Rex to triple team Gronk

jgb

The Buffalo News' Tyler Dunne reports that "at times" the Bills may triple-team Rob Gronkowski in Week 2.

Advice: Bills No. 1 CB Stephon Gilmore, who graded out as PFF's top corner Week 1, wants the task of shadowing Gronkowski this week. That may not happen, but the Bills will do everything in their power to try to keep Gronkowski from beating them. It may not work, as Gronkowski is obviously the premier tight end in the league, but coach Rex Ryan is an excellent schemer. This has the potential makings for a "revenge game" for Patriots No. 2 TE Scott Chandler.

This is what Rex always does. Gets a macho thing in his head about ONE GUY he wants to be able to say "Yeah BUT that guy didn't do squat, did he???" We saw this in our 2nd game against Buffalo last year where we contained Sammy Watkins (who broke out against us the first go around) but still lost the game. Rex banged his chest in post game presser about how his defense shut down Sammy (who friggin' cares in a loss?)

Long story short: start carpenter in your fantasy leagues if you're hurting at TE.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Buffalo News' Tyler Dunne reports that "at times" the Bills may triple-team Rob Gronkowski in Week 2.

Advice: Bills No. 1 CB Stephon Gilmore, who graded out as PFF's top corner Week 1, wants the task of shadowing Gronkowski this week. That may not happen, but the Bills will do everything in their power to try to keep Gronkowski from beating them. It may not work, as Gronkowski is obviously the premier tight end in the league, but coach Rex Ryan is an excellent schemer. This has the potential makings for a "revenge game" for Patriots No. 2 TE Scott Chandler.

This is what Rex always does. Gets a macho thing in his head about ONE GUY he wants to be able to say "Yeah BUT that guy didn't do squat, did he???" We saw this in our 2nd game against Buffalo last year where we contained Sammy Watkins (who broke out against us the first go around) but still lost the game. Rex banged his chest in post game presser about how his defense shut down Sammy (who friggin' cares in a loss?)

Long story short: start carpenter in your fantasy leagues if you're hurting at TE.

Rex loves him some moral victories - we all know that. Look how he thumped his chest about "How tough the Jets play the Patriots" well, last time I looked Rex it was two losses. Close losses but losses just the same. One of the main reasons I wanted him gone so badly. Let's see how he talks after the Bills lose 24-22. He'll treat it like a win, and that attitude will begin to seep into the Buffalo Bills locker room.

OK, at times is different than in general... I thought this was going to say in general. That would be insane.

The Colts Tight Ends are pretty good, so it will be interesting to see how Bowles handles them. Was Rex really the problem or was it the personnel? I'm guessing the latter.

It was Rex,  if you watched the games you know...it was Rex. He had a hand in the personnel, especially before Idzik's arrival. Rex gave away timeouts and challenges repeatedly and while he will look good in Buffalo right off, wait until he starts getting a hand in the draft and free agency. That's when the fun starts, because Rex is great at taking someone else's team and doing well. The first two years here are proof of that. Then the Kyle Wilson's, Vlad Ducasse's and Stephen Hill's started to be high draft picks and we all know how that worked out.

who freakin cares at this point.  can't go back in time.  he's gone.  we'll see what he does with buffalo.  maybe he does great, maybe he does so-so, maybe he does terrible.  only one way to find out...play the games.

his approach grew old with me.  that's my personal taste.  people in buffalo are head over heels for him.  to each their own.

i much prefer how bowles approaches the game...win lose or draw

i'm so sick of hearing about rex on NY Jets boards.

yes what idiots discussing our ex-coach who now coaches a division rival. wait that could mean belichick too. no one complains about pats threads.

the "move on" crowd is just the residual rex love crowd that misses him dearly and doesn't like to see him criticized.

There comes a point of diminishing returns re covering players who simply have a physical advantage.  The place to pay special attention to gronk is in the redzone.  Smash him at the line of scrimmage on each play and gets some pressure on brady.

Sign Bill Romanowski to a 5 minute contract and tell him that Gronk stole his roids before sending him in. Hopefully Romo knocks Gronk out before his heart explodes 6 plays later.

yes what idiots discussing our ex-coach who now coaches a conference rival. wait that could mean belichick too. no one complains about pats threads.

the "move on" crowd is just the residual rex love crowd that misses him dearly and doesn't like to see him criticized.

Except this isn't a discussion, this is a cherry-picked quote hyperbolized so you have another thread to lambaste Rex and lament his time as our coach. It's okay JGB, he can't hurt you anymore, it's not your fault.  IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT.

Probably better strategy than not covering him at all like the Steelers...

Rexnation.com living strong! 

That was an embarassment

Except this isn't a discussion, this is a cherry-picked quote hyperbolized so you have another thread to lambaste Rex and lament his time as our coach. It's okay JGB, he can't hurt you anymore, it's not your fault.  IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT.

Yes the quote itself isn't a discussion. What we are doing now is. Thanks for clarifying. I also don't understand your joke. Can you explain that to me, please?

It was Rex,  if you watched the games you know...it was Rex. He had a hand in the personnel, especially before Idzik's arrival. Rex gave away timeouts and challenges repeatedly and while he will look good in Buffalo right off, wait until he starts getting a hand in the draft and free agency. That's when the fun starts, because Rex is great at taking someone else's team and doing well. The first two years here are proof of that. Then the Kyle Wilson's, Vlad Ducasse's and Stephen Hill's started to be high draft picks and we all know how that worked out.

Yep Mangini was just great too bad he never won the 1 playoff game he was in..:rolleyes: Oh and with a QB Chad that was left for him..

I'd like to see us put Revis on Gronk when we play New England. I don't know who else we have that could do a better job than him.

No disrespect to Revis but he could be in prime position all day and still get out-muscled and out-jumped for every ball. I agree with others that only way to slow Gronk down is at line of scrimmage and QB pressure

what i'd REALLY like to see is JJ Watt on Gronk in week 14.

No disrespect to Revis but he could be in prime position all day and still get out-muscled and out-jumped for every ball. I agree with others that only way to slow Gronk down is at line of scrimmage and QB pressure

Last year in 2 games against the Jets Gronks total was 11 catches for 99 yds and 1 td.. Now I think most would agree this years secondary is a tad better..

Good Will Hunting. In all honesty, if you haven't seen this movie you should do so this weekend. Great performance by Robin Williams. 

Ugh sorry my flip phone can't do videos and I'm on the road outside Duluth. Just explain it to me, please! The anticipation is killing me.

If Ryan does stop Gronk,will be the first time a Rex defense stops any TE. Ever. 

And the blitzing from everywhere is not going to work every week. 

So much truth to this.  Rex loves his lumbering run-stopping LB's who can't cover anybody, which explains why he got rid of an athletic MLB like Kiko Alonso.  Did you see his one-handed pick on Monday night?  Holy crap. 

kiko.0.gif

Meanwhile, Shady rushed for 2 yards per carry and has a bum hamstring.  Great trade, Rex!

So much truth to this.  Rex loves his lumbering run-stopping LB's who can't cover anybody, which explains why he got rid of an athletic MLB like Kiko Alonso.  Did you see his one-handed pick on Monday night?  Holy crap. 

kiko.0.gif

Meanwhile, Shady rushed for 2 yards per carry and has a bum hamstring.  Great trade, Rex!

Run stuffs keep defense on the field. spectacular picks bring out sissy offense.

Run stuffs keep defense on the field. spectacular picks bring out sissy offense.

Had the Eagles been able to win this game that would have been the play of the game too given the area on the field where it occurred.  But alas, the Eagles went 3 & out the ensuing drive as Bradford was still getting acclimated to the game he's been away from for nearly 2 calendar years.  On a different day for the Eagles that play takes away points from the opposition AND helps lead to points going the other way.

Yep Mangini was just great too bad he never won the 1 playoff game he was in..:rolleyes: Oh and with a QB Chad that was left for him..

right on cue. As always, you are the biggest Rex apologist on planet Earth.  Utterly predictable. Rex drove the Jets into the ground and is an ass-hole to boot. Go ahead and defend him.

Archived