Kerley, "'I feel like I should be somewhere on the field." (Merged)

JetBlue

"play better than them" sounds like you are telling him to do so now 

Yeah, do so then, do so now. Do so.

I have a hard time being sympathetic to players that "think" they should be given more of an opportunity than they are getting. My mindset was always to never give the coach anything to second-guess.

He'd catch 80 balls and 7 TDs on the Patriots. 

The only people that caught 80+ passes on the Pats last year were Gronk and Edelman. Lafell came close. Year before that only Edelman.

Kerley is nowhere near as good as Gronk and Edelman. Kerley is more like the scrubs that catch 40 balls for the Pats ONLY because Brady can get it to them. 

This is a stupid argument.

• Upvote 1

The only people that caught 80+ passes on the Pats last year were Gronk and Edelman. Lafell came close. Year before that only Edelman.

Kerley is nowhere near as good as Gronk and Edelman. Kerley is more like the scrubs that catch 40 balls for the Pats ONLY because Brady can get it to them. 

This is a stupid argument.

He caught almost 60 balls as pretty much the # 1 threat on a horrific assortment of offensive talent in 2012.  He followed it up with close to 50 catches with a rookie Geno Smith passing to him...  again, he was pretty much the biggest offensive threat.

With Brady and Gronk he'd catch 80 balls and 7 TD's.

So you're wrong.  Again.  This is not surprising. 

Actually you are right about 1 thing..  this is a stupid argument.

This whole situation is bizarre and I totally feel his frustration.  He's a good player and should be on the field.  I'm surprised he's not being shopped because he'd be very effective in the right offense.  That said, it's not like he's missing out on a lot of plays.  The Jets didnt exactly spread the ball around a whole lot on Sunday.  Outside of Powell and Ivory on a check down, only 3 other players touched the ball in the passing game (Decker, Marshall and Owusu).  And while I get the blocking perspective to an extent...Kerley has been on the field plenty when the Jets have had success running the ball over the years, so that's kind of b.s.   

No throws to a TE.  Only WR's (3).  So it's not like there were a ton of balls going around. 

If Kerley was a Patriot, Julian Edelman would be on the bench.

• Upvote 1

He caught almost 60 balls as pretty much the # 1 threat on a horrific assortment of offensive talent in 2012.  He followed it up with close to 50 catches with a rookie Geno Smith passing to him...  again, he was pretty much the biggest offensive threat.

With Brady and Gronk he'd catch 80 balls and 7 TD's.

So you're wrong.  Again.  This is not surprising. 

Actually you are right about 1 thing..  this is a stupid argument.

lol, jeezus you are stupid. There is no right and wrong when discussing hypotheticals. There is what evidence suggests and what it does not.

Evidence does not suggest that Kerley could replace either Gronk or Edelman in that lineup and match their stats, because he is nowhere close to as talented. Nor does it suggest that there would be another 80 passes to be completed to Kerley after Gronk and Edelman get their 180 or so. All that is left in that offense, even IF Kerley is the 3rd best pass-catcher (which he isn't) is about 40 catches. Given that Kerley is a role-player at best, and Brady spreads the ball around to role-players... but the key thing is, the role-players are interchangeable. Gronk and Edelman are not. 

What Kerley did as part of our horrid offense 3 years ago is in no way an indicator of what he'd do in the Patriots system today.

This is another situation where the team is showing little respect for Bowles.

Still hoping it's a residual effect of the joke of an organization Rex was running - but I would have hoped he would have cleaned things up a bit by now.

I realize I'm in the minority, but I'm not in love with what Bowles has done so far...He's actually shown me very little and I have some concerns.

Wes Welkers 1st 2 years with Miami he caught 29 and 67 balls...  the next 2 years with the Pats he caught 112 and 111.  Edleman is a college QB drafted in the 7th round who the Pats converted to fill the white slot receiver role on the Pats.  The fact he is as successful as he is only proves my point more.

There is way more evidence to suggest that a quick, shifty receiver like Kerley would excel with the Pats than the nonsense you're trying to spew. 

You're wrong this time, sport.  No biggie.  Go order a Grande Frappuccino, cheese Danish and move on to the next subject you'll be wrong about.

I agree with you completely. 

Wes Welkers 1st 2 years with Miami he caught 29 and 67 balls...  the next 2 years with the Pats he caught 112 and 111.  Edleman is a college QB drafted in the 7th round who the Pats converted to fill the white slot receiver role on the Pats.  The fact he is as successful as he is only proves my point more.

There is way more evidence to suggest that a quick, shifty receiver like Kerley would excel with the Pats than the nonsense you're trying to spew. 

You're wrong this time, sport.  No biggie.  Go order a Grande Frappuccino, cheese Danish and move on to the next subject you'll be wrong about.

Kerley isn't quick and/or shifty. That's why we read about him not getting reps during camp in the slot last year, and again this year.

He's not quick enough for the slot, he's not big/fast enough for the outside. He hasn't committed himself to being good on special teams. My points about the Patriots system prove that a certain type of player can excel in the system they run. Kerley is not that type of player. Your original statement was that you could put him on the Patriots right now and he'd catch 80 balls. Which would absolutely not happen, given that Gronk and Edelman are there. 

Welping about how wrong I am, pretty much proves the opposite. 

You're still the biggest nancy on this site.

Kerley isn't quick and/or shifty. That's why we read about him not getting reps during camp in the slot last year, and again this year.

He's not quick enough for the slot, he's not big/fast enough for the outside. He hasn't committed himself to being good on special teams. My points about the Patriots system prove that a certain type of player can excel in the system they run. Kerley is not that type of player. Your original statement was that you could put him on the Patriots right now and he'd catch 80 balls. Which would absolutely not happen, given that Gronk and Edelman are there. 

Welping about how wrong I am, pretty much proves the opposite. 

You're still the biggest nancy on this site.

He's not?  That's now what the draft profiles said.

Strengths

Kerley explodes off the line and reaches top speed instantly. Possesses very reliable hands and quickly secures the ball. Has fluid hips and great lateral agility which makes him very difficult to tackle in the open field. Shows good vision as a return man and has the quickness to exploit seams. Willing run blocker.

Overview

Kerley is a shifty wide receiver that could be a valuable asset as a return man at the next level. He is a very raw route runner, but he has the lateral agility to separate on underneath routes and a knack for making people miss in the open field. He could develop into a solid slot receiver with time. As a return man, he utilizes his strong hands to secure the ball in traffic and quickly hits lanes for positive yardage. Kerley will likely be a mid-to-late round pick due to his play making abilities.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/jeremy-kerley?id=2495189#tab=0

Not sure if that is Brandt or Zierlein, but c'mon.  The kid had 850 yards receiving in a Tony Sparano offense.  That is like getting 1,700 with Sean Payton.

FYI: Brandon LaFell had 74 catches last year.  50% more than he did in his previous best - which was considerably worse than Kerley's best year.
Edited by #27TheDominator
Forgot to mention Jo-Jo
  • Upvote 2

He's not?  That's now what the draft profiles said.

Not sure if that is Brandt or Zierlein, but c'mon.  The kid had 850 yards receiving in a Tony Sparano offense.  That is like getting 1,700 with Sean Payton.

FYI: Brandon LaFell had 74 catches last year.  50% more than he did in his previous best - which was considerably worse than Kerley's best year.

His his draft profile is quite a bit older than looking at what he can do this season.

pac said he can be dropped into the Pats offense right now and get 80 catches. That means, at best, he's getting whatever is left after 90 for gronk, 90 for Edelman, 50 for the Vereen role, 40 for half a season of lafell. That's 280 completions. Brady is good for 350, and usually has 3-5 other receivers with 30 catches. 

Kerly would be be one of them.

hed also have to play special teams to even stick on that roster as a 4th WR.

kerley isn't good enough to replace gronk or Edelman, or even lafell. Therefore he's not making 80 catches for the Pats.

anyway, I thought PAC might be able to do something funny if I engaged... This is boring.
Edited by Integrity28
Mobile skin fail
  • Thumb Down 1

This whole situation is bizarre and I totally feel his frustration.  He's a good player and should be on the field.  I'm surprised he's not being shopped because he'd be very effective in the right offense.  That said, it's not like he's missing out on a lot of plays.  The Jets didnt exactly spread the ball around a whole lot on Sunday.  Outside of Powell and Ivory on a check down, only 3 other players touched the ball in the passing game (Decker, Marshall and Owusu).  And while I get the blocking perspective to an extent...Kerley has been on the field plenty when the Jets have had success running the ball over the years, so that's kind of b.s.   

No throws to a TE.  Only WR's (3).  So it's not like there were a ton of balls going around. 

Reminds me a bit of Leon Washington when Rex arrived.  Similar, undersized guy, who got good production with the prior regime, who, for whatever reason, the new regime just was out of favor and eventually moved.

Reminds me a bit of Leon Washington when Rex arrived.  Similar, undersized guy, who got good production with the prior regime, who, for whatever reason, the new regime just was out of favor and eventually moved.

This is true.  Though Leon was still getting the ball, he just got injured for the year if I remember correctly.  And I think he was in a contract year.  Whereas, Kerley was just resigned (granted it was a different regime).  I think the way Greene played in that postseason, the way Smith was returning the ball and running the wildcat with the addition of LT made him expendable.

So while similar, this situation is a little more bizarre IMO.

After we cut him watch him go to the Pats and become the new Welker.

No response to this from the Ape?  Is he broken?

This is true.  Though Leon was still getting the ball, he just got injured for the year if I remember correctly.  And I think he was in a contract year.  Whereas, Kerley was just resigned (granted it was a different regime).  I think the way Greene played in that postseason, the way Smith was returning the ball and running the wildcat with the addition of LT made him expendable.

So while similar, this situation is a little more bizarre IMO.

Yeah.  I think when Leon broke his leg he was coming off a 100 yard game.  With Leon it was more a difference of opinion about whether he could/should be a feature back and worth a contract.  I don't think there was any question he was a useful player.  The other interesting thing with Kerley is that he is still behind Owusu.  I understand there are lunatics that compare Owusu to ODBJr, but I don't know where Kerley fits. Owusu got more run and a ton a targets week 1.  OTOH, during cut down day, Kerley remained on the roster while they cut Owusu and resigned him the next day.  It may be the Kerley has just been injured.  You would think they would be more concerned with the cheaper Owusu being poached than Kerley, especially if Owusu was ahead on the depth chart.  I guess they wouldnt' want to take the cap hit from dumping Kerley.  Doesn't make sense to accelerate the bonus if you want to keep him.

I've always like him as a solid performer.  Not spectacular, solid.  I always thought he was a team-first player.  All I hear out of him now is wining about his reduced role on the team...as if the team owes him something.  

That prompted me to go back and look at some facts.  

• He's never played on a Jets team with a winning record, arriving in Ryan's third season.  Teams he's been on have averaged 6.6 wins a year (27-38).
  • His second year he caught 56 balls and his totals have been diminishing every season since then.  He was the Jets leading receiver during seasons when the Jets ranked 28th and 29th in points scored, 30th and 25th in yards.  Basically was the best of a terrible group.
  • Here are his career averages:  2.8 catches a game, 35 yards a game.  He's scored a total of 7 TD's.
  • He's played 59 games as a punt returner, returning 88 punts an average of 9.7 yards, with one TD and 70 fair catches (6 fumbles).

And he's acting like he's owed playing time.  He's offended that the staff is not giving him more time on the field.  Plain and simple he has had his time taken from him.

I'd like to see him stop complaining publicly and focus on becoming the best player he can be on this team.  Become a reliable punt returner.  Work in practice to get on the field.

Most of all - stop wining.  This team will survive without him on it.  His production can be replaced...

• Upvote 1

Kerley is actually a very good WR who could carve out a productive career in the Wayne Chrebet, Ricky Proehl mode - he's a savvy player, more quick than fast, who runs good routes and has good hands.  That makes him a solid No. 3 WR or excellent No. 4 on a team that needs a move-the-chains type in that role.

Kerley's problem is that the Jets don't need a move-the-chains type as a No. 3, because their No. 1 and No. 2 WRs are both move-the-chains types.  Bigger, stronger, more athletic and dynamic move-the-chains types - you can send both Marshall and Decker deep, or throw them jump balls (especially Marshall) but they are primarily physical WRs who excel at running routes and making catches in traffic.  That means the Jets need a burner like Owusu or Smith at their No. 3 spot - someone who injects some diversity into the offense by threatening the defense in ways that Marshall and Decker aren't already doing.  Putting Kerley in the lineup doesn't back the safeties off at all; that's just not his skill set.

Bottom line: good player, poor fit given the personnel around him.  Trade him to the Panthers or Ravens or Bucs (he'd clean up as their third WR working the short/intermediate routes while Evans and Jackson blow the top off the defense), and move on.

• Upvote 2

Smart to sign the extension but now he's too expensive to cut and too expensive for a #4-6 receiver so he's tough to trade. If he gets traded it's to a team desperate for talent where he'll endure another sh*tty QB. If he ends up languishing at the bottom of WR depth and making those terrible punt returns then he's just going to be a forgotten player that nobody will want at the end of his contract. He'll go into FA with a film full of waiving at punts.

Not in Baltimore or Carolina, he wouldn't

Kerley is actually a very good WR who could carve out a productive career in the Wayne Chrebet, Ricky Proehl mode - he's a savvy player, more quick than fast, who runs good routes and has good hands.  That makes him a solid No. 3 WR or excellent No. 4 on a team that needs a move-the-chains type in that role.

Kerley's problem is that the Jets don't need a move-the-chains type as a No. 3, because their No. 1 and No. 2 WRs are both move-the-chains types.  Bigger, stronger, more athletic and dynamic move-the-chains types - you can send both Marshall and Decker deep, or throw them jump balls (especially Marshall) but they are primarily physical WRs who excel at running routes and making catches in traffic.  That means the Jets need a burner like Owusu or Smith at their No. 3 spot - someone who injects some diversity into the offense by threatening the defense in ways that Marshall and Decker aren't already doing.  Putting Kerley in the lineup doesn't back the safeties off at all; that's just not his skill set.

Bottom line: good player, poor fit given the personnel around him.  Trade him to the Panthers or Ravens or Bucs (he'd clean up as their third WR working the short/intermediate routes while Evans and Jackson blow the top off the defense), and move on.

good points.  Decker and Marshall are much better than kerley on 3rd Downs due to their size plus we use decker in the slot.  Kerley is a good player and I'm sure the Jets are hoping/trying to trade him.  He is to valuable an asset to cut but just isn't needed in this offense unless there's an injury.

No response to this from the Ape?  Is he broken?

Yeah.  I think when Leon broke his leg he was coming off a 100 yard game.  With Leon it was more a difference of opinion about whether he could/should be a feature back and worth a contract.  I don't think there was any question he was a useful player.  The other interesting thing with Kerley is that he is still behind Owusu.  I understand there are lunatics that compare Owusu to ODBJr, but I don't know where Kerley fits. Owusu got more run and a ton a targets week 1.  OTOH, during cut down day, Kerley remained on the roster while they cut Owusu and resigned him the next day.  It may be the Kerley has just been injured.  You would think they would be more concerned with the cheaper Owusu being poached than Kerley, especially if Owusu was ahead on the depth chart.  I guess they wouldnt' want to take the cap hit from dumping Kerley.  Doesn't make sense to accelerate the bonus if you want to keep him.

i think it had to be due to the big bonus they paid out and the guaranteed salary.  i am pretty sure if he didn't extend last season he would be gone.  he owes his agents a big thanks. 

Wouldn't be the first time that a player wasn't happy with role and didn't play up to their ability.  If he's that good that he'd clean up other places my guess is he'd find a way to get on the field and be productive.  To me, an ardent supporter of his his entire career here, he seems like someone who's bitter at what's going on and is spending more time complaining than figuring out a way to get on the field and help the team.  I say it's time for him to buy in.

He's a good player.  If he wants to get on the field, with our depth, he needs to play great.  That's the difference now that we actually have some depth.  He didn't have to beat anyone out early in his career.  His competition sucked.  There are better players here now.  Stop talking...start playing.

• Upvote 1

So I see that the general conclusion here is that we will trade him. I have to say I agree after reading Gaileys thoughts about him below. Only reason for keeping him is depth as I see it.

1. What's up with Jeremy Kerley? Gailey basically said Kerley isn't versatile enough for what the Jets want to do with their offense. "We've got some roles defined, and he fits a little bit of a lot of roles, but not major in any of the roles," Gailey said. Gailey also said because Kerley had missed time—first with an Achilles injury during OTAs, then with a concussion during training camp, "we started molding [the offense] around other things, and we are where we are." The Jets want their receivers to be able to play interchangeable roles. Kerley, while capable, is pretty much a slot receiver. He playedjust one offensive snap against the Browns. "He's still going to have bits and pieces of things that we think that he would make a difference for us on, but there's not enough room for everybody on every play," Gailey said. "Unfortunately, with the time he missed, he's a little bit—this is a bad term—you don't want to say odd man out, but it's just we haven't created the role for him yet that he will end up playing at some point for us. We will, we know where it is, we'll get there, but these other things are things that we've been doing for quite a while, while he was out." Translation: Kerley's future with the Jets is very much in doubt.

2. On Devin Smith's role, if he does play vs. Colts. Gailey said Smith, who's been sidelined since July 31 with broken ribs, would play "a very limited role" if he can go Monday night. Smith has practiced in full the last two weeks, but he was inactive last week against the Browns. "He's really in fall camp still," Gailey said. "You can watch film and do it on the chalkboard all you want, but until you get out there and you do it on the field, there's no substitute for that."

PLUS: How being a former player influences Todd Bowles as a coach

3. Where will Devin Smith play (if he plays)? As noted above, Gailey and receiver coach Karl Dorrell want all of the Jets wideouts to be able to play in all spots. But with all the time Smith has missed, Gailey said he'd prefer to put Smith "in a spot—I won't tell you which one—and try to leave him there in order to keep it as simple as possible for him early in the year."