Fitzpatrick’s Efficiency Best for Jets Since Favre

JetNation

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Favre didn't throw away the season, he didn't purposely tank to screw us because he wanted to,  the ligament or tendon that was injured took all his mid motion strength away, documented fact. 

Mangenious and the other head honchos tanked the season when they had put us in the situation of having an injured Favre being our best chance at winning, and doctored reports and kept him in.. I'm not saying if he was benched we would of finished any better, but the fact he played injured and the Jets allowed/coerced him to do so is exactly where the failure was in 08. 

Favre played well, being Favre gunslinger we all knew he was coming in. We beat both undefeated teams back to back that season and it was awesome. 

No, he didn't do it on purpose but he never wanted to be here and it showed in his play.

that's not a documented fact, it's a documented excuse.  if he wasn't healthy enough to play then sit down but his streak was bigger than the team b/c, agaoin, he never wanted to be here. 

NE was undefeated I 2007, we beat them in 2008.  Ten was undefeated when we beat them and they would go one and done in the playoffs.  the ten game was probably Favre's best all year.

Which is competent and that's all Fitz needs to be if the D keeps playing as it has.

As mentioned multiple times by other posters, the Jets' QBs of the past have not been competent and when the D was not as good the Jets had losing seasons.

An excellent QB carries a competent offense and defense.

An excellent defense carries a competent QB and offense.

The problem is when the defense or the QB are merely good and then the other units have to be better.

Note, I'm not using "excellent" to mean HOFer or historic, just among tops in the league at the time.

I get it.  He has been better than Geno.  but I guess the difference between me and many on this board is  anything less than a championship is pointless.  I do not believe Fitz (from what i've seen the past two weeks) is good enough to accomplish that - regardless of how good our defense is.

Now, maybe he'll get better as the team continues to gel, maybe the running game gets more consistent, maybe Devin Smith creates some big plays and the offense becomes a bit more explosive.  If that happens, great, then I'll be the first one to say I was wrong.  But from what I've seen, I'm not impressed.

Did anyone watch this guy yesterday???

I must be nuts. He has zero accuracy past 15 yards. He had at least 2 other passes that were easy picks that got dropped. Our running game is going to continue to get worse because every DC knows that we don't have a QB who can throw the long ball within 15 yards of the WR.

Not to mention we have no TE to speak of. What a joke

Wins are illusory.  The Jets are stuck in a deep hole with little to no hope.  True despair has arrived.

No, he didn't do it on purpose but he never wanted to be here and it showed in his play.

that's not a documented fact, it's a documented excuse.  if he wasn't healthy enough to play then sit down but his streak was bigger than the team b/c, agaoin, he never wanted to be here. 

NE was undefeated I 2007, we beat them in 2008.  Ten was undefeated when we beat them and they would go one and done in the playoffs.  the ten game was probably Favre's best all year.

I stand corrected, the Cheats weren't undefeated, ten was, I guess I just lumped the pats and ten together into one good memory. 

Im sure when Mangini asked if he would play through his injury Favre agreed to, because he always have, but it still falls on Mangini to keep trotting him out there when he was throwing Pennington ducks. 

I stand corrected, the Cheats weren't undefeated, ten was, I guess I just lumped the pats and ten together into one good memory. 

Im sure when Mangini asked if he would play through his injury Favre agreed to, because he always have, but it still falls on Mangini to keep trotting him out there when he was throwing Pennington ducks. 

he may not have had his usual arm strength but his arm was more than capable.  even a diminished Favre had a stronger arm than most QBs in the league.  he as failing b/c of poor decision making more than anything else.

Did anyone watch this guy yesterday???

I must be nuts. He has zero accuracy past 15 yards. He had at least 2 other passes that were easy picks that got dropped. Our running game is going to continue to get worse because every DC knows that we don't have a QB who can throw the long ball within 15 yards of the WR.

Not to mention we have no TE to speak of. What a joke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

can we still "mark your words" ?

I get it.  He has been better than Geno.  but I guess the difference between me and many on this board is  anything less than a championship is pointless.  I do not believe Fitz (from what i've seen the past two weeks) is good enough to accomplish that - regardless of how good our defense is.

Now, maybe he'll get better as the team continues to gel, maybe the running game gets more consistent, maybe Devin Smith creates some big plays and the offense becomes a bit more explosive.  If that happens, great, then I'll be the first one to say I was wrong.  But from what I've seen, I'm not impressed.

I get it, but I'll never understand the "anything less than a championship is pointless..." mindset where the team has not won a championship in most of the fanbase's lifetime.  It's weird because I can only think of Jet fans who have that.  The fanbases of other teams that have long droughts or never won one don't say that.

But regardless, this is a process (Manginiism!)  Fitz leads a team through that process.  Franchise QBs don't break free unless something weird happens (like Peyton), so the hope is that a guy like Bryce Petty learns from a crafty veteran like Fitz and grows into the starter's role next year to be that QB that puts the team in a good position to compete for a championship.

In the meantime, the Jets will adopt the Ravens/Bucs model (Brad Johnson's Bucs) and try to compete with competent QB play and lights-out defense.

he may not have had his usual arm strength but his arm was more than capable.  even a diminished Favre had a stronger arm than most QBs in the league.  he as failing b/c of poor decision making more than anything else.

Okay, now it's obvious you didn't watch the games or you just don't remember watching the games.  Favre was throwing ducks in the closing weeks of that season.  He was clearly not himself and had surgery not long after that.  He was far from capable with the way he was throwing the ball.

I get it, but I'll never understand the "anything less than a championship is pointless..." mindset where the team has not won a championship in most of the fanbase's lifetime.  It's weird because I can only think of Jet fans who have that.  The fanbases of other teams that have long droughts or never won one don't say that.

But regardless, this is a process (Manginiism!)  Fitz leads a team through that process.  Franchise QBs don't break free unless something weird happens (like Peyton), so the hope is that a guy like Bryce Petty learns from a crafty veteran like Fitz and grows into the starter's role next year to be that QB that puts the team in a good position to compete for a championship.

In the meantime, the Jets will adopt the Ravens/Bucs model (Brad Johnson's Bucs) and try to compete with competent QB play and lights-out defense.

Sometimes I feel like I'm on a personal mission regarding the perception of Brad Johnson on that team.  He was an above average QB who played lights out that season.  Dilfer was garbage for the Ravens but they were able to overcome him.  However, Johnson threw 22 TD's and 6 INT's that season.  He played championship caliber football.

Sometimes I feel like I'm on a personal mission regarding the perception of Brad Johnson on that team.  He was an above average QB who played lights out that season.  Dilfer was garbage for the Ravens but they were able to overcome him.  However, Johnson threw 22 TD's and 6 INT's that season.  He played championship caliber football.

While I agree Dilfer was garbage, I'd peg Johnson as a competent QB protected by a lights-out-defense.  Fitz could do 20-10 this year, which isn't far off.  

And we can quibble on what is "championship caliber football" because I think a competent/mediocre QB can play championship football on the right team, like Johnson did with the Bucs.  For me, if the team is good enough, the QB being a positive rather than a negative is "championship caliber."  Mediocre QBs can make big plays in the postseason to help the team win (Sanchez, Delhomme, etc.).

Okay, now it's obvious you didn't watch the games or you just don't remember watching the games.  Favre was throwing ducks in the closing weeks of that season.  He was clearly not himself and had surgery not long after that.  He was far from capable with the way he was throwing the ball.

he was throwing ducks most of the season, that wasn't his issue.  it was decision making, how many balls did he just throw up for grabs?

I think this youtube video says it all.  it says "best of Brett favre 2008" and they have clips from about 3-4 games

both Johnson and Dilfer were vital in those SB runs.  people don't understand b/c they didn't put up monster #s but they played their roles to perfection.  yes the all time great Ds for both teams led the teams but even the greatest Ds need quality QB play to win a and both teams had quality QB play.

While I agree Dilfer was garbage, I'd peg Johnson as a competent QB protected by a lights-out-defense.  Fitz could do 20-10 this year, which isn't far off.  

And we can quibble on what is "championship caliber football" because I think a competent/mediocre QB can play championship football on the right team, like Johnson did with the Bucs.  For me, if the team is good enough, the QB being a positive rather than a negative is "championship caliber."  Mediocre QBs can make big plays in the postseason to help the team win (Sanchez, Delhomme, etc.).

Again, JMO but 22/6 is pretty awesome.  Definitely good enough that he doesn't deserve to be viewed similarly to Dilfer.

Again, JMO but 22/6 is pretty awesome.  Definitely good enough that he doesn't deserve to be viewed similarly to Dilfer.

Yeah, Dilfer was awful. No way saying Johnson was awful, just saying he was competent.

With a good defense, a QB should put up 2/1 TD/INT average or better.  Johnson only threw for 3049 yards that year (17th in the NFL that season) and his yards per attempt was 6.76 (18th in the NFL). His 22 TDs was 10th best.  He was a competent QB, and did everything asked of him to help his team win.  Competent QBs can do that. 

we were 8-3 mostly in spite of the QB. he had the great game vs. AZ then was really good at Buf, Ten and NE(though he was awful the 2nd half).  other than that he didn't do much the rest of the season and if not for a late defensive score vs. Buf we would have gone from 8-3 to 8-8.

We were 9-2 in 2010 before getting creamed by the Pats at Foxboro..

I am very happy with Fitz but I am not going to pretend he has been great.  he's been ok at best, he kept Indy in the game last night but also led a great drive after Indy pulled w/in 3.  he has been mediocre and been lucky his TOs haven't been bigger thanks to his teammates picking him up.  all we need is mediocre and to limit big TOs so I am happy w/ him as of now but I won't pretend our QB problems are solved.

Aw, c'mon! You're more than willing to pretend that Sanchez has been great. 

I think some of the problem was more the playcalling that didn't match the situation, what the defense was giving up, or the personnel (namely Fitzpatrick without burners to get enough separation down there). Too many deep calls when they weren't necessary and when shorter stuff was working so well. I don't care that he can technically reach however many yards downfield. The deeper throws were mostly bad and in double or triple  coverage. 

I think things seem better because we won (don't they always?). He didn't have multiple turnovers (nor should he against a backup secondary), and the Colts offense did nothing (or shot themselves in the foot). The exact same game from Fitzpatrick and the offense, with the Colts scoring 30+ points like they commonly do, and after a 34-20 loss suddenly our same offense isn't so wonderful anymore.

All those breaks we got and it was still a 3 point game in the 4th quarter. 

As long as adjustments are made, it won't matter. There are no bonuses for style points. The comments are more of concern over potentially bad things to come. If the Colts' offense didn't take the night off, did they just display how to beat the Jets (let Fitzpatrick try to beat you deep)?

Agreed with the playing calling vs. situation.  The short passing game out of the spread was there, all day long.  It was frustrating that they didnt just shove it down their throat.  I can understand throwing the deep ball to set up the short pass game but that's not how they were using the deep ball.  It was typically on 3rd down and just throwing it up to Marshall. The other times, it felt like Fitz was just throwing the ball late to a safe deep spot in the zone.  Hard to tell obviously. It also seemed that Gailey struggled a bit responding to the Colts D handling the run game.  All that said, Bowles claims they didnt want the Colts to dictate how they called the game.  Which I get.  But exploiting a weakness is what the game is all about.  At least make them stop it first.  Especially on the road, creating turnovers at that rate.  You're playing with house money.

Like you said, there are no bonuses for style point. Probably nitpicking to nitpick but at then end of the day, Fitz made the right amount of plays to win the game. 

Aw, c'mon! You're more than willing to pretend that Sanchez has been great. 

Great? absolutely not but this team and those teams didn't need great QB play.  Mark was an average QB most of his time here.

2009 good for a rookie

2010 top 10ish

2011 middle of the pack

2012 bottom of the league

if postseason sanchez played 16 games in the reg season then that would have been different but he alternated btw looking really good and really bad, could never develop that consistency but to be fair post 2010 we kept changing weapons and losing talent every year.  This current team is more talented than any Mark played on, let's see them get to the title game at least.

Archived