Punter

Ray Mickens 24

I'm not the biggest Quigley fan.  I thought he was inconsistent verse the Browns.  With it being past week 1 we can sign a veteran without guaranteeing their salary (though I know we have cap issues right now).  I know Weatherford is a free agent and I'd love him back.  Any other punters out there worth looking at?  It's something worth keeping an eye on.  What do others think?

Everyone looks at the Stat lines and his ranking from last year and thinks he's good. He had a high average because he punted a lot from our own end since our offense was terrible. Meaning he just blasted away as opposed to dropping shorter punts inside the 20. Quigley is very 8nconsisrent and isn't proficient at killing punts in the corners or backing teams up deep in their end. Weatherford was very good at those things. 

Everyone looks at the Stat lines and his ranking from last year and thinks he's good. He had a high average because he punted a lot from our own end since our offense was terrible. Meaning he just blasted away as opposed to dropping shorter punts inside the 20. Quigley is very 8nconsisrent and isn't proficient at killing punts in the corners or backing teams up deep in their end. Weatherford was very good at those things. 

Weatherford was good at those things until postseason for us, w/ the Giants in '11 he was great in postseason.

This argument is very flawed. If he was "blasting" every punt, then he would have had more return yardage to it, reducing his net yardage. Similarly, if punters from good offenses were punting from let's say oppositions 45 yard line, they would have nearly no return yardage due to fair catches or teams letting it bounce inside the 20, helping the net yards.

In in that case, it all evens out. So Quigley having the 13th best bet average is a true figure and not inflated or deflated by offensive production. 

My point? Quigley was an above average punter last year. Not many punters get u 40 yard net. Only about 10 in the league and Quigley is one of them (39.9). 

This argument is very flawed. If he was "blasting" every punt, then he would have had more return yardage to it, reducing his net yardage. Similarly, if punters from good offenses were punting from let's say oppositions 45 yard line, they would have nearly no return yardage due to fair catches or teams letting it bounce inside the 20, helping the net yards.

In in that case, it all evens out. So Quigley having the 13th best bet average is a true figure and not inflated or deflated by offensive production. 

My point? Quigley was an above average punter last year. Not many punters get u 40 yard net. Only about 10 in the league and Quigley is one of them (39.9). 

While it's hard to believe, these numbers don't lie. I'll admit, I too thought Quigley was terrible (I think of him as Squigly short for "shank Quigley").It's clear he's decent. Thanks for the great data!

Is Steve Weatherford a good punter in 2015?  I know the answer.  Do you?

It is pretty comical the little woody folks have been sporting for Weatherford these days.  He was a complete disaster at the end of his time with the Jets, and he was quite deservedly sent packing.  He did have a bit of a rebound the next season, but has been on a decline ever since then.  There's a reason the Giants cut him and that no one else wants him.  I can understand not liking Quigley, but there's little reason that Weatherford is any sort of viable alternative aside from "hey, I remember that name!"

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not the biggest Quigley fan.  I thought he was inconsistent verse the Browns.  With it being past week 1 we can sign a veteran without guaranteeing their salary (though I know we have cap issues right now).  I know Weatherford is a free agent and I'd love him back.  Any other punters out there worth looking at?  It's something worth keeping an eye on.  What do others think?

Quigley had a fine game Sunday.

He saves is absolute worst punts from deep in our end and shanks these once every game or two.  We consistently get out punted, some of his great inside the 20;s were him punting from the other teams 40-45 yard line while other teams punters are doing the same to us kicking from their 40-45 yard line. I'm not sure why Weatherford is automatically brought up every time we talk about quigley but quigley is highly suspect and saves his worst for the most important times.

Talking about good punters is like talking about good defibrillators.  If you're even having the conversation, you're already screwed.  

That's really not true.  Almost every game involves your offense having to punt and field position changes what comes next.

Archived