Mike Lupica Reportedly Out in New York Daily News Cuts [UPDATE]

Maxman

NEW YORK - APRIL 04: Mike Lupica attends the God's Love We Deliver's 3rd Annual "Authors in Kind" Luncheon held at The Rainbow Room April 4, 2006 in New York City. (Photo by Amy Sussman/Getty Images)

Mike Lupica was “unable to come to terms on a new contract” with the New York Daily News,according to a report from Politico New York. The news is both extremely shocking, and isn’t. We’ve seen one seemingly untouchable print superstar after another get swept out in budgetary cuts over the past decade. So, it’s hardly surprising when there’s another one, especially with all the stories about how the Daily News is just bleeding cash.

Interpersonally, Lupica has his fair share of detractors. And, he just lost his New York radio show. But, he’s been the de facto face of the Daily News sports section since the 1970’s. It’s impossible to imagine the paper without him. The Politico report, which says sports editor Teri Thompson is also out, says Lupica “commanded one of the newsroom’s top salaries,” which is unsurprising given his tenure and amount of readers he engaged.

[UPDATES: New York Daily News writers are starting to announce on social media that they’ve been let go. It sounds like a bloodbath.]

http://thebiglead.com/2015/09/16/mike-lupica-reportedly-out-in-new-york-daily-news-cuts/

Edited by Maxman

Ring of Honor next year.

Good!!!

lupica is a ill' snot-nosed whiney pencil d!ck Jets basher.

could not stand his arrogance and was soooooo elated ESPN radio dropped his show. Lupica sucks, is a Jets hater and excelled at a medium that was lost once people went to the Internet instead of the backpage for sports stories. 

Good riddance

Great news. Manish next? 

• Upvote 3

Good!!!

lupica is a ill' snot-nosed whiney pencil d!ck Jets basher.

could not stand his arrogance and was soooooo elated ESPN radio dropped his show. Lupica sucks, is a Jets hater and excelled at a medium that was lost once people went to the Internet instead of the backpage for sports stories. 

Good riddance

But did you read his book?

As a kid, he was my favorite writer....by a mile.  Over the past ten years or so, he's become intolerable.

This. It was the same with jon Stewart on the Daily Show. At first his shtick was funny/enlightening then it became preachy and "i'm smarter than everyone." I was ecstatic to see him get fired from ESPN radio. I don't read the Daily News much and when I do I NEVER read Lupica's articles. Hopefully he lands a good gig in Nebraska. 

His show on ESPN radio was the absolute suck. As much as I wanted to listen to anyone other than Francessa, I just couldn't bear listening to his weasel voice for more than 2 minutes. 

Exactly.  Francessa may have a face for radio, but Lupica has a voice for print.  No matter what the content was, he was unlistenable

• Upvote 2

That's not politics... That's social commentary.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Yeah well when you mention the word liberal it is going to start a discussion that isn't what we want here. So that is why I said to avoid it.

In the 80's, in terms of the NY Dailies, he was hard to touch in terms of top notch journalism, and a hard-hitting approach that would not kowtow to the establishment. He was one of a group that made it ok to question athletes and question their approach to the public. You may not have agreed with his opinion, but you could respect it.

As others note here, as time passes and one becomes accustomed to the notoriety of being the fly in the ointment, you start to press those types of circumstances.

Same as happened with Dick Young

• Upvote 1

This. It was the same with jon Stewart on the Daily Show. At first his shtick was funny/enlightening then it became preachy and "i'm smarter than everyone." I was ecstatic to see him get fired from ESPN radio. I don't read the Daily News much and when I do I NEVER read Lupica's articles. Hopefully he lands a good gig in Nebraska. 

stewart left after making 30mm a year.  he IS smarter than you :-)

i agree with you on Jon stewart. the last year was terrible for the most part.

• Upvote 1

NEW YORK - APRIL 04: Mike Lupica attends the God's Love We Deliver's 3rd Annual "Authors in Kind" Luncheon held at The Rainbow Room April 4, 2006 in New York City. (Photo by Amy Sussman/Getty Images)

Mike Lupica was “unable to come to terms on a new contract” with the New York Daily News,according to a report from Politico New York. The news is both extremely shocking, and isn’t. We’ve seen one seemingly untouchable print superstar after another get swept out in budgetary cuts over the past decade. So, it’s hardly surprising when there’s another one, especially with all the stories about how the Daily News is just bleeding cash.

Interpersonally, Lupica has his fair share of detractors. And, he just lost his New York radio show. But, he’s been the de facto face of the Daily News sports section since the 1970’s. It’s impossible to imagine the paper without him. The Politico report, which says sports editor Teri Thompson is also out, says Lupica “commanded one of the newsroom’s top salaries,” which is unsurprising given his tenure and amount of readers he engaged.

[UPDATES: New York Daily News writers are starting to announce on social media that they’ve been let go. It sounds like a bloodbath.]

http://thebiglead.com/2015/09/16/mike-lupica-reportedly-out-in-new-york-daily-news-cuts/

I believe this is LESS about Lupica and more about decrease ad rates, ad revenue, lower readership etc..

The DN , I am certain, is bleeding badly.

As Warren Buffet said a year or so ago.  "I wouldn't enter the newspaper business" at any price.

I believe this is LESS about Lupica and more about decrease ad rates, ad revenue, lower readership etc..

The DN , I am certain, is bleeding badly.

As Warren Buffet said a year or so ago.  "I wouldn't enter the newspaper business" at any price.

Buffet you might not know has bought over 50 newspapers in the past 5 years.

It would be his privilege to land a gig in Nebraska.