did yesterday's results change anyone's mind on the season?

batman10023

over the summer Southern Jet ran a poll on number of wins for the season.  Looks like about 40% of the people were around 8-9 wins and another 30% or so were 10-11.

Have people changed their expectations on the season based on the performance last night?

I think we can be competitive in lots of games this year with the decent offense. But on the flip-side our division looks to be tougher.

i am hoping for 8-9 wins this year and would love to get to 10 somehow.  

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beat a very beatable team that most of us probably pencilled in as a W.  So not sure why our minds would change.

agree on most people expecting a win (except perhaps for the few people who were expecting a 4 win or lower season).  However, it's more about the quality of play changing someone's expectations. 

Beat a very beatable team that most of us probably pencilled in as a W.  So not sure why our minds would change.

I have them in the 6-8 win range and still feel that way and I took the Jets in the JN survivor pool yesterday.

I think they have a very good shot at losing the next 3 games.  They played well for the most part but they got really lucky yesterday too.  The INT which was immediately stripped.  The fumble at the gaolline by McCown (while it was created by a great play, somewhat lucky IMO), then getting Manziel's sh*tty ass for the rest of the day (McCown easily got into the redzone), the bad snap recovered by Fitzpatrick on what would have been our 2 yards line.  The ball bounced the Jets way yesterday for a change.  

I dont see them walking into Indy and knocking of the Colts on Monday and sending them 0-2.  Just dont see it.  

It's not an easy schedule and it's not completely terrifying either. I still think this is a .500ish team with an outside shot at the playoffs. Yesterday was a solid first step in the right direction as a team. We'll see how it goes the next few weeks. That will be a more accurate reading of the Jets future.

No...if the Jets lost it would have.  I still think 8-8 or someplace between 7-9 and 9-7...every team in the NFL wins some they shouldnt and losses some they shouldn't...yesterday was a game we needed to win for this season to have some hope; we did, that's great, but we should have won.  Just like the Skins game next month.  We should win that game, doesn't mean we will but we should.

On the other side of the coin, at Indi, vs Eagles and at Miami...not sure we're "supposed" to win any of those games.  All teams on paper would be predicted to beat us as of today, which is why they play the games.  We need to be at least 2-2 at the bye if this season is going to amount to anything.  If we're 1-3, it will be Geno time after the bye and no one will care about this win.  Geno will be handed the keys to "save" the season...jets fans wont be so optimistic then.  

One week at a time.

Going to reserve judgment until we play Indy. Love the ground and pound game and forcing turnovers under Bowles. IK punching Geno may have saved our season. But if we win the next two games I might get on the hype train!

If the Jets win the next 2 games, at Indi and home vs Eagles, two teams that won 10+ games last year, it will be a national story and we wont be sneaking up on anyone moving forward...

If the Jets win the next 2 games, at Indi and home vs Eagles, two teams that won 10+ games last year, it will be a national story and we wont be sneaking up on anyone moving forward...

If they beat pissed off Indy at home next week those stories will start

I have them in the 6-8 win range and still feel that way and I took the Jets in the JN survivor pool yesterday.

I think they have a very good shot at losing the next 3 games.  They played well for the most part but they got really lucky yesterday too.  The INT which was immediately stripped.  The fumble at the gaolline by McCown (while it was created by a great play, somewhat lucky IMO), then getting Manziel's sh*tty ass for the rest of the day (McCown easily got into the redzone), the bad snap recovered by Fitzpatrick on what would have been our 2 yards line.  The ball bounced the Jets way yesterday for a change.  

I dont see them walking into Indy and knocking of the Colts on Monday and sending them 0-2.  Just dont see it.  

This is exactly how I feel. It felt like they recovered more fumbles yesterday than they had the last two seasons combined. I expect the Browns to be a bad football team this year, but if the ball bounces the other way on those three płays we could be sitting at 0-1. 

That said, I'm also a proponent of the concept that you make your own luck. I'm hoping the turnover ratio we saw yesterday was the result of an emphasis by the coaches on protecting/attacking the ball. So I'm optimistic. This week is huge against a hungry Colts team (and much better QB) on the road. That's where we'll really learn something about this team. 

No...if the Jets lost it would have.  I still think 8-8 or someplace between 7-9 and 9-7...every team in the NFL wins some they shouldnt and losses some they shouldn't...yesterday was a game we needed to win for this season to have some hope; we did, that's great, but we should have won.  Just like the Skins game next month.  We should win that game, doesn't mean we will but we should.

On the other side of the coin, at Indi, vs Eagles and at Miami...not sure we're "supposed" to win any of those games.  All teams on paper would be predicted to beat us as of today, which is why they play the games.  We need to be at least 2-2 at the bye if this season is going to amount to anything.  If we're 1-3, it will be Geno time after the bye and no one will care about this win.  Geno will be handed the keys to "save" the season...jets fans wont be so optimistic then.  

One week at a time.

i'd like them to win 1 of the next 3 games and be 2-2 for the first quarter of the season.  I think that leaves us with 6 winnable games and 6 harder games (division and cowboys).  Think we can get another 6 wins out of that much to be 8-8.

we did get the breaks yesterday as you point out but we also did win by 3 touchdowns and were in the position to score again.  So it's not like the ball bounced our way and we were barely able to win.  

we did get the breaks yesterday as you point out but we also did win by 3 touchdowns and were in the position to score again.  So it's not like the ball bounced our way and we were barely able to win.  

I have to say, the most impressive thing about yesterday's win was that the Jets were not impressive and won handily, if that makes sense.  

Compare last year's opener to yesterday.  You left that Raider game somewhat negative.  Rookie QB, bad defense - should have been a blow out yet they hung on for what was the only win the first half of the season.  The Jets didn't play great, yesterday but played hard, smart and have a lot more talent now - with a capable QB.  The Jets will win at least 8 games this season and 10 wins is definitely possible.

This will be a well-coached team they may overachieve a bit. The Jets won't beat themselves. But it's still going to have some long days against superior QBs. 

we will beat ourselves some games.  Every team does.  Fitz will implode a couple times, Miami and the bills defense will definitely present some challenges...but there won't be as many highs and lows as we saw with Rex where our team doesnt even show up, IMO...like every year after the bye under Rex. .

If McCown scores a TD on that run rather than fumble and get knocked out of the game, it's an entirely different game. 

I really don't think the game was as clean as the score showed.  

The Jets had problems but had a few key plays go their way.  Most importantly having Johnny Football in the game (he's just awful) and even then, at times, he looked good.  Just couldn't protect the ball.

Frankly, the defense was disappointing.  

This is exactly how I feel. It felt like they recovered more fumbles yesterday than they had the last two seasons combined. I expect the Browns to be a bad football team this year, but if the ball bounces the other way on those three płays we could be sitting at 0-1. 

That said, I'm also a proponent of the concept that you make your own luck. I'm hoping the turnover ratio we saw yesterday was the result of an emphasis by the coaches on protecting/attacking the ball. So I'm optimistic. This week is huge against a hungry Colts team (and much better QB) on the road. That's where we'll really learn something about this team. 

at least 1 of those was because B. Marshall is a BEAST!!!  No accident in the way he attacked that DB!

over the summer Southern Jet ran a poll on number of wins for the season.  Looks like about 40% of the people were around 8-9 wins and another 30% or so were 10-11.

Have people changed their expectations on the season based on the performance last night?

I think we can be competitive in lots of games this year with the decent offense. But on the flip-side our division looks to be tougher.

i am hoping for 8-9 wins this year and would love to get to 10 somehow.  

I am trying to remember what I predicted....

I think 8-9 wins would be my prediction as of now.  I wouldn't be shocked with 7 or 10, and gun to the head I'll go with 8 right now.  Yesterday influenced my opinion a little since now we have some data.  Marshall is a beast.  Ivory, too.  Owusu looked really good.

Cro looked old, though I think he thought he was getting help on that play, or at least that's what I read (I haven't rewatched the game yet).

If the D can stay strong and Fitz can stay right around average, I can see 8 or 9 wins.

Also affecting my opinion - Bills beat Indy and the Pats beat the Steelers.  Didn't see any of the Miami game and the Redskins are probably garbage.  But this all gives us a little data that our division might be good this year.

Good sh*t - can't wait til the next game!

From the opening kick off to the first half two minute warning? 0-16

From the first half two minute warning to the final whistle? Super bowl, biatches

That's more or less my thoughts on the game. The majority of the first half was just sloppy. The rest of the game the offense was strong. The defense was good but there is definitely some room to improve.

I had expectations that we would be comfortable on defense with the upgrades at DB, a former DC as head coach plus our DL and shaky on offense. Taking yesterday's game as a whole I feel far more confident in the offense than I had expected but less confident than I had expected in the defense. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Honestly I think the Jets looked worse than I thought they were going to. The Browns were actually moving the ball pretty effectively against us before Manziel came in. Even Manziel had a good series against us. The defense looked better and better as the game went on. The offense was a bit better than I thought it was going to be, Marshal is a gangster and saved us from a turnover. Long story short im thinking 8-9 wins and I was at 10-11

Archived