Calvin Pryor

k-met57

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
another solid game for the second year player and another example of people killing the kid too early.

He was an absolute train wreck. He has the worst instincts and is always out of position. Yes a tipped ball gingerly fell into his hands. If that play equals a solid game then OK, I guess so. But he over pursues, has zero gap integrity and no discipline. And that's just in run defense. In pass defense he's even worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was an absolute train wreck. He has the worst instincts and is always out of position. Yes a tipped ball gingerly fell into his hands. If that play equals a solid game then OK, I guess so. But he over pursues, has zero gap integrity and no discipline. And that's just in run defense. In pass defense he's even worse.

Saw literally none of this last night. I did see him make a tackle on the 1 yard line to prevent a TD in the 3rd quarter, which in turn lead to the Gore fumble instead of the Colts putting up 6. And he nearly stripped the ball the play right after that.

WTF are you talking about. he made an impact play in week 1 too forcing a fumble with the hit on mccown

The whole defense has been hammering people.  They knock people out of the game, but more importantly make the 'pay' for the completion and are forcing turnovers.  To be fair, Proyor sucked last year, and yes he is still making some bad plays/tackles/angles.  But last week was his best game to date.  And last night was his best game to date.  He has been playing better and hitting hard.  He didn't choose where he was picked, and that is now history.  Let's see if he can continually improve and make a significant impact to the team.

maybe he was 'lucky' to be in the right place at the right time, but let's be fair, Revis got 'lucky' by being there for the 2 fumbles (he was great at the goal line btw) and his int was helped by Mo hitting Luck's hand. But, Revis was great.  My old boss said that the better you are the luckier you get.  Pryor was in the right place for that int, but more importantly, he was in the right place - protecting the deep ball and giving help to the CB.  He also had a great run back.  Last year, he would have been out of position and likely dropped the ball even if it came to him

A+ for use of buzzwords. F- for execution, however. 

So you're saying that Bowles doesn't know how to evaluate talent on defense and is intentionally trying to lose games by putting Pryor out there? 

Saw literally none of this last night. I did see him make a tackle on the 1 yard line to prevent a TD in the 3rd quarter, which in turn lead to the Gore fumble instead of the Colts putting up 6. And he nearly stripped the ball the play right after that.

OK...which was it?

Why didn't he exist in week 1?

I guess because he's not Gronk or Graham, and shutting down anything less than Gronk or Graham is clearly not noteworthy. 

Your post reminds me of the standard "let's hold off on the Hall of Fame votes" after someone simply says "so and so looked great last night".  It's a joke.  We get it.  Don't get too excited.  After all, this is the Jets, and if we're not being negative it just don't feel right.

BTW, great reasoning as well.  When determining Fleener's level, his 1 catch for 5 yards in week 1 is clearly a much more valuable sample size than his last two full seasons of play - in which Fleener's been about a league average TE.  After last season, Pryor shutting down even a league average TE is more than noteworthy.

So you're saying that Bowles doesn't know how to evaluate talent on defense and is intentionally trying to lose games by putting Pryor out there? 

No, I saying we spent a 1st round pick on a guy who is obviously a bust. We are pretty much obligated to let him bury himself. It's very rare to bench a top 20 pick 18 games into their career.

Nonetheless, don't watch just the 2 or 3 highlights on ESPN. Watch him play in and play out. Over pursues, misses tackles, no gap integrity, and piss poor in coverage.

Sorry for all the "buzz words" LOL

Coby Fleener is a borderline starter that has gotten one target this season.  I think people should stop acting like shutting him out is the same a stopping Gronk or Graham.

I don't know if there is any combination of players out there who could effectively shut Gronk out without leaving everyone else on the field wide open. Graham I think is a different story and I think if our defense played the way it did last night he would have a pretty bad game. That being said, I don't believe anyone is trying to say Pryor is the greatest SS in the NFL by any means. I think people are just trying to give him a bit of credit because he has been improving and playing better than they had expected.

Forced fumble and like 10 or 9 tackles in week 1.

True. But all of those tackles, as well as the "forced fumble", were simply dives at people's legs. Villian even made and posted .gifs. Pryor had a textbook wrap and lift tackle last night, which is what they teach at the earliest levels of football. 

He wasn't bad week 1. He just did his job like any JAG safety could do. Week 2 he was excellent.

Anyways, that's what I saw.

He Probably watches the Redzone channel and didn't see Pryor in week one because there was no interception returned for a touchdown.

I think you should go back and watch the game. Then watch other games so you can judge safety play. I watched the game twice, and Villain posted .gifs. I'll trust that over your homerism. 

Archived