### NY Jets vs Indianaoplis Colts --- MNF Game Thread ###

Maxman

Semantics. It's 2 games into the season and 1 of the games was the one we were in the middle of playing. The other was against another good defense also having a good game. That doesn't make them now the 1990s era Bengals. 

No Sperm. It's fact.  They are not a very good offense right now. Two games, two lackluster performances.  They are the 2015 Colts, on offense they do not play well against good defenses.  It will probably change but as of right now they are scaring no one. 

Edited by The Crusher

You don't play to eat the clock with a measly 10 point lead (against a top offense) with half a game (or more) left to play. 

they're apparently not a top rated offense while they're turning the ball over like they did and playing conservative football worked.  Lots of different ways to win, is don't love it either

No Sperm. It's fact.  They are not a very good offense right now. Two games, two lackluster performances.  They are the 2015 Colts, on offense they do not play well against good defenses.  It will probably change but as of right now they are scaring no one. 

not with Andrew luck's 3 td's- 5 interceptions

• Upvote 1

they're apparently not a top rated offense while they're turning the ball over like they did and playing conservative football worked.  Lots of different ways to win, is don't love it either

Well when we played them we didn't know their final 2 game stats until our game was over. 

Regardless, they have an offense that is more than capable of putting up points in a hurry. They went down field fast against us a couple of times. That they only came away with 7 points is just lucky for us. 

Jeannie, for your sake I hope you are right, but remember who your coach is. Ask any of us.....in 6 years, no Jet QB got better.

Thank you Section 314.  I really enjoy watching Tyrod play.  It also helps that he happens to be a really nice guy just like EJ.  I think they both will develop under Greg Roman and David Lee

No doubt we have a great defense who was also off on Sunday.  Tyrod Taylor was sacked 8 times -  how is this his fault?

It's not entirely his fault, but good QB's make pre-snap reads and get the ball out quick so they don't have to get sacked.  And you knew going in this O-line would be bad.  Rex was more concerned with acquiring shiny toy Shady and his "fix" for that terrible line was Richie Incognito and one 3rd round draft pick.

It's not entirely his fault, but good QB's make pre-snap reads and get the ball out quick so they don't have to get sacked.  And you knew going in this O-line would be bad.  Rex was more concerned with acquiring shiny toy Shady and his "fix" for that terrible line was Richie Incognito and one 3rd round draft pick.

Rex is the white herm. Line gets worse every year of their tenure.

Well when we played them we didn't know their final 2 game stats until our game was over. 

Regardless, they have an offense that is more than capable of putting up points in a hurry. They went down field fast against us a couple of times. That they only came away with 7 points is just lucky for us. 

They went down field on us twice.  We were beating the hell out of Luck.  The D played exactly as you would want.  This, to me, was one of those games where by half I never thought we would lose.  We were in total control.  Again, to me.  

They went down field on us twice.  We were beating the hell out of Luck.  The D played exactly as you would want.  This, to me, was one of those games where by half I never thought we would lose.  We were in total control.  Again, to me.  

This is my point. You "thought" this, yet - even without a major turnaround from Indy's offense and their only decent player in the secondary getting a concussion - it was a 3 point game in the 4th quarter. It was dumb luck that 10 points (a minimum of 6) came off the Colts' scoreboard due to nothing the Jets did on defense.

We'll have to disagree because your position suggests it is a slam dunk that, if one of the game's premiere QBs had a poor first half it therefore means he will have a poor 2nd half (on his own home turf at that). That turnarounds and comebacks do not happen. If they went down field on us twice then they can go down field 3x, or 4x.

To me, one cannot justify pigheadedly repeating a failing strategy that resulted in no points for 25 consecutive minutes of a game, against a 2nd string secondary that was practically gifting dink and dunks to us.

The post-game comment Bowles made - that he didn't want to let Indy's defense change our pregame strategy - is concerning to me. Future opponents can take from this that if the Jets show they want to establish a run, just stack the line and let the defense soften up elsewhere because he and Gailey will stubbornly refuse to make adjustments out of pure ego. 

This is my point. You "thought" this, yet - even without a major turnaround from Indy's offense and their only decent player in the secondary getting a concussion - it was a 3 point game in the 4th quarter. It was dumb luck that 10 points (a minimum of 6) came off the Colts' scoreboard due to nothing the Jets did on defense.

We'll have to disagree because your position suggests it is a slam dunk that, if one of the game's premiere QBs had a poor first half it therefore means he will have a poor 2nd half (on his own home turf at that). That turnarounds and comebacks do not happen. If they went down field on us twice then they can go down field 3x, or 4x.

To me, one cannot justify pigheadedly repeating a failing strategy that resulted in no points for 25 consecutive minutes of a game, against a 2nd string secondary that was practically gifting dink and dunks to us.

The post-game comment Bowles made - that he didn't want to let Indy's defense change our pregame strategy - is concerning to me. Future opponents can take from this that if the Jets show they want to establish a run, just stack the line and let the defense soften up elsewhere because he and Gailey will stubbornly refuse to make adjustments out of pure ego. 

I know its just a feeling but based on what they looked like the week before vs the Bills and how we were beating the hell out of Luck.  Just didnt see the Colts offense turning around.  Again part feeling from watching the game and how pathetic they made the Colts look.  They had two 60something yard drives and nothing.  Was interesting that in an interview yesterday Fitz said they got a little conservative because of this and when the Colts finally scored they stepped it up and answered.

I dont think Bowles post game comments tell opponents anything.  I think it told them how the Jets responded to the Colts strategy.  Doesnt mean that they wont make different adjustments to other teams.  This wasnt a case where they dared us to pass because Geno sucks, they wanted us to pass because that was the Colts best chance, their stregnth and what they wanted us to do.   Don't think its the same response every time

I know its just a feeling but based on what they looked like the week before vs the Bills and how we were beating the hell out of Luck.  Just didnt see the Colts offense turning around.  Again part feeling from watching the game and how pathetic they made the Colts look.  They had two 60something yard drives and nothing.  Was interesting that in an interview yesterday Fitz said they got a little conservative because of this and when the Colts finally scored they stepped it up and answered.

I dont think Bowles post game comments tell opponents anything.  I think it told them how the Jets responded to the Colts strategy.  Doesnt mean that they wont make different adjustments to other teams.  This wasnt a case where they dared us to pass because Geno sucks, they wanted us to pass because that was the Colts best chance, their stregnth and what they wanted us to do.   Don't think its the same response every time

Except Fitz's answer doesn't fit either (and is contradictory to what Bowles claimed). The problem wasn't just going nowhere on the ground. No one suggests they don't ever hand the ball off. It was also that when passes were thrown they were way deeper than necessary. I'm fine with tossing it deep, but not so disproportionately, and when it's not working, and when the shorter and short-intermediate stuff is working so effectively.

It's poor game management IMO to see that something is working, something else isn't, and you opt for the latter because of an egotistical decision to not have the other team decide what types of offensive plays they're going to take away.  They can run it and they can pass it deeper; just not as frequently when it's working so poorly and when we're repeatedly failing to capitalize on opportunity after opportunity, drive after drive, and keep coming away with 0 points. 

A good in-game coach takes what the defense gives you and in doing so take the win they're handing you. IMO only someone stubborn insists on doing what he wants to, even in the face of it failing repeatedly, and then (in so many words) brags that it was due to ego reasons. Bowles didn't even hint at a lack of concern of the Colts turning things around (which they are very capable of doing whether you accept it or not; you only know in hindsight whether or not they did. But you didn't know in advance they weren't going to).

I do think it may very well tell opponents something because of the way Bowles put it in his presser. He pronounced that (assuming this pattern continues) he won't (or won't quickly/easily) make adjustments to alter what isn't working in favor of what is. That if a certain thing is not what we're looking to do on offense, they can more or less abandon such coverage. Even if it works for us, we're just not going to go back to the well and instead will go into the wall. He basically said just that, unless you choose not to see it. He didn't say the way the game was going they needed to run more. He didn't even hint at it. What he said was that's what they wanted to do.

It isn't necessarily a pattern. Certainly not yet. Time will tell if it was just one game or a window into how things will continue to operate in this regard. 

Anyway we're 2-0.