Want A Philly Win Badly, But I Can't Root Against Sanchez

SAR I

He also liked Mark better than Foles and his trade value wasn't significant, he got an oft injured disappointing QB for him. 

Mark was coming off missing a year and was in his 4th system in 4 years when Kelly got him, despite that Mark badly outplayed Foles through camp and preseason then outplayed him when he got his chance to start.  Foles had 30 TDs and 2 INTs 2 years ago, he was starting no matter what happened.  if it was a competition mark easily wins.

He got Bradford, who he could have moved for a 1st round pick from Cleveland. It was no secret. He wanted Bradford as his consolation prize if he couldn't nab Mariota. He couldn't, so they didn't trade him.

Then why didn't anyone else - including St. Louis - sign Sanchez instead of trading for Foles?

You are deluding yourself. No team wanted Sanchez to start for them. No one. But there are multiple teams that would have signed up for Foles to start for them, and multiple teams showed interest in Foles. 

Why do you care? Sanchez sucks and so do the Eagles. 

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, betting on Bradford to get injured makes more sense than Bradford betting on Bradford.

That would be a good theory, except Bradford wasn't on the team yet when Sanchez re-signed. It was just Foles. They had Sanchez re-signed and then they traded Foles and a 2nd round pick for Bradford with 1 year $13M left on his rookie contract. That's how badly Kelly didn't want to get stuck with just Sanchez as his starter.

There is no evidence Sanchez would have started over Foles this season. None.

He got Bradford, who he could have moved for a 1st round pick from Cleveland. It was no secret. He wanted Bradford as his consolation prize if he couldn't nab Mariota. He couldn't, so they didn't trade him.

Then why didn't anyone else - including St. Louis - sign Sanchez instead of trading for Foles?

You are deluding yourself. No team wanted Sanchez to start for them. No one. But there are multiple teams that would have signed up for Foles to start for them, and multiple teams showed interest in Foles. 

Why do you care? Sanchez sucks and so do the Eagles. 

Philly re-signed Sanchez before FA began so SL never had a chance to sign him.

sanchez is better than most of the starters in the league, he loved playing for Kelly and knew he'd get another chance and he will.

I care about reality not the lies Jet fans spew about every ex jet.

That would be a good theory, except Bradford wasn't on the team yet when Sanchez re-signed. It was just Foles. They had Sanchez re-signed and then they traded Foles and a 2nd round pick for Bradford with 1 year $13M left on his rookie contract. That's how badly Kelly didn't want to get stuck with just Sanchez as his starter.

I think the fact that he re-signed Mark and traded Foles tells us he would have started him over Foles. 

Aw c'mon.  Sanchez signed March 8th and the Bradford trade went down two days later.  There were rumors for over a month.  You think Sanchez and his agents didn't have a pretty good idea?  Those guys aren't dumb.  Look how much money they have earned out of a few years of substandard QB play.

I think the fact that he re-signed Mark and traded Foles tells us he would have started him over Foles. 

No, it doesn't. 

It means he'd rather have Mariota, and if not Mariota then Bradford. Foles had the trade value he needed to get closer to what he'd rather have. 

Not that it makes a difference to me one way or he other, but there is no indication that Sanchez would be starting unless someone else better got injured or totally flopped. Which is why he got - and accepted - a backup contract. 

Aw c'mon.  Sanchez signed March 8th and the Bradford trade went down two days later.  There were rumors for over a month.  You think Sanchez and his agents didn't have a pretty good idea?  Those guys aren't dumb.  Look how much money they have earned out of a few years of substandard QB play.

There were also rumors of a handshake deal with the Jets if Mariota was still there. It didn't happen and as the draft got close that became less of a rumor as it became unrealistic Mariota would be available to us in the first place. Is was also unknown when Sanchez re-signed. 

Whatever the rumored deal, there was no way it ended with him starting but for the injury or failure of others. In other words, he was going to be a backup QB. 

This one is pretty good too.

How many names have you used?  More to the point, how did you change your avatar if you can't log on?

There were also rumors of a handshake deal with the Jets if Mariota was still there. 

Whatever the rumored deal, there was no way it ended with him starting but for the injury or failure of others. In other words, he was going to be a backup QB. 

I didn't say he was going to start.  I said putting incentives based on playing time is a smart bet with only Bradford in front of you.

No, it doesn't. 

It means he'd rather have Mariota, and if not Mariota then Bradford. Foles had the trade value he needed to get closer to what he'd rather have. 

Not that it makes a difference to me one way or he other, but there is no indication that Sanchez would be starting unless someone else better got injured or totally flopped. Which is why he got - and accepted - a backup contract. 

he didn't have mark under contract so he couldn't trade him and yes Foles is younger and his success was more recent so obviously he'd have more trade value but he clearly liked Mark more than Foles. Mark would have been playing sooner last year if Philly wasn't winning against the soft part of their sched. he as not happy w/ Foles.

How many names have you used?  More to the point, how did you change your avatar if you can't log on?

I didn't say he was going to start.  I said putting incentives based on playing time is a smart bet with only Bradford in front of you.

Bradford was not yet in front of him. No deal is done until it's done. 

That is what makes it a gamble!

He couldn't bet on Bradford getting injured until Bradford was on the team for good. Right up to the draft - and into Tennessee's time to pick, in fact - there were still very active discussions for Kelly to move up to draft Mariota. It was not known that Bradford would be on the team, and once on the team it was not known he would still be on the team by the time they all went to sleep that Thursday night. I just don't think it's the same as gambling on Bradford getting injured when it wasn't even known that Bradford would be on the team in the first place, or would still be there once camp began. It's a lot of "ifs" is all, not just one "if" Bradford gets injured.

I know we have Indy tonight and it's not time to think about the Eagles but if they sit Bradford and put Sanchez under center on Sunday, I just can't root against the guy. 

He did too much good here and he was railroaded and scapegoated by a terrible GM and a manipulative HC with ulterior motives. 

SAR I

While there is the slight possibility we may have ruined Sanchez You can't make this statement as a Jets fan ...That or you're the biggest troll on this board

While this is a tongue and cheek thread there is a real question hidden here.

While Sanchez got all kind of grief for his at times horrid play we give all kinds of leeway to other QBs

Where is all of the disgust and trashing of Luck?  Why doesn't he elevate the good players around him in key games.  He is leading the NFL in turnovers over the last two years from that position and that includes GENO SMITH!!!

I like Luck but see the difference... His team 0-2.

While this is a tongue and cheek thread there is a real question hidden here.

While Sanchez got all kind of grief for his at times horrid play we give all kinds of leeway to other QBs

Where is all of the disgust and trashing of Luck?  Why doesn't he elevate the good players around him in key games.  He is leading the NFL in turnovers over the last two years from that position and that includes GENO SMITH!!!

I like Luck but see the difference... His team 0-2.

Luck is yet another example in what seems to be endless examples. You can't bring 32 and 33 year old has beens into a new offense and expect to win, there is simply too much involved in this game to do that crap. You cant expect a QB to perform when you can't protect him. Its obvious to me Luck is trying to do too much because the players around him can't perform and that's in any great players nature. The Colts have done a terrible job rebuilding that O-Line and bringing in young talent to grow with Luck. Sure they Got TY Hilton but that's about the only guy they got.

Sound Familiar ?

Also most of what this team did last year was based on Andrew Luck that includes winning and losing . Give the kid some real help and let him grow slowly with a good cast of players this team is NOT built to win now because all of there weaknesses will be glaring weaknesses come playoff time. Just like the Manning led Colts who beat up on a sh*tty division for years and feasted on the garbage of the NFL then proceeded to get their asses handed to them in the playoffs/ Wasn't Manning's fault but it does show how a great QB does not always equal playoff success. We have a lot of great QB's over the years that were regular season wonders but just could not get it done in the playoffs.

It proves over and over this is a team game and its why Ryan Fitzpatrick was able to beat a QB who is much more talented than he is.

While there is the slight possibility we may have ruined Sanchez You can't make this statement as a Jets fan ...That or you're the biggest troll on this board

If you can't see what the HC and the GM did to Mark Sanchez in the 2011 and 2012 seasons I can't help you bro.

You know what they're saying about the 'dysfunction' in Indianapolis and how they 'destroyed the team' and how Andrew Luck looks 'awful'?  It's like that.  It was just covered up in a Rex Ryan bluster smokescreen and you apparently fell for it.

SAR I

I know we have Indy tonight and it's not time to think about the Eagles but if they sit Bradford and put Sanchez under center on Sunday, I just can't root against the guy. 

He did too much good here and he was railroaded and scapegoated by a terrible GM and a manipulative HC with ulterior motives. 

SAR I

That regime is also now gone.  Tannebaum is in Miami, Idzik in Jacksonville, and Rex in Buffalo.  Who cares now?  You sound like a battered woman.

Well, that talk wasn't going on on the other Jets forum I frequented back then.  Good to know that there were some early-bird Negative Nancy's over here.

Find me a newspaper article from August 2011 cautioning Jets fans on how they were set up for a disaster at quarterback.  You can't.  But look for articles showing concern over our WR's, RB's, TE's, Sparano, Tebow, they're everywhere.

Mark Sanchez got off to just about the best two-year start any 22 year old rookie ever had in the NFL.  Could you ask for more?  9 wins followed by 11.  5 miracle fourth quarter comebacks.  4 road playoff wins against perennial division winners.  Being the best Jet on the field in consecutive AFC Championship Games.  Leading a run of 20 games where the Jets were victorious in 16 of them. 

Whether he had the potential to be great or was overachieving is what we'll never know.  That's the crime of the Rex Ryan era.  All we know is that when surrounded with the likes of Tomlinson, Greene, Edwards, Holmes, Burress, Keller, Richardson, and Cotchery he was a great quarterback from what the Jets were built to do:  win with a suffocating defense and a ground & pound offense.  He wasn't drafted to be Peyton Manning.  He was drafted to be what he was in the 2010 season, and he did a great job.  Those who revise history with data dumps and give too much credit to the defense weren't watching the games.

SAR I

That regime is also now gone.  Tannebaum is in Miami, Idzik in Jacksonville, and Rex in Buffalo.  Who cares now?  You sound like a battered woman.

Perhaps I'm typing too passionately.  I'm just making sure that as the years go by no one forgets what the Jets did to destroy the best QB we've seen since Joe Namath.

It's a quaint conversation, it's not something I'm crying over.  Those tears dried in 2013.

SAR I

If you can't see what the HC and the GM did to Mark Sanchez in the 2011 and 2012 seasons I can't help you bro.

You know what they're saying about the 'dysfunction' in Indianapolis and how they 'destroyed the team' and how Andrew Luck looks 'awful'?  It's like that.  It was just covered up in a Rex Ryan bluster smokescreen and you apparently fell for it.

SAR I

You're just echoing things I have said for years before you came to these boards from JI .  I also made the same call on Andrew Luck and compared it to what we did to Sanchez as well. I just won't root for Sanchez while my team is playing him.

SAR I

Luck is yet another example in what seems to be endless examples. You can't bring 32 and 33 year old has beens into a new offense and expect to win, there is simply too much involved in this game to do that crap. You cant expect a QB to perform when you can't protect him. Its obvious to me Luck is trying to do too much because the players around him can't perform and that's in any great players nature. The Colts have done a terrible job rebuilding that O-Line and bringing in young talent to grow with Luck. Sure they Got TY Hilton but that's about the only guy they got.

Sound Familiar ?

Also most of what this team did last year was based on Andrew Luck that includes winning and losing . Give the kid some real help and let him grow slowly with a good cast of players this team is NOT built to win now because all of there weaknesses will be glaring weaknesses come playoff time. Just like the Manning led Colts who beat up on a sh*tty division for years and feasted on the garbage of the NFL then proceeded to get their asses handed to them in the playoffs/ Wasn't Manning's fault but it does show how a great QB does not always equal playoff success. We have a lot of great QB's over the years that were regular season wonders but just could not get it done in the playoffs.

It proves over and over this is a team game and its why Ryan Fitzpatrick was able to beat a QB who is much more talented than he is.

You're just echoing things I have said for years before you came to these boards from JI .  I also made the same call on Andrew Luck and compared it to what we did to Sanchez as well. I just won't root for Sanchez while my team is playing him.

Very good then, nice way to wrap things up here.

SAR I

Archived