Fitzpatrick’s Efficiency Best for Jets Since Favre

JetNation

By Glenn Naughton   Given the current NFL rules that heavily favor the offense, especially in regards to the passing game, it’s hard to believe that in his second start as a New York Jet, Ryan Fitzpatrick became the first Gang Green quarterback since Brett Favre in 2008 to play consecutive games in which he […]

Click here to read the full story...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As bad as the QB's have been, I didn't realize Favre was the last QB with back to back 60% comp and more TD's than INT games back in 08.

a few key drops last night too.   Fitz had the short passing game going early, if the WR's had done a little better job of holding onto the ball he would have had even better numbers.  

Given the current NFL rules that heavily favor the offense, especially in regards to the passing game, it’s hard to believe that in his second start as a New York Jet, Ryan Fitzpatrick became the first Gang Green quarterback since Brett Favre in 2008 to play consecutive games in which he threw more touchdowns than interceptions while completing greater than 60% of his passes.

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Ryan Fitzpatrick has completed 63.8 percent of his passes through the season’s first two contests.

It was actually a three-week run for Favre in 2008, between weeks nine and eleven when the Jets squared off against St. Louis Cardinals, New England Patriots and Tennessee Titans.  Favre would dominate, completing over 75% of his passes in that three game stretch, throwing five touchdowns and just one interception.

Favre's performance went unmatched for six years until last night.

Favre’s performance went unmatched for six years until last night.

Since then, it’s been uncharted territory for the Jets, until yesterday against the Colts when Fitzpatrick was 22-34 (64.71%) with two TD’s and an interception.

Fitzpatrick’s totals through two games, 4 touchdowns to 2 interceptions with a 63.8% completion percentage isn’t likely to be sustained, but there is every reason to expect a career year for the veteran who is back in a familiar offense under Chan Gailey, armed with great weapons in Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker, and a ground game that will give the Jets balance.

What Fitzpatrick was able to do in his first two starts was virtually impossible for the wildly erratic Mark Sanchez who struggled with consistency in four years as a starter with the Jets, and the same goes for Geno Smith who has had two seasons at the helm.

The mind-numbing stat serves as a reminder as to how awful and inconsistent the play has been for the Jets under center for the better part of a decade.

All told, since Favre’s departure, sans Fitzpatrick, Jets quarterbacks have combined to throw 96 touchdowns and 105 interceptions while losing a staggering 45 fumbles, 34 by Sanchez, while completing just 55% of their passes.

How long Fitzpatrick is under center for the Jets remains to be seen, but for a franchise that has set the bar so low for quarteback play over the course of several decades, the sight of a quarterback taking care of the ball while putting points on the board is more than welcome, and well overdue.

a few key drops last night too.   Fitz had the short passing game going early, if the WR's had done a little better job of holding onto the ball he would have had even better numbers.  

Yup...big drop from Decker in the RZ that cost them a chunk of yards.

As bad as the QB's have been, I didn't realize Favre was the last QB with back to back 60% comp and more TD's than INT games back in 08.

I've been saying Fitz would be the best QB we've had since Favre, and people thought I was taking crazy pills.  No one is saying that Fitz is all that good, just that our QB play has been that bad since 2008.

I've been saying Fitz would be the best QB we've had since Favre, and people thought I was taking crazy pills.  No one is saying that Fitz is all that good, just that our QB play has been that bad since 2008.

Funny how a fanbase that has been eating Alpo for decades gets one taste of hamburger and now they are demanding filet.

Favre was terrible for us, another example of #s not meaning a heck of a lot.

Fitz has been ok, the D has been great(outside of the 1st qtr and a half vs. Cle).  just get decent football from fitz, limit big TOs and we can win.

Favre was awesome before he injured his arm.  Had the team at 7-3 with one of the best offenses in the NFL.  He tears his bicep and Mangini still had him throwing the ball all over  the place.

Bingo.  I said the same thing when they got him and then I paused to question what  I was saying and realized that yes, sad as it may be, it's the truth.

Favre was awesome before he injured his arm.  Had the team at 7-3 with one of the best offenses in the NFL.  He tears his bicep and Mangini still had him throwing the ball all over  the place.

No he wasn't, he had a few good games but most of that season he wasn't good.  His arm was fine. he made his career playing through pain.  he sucked late b/c as it got cold and he didn't want to be here he gave up. it was decision making not arm strength that sabotaged our season.

he is not the best since Favre.  best seasons by jets QB in last 20 years

1. Vinny '98

2. Chad '02

3. Sanchez '10

4. Chad '04

5. I have no idea.

Funny how a fanbase that has been eating Alpo for decades gets one taste of hamburger and now they are demanding filet.

funny how the fanbase has been clamoring for a "game manager" for the last 7 years and had to endure some of, if not the worst QB play in the NFL.    

The Tom Tupa game featured better QB play than what Sanchez and Geno put out the last few seasons.   

It's just crazy how bad the QBing has been for this franchise. This goes to show you how stupid the Jets were to throw a neophyte like Sanchez out there with all those veterans in 2009. A journeyman QB veteran could be doing what Fitz is doing now.

Granted, we all know Fitzy is limited but at least he can control the LOS, stagger snap counts, change plays, adjust blocking schemes, those things alone could be the difference between winning & losing. I don't want to be in a catchup mode (more than 2 scores everyone knows we have to throw ) situation, but how many QBs are there in this league that shine in those situations? A handful? Like Gruden & Steve Young said last night, "perfect situation" for Fitzy.

No he wasn't, he had a few good games but most of that season he wasn't good.  His arm was fine. he made his career playing through pain.  he sucked late b/c as it got cold and he didn't want to be here he gave up. it was decision making not arm strength that sabotaged our season.

Yes he was, the Jets got in trouble for not disclosing it for the game(s).  He messed up his ankle pretty badly as well.  How can you say he can play in the cold???? the guy made a HoF career in Green Effin Bay!!!!  Holy crap, go back and revisit the season, Favre carried the team while taking beatings for over half the year, noone could take those hits and keep going as long as he did.  Really, go back and check that season out, it is worth it.

8-3, actually, after knocking off the then undefeated Titans.  Best record in the AFC at the time. 

Yes he was, the Jets got in trouble for not disclosing it for the game(s).  He messed up his ankle pretty badly as well.  How can you say he can play in the cold???? the guy made a HoF career in Green Effin Bay!!!!  Holy crap, go back and revisit the season, Favre carried the team while taking beatings for over half the year, noone could take those hits and keep going as long as he did.  Really, go back and check that season out, it is worth it.

late in his career he struggled in the cold, earlier he was great.  add in that he never wanted to be here and wanted to get to Minnesota and his heart wasn't in it.  Favre carried nothing, he had 3-4 good games all year, he kept opponents in games was outplayed in games by opposing QBs like Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Fitzpatrick and others.

I saw the season live, no need to go back and watch him sabotage a legit SB chance.

It's just crazy how bad the QBing has been for this franchise. This goes to show you how stupid the Jets were to throw a neophyte like Sanchez out there with all those veterans in 2009. A journeyman QB veteran could be doing what Fitz is doing now.

Granted, we all know Fitzy is limited but at least he can control the LOS, stagger snap counts, change plays, adjust blocking schemes, those things alone could be the difference between winning & losing. I don't want to be in a catchup mode (more than 2 scores everyone knows we have to throw ) situation, but how many QBs are there in this league that shine in those situations? A handful? Like Gruden & Steve Young said last night, "perfect situation" for Fitzy.

you know we made the championship game in 2009, right? and we started the first 4 games w/ chansi stuckey as a starting WR.

Fitz has been the beneficiary of 10 TO's in two weeks.  He has not looked crisp, he has not been making progressions and has missed a lot of open receivers.

I'm happy everyone is giddy about being 2-0 (it's def. exciting) but Fitz is not a quality NFL QB.  People need to come to that realization.

We're so starved for even reasonable QB play we're falling in love with 1 interception a week and an offense that has been handed incredible field position, yet often struggled to score.

I'm sure the offense will get better, but let's not make Fitz out to be anything more than he is.

Fitz has been the beneficiary of 10 TO's in two weeks.  He has not looked crisp, he has not been making progressions and has missed a lot of open receivers.

I'm happy everyone is giddy about being 2-0 (it's def. exciting) but Fitz is not a quality NFL QB.  People need to come to that realization.

We're so starved for even reasonable QB play we're falling in love with 1 interception a week and an offense that has been handed incredible field position, yet often struggled to score.

I'm sure the offense will get better, but let's not make Fitz out to be anything more than he is.

He was spinning it last night when the running game was struggling.  I know that the Colts were decimated in the secondary but lets give the guy some credit. 

8-3, actually, after knocking off the then undefeated Titans.  Best record in the AFC at the time. 

we were 8-3 mostly in spite of the QB. he had the great game vs. AZ then was really good at Buf, Ten and NE(though he was awful the 2nd half).  other than that he didn't do much the rest of the season and if not for a late defensive score vs. Buf we would have gone from 8-3 to 8-8.

He was spinning it last night when the running game was struggling.  I know that the Colts were decimated in the secondary but lets give the guy some credit. 

I guess I didn't see what you saw.  I saw one good drive in the 4th quarter and it was a VERY good and timely drive - the offense stepped up when they had to.  It was impressive, but the rest of the game he was incredibly unimpressive (to me)

he is not the best since Favre.  best seasons by jets QB in last 20 years

3. Sanchez '10

By no available metric was Sanchez's 2010 season better than Favre's 2008 season, especially pre-bicep injury.  Here's how Sanchez ranked among QB's in 2010:

* Completion %:  54.8 --- 29th (behind the likes of Matt Cassel, Kerry Collins, and yes, Ryan Fitzpatrick!)

* Yards:  3, 291 --- 16th

* TD's:  17 --- 19th

* INT's:  13 ---  14th most (more than Matt Schaub)

* Yards/Attempt --- 6.5 (27th)

* Attempts:  507 --- 9th (We were not a running team that year, can't use that excuse)

* DVOA:  -4.3 % ---  28th

Sanchez was just as awful in 2010 as he was every other year.  It's just that the talent around him and the defense supporting him hid his many flaws better than in other seasons.

you know we made the championship game in 2009, right? and we started the first 4 games w/ chansi stuckey as a starting WR.

uh, yea, my point is we probably would have had a home playoff game because our record would have been better than 8-8!

we lost a game in which we ran for over 300 f*cking yards! 1st time that has ever happened in NFL history because our sh*tty rookie QB threw 5 picks!

By no available metric was Sanchez's 2010 season better than Favre's 2008 season pre-Bicep injury.  Here's how Sanchez ranked among QB's in 2010:

* Completion %:  54.8 --- 29th (behind the likes of Matt Cassel, Kerry Collins, and yes, Ryan Fitzpatrick!)

* Yards:  3, 291 --- 16th

* TD's:  17 --- 19th

* INT's:  13 ---  14th most (more than Matt Schaub)

* Yards/Attempt --- 6.5 (27th)

* Attempts:  507 --- 9th (We were not a running team that year, can't use that excuse)

* DVOA:  -4.3 % ---  28th

Sanchez was just as awful in 2010 as he was every other year.  It's just that the talent around him and the defense supporting him hid his many flaws better than in other seasons.

this is why we watch games and don't just look at blind stats.  How many late game comebacks did he lead? how crucial was he to our success as we were a mediocre run team and the D wasn't anywhere near as good as the overrated 2009 version.  we also did it against Brady back at top form for the first time since 2007 while Favre had the luxury of not having to worry about Brady and we had the easiest sched I can ever remember as a 1 win dolphin team from '07 went up to 11 wins in '08(w/ the QB we should have kept and if we did we easily win the division).

#s are a guide, favre was awful getting outplayed by Matt Cassell in his first start, he was outplayed by Jamarcus Russell in Oakland when he threw that game away, kept an awful Cincy team in the game, kept an awful Kc team in the game, threw away Den, Sea, Miami, SF games.  Favre was awful in 2008, I don't care what any #s say(especially since his #s were so skewed by the AZ game)

this is why we watch games and don't just look at blind stats.  How many late game comebacks did he lead? how crucial was he to our success as we were a mediocre run team and the D wasn't anywhere near as good as the overrated 2009 version.  we also did it against Brady back at top form for the first time since 2007 while Favre had the luxury of not having to worry about Brady and we had the easiest sched I can ever remember as a 1 win dolphin team from '07 went up to 11 wins in '08(w/ the QB we should have kept and if we did we easily win the division).

#s are a guide, favre was awful getting outplayed by Matt Cassell in his first start, he was outplayed by Jamarcus Russell in Oakland when he threw that game away, kept an awful Cincy team in the game, kept an awful Kc team in the game, threw away Den, Sea, Miami, SF games.  Favre was awful in 2008, I don't care what any #s say(especially since his #s were so skewed by the AZ game)

Those arent blind stats. And since you're heavily weighing "crunch time" or whatever- Fitz had his best drive when we needed it most last night. 

Sanchez didn't pass the eye test OR the numbers test.  He only led 3 comebacks against inferior opponents because of his own poor play.  We should have blown out the Browns, Lions and Texans that season, not made the games interesting only to finally score a TD in the 4th quarter/OT.  Pretty sure that was also the season we lost 3 games where the defense allowed under 10 points, because of Sanchez.

Sanchez is the # 1 reason we didn't win a title that season with an otherwise loaded roster, yet you want to anoint his play that year as top-flight QB play?  Humorous, to say the least.  Sanchez sucks, always sucked, and especially sucked in 2010.

I mentioned that drive but we were discussing other QBs w/ regards to blind stats.

There were stats cited that take away the blindness. There are stats now that weigh score, situation etc. Sanchez failed more often than not across the weighted stats and the blind stats.

Sanchez didn't pass the eye test OR the numbers test.  He only led 3 comebacks against inferior opponents because of his own poor play.  We should have blown out the Browns, Lions and Texans that season, not made the games interesting only to finally score a TD in the 4th quarter/OT.  Pretty sure that was also the season we lost 3 games where the defense allowed under 10 points, because of Sanchez.

Sanchez is the # 1 reason we didn't win a title that season with an otherwise loaded roster, yet you want to anoint his play that year as top-flight QB play?  Humorous, to say the least.  Sanchez sucks, always sucked, and especially sucked in 2010.

ohhhh inferior opponents.  I love it.  In the PLAYOFFS on the ROAD was Indy inferior when he led that great last minute drive?

we would have blown out the Browns IF our K didn't miss THREE FGs.  we held the ball all game and then our "elite" D allowed Colt McCoy to lead a game tying TD drive late in the game.  By the way, that same Browns team had just beaten defending champ NO and gave NE their last loss in a 14-2 season.

We had a 23-7 lead in the 4th qtr vs. Houston, again the "elite" D blew it and sanchez led one of the most amazing drives in franchise history.

we did lose 3 games allowing 10 pts.

Baltimore where the D allowed a million 3rd and longs and let bal possess the ball for 40 mins

GB where the wind played a factor and Gb only scored 9 pts(2 FGs after bogus INTs credited to Mark)

Miami where it was wet and Holmes dropped a WIDE OPEN TD

Mark was a top 10 QB in 2010, to say he sucked is completely laughable.

Archived