickoffs going the way of the dinosaur this is one way to keep kickers relevant.

Making kickoffs worthless is a far bigger problem than the XP imho.  Why even have the kickoff?  More commercial TOs.  Option should be other team auto-starts on the 20 or you can try a kick (in which cases, will usually be to attempt an on-sides).  This of course assumes the NFL doesn't want to make them relevant again due to injury concerns.

when the weather gets bad, the rule change will become a huge factor.  I think you will see some teams decide to forego PATs altogether and attempt 2pt conversions after every score.  Especially ones with good offenses.  Hell, Chip Kelly may decide to do that tonight anyway - and the Eagles will be under a dome.

This could very well be the stupidest rule change in the history of sports. How will the NFL look if in the SB the score is 28-21 the team behind scores to tie the game and misses the extra point ? Does the NFL really want this scenario to take place ? Because it very well can take place and its Moronic. How do you have games decided by Extra points ? We have all seen them happen but with the PAT being as easy as it was if a team blocked one they deserve it. I can not believe this happened. Why make kickers so much more relevant when they already were relevant enough ?

Discuss

So why even have the extra point?  IMO, if the super bowl, or any game, can be determined by a play the game is better off for it.  

when the weather gets bad, the rule change will become a huge factor.  I think you will see some teams decide to forego PATs altogether and attempt 2pt conversions after every score.  Especially ones with good offenses.  Hell, Chip Kelly may decide to do that tonight anyway - and the Eagles will be under a dome.

Pretty sure that's their hope. If you read the nerd articles on the subject, teams would've been better off going for two every time when the kick was also from the two, those odds have now improved. If that starts to happen, then the game is improved. Of course, those same nerds say it's better to go for it on every fourth down, too. Problem with NFL coaches is that they're all too conservative -and afraid of the scrutiny if it doesn't work- to make these changes in their philosophy. Maybe Kelly will be the guy who breaks that barrier. Really, Belichick should've done it on Thursday night. 

So why even have the extra point?  IMO, if the super bowl, or any game, can be determined by a play the game is better off for it.  

I agree. That's what they're trying to do. Make the extra point a play fans watch, rather than do the toilet-fridge-couch circle. 

This is when that rule change gets interesting.  Stupid but interesting. 

"Honestly, I thought I hit it pretty well," Bullock said Monday,according to the Houston Chronicle. "I hit it pretty well. It just tailed off more than anything. That's the impact of the new rule. It's not a routine play."

Bullock wasn't alone. There were four extra points missed in Sunday's action, a sharp uptick compared to past seasons. According to the NFL Media Research Team, just 37 of 6,447 PATs were missed in the previous five seasons. That breaks down to an average of 7.4 misses per season

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000530584/article/extra-point-misses-up-significantly-after-rule-change

Hah that would require they score a TD. Bradford sucks, I chuckled when this board was on his dick for a while. Best decision PHI made is not to sign him long term yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived