Brandon Marshall on Inside the NFL

AFJF

Just talked about what he said to Ed.

He said he told him it's offense, defense, special teams and Ed.  

Said hearing the J-E-T-S chant was the coolest thing he's ever heard and it gave him goosebumps.

Told him he can't pass the torch, must stay.

Cool, thanks for posting for those of us without Showtime, much appreciated.

Anything else said worth posting?

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

Sadly, having showtime was news to me.  I was doing  a search for "NFL" to see which games were gonna' be on in the Philly area on Sunday and "Inside the NFL" popped up so I clicked it for the hell of it.  Lo and behold, I had it, but I literally turned it on as Adam Schein was asking Brandon the question and that's what they closed with.

I really was surprised to hear his response though.  Even as somebody who loves the chant myself, the cynical part of me kinda figured the players could take it or leave it.  Marshall came across as completely genuine in saying how he hated it when he first heard it as a Bronco, but as a Jet it gave him goosebumps and he wants Ed back.

Sadly, having showtime was news to me.  I was doing  a search for "NFL" to see which games were gonna' be on in the Philly area on Sunday and "Inside the NFL" popped up so I clicked it for the hell of it.  Lo and behold, I had it, but I literally turned it on as Adam Schein was asking Brandon the question and that's what they closed with.

I really was surprised to hear his response though.  Even as somebody who loves the chant myself, the cynical part of me kinda figured the players could take it or leave it.  Marshall came across as completely genuine in saying how he hated it when he first heard it as a Bronco, but as a Jet it gave him goosebumps and he wants Ed back.

Yeah I honestly thought the players could care less too about the chant....pretty cool that he actually does care, he seems to play with a lot of passion too, really glad he's a Jet.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

always remember an interview years ago with a top NFL player, can't remember who exactly but they were asking about different NFL stadiums and asking about crowds and he said the coolest crowd was the Meadowlands when then fans got the JETs chant going, that players notice it.  I was surprised too

You guys are like 5 year olds,lol. Honestly Eds the last thing I'm thinking about regarding the NY Jets this year.

Well what brand of urinal cakes they use in the pee troughs at MetLife is last. Fireman Ed is 2nd to last.

I'm only kidding. Personally I really like having Ed there. Reminds me of Jets games when I was a kid. Always jazzed me up to see him on his brother's shoulders leading the chant.

You guys are like 5 year olds,lol. Honestly Eds the last thing I'm thinking about regarding the NY Jets this year.

Some here have bigger vaginas then a prostitute working at Red Light District in Amsterdam. Who the hell cares about Ed and how can you hate a guy you shouldn't give a **** about. 

Edit: The guy does a good job and he can stay as long as he is useful for the Jets chant. The day he isn't as effective he can get the hell out of Metlife and I wouldn't care one bit. 

Well what brand of urinal cakes they use in the pee troughs at MetLife is last. Fireman Ed is 2nd to last.

I'm only kidding. Personally I really like having Ed there. Reminds me of Jets games when I was a kid. Always jazzed me up to see him on his brother's shoulders leading the chant.

Considering that when hes put up on the video screens, gets up to lead the chant and the vast majority of the stadium does the chant all the SARS of the world who need to whine about something should just STFU, deal with it and find something else to whine about.  People like it 

Considering that when hes put up on the video screens, gets up to lead the chant and the vast majority of the stadium does the chant all the SARS of the world who need to whine about something should just STFU, deal with it and find something else to whine about.  People like it 

He's at worst harmless. So where's the hatred come from? that he "abandoned" the team? No I think he said he was still a jets fan and still watched all the games but wasn't active in leading the cheer. Some of this probably has to do with JDS - Jets Depression Syndrome. If you are a fan of this team long enough, we all experience it. Except most of us "treat" it by yelling curse words at the TV or venting on here. But someone with a public profile gets fed up with the losing and suddenly he's a traitor. I don't get it.

But someone with a public profile gets fed up with the losing and suddenly he's a traitor. I don't get it.

He was the Jets mascot.  He represented the fans and the team.  He knew this was his role.

No mascot would throw a hissy fit on national TV on Thanksgiving when the whole world was watching and storm out.  Imagine Mr. Met running on the field, punching David Wright in the mouth, and running off the field through the centerfield fence and giving the fans the finger.  That's what Fireman Ed did to us.

And he did it at our lowest point; the very moment we were forced to realize we would not be going back to the AFC Finals again, the moment we knew it was over for Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez.  A good mascot would be there to cheer us up, not rage-quit and make a spectacle out of himself.

SAR I

He was the Jets mascot.  He represented the fans and the team.  He knew this was his role.

No mascot would throw a hissy fit on national TV on Thanksgiving when the whole world was watching and storm out.  Imagine Mr. Met running on the field, punching David Wright in the mouth, and running off the field through the centerfield fence and giving the fans the finger.  That's what Fireman Ed did to us.

And he did it at our lowest point; the very moment we were forced to realize we would not be going back to the AFC Finals again, the moment we knew it was over for Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez.  A good mascot would be there to cheer us up, not rage-quit and make a spectacle out of himself.

SAR I

Except Mr. Met is paid to perform. Fireman Ed is a fan like the rest of us. He is susceptible to the same ups and downs that all fans feel. That's what makes him relateable. If he got up and led a J-E-T-S cheer right after the butt fumble because "that's what mascots do" we'd be cursing him for "selling out." True fans were disgusted by that play. And Ed is a true fan. If you want to praise someone for being resolutely-pro-Jets-through-thick-and-thin, you should talk about how the Flight Crew must be the best fans of all time. They smile and cheer after every play good or bad.

Just to be clear it didn't cost $60,000 but that's fine. Nice car.

Just to be clear, if my financial adviser felt it was a smart move to tie up $60,000 in a car as opposed to putting it into the market where I've seen 5% to 8% growth, I'd have paid cash.  I hope you find that agreeable.

SAR I

Except Mr. Met is paid to perform. Fireman Ed is a fan like the rest of us. He is susceptible to the same ups and downs that all fans feel. That's what makes him relateable. If he got up and led a J-E-T-S cheer right after the butt fumble because "that's what mascots do" we'd be cursing him for "selling out." True fans were disgusted by that play. And Ed is a true fan. If you want to praise someone for being resolutely-pro-Jets-through-thick-and-thin, you should talk about how the Flight Crew must be the best fans of all time. They smile and cheer after every play good or bad.

Be real.

Fireman Ed isn't "just a fan".  He's been elevated well above that and you know it.  If he were "just a fan" no one would know his name, he wouldn't be making public appearances, he wouldn't be quoted in the media, he wouldn't be someone whose mouth made a difference.  Fireman Ed is a mascot.  A bad one.  Not because of loyalty; because of attitude.

And it wasn't about the Buttfumble and it wasn't about that one night.  Fireman Ed knew it was over long before that.  Fans in the new stadium were different, they weren't blue collar, they weren't belligerent drunks, and frankly they felt embarrassed being represented by an old guy with a dem's and doh's Bronx accent.  We just can't relate to him.  That's not who we are.  That's not who we hang out with.  Doesn't make us bad fans.  Just makes us a different group of fans than used to be in Giants Stadium where tickets were $8 and all the 40 year old single guys without jobs and without families had a place to feel loved.

We root for a team, not a "superfan".  No one cried when the Mets "sign guy" stopped showing up, when the Broncos "barrel guy" died, when the Washington Hogs retired, no one knows who plays lead whistle on "Potvin Sucks", no one knows who starts the Yankees rollcall.  These are just part of the crowd, just random people.  No one knows their names.  No one wants to.  Ed made a spectacle of himself, he lept into the limelight, he took on the role of team mascot, and thus when he turned on the team he ruined it and can't be anonymous.  He created his own problem.

Anyway, he's retired now so none of this matters.  If some want the chant to stick, that's fine, get behind the new guy or get the Jets to film a player leading it and put it up on the LED screens.  The issue was never the chant; the issue was Ed.

SAR I

I like Ed and would prefer if he were to continue leading the chant, but whatever happened to the big fat guys in each endzone getting everyone up and going back and forth end zone to end zone? 

I would welcome that back in a minute. That's the Jets fan childhood I had. I actually remember when it started to shift to Ed. I was at every game in section 311 for about 8 years. Coslett, Caroll, Kotite years too. Nothin but the best for me. lol

Oh.. and Hearing Brandon Marshall say on inside the NFL that he got goosebumps hearing the chant is nothing short of awesome to me. It's what the child in me hopes every new player we get feels when they hear it for the first time.

My kids (who I tried to get to be Ravens fans like their mother to avoid years of misery) run around the living room yelling the chant during games. There's just something about our chant and it's mocked out there because everyone wishes they had one like it. Evidenced by the Giants and Eagles basically copying it for their own far less impactful version. 

Just to be clear, if my financial adviser felt it was a smart move to tie up $60,000 in a car as opposed to putting it into the market where I've seen 5% to 8% growth, I'd have paid cash.  I hope you find that agreeable.

SAR I

I'm doubtful whether anyone has ever found anything about you remotely agreeable.  I'm surprised your wife agreed to procreate with you.

He's at worst harmless. So where's the hatred come from? that he "abandoned" the team? No I think he said he was still a jets fan and still watched all the games but wasn't active in leading the cheer. Some of this probably has to do with JDS - Jets Depression Syndrome. If you are a fan of this team long enough, we all experience it. Except most of us "treat" it by yelling curse words at the TV or venting on here. But someone with a public profile gets fed up with the losing and suddenly he's a traitor. I don't get it.

I just dont get why hes an issue.  You go to the game, you chant if you want if not what the big friggen deal?  People having fun at a sporting event is a problem?  

Interesting that the three letter whiner who complains that Ed left bolted from JI when the Jets were losing too.  

First of all, I don't get why people hate Ed.

Second, have any of you met SAR in real life and is he for real? Is this really who he is? It's not a caricature?

I don't hate Ed, I try not to hate people I don't know.  I do appreciate what Ed has done but I was at every game in the 90s and after sitting near him at a game in 1991 I used to look for him every game.  He was nowhere to be found late in seasons in the 90s other than the 1996 finale against Miami.  That was one thing that annoyed me about him and 1997-2011 we were a good franchise, made the playoffs a lot, very few losing seasons.  2012 it got bad and he again disappeared.  I don't doubt he loves the Jets I just hate when people jump ship especially someone who is our mascot as "superfan".

I don't hate Ed, I try not to hate people I don't know.  I do appreciate what Ed has done but I was at every game in the 90s and after sitting near him at a game in 1991 I used to look for him every game.  He was nowhere to be found late in seasons in the 90s other than the 1996 finale against Miami.  That was one thing that annoyed me about him and 1997-2011 we were a good franchise, made the playoffs a lot, very few losing seasons.  2012 it got bad and he again disappeared.  I don't doubt he loves the Jets I just hate when people jump ship especially someone who is our mascot as "superfan".

Bingo.

SAR I

Archived