did yesterday's results change anyone's mind on the season?

batman10023

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We beat a team that may go 0-16 this year with their backup QB, while our last HC destroyed the team most people are picking to win the SB, nope, nothing changed. We did not even look that good, and we got pretty lucky in the first half.

Ah, but keep in mind WHY they may have to go with their backup QB this year. :D 

This is exactly how I feel. It felt like they recovered more fumbles yesterday than they had the last two seasons combined. I expect the Browns to be a bad football team this year, but if the ball bounces the other way on those three płays we could be sitting at 0-1. 

That said, I'm also a proponent of the concept that you make your own luck. I'm hoping the turnover ratio we saw yesterday was the result of an emphasis by the coaches on protecting/attacking the ball. So I'm optimistic. This week is huge against a hungry Colts team (and much better QB) on the road. That's where we'll really learn something about this team. 

Fumble recoveries are entirely random, so that's just regression to the mean after a particularly tough-luck 2014.

I thought we would be between 7-9 and 9-7 and this game didn't change my opinion much. Defense didn't look that good and like others have mentioned, ball bounced our way more than 1 time. In the end, we have 3 competitive games ahead of us where Jets will be the underdogs. If we win at least one of the next 3, I will be feeling pretty confident about this team. So for me, it is still wait and see. 

It's not an easy schedule and it's not completely terrifying either. I still think this is a .500ish team with an outside shot at the playoffs. Yesterday was a solid first step in the right direction as a team. We'll see how it goes the next few weeks. That will be a more accurate reading of the Jets future.

my feeling, too.  The offense might get better with Smith in there.  Don;t forget Sheldon returns.  Split the first 4 and take it from there.

This is exactly how I feel. It felt like they recovered more fumbles yesterday than they had the last two seasons combined. I expect the Browns to be a bad football team this year, but if the ball bounces the other way on those three płays we could be sitting at 0-1. 

That said, I'm also a proponent of the concept that you make your own luck. I'm hoping the turnover ratio we saw yesterday was the result of an emphasis by the coaches on protecting/attacking the ball. So I'm optimistic. This week is huge against a hungry Colts team (and much better QB) on the road. That's where we'll really learn something about this team. 

Agreed.  You have to put yourself in position to get lucky. Hopefully this was a result of an emphasis from the coaching staff.  That would be huge positive   The true test will be Monday night for sure.

we did get the breaks yesterday as you point out but we also did win by 3 touchdowns and were in the position to score again.  So it's not like the ball bounced our way and we were barely able to win.  

Yep!  The best thing about getting some breaks yesterday was they actually took advantage of it.  I dont think Cleveland has a terrible defense either, so that's a positive.

Fumble recoveries are entirely random, so that's just regression to the mean after a particularly tough-luck 2014.

True, but I thought the tackling was much improved yesterday- and they were noticeably trying to get their hand/head on the ball when tackling.

We beat the ******* Browns with their back up QB playing most of the game. This team still sucks. 

It's not who we beat or that we beat them...it was how we beat them. We started off slow on both sides of the ball, but when that off/def got cranking it was looking rather dominant.

Dude, I seen a 4 and 5 WR set yesterday. Completely had a hard on from that moment on. 

100% agree.  He had zero definition in his arms and I thought that all preseason.  Kid needs to stick to the NFL strength and conditioning program!

Yeah, once he gets stronger at th epoint of attack he'll be fine. His technique is good he just isnt strong enough yet.

The Jets are an 7-9 win team. But one thing impressed me. Cleveland is clearly a bad team. Past vintages of the Jets would "squeak by a team like this. Overall, they dominated. 5 turnovers 4 penalties and 31 points. Did they have their moments of suck? Yes, but they remained disciplined, focused and physical. I haven't seen a Jet team look like that in years.

This is the 2015 season, not 2014. I could give a rats ass about Indy or any other teams record last year or last 10 years.  This is a new team under Bowles and Mac and they are still growing together as a team.  It may take them a few games but I fully expect them to continue to improve; we just saw a few glimpses of what this team can be and that is without Richardson or our deep threat Smith (who should be available soon).   I am not afraid of Indy at all; I think they are going to have a very tough time against us, especially if TY Hilton is out.   I like Bowles approach and just look at things on a game by game basis because to me, there is not a team on our schedule that we can't beat. 

It is hard coming off a 21 point win to not be thinking of nudging the win total slider over to the right.

I think we will all find out much more after this week.  Can our defense dominate the Colts on the road the way Buffalo did at home?  Can Buffalo beat New England and throw the division up for grabs?

Ten wins assuming Sheldon gets to play more than 8 games for us this year.

did yesterday's results change anyone's mind on the season?

No.

Still project anywhere from 7-9 to 10-6, depending almost entirely on A. Health and B. Fitz/Geno Quality of play.

If Fitz can hold it together consistently, we win 10.

If Fitz fails and Geno plays, we win 6-8.

Same as I felt before the season, it's all on the QB.

think most people haven't changed their minds or only moved it modestly to the right.

will be interesting to see if people change their view after monday night.  i would assume if there is a win on the road against a playoff team folks will be more positive.  i would think even a "good" loss would get some people more excited.

clearly things are getting better, when our now number 4 (or 5) reciever was the number 1 guy for a couple of games last year...

the greatest qb of all time Derek Carr may be losing his job to McGloin soon...

He was on pace for another dominating 5 yards/attempt when he left with an injury. Maybe the most overrated player on this board only because the Jets passed him up. Ditto Teddy Bridgewater, who showed very little last night against a decimated 49ers team in the ugliest uniforms I've ever seen. 

Ditto Teddy Bridgewater, who showed very little last night against a decimated 49ers team in the ugliest uniforms I've ever seen. 

Did you see his 2 hail mary's before the half?  Can he not reach the end zone from the 50???  I mean, arm strength isn't everything, but that was just sad...

Archived