Calvin Pryor

k-met57

True. But all of those tackles, as well as the "forced fumble", were simply dives at people's legs. Villian even made and posted .gifs. Pryor had a textbook wrap and lift tackle last night, which is what they teach at the earliest levels of football. 

He wasn't bad week 1. He just did his job like any JAG safety could do. Week 2 he was excellent.

Anyways, that's what I saw.

Fair. He's not the best tackler, I don't get why it's so hard to remember to use your arms. Anyway, yeah he had one for a loss vs cleveland too, which made me happy.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He Probably watches the Redzone channel and didn't see Pryor in week one because there was no interception returned for a touchdown.

LOL, exactly. Sometimes a safety is at his best when you don't hear his name. Pryor may never be an elite cover safety but if makes big plays every week (like he has so far this year) I could care less if he lets a couple of tight ends catch a pass here and there.

No idea why some fans expect every player to be elite. We have Revis/Wilkerson/Snacks/Richardson who are all Pro bowl caliber, plus Williams on the rise. If guys like Coples and Pryor are JUST good/very good that is enough to make your defense amazing. 

True. But all of those tackles, as well as the "forced fumble", were simply dives at people's legs. Villian even made and posted .gifs. Pryor had a textbook wrap and lift tackle last night, which is what they teach at the earliest levels of football. 

He wasn't bad week 1. He just did his job like any JAG safety could do. Week 2 he was excellent.

Anyways, that's what I saw.

why put quotations around forced fumble. And that "dive at people's legs" from week 1 was at a scrambling QB about to cross the goal line. What should Pryor have done differently on that play, in your expert opinion?

No, I saying we spent a 1st round pick on a guy who is obviously a bust. We are pretty much obligated to let him bury himself. It's very rare to bench a top 20 pick 18 games into their career.

Nonetheless, don't watch just the 2 or 3 highlights on ESPN. Watch him play in and play out. Over pursues, misses tackles, no gap integrity, and piss poor in coverage.

Sorry for all the "buzz words" LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously a bust? How about we wait until he's completed two or three years in the NFL before we label him? He's playing great compared to last season and he's got a coach who obviously knows how to put him in good positions to make plays.  

I have been very pleasantly surprised with Pryor through two games and I was down on him big time. It looks like he's on his way to proving me wrong, which rarely happens. 

Geno keeps proving me right though. No hoodie, but he really rocked that cap pulled down low. Leader. Pfft.

He was an absolute train wreck. He has the worst instincts and is always out of position. Yes a tipped ball gingerly fell into his hands. If that play equals a solid game then OK, I guess so. But he over pursues, has zero gap integrity and no discipline. And that's just in run defense. In pass defense he's even worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why can't you just admit you were wrong and all of who said just give him a chance at his natural position before calling him everything from bust to worst ever were right?

Instead of downplaying INTs and good play to keep your silly game moving?

10 Tackles and a HUGE forced fumble last week, 5 tackles and a INT this week and youre still killing him?  LOL You don't actually watch games, do you?

why put quotations around forced fumble. And that "dive at people's legs" from week 1 was at a scrambling QB about to cross the goal line. What should Pryor have done differently on that play, in your expert opinion?

First, never claimed to be expert. I try to watch as closely as I can and form my own opinions without biases. I mean, if my screen name was LouisvilleSlugger25, I wouldn't feel it necessary to overrate his play just because I have an affinity for him :D

Pryor made a nice dive on that hit on McCown. It wasn't a strip, he didn't go for the ball, it just came lose. Credit to him for making the hit. On that play, he did just what he should have done.

My overall point is that tackling technique is crucial for a safety. Pryor hadn't shown good technique week 1, but did week 2. I don't think that that's a very outlandish or controversial take to have.

Why can't you just admit you were wrong and all of who said just give him a chance at his natural position before calling him everything from bust to worst ever were right?

Instead of downplaying INTs and good play to keep your silly game moving?

10 Tackles and a HUGE forced fumble last week, 5 tackles and a INT this week and youre still killing him?  LOL You don't actually watch games, do you?

+1000

• 2 weeks later...
where are all the clowns that were writing him off after year 1? 

That's a good question. When I posted that I was thinking I bet that Slugger guy is going to love this haha. I can tell you that your username is looking less and less hilarious as the season goes on.

I am still here... and still think Pryor sucks.  Forcing a fumble or two certainly helps his case but this "burn percentage" from Brandt is misleading and crap.

The eyeball test is what matters.   And mine watched him get smoked deep by a slow Browns TE and badly blow an assignment to cover Ryan Matthews for what should have both been  long TDs.

Missed tackles and more bad angles.  Stop being sheep and think/watch for yourselves.

Brandin Cooks should have been the selection.

The thing I don't 100% understand about these conversations - are we discussing whether or not if it was a good draft pick, or if he's the best SS on the team?

The fact that he was drafted in the first round - and yes, ahead of Cooks - has nothing to do with whether or not he should play.  I don't think we have any compelling strong safeties sitting on the bench.  IOW, it makes total sense to play him.

It's likely he'll improve at least slightly as he plays.  And he'll probably be about an average SS over his career.

In short - horrible use of a draft pick, but he's a perfectly reasonable player.  I'd rather improve our OL before we improve our defensive backfield.

I am still here... and still think Pryor sucks.  Forcing a fumble or two certainly helps his case but this "burn percentage" from Brandt is misleading and crap.

The eyeball test is what matters.   And mine watched him get smoked deep by a slow Browns TE and badly blow an assignment to cover Ryan Matthews for what should have both been  long TDs.

Missed tackles and more bad angles.  Stop being sheep and think/watch for yourselves.

I like Cooks but thus far he's been a glorified possession receiver, working with an elite QB and one of the best play callers in the NFL and was part of the best receiving class ever, not sure why he's the clear cut pick over Pryor. 

3 games into year 2 and Cooks has failed to crack 100 yards Receiving in a game. I like Cooks, but I am not losing any sleep because we past up on him. He looks pretty good. Pryor was asked to play in a defense that didn't suit him last year playing alongside the leagues worst CBs. This year he is playing in a defense that better suits him with significantly better CBs. I doubt any safety would have looked good in Pryor's shoes last year. 

I won't argue much more with guys like you because Pryor could make the pro bowl this year and you will still talk about your "eye test."

I have seen steady improvement, I'm pleased

it is sad that our draft picks back to 2008 are all either busts or just OK with 2 exceptions, tops 3.  Please let's not debate Coples, there are walk ons better than him.   Steady improvement?  Ok but top tier teams have picks that are solid right away.

Idzik set us back....

3 games into year 2 and Cooks has failed to crack 100 yards Receiving in a game. I like Cooks, but I am not losing any sleep because we past up on him. He looks pretty good. Pryor was asked to play in a defense that didn't suit him last year playing alongside the leagues worst CBs. This year he is playing in a defense that better suits him with significantly better CBs. I doubt any safety would have looked good in Pryor's shoes last year. 

I won't argue much more with guys like you because Pryor could make the pro bowl this year and you will still talk about your "eye test."

I understand not wanting to argue with someone you feel can't be convinced of something.   But I have three questions.   Did you see the two plays I referred to?  Do you agree Pryor failed miserably on both?  Do those plays where he miracously avoided conceding two long TD passes in three games reflect this burn % nonsense?

Stats and ratings and Brandt are wrong and crap. 

Imagined missed tackles and imaginary angles are your answers.  And to call people who disagree sheep.  All because you have a hard on for Brandon Cooks.  You're not getting him, that ship sailed.  Doesnt change what Pryor is or isnt.  

Stats and ratings and Brandt are wrong and crap. 

Imagined missed tackles and imaginary angles are your answers.  And to call people who disagree sheep.  All because you have a hard on for Brandon Cooks.  You're not getting him, that ship sailed.  Doesnt change what Pryor is or isnt.  

You forgot to mention my man crush on Mariota and hatred of  Winston.

it is sad that our draft picks back to 2008 are all either busts or just OK with 2 exceptions, tops 3.  Please let's not debate Coples, there are walk ons better than him.   Steady improvement?  Ok but top tier teams have picks that are solid right away.

Idzik set us back....

oh

The thing I don't 100% understand about these conversations - are we discussing whether or not if it was a good draft pick, or if he's the best SS on the team?

The fact that he was drafted in the first round - and yes, ahead of Cooks - has nothing to do with whether or not he should play.  I don't think we have any compelling strong safeties sitting on the bench.  IOW, it makes total sense to play him.

It's likely he'll improve at least slightly as he plays.  And he'll probably be about an average SS over his career.

In short - horrible use of a draft pick, but he's a perfectly reasonable player.  I'd rather improve our OL before we improve our defensive backfield.

Lots of people don't understand sunk costs.  I'm glad you do. 

Once someone is drafted, you can always discuss whether they should have been drafted where they were, but that is completely irrelevant to determining whether someone should stay on a team or have the play time they do.  You play guys who give you the best chance to win.

• 11 months later...
12 minutes ago, JiF said:

He cant cover.  Why is he being asked to?

Neither can Harris but he's asked to.

Why doesnt Rontez Miles get run?  He plays like a man possessed. 

Calvin Pryor is an undersized, misplaced, below average, college-level outside linebacker.  And a poor one at that.

As i stated many times in the past. He is a weaker version of Brandon Meriweather...  A mindless, heat-seeking missile without its guidance system.   Will be out of the league in three years.  Max.

20 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Calvin Pryor is an undersized, misplaced, below average, college-level outside linebacker.  And a poor one at that.

As i stated many times in the past. He is a weaker version of Brandon Meriweather...  A mindless, heat-seeking missile without its guidance system.   Will be out of the league in three years.  Max.

He's too slow and stiff.

Also, two words: Derek Carr.  He throws a beautiful ball.

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Have to say, that IMO, the safety we have on the P.S. is a better safety than Pryor . That kid can hit and cover and has ball skills . Middleton is going to get promoted to the roster soon .

Pryor wasn't drafted to be a cover safety. Pryor was drafted to put big hits on slot receivers, tight ends, and running backs coming up the short middle of the field and stopping them from making big gains. Pryor was drafted to slam the qb on an occasional blitz play. I did not want us to draft Pryor but the kid is a decent player when he is played to his strengths and not to his weakness. What we saw today was not on Pryor, it was on whatever coach didn't watch the rookie film on Pryor playing in coverage.

Archived