Fans in Attendance Yesterday

BallinPB

I rarely post, but these attendance threads always get my attention.  

When I got my season tickets in 1991, it was really the only way to ensure you could get into games consistently (unless you were willing to deal with scalpers or brokers every week, which was not ideal).  I also got them when I had no kids, and lived just a few minutes from the stadium...which I mention only because most of us have had life changes in 25 years+ of ticket ownership.

Candidly, there is NO reason to buy season tickets now as tickets for every game are available legally online, often below face value (Unless you want to sit with a large group all the time...but for 2-4 seats you can buy every week no matter what).  In fact, I think this is causing a dilemma for the Jets as fans know that they are dumping tickets to brokers that drive the resale down for customers that paid huge PSL's.  

This is not unique to the Jets.  Teams like the Redskins and Dolphins have downsized their stadiums...the Redskins had a Giants like waiting list and thought an 80,000 seat stadium would work.  They now know that they can't.  I honestly believe that in the near future (barring a Superbowl trip) the Jets will make the decision to cover the high end zone seats and reduce the capacity to 68,000 to 70,000.  I know it sounds counter intuitive, but it will make the remaining seats worth more in resale an therefore worth more to the team.  

When I got my season tickets in 1991, it was really the only way to ensure you could get into games consistently (unless you were willing to deal with scalpers or brokers every week, which was not ideal).  I also got them when I had no kids, and lived just a few minutes from the stadium...which I mention only because most of us have had life changes in 25 years+ of ticket ownership.

Candidly, there is NO reason to buy season tickets now as tickets for every game are available legally online, often below face value (Unless you want to sit with a large group all the time...but for 2-4 seats you can buy every week no matter what).  In fact, I think this is causing a dilemma for the Jets as fans know that they are dumping tickets to brokers that drive the resale down for customers that paid huge PSL's.  

This is not unique to the Jets.  Teams like the Redskins and Dolphins have downsized their stadiums...the Redskins had a Giants like waiting list and thought an 80,000 seat stadium would work.  They now know that they can't.  I honestly believe that in the near future (barring a Superbowl trip) the Jets will make the decision to cover the high end zone seats and reduce the capacity to 68,000 to 70,000.  I know it sounds counter intuitive, but it will make the remaining seats worth more in resale an therefore worth more to the team.  

I concur

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just recovered from what was a TRULY enjoyable Season Home Opener in a VERY long time!

• Weather was ideal. No threat of rain and the humidity was non-existent. Sun all day.
  • Awesome Tailgate from 9am 'til 12:50pm that induced Meat Sweats. Case of Bell's Oberon Ale HOUSED!

• Team looked solid, competent, and was able to maintain a rhythm offensively. LOVE the Gailey acquisition. 
  • There were no stupid, drive-killing penalties. 
  • Fitzy was able to read the defense and maintain drives. His arm weakness does/will limit our deep ball.
  • We have a STUD RB in Ivory who seems to be coming into his own~ Tiffin U.
  • Fitzy's patience in pocket & Ivory's dominance = SOLID VETERAN OLINE!

• Defense looked SICK and will only get better with return of Shelly. SCARY.
  • Harris has still got it. Williams definitely has IT. And MoWilk is IT NOW for this team. He does open up others: Snacks,LWill,etc.
  • THANK GOD Mauldin and Cro  were not seriously injured and compromised for the season. 

• Crowd was SMALL compared to years past. 
  • Despite crowd, we cheered our @$$€$ off and that's BECAUSE THE JETS GAVE US REASON TO CHEER!
  • no need for stupid StadiumScreens trying to liven up the crowd. The Product on the Field was REASON to cheer enough.
  • Great crowd despite that it was NOTICEABLY smaller in attendance.
  • I left with 8:40 left in game 31-10. Was back in UWS within 1/2 hour which surprised me. My car smells of smoked BBQ pork chops- LOVE IT!

One last bone to pick:

WHAT is UP with our uniforms!?!?!?? IT's like puke SWAMP military Green. Looks HORRIBLE and faded. NOT a fan of how Nike has SLOWLY denigrated our uniforms. I miss the Kelly Green, even Hunter Green at this point. It's PUTRID. no longer purchasing Jets apparel with this 2015 $hit shade of green

Just recovered from what was a TRULY enjoyable Season Home Opener in a VERY long time!

• Weather was ideal. No threat of rain and the humidity was non-existent. Sun all day.
  • Awesome Tailgate from 9am 'til 12:50pm that induced Meat Sweats. Case of Bell's Oberon Ale HOUSED!

• Team looked solid, competent, and was able to maintain a rhythm offensively. LOVE the Gailey acquisition. 
  • There were no stupid, drive-killing penalties. 
  • Fitzy was able to read the defense and maintain drives. His arm weakness does/will limit our deep ball.
  • We have a STUD RB in Ivory who seems to be coming into his own~ Tiffin U.
  • Fitzy's patience in pocket & Ivory's dominance = SOLID VETERAN OLINE!

• Defense looked SICK and will only get better with return of Shelly. SCARY.
  • Harris has still got it. Williams definitely has IT. And MoWilk is IT NOW for this team. He does open up others: Snacks,LWill,etc.
  • THANK GOD Mauldin and Cro  were not seriously injured and compromised for the season. 

• Crowd was SMALL compared to years past. 
  • Despite crowd, we cheered our @$$€$ off and that's BECAUSE THE JETS GAVE US REASON TO CHEER!
  • no need for stupid StadiumScreens trying to liven up the crowd. The Product on the Field was REASON to cheer enough.
  • Great crowd despite that it was NOTICEABLY smaller in attendance.
  • I left with 8:40 left in game 31-10. Was back in UWS within 1/2 hour which surprised me. My car smells of smoked BBQ pork chops- LOVE IT!

One last bone to pick:

WHAT is UP with our uniforms!?!?!?? IT's like puke SWAMP military Green. Looks HORRIBLE and faded. NOT a fan of how Nike has SLOWLY denigrated our uniforms. I miss the Kelly Green, even Hunter Green at this point. It's PUTRID. no longer purchasing Jets apparel with this 2015 $hit shade of green

You always have good posts. I'm jealous of the great time you had!

When during the game was the pic taken? Those gray seats are designed to look full on TV, but when I zoom in on ur pic I see a lot of empties, especially mezz and upper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never mind, just noticed scoreboard. That's embarrassingly empty that early.

The Jets and Giants built a 82,500 seat stadium because there are 8,100,000 people in the market and MetLife can support them:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/year/2014

In one of our worst years ever, with a lame-duck head coach, with a terrible quarterback, with a boring schedule, and without a single star on the roster, the New York Jets led the AFC in attendance and were #3 overall in the entire NFL.  The Jets don't need to worry about resale values; they just need to out draw every other team in the conference.  Getting another 10,000 seats in the stadium doesn't cost money, it's not like they have to add extra staff to accommodate it.  Attendance levels and revenue is what matters to Woody Johnson, it's what makes the value of the team explode, it's what makes his ROI soar.

SAR I

Great pics thanks a lot for posting them. 

Thanks!  Another random note about the game.  I was out at MetLife Central (I think that's what it's called) for a bit during the second half, and this dude wearing a Peyton Hillis jersey crashed into one of those recycling garbage cans.  He freaking nailed it.  There were  those bottle cans everywhere.  A couple attendants rushed over to help.  He was OK (let me rephrase that - he was NOT OK but at least didn't look visibly injured) and he helped clean the mess then stumbled over to that 50 yard thing and took a seat and stared blankly ahead for a while.

Not sure why I share this.  But it was sort of baffling.  I've been very drunk before.  Many times.  But I just don't know how this man crashed.  He was outside the stadium in one of those wide open areas.  I just don't get how he so solidly nailed a garbage can out in the open.  I'm talking from a probability perspective.  You'd have to send another 50-100 staggering drunks down that path before another crashed into that can so solidly.

There are 1.1M people of Jewish faith in NYC alone, that's roughly 15% of the population of the City. 

There are 2.6M people of white ethnicity in NYC per census information, meaning that Jews make up 42% of those who declare themselves white in NYC.

Add to it another several hundred thousand from the suburbs and factor in the overall racial mix of MetLife Stadium and I'd estimate that about 30% to 40% of the NYJ season ticket fanbase is of Jewish ethnicity.  So if we were, say, 8,000 people short of a sellout yesterday with a very enthusiastic crowd, yeah, I'd say it was because of the High Holidays.

The Giants and the Jets both petition the league each year to not have a home game on Rosh Hashanna or Yom Kippur:

http://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/190597/giants-geoff-schwartz-to-play-on-rosh-hashanah

SAR I

He asked for a pie chart.

Don't forget to include the Jet fans that believe in human sacrifice. I think they park in Lot P out past Vietnam.

Some focking degenerate keyed the entire side of my car in the parking lot yesterday.  Probably some little dipsh*t that thinks it is funny to destroy other peoples property.  It ruined the good feeling from the game in a hurry. 

That really sucks.

Happened to my wife's car more than once.

We have a zero deductible on the comprehensive for that kind of horse sh*t.

Only costs a little more and eases the pain when some *sshole does that.

Some focking degenerate keyed the entire side of my car in the parking lot yesterday.  Probably some little dipsh*t that thinks it is funny to destroy other peoples property.  It ruined the good feeling from the game in a hurry. 

THAT SUCKS!!!! 

I'm sorry to hear that and if Karma's a MFer, that person will eventually get theirs. Sorry that dampened what otherwise was a GREAT DAY!

Yeah that really sucks.  What an a-hole, and for what it's worth as noted karma will eventually catch up with the idiot who did it.

Yeah that really sucks.  What an a-hole, and for what it's worth as noted karma will eventually catch up with the idiot who did it.

At the risk of turning this into an ugly fan behavior thread or sounding like a puss, I was sitting out in MetLife central with my young kid yesterday.  A few visibly very drunk guys are a few feet away.  At one point one dude calls me and starts telling me something incomprehensible.  But one part I did catch was talking about Michael Jackson and then using a racial slur to describe african americans.  Note - he was black and I am white.  But my point is - what the **** is wrong with some people?  I'm sitting with my kid and there are tons of other kids around.  One of his apparently less drunk friends noticed the situations and distracted him away from me.  But sheesh....

I guess the way I can spin it positively - I can now tell my kid - remember that drunken idiot?  Don't be like him.

I started taking my son to Jet games when he was 8.  I told him he was going to hear alot of bad words and not to repeat them.

Didn't have to explain anything after that.  You know they are hearing it all and alot worse on the school bus.  That was 18 years ago.

He turned out fine.  2 college degrees and now a successful executive. 

On another front, I thought the video during the game with the kids talking about reporting bad behavior was clever and effective.  Too bad they can't control it in the parking lot.

MetLife Stadium is only 5 years old.  By the time it is "blown up" you'll be dead so better spend your time enjoying the facility we have.

SAR I

There's nothing to enjoy about it. I'll enjoy the tailgates and the games. The stadium I will never enjoy. It's probably the least interesting stadium in the NFL.

The Jets and Giants built a 82,500 seat stadium because there are 8,100,000 people in the market and MetLife can support them:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance/_/year/2014

In one of our worst years ever, with a lame-duck head coach, with a terrible quarterback, with a boring schedule, and without a single star on the roster, the New York Jets led the AFC in attendance and were #3 overall in the entire NFL.  The Jets don't need to worry about resale values; they just need to out draw every other team in the conference.  Getting another 10,000 seats in the stadium doesn't cost money, it's not like they have to add extra staff to accommodate it.  Attendance levels and revenue is what matters to Woody Johnson, it's what makes the value of the team explode, it's what makes his ROI soar.

SAR I

You are confusing attendance and ticket sales...the league stopped reporting butts in seats a long time ago. I love the team and its obvious they are not selling out that stadium. 

And of course they are worried about resale value.  Why would someone buy season tickets when they can buy resale tickets cheaper on the open market?  I certainly see a ton of ads for Jets season tickets from the jets, so a bad resale market hurts them and they are obviously still trying to sell season tickets. 

You are confusing attendance and ticket sales...the league stopped reporting butts in seats a long time ago. I love the team and its obvious they are not selling out that stadium. 

And of course they are worried about resale value.  Why would someone buy season tickets when they can buy resale tickets cheaper on the open market?  I certainly see a ton of ads for Jets season tickets from the jets, so a bad resale market hurts them and they are obviously still trying to sell season tickets. 

The ESPN figures are not ticket sales, they are attendance, fans through the turnstiles and into the seats.

SAR I

Some thoughts from yesterday:

1.  The weather really held out

2.  Tailgate was AWESOME

3.  Game was AWESOME

4.  The crowd being loud had nothing to do with Ed.  He came on before the game started and the stadium is 25% full then.  The way this stadium is built not many get to their seats on time.  The fact we had some huge turnovers and scored a few TDs had everything to do with the fans being loud the entire game.

5.  There is now way they ever tarp off any sections of this stadium.  The Giants play at Metlife as well and I can't see them wanting to tarp and untarp that especially the when they have games two days in a row.  The Jets are looking to put as many people in the seats as possible and they hope they will then spend $10 a beer and $16 on an ice cream.  I'd say on GAME DAY 60% of the stadium is non STH.  I'd say in general the stadium is only 50% STH.  Just look at the names on the tickets when you buy them off SH.  The Jets do a lot of group tickets as well.  Look at who does and does not have a Jets Reward lanyard on their neck on game day.

Oh yea and my row won those Bose blue tooth speakers.  That was great too!!

Nice!

Another couple minor points:

Jets Cash is sort of working out for me.  I was mildly annoyed with the concept, but by signing up, using Mastercard, buying on green/white night, and doing auto-refill, I've got a lot of free Jets cash.  And with the lanyard on my neck I can just slightly lean forward and pay without reaching for my wallet sort of like Apple Pay when it works.  The vendors still seem a little flustered with it, but I think it'll be OK.  I realized I wasn't tipping when buying a beer with Jets cash.  This might be appropriate since $12 is enough already for a beer.  Yesterday I awkwardly handed the guy a dollar bill.  I also realize the Jets are now profiling my every move and using that info for Lord knows what.  But that aside, it seems to be OK.

Got a survey from the Jets all about the gameday experience.  It said the NFL is pushing these surveys and not the Jets themselves.  Regardless, it seems they're trying...

There's nothing to enjoy about it. I'll enjoy the tailgates and the games. The stadium I will never enjoy. It's probably the least interesting stadium in the NFL.

I dunno. While I do not like MetLife, I think it's far from the least interesting. There are the waves of stadiums that got built in the late 90s/early 00s, juuuust when the modern designs were coming into play but a little early before the current wave of globalized douche pseudo-fashionable stadiums. If you go out to Tennessee or Baltimore, even FedEx or St. Louis' dome; they look like they could be cool from the outside, but then you walk in and it couldn't be anymore plain if they tried.

And Sun Life down in Miami, my god does that stadium ******* blow; and that's before it fills up with Broward County trash.

Nice!

Another couple minor points:

Jets Cash is sort of working out for me.  I was mildly annoyed with the concept, but by signing up, using Mastercard, buying on green/white night, and doing auto-refill, I've got a lot of free Jets cash.  And with the lanyard on my neck I can just slightly lean forward and pay without reaching for my wallet sort of like Apple Pay when it works.  The vendors still seem a little flustered with it, but I think it'll be OK.  I realized I wasn't tipping when buying a beer with Jets cash.  This might be appropriate since $12 is enough already for a beer.  Yesterday I awkwardly handed the guy a dollar bill.  I also realize the Jets are now profiling my every move and using that info for Lord knows what.  But that aside, it seems to be OK.

Got a survey from the Jets all about the gameday experience.  It said the NFL is pushing these surveys and not the Jets themselves.  Regardless, it seems they're trying...

I like it too.

All you need is your rewards card and the lanyard and you never have to dig or reach into your pockets all day.

rich-guy.jpg

Oh my, I'm going to list my 2 open seats for the Eagles game at 3X face value on StubHub pronto.

PSL Gold.

SAR I

I don't think you'll get that much.  I took a look at stubhub and prices weren't nearly as high as I expected.

Archived