I personally didn't need a confirmation but still a good read

Jet in PA

By Steve Silverman

» More Columns

As we head into Week 2 of the NFL schedule, one of the most compelling stories resides in upstate New York where Rex Ryan and the Buffalo Bills are stomping and snorting.

The Bills are coming off a rare winning season, and they hired Rex to take them even further in 2015. As Jets fans know, that’s a rather dubious proposition. Ryan has certainly been able to talk a good game throughout his coaching career, and he has some legitimate coaching assets. However, when it comes to winning the biggest games and delivering in the clutch, he has fallen short every time.

The Bills won their opener in impressive fashion over the Indianapolis Colts, a team that has legitimate aspirations of representing the AFC in the Super Bowl in February.

Ryan has some brilliant players on defense at his disposal in Mario Williams, Kyle Williams, Nigel Bradham and Corey Graham, and they made life miserable for Andrew Luck in the opener. Ryan, the master of the bold move, also made Tyrod Taylor his No. 1 quarterback, and he was quite successful during his Week 1 start.

Not only did Taylor show off his athletic ability and running skill, he also looked like a real NFL quarterback, completing 14 of 19 passes against the Colts.

So, Ryan is now prepared to play a game with AFC East ramification as the Bills host the Patriots in Week 2.

Ryan has his team worked into a frenzy to play the defending Super Bowl champions. Jets fans are quite familiar with Ryan’s ways prior to playing the Patriots. He enjoys nothing more than finding a way to stay close to Bill Belichick’s team and possibly outsmarting his old rival.

He may well do it this week, as the Bills have a strong team and the look of contenders right now.

But it’s only mid-September and though its a big game, it’s not that big of a game. That’s why Jets fans are so much better off without Ryan and with Todd Bowles.

Ryan gets so worked up over an early season game, he really doesn’t see the big picture. The idea is not to spill his team’s bucket to win in Week 2. The idea is to work with his team so that it gets better and better and can challenge New England for superiority in December and January.

The Bills could find themselves at a big disadvantage no matter how this game plays out. You prepare for this game like it’s the Super Bowl and win, and then try to rally the troops again for the Dolphins in Week 3 or the Giants the following week, and you may have a hard time matching the expectations set forth the previous week.

If you lose to Belichick and Tom Brady after telling your players that you are at the same level or better, the coach may have a hard time maintaining his credibility.

Here’s the real issue for the Bills, and Ryan knows it whether he is saying it or not. They have an untested quarterback. Taylor has some talent, and he showed in his first game that he is capable of putting it together and playing well.

However, he has no real experience. Last Sunday’s game against the Colts was the first start of his NFL career. He is going to have a learning curve and that almost always comes with losses and key interceptions thrown at the worst possible moments.

There have been exceptions, and the biggest is Kurt Warner. When he got his chance with the St. Louis Rams, he dominated right from the start. But the young and healthy Warner was one of the most gifted and accurate passers of all-time. Taylor has had one good game and has proven nothing.

That’s why the Jets are much better off with Bowles as head coach. Like Ryan, he is a former defensive coordinator who earned a reputation for being one of the best around. But unlike Ryan, he does not need to pontificate, command media attention or engage in a personal duel with a vastly superior rival.

It’s not about Bowles’s ego, but it is with Ryan.

Bowles wants the Jets to be better in Week 2 than they were in Week 1 and then continue that development going forward. He has a gameplan and a style.

Ryan certainly knows how to bluster and pound the drum. However, it’s not merely about the now.

The great coaches prepare and play for the season, and don’t go overboard for one game.

damn guy getting us closer to a SB than at any point since SB III.  I can't believe how he ran such an elite organization into the ground.

He took teams built by others, got the jets to two afc title games, his defense, his bellcow failed in both of those games and then once he asserted more control the team went down hill.  The same will happen in Buffalo.  His situations are very similar, come into a team with a ready made elite defense that he can brag about, he is happy going with an untested newbie QB and will have early success but will never win 3 big games in a row.

Don't worry Rex has a few years of total insulation.  Roman will be under the bus by years end and so will the next oc a few years down the road.  but the Bills fans will love him until they see, far to late that as a head football coach he is highly deficient.

damn guy getting us closer to a SB than at any point since SB III.  I can't believe how he ran such an elite organization into the ground.

he did it with manginis guys.  Once he tried to put together his own tram, he stunk.

same thing will happen in buffalo.  He will be good in year 1 and 2, but then the team will be in the tank cause he will have 3 1st round corners and no depth or talent anywhere else.

Happy with Bowles so far.  Seems like a good coach and cool guy.  But saw no reason to get rid of Rex.  If the time comes that the Jets are eliminated and the Bills are still going...  I'll be rootin' for him.

Speaking of which, other than Direct TV, any way to watch the Bills/Pats game Sunday?  Streaming online somewhere?

Rex is GONE!!

He is an excellent defensive coach and a tremendous motivator but he had significant flaws as HC, I don't know that he has improved but he is a good enough HC to get his team when properly stacked to significant games in December.

I hope that Bowles can do the same.

And for the record I love that Bowles is here,,,,

Happy with Bowles so far.  Seems like a good coach and cool guy.  But saw no reason to get rid of Rex.  If the time comes that the Jets are eliminated and the Bills are still going...  I'll be rootin' for him.

Speaking of which, other than Direct TV, any way to watch the Bills/Pats game Sunday?  Streaming online somewhere?

Screw Rex. I hope that his season goes up in a mushroom cloud. The only time I'll be rooting for him is if a Buffalo win is advantageous to the Jets.

Try http://livestreamhd.me/

What I have liked so far about Bowles is his balance both in demeanor and coaching, and the fact that our team has clearly improved each week. If that trend continues, I think we will be in for a good season. 

As for Rex he is a bottom 5 HC in the NFL, and the article is correct in one of the reasons why. Rex has NO balance either in coaching or demeanor. His teams are equally likely to play in a motivated frenzy as come out completely flat (exhibit: inspired against NE, flat and unprepared against Pitt). He has 1 or 2 games a year where he seems to come up with a good gameplan (mostly teams with pocket passers and so so defenses) but is completely lost against teams with strong defenses.where he become super conservative on both sides.

The reality is that his supporters give him credit for everything good his teams do and blame someone else everytime they go wrong. He is complete crap as a HC

no reason? haha..he should have been fired a year before he was

let's see...reasons:

1 Blowhard 

2. No real control of his team especially offense

3. Meddling with the offense and inability to ever field an effective offense

4. Inconsistent teams

5. Terrible and horribly inconsistent at preparing his team except for a couple games a year which he brags about the rest of the season

6. Horribly overrated defensive mind and a defense that values yardage allowed more than turnovers

7. Lack of turnovers by the team

8 Horrible in game management

9. Never makes half time adjustments

10. Way too loyal to certain aging ineffective veterans

11 Chose Santonio over Braylon

12 Insistence on using the wildcat which never actually worked

13 Pushed for Tim Tebow

14 Had a big influence over drafting and yearly wasted a pick on "his pick"

15 Regressed as head coach each year

Nope, there is NO reason....there are hundreds of them

let's see...reasons:

1 Blowhard 

4. Inconsistent teams

5. Terrible and horribly inconsistent at preparing his team except for a couple games a year which he brags about the rest of the season

6. Horribly overrated defensive mind and a defense that values yardage allowed more than turnovers

13 Pushed for Tim Tebow

Eh, no sense arguing over it now.  I disagree, but it is what it is now. 

he did it with manginis guys.  Once he tried to put together his own tram, he stunk.

same thing will happen in buffalo.  He will be good in year 1 and 2, but then the team will be in the tank cause he will have 3 1st round corners and no depth or talent anywhere else.

Bart Scott, Jim Leonard, Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Mark Sanchez, Sean Green, Cromartie, Strickland, (Pretty much all starters in 2010)  and some others and NO David Barrett. lol

Just sayin

let's see...reasons:

1 Blowhard 

4. Inconsistent teams

13 Pushed for Tim Tebow

I liked Rex , but this is all very true.

Not sure how those are arguable, but Rex discussions are a very very dead horse. Rex fans will never see past his persona.

just because you are convinced, doesn't make your complaints non arguable. imo, you are in for a long wait, if you are waiting for buffalo to fail. your only hope is if tyrod taylor falls flat. buffalo will be playing in January, regardless of what rex does to the team in 2016 and beyond.

CBS is supposed to be streaming all of their games free of charge this year. I haven't had the need to try it yet, so I can't comment on the quality of it.

just because you are convinced, doesn't make your complaints non arguable. imo, you are in for a long wait, if you are waiting for buffalo to fail. your only hope is if tyrod taylor falls flat. buffalo will be playing in January, regardless of what rex does to the team in 2016 and beyond.

I was talking about Rex as coach of the Jets. What Buffalo has to do with that I have no idea.

He took teams built by others, got the jets to two afc title games, his defense, his bellcow failed in both of those games and then once he asserted more control the team went down hill.  The same will happen in Buffalo.  His situations are very similar, come into a team with a ready made elite defense that he can brag about, he is happy going with an untested newbie QB and will have early success but will never win 3 big games in a row.

Don't worry Rex has a few years of total insulation.  Roman will be under the bus by years end and so will the next oc a few years down the road.  but the Bills fans will love him until they see, far to late that as a head football coach he is highly deficient.

The Jets defense was middle of the pack in 2008, so you're wrong.  Also, the defense was doing just fine against the Colts until the DBs started going down like flies.  They also only gave up 17 points to Pittsburgh.  

The Jets road to the SB in 2010/2011 was the toughest in NFL history.  He still got passed Manning and Brady on the road.  That's damn impressive.

I was talking about Rex as coach of the Jets. What Buffalo has to do with that I have no idea.

your list of complaints were of rex. he is now the coach of the bills. in your eyes nothing has changed. I think you do have an idea what buffalo has to do with that

CBS is supposed to be streaming all of their games free of charge this year. I haven't had the need to try it yet, so I can't comment on the quality of it.

Now that woulda been nice.  But no such luck.

http://fortune.com/2015/09/17/nfl-football-streaming-online/

On CBSsports.com, the network will offer seven free games this year and only seven games: two regular season games (Jets vs. Dolphins on October 4, Panthers vs. Cowboys on Thanksgiving Day), the five playoff games that will show on CBS, and the Super Bowl. Those are the only games CBS will stream this year.

That article describes all the streaming options.  Not confusing at all.  :blink:

When I saw the "NFLsundayticket.tv" option, figured I'd pay the $200 or so.  But of course the caveat...  you must live in a place that can't get Direct TV.  Bastards.

The Jets defense was middle of the pack in 2008, so you're wrong.  Also, the defense was doing just fine against the Colts until the DBs started going down like flies.  They also only gave up 17 points to Pittsburgh.  

The Jets road to the SB in 2010/2011 was the toughest in NFL history.  He still got passed Manning and Brady on the road.  That's damn impressive.

You and others (not many but you know who you are) here excuse the Pittsburgh performance like it was nothing. When his team needed to show up more than ever before, they looked like they spent the whole week jerking off instead of practicing.  When you have a loud mouth like Rex and you don't know how to shut it, you're going to be criticized.  He never shut the f*ck up about the super bowl and how he "guarantees" that he is bringing one to the Jets. I don't know about you but I'm still waiting on that trophy.  His third year as coach the team blew up and he didn't even know that his star malcontent was benched by his inept OC. I don't really care how much people want to reminisce on how "impressed" they were by those two blue-balling campaigns led by Rex because when it mattered most, he didn't get the job done.  

Bart Scott, Jim Leonard, Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Mark Sanchez, Sean Green, Cromartie, Strickland, (Pretty much all starters in 2010)  and some others and NO David Barrett. lol

Just sayin

Brick, Faneca,  Mangold, Woody, David Harris, Revis, Pace, Thomas Jones, Dustin Keller, Devito, T-rich, Brad Smith, Eric  Smith and some others. Lol. Funny how this team collapsed as Manginis guys got replaced by Rex's guys. 

Mangini became HC way too soon in his career. Had nice debut last week as DC for the 49ers. He's going to be a hell of a HC next year when he takes over in Indy

Brick, Faneca,  Mangold, Woody, David Harris, Revis, Pace, Thomas Jones, Dustin Keller, Devito, T-rich, Brad Smith, Eric  Smith and some others. Lol. Funny how this team collapsed as Manginis guys got replaced by Rex's guys. 

Mangini became HC way too soon in his career. Had nice debut last week as DC for the 49ers. He's going to be a hell of a HC next year when he takes over in Indy

You look at the people brought in under Mangini and the guys brought in under Rex and it isn't even close. Harris, Mangold, Brick, Revis are all still HUGE pieces of this franchise. The only thing Rex really has an eye for is d-linemen. I'll give him that. Anyone who says that the Head Coach does not have a say in who the GM drafts is so unbelievably out of touch with how this sport works. The difference between Mangini and Rex's tenures is the prime example of that.

I have Sunday ticket online so haven't needed to stream in a while, but when I did this site worked - http://firstrowge.eu

Also, this site will tell you each week by Wednesday or Thursday what broadcast live in your area - http://506sports.com

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

You and others (not many but you know who you are) here excuse the Pittsburgh performance like it was nothing. When his team needed to show up more than ever before, they looked like they spent the whole week jerking off instead of practicing.  When you have a loud mouth like Rex and you don't know how to shut it, you're going to be criticized.  He never shut the f*ck up about the super bowl and how he "guarantees" that he is bringing one to the Jets. I don't know about you but I'm still waiting on that trophy.  His third year as coach the team blew up and he didn't even know that his star malcontent was benched by his inept OC. I don't really care how much people want to reminisce on how "impressed" they were by those two blue-balling campaigns led by Rex because when it mattered most, he didn't get the job done.  

Giving up 17 points on the road to Pittsburgh was good enough to win (if the offense just scored some points).  Sure, they got off to a tough start, but they settled down and kept the team in the game.

And Mark Sanchez was not, and will never be, a SB QB.  Taking a team with Mark Sanchez that far was about as far as it was going to go.

Giving up 17 points on the road to Pittsburgh was good enough to win (if the offense just scored some points).  Sure, they got off to a tough start, but they settled down and kept the team in the game.

And Mark Sanchez was not, and will never be, a SB QB.  Taking a team with Mark Sanchez that far was about as far as it was going to go.

Tough start?  We got absolutely blown the f*ck out on both sides of the ball for the entire first half. I'm not going to start the whole Sanchez bullsh*t right now but you know what? He played well in the clutch in 2010 including the two playoff games prior to the AFC championship game, not to mention that he seemed like he was the only person who got off the bus.  There really wasn't a sensible Jets fan who felt we needed a swift change at QB after we were  eliminated. Also, Rex handpicked the damn kid so I'm really tired of seeing this used as an excuse to defend him.

You wanna blame the offense that's fine. I disagree considering they put the offense in the worst spot imaginable in such a short span of time and crumpled like a wet towel when it mattered most at the end. But regardless, guess what? Rex was the HEAD COACH of the team. Not the DC. He was responsible for the success and the failures on BOTH sides of the ball. It was HIS responsibility to have them ready for that game and he completely and utterly failed. Instead he had the team blow their load prematurely a week prior to make sure he didn't have to kiss rings that season. This article nailed it on the damn head.

Archived