If Fitz Keeps His Job, would Jets replace Geno with new backup?

Lizard King

If Fitz Keeps Job, Do Jets Part Ways w/Geno?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. If Fitz Keeps Job, Do Jets Part W/Geno

• Yes, Geno gone, Jets trade for/pickup backup
    • Geno is Kept on Roster

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it was a mistake to make the declaration so soon

lost all trade leverage

leverage for what a conditional 7th rd pick?  Fitzpatrick is playing well for us but he is injury prone if he gets injured which is more than 50% likely some point this season Geno will be the qb not Bryce Petty and certainly not some scrub who is currently on unemployment.

leverage for what a conditional 7th rd pick?  Fitzpatrick is playing well for us but he is injury prone if he gets injured which is more than 50% likely some point this season Geno will be the qb not Bryce Petty and certainly not some scrub who is currently on unemployment.

Are you really a doctor? Or a soothsayer?

Or do you have no clue on those odds and are just making things up again, Arnold?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Fitz is not especially injury prone. Sure he got hurt last year but not like he's been hurt a ton.

Fitz is not especially injury prone. Sure he got hurt last year but not like he's been hurt a ton.

two other comparisons

1) Fitzpatrick has never been the lowest rated QB in the NFL for 2 consecutive seasons

2) Fitzpatrick has never gotten his lights punched out for stiffing a teammate out of 600 dollars and daring him to do something about it

Hopefully the bust has taken his last ever snap as a QB of the NYJ

Are you really a doctor? Or a soothsayer?

Or do you have no clue on those odds and are just making things up again, Arnold?

no I'm just a guy who knows Fitzpatrick has been injured umpteen times in his career including a fractured leg but yeah let's just assume magically he'll make it through the entire season and playoffs and we don't need a backup

well yeah besides breaking his ribs and legs on separate occasions he's not injury prone at all

LOL Guy has played in NFL for 10 years you'll have to try much harder than that. In 10 year no time missed from soft tissue injuries (so far as I can tell) equals non-injury prone to anyone except a person who can't just admit maybe they made a little mistake.

Geno does that every game so whats yer point ? :P

my point was just that the questions are going to come from the media non-stop, if and when we lose a game and fitz plays poorly.  fair or unfair it's going to happen.

bowles was already getting asked if geno will play because he practiced this week.  

but i don't think bowles will not let it become a distraction.  

LOL Guy has played in NFL for 10 years you'll have to try much harder than that. In 10 year no time missed from soft tissue injuries (so far as I can tell) equals non-injury prone to anyone except a person who can't just admit maybe they made a mistake.

he's been a backup for most of those 10 years so not a hard try at all skippy

he's been a backup for most of those 10 years so not a hard try at all skippy

lol wow it's ok that you made a little boo boo, your ego can handle it (i hope). guy has played 99 games and broken some ribs and a leg in 10 years. he is durable as Hell. period. He is closer to Brett Favre than to Sam Bradford.

lol wow it's ok that you made a little boo boo, your ego can handle it (i hope). guy has played 99 games and broken some ribs and a leg in 10 years. he is durable as Hell. period. He is closer to Brett Favre than to Sam Bradford.

I wish the jets front office and coaching staff knew as much about football as you because they clearly intend to keep Geno rest of the season and have him as backup in case something happens to Fitz.

I wish the jets front office and coaching staff knew as much about football as you because they clearly intend to keep Geno rest of the season and have him as backup in case something happens to Fitz.

Way to change the subject. But thank you for surrendering your absurd assertion that Fitz is injury prone.

AddText.com generated Image

We have an effective starting QB in Fitzpatrick and a young backup with potential in Petty

No need to ruin the locker room by activating Punchy

Geno will be activated as soon as they feel he's ready to play. Maybe even sooner, because they do not want to be in a position to play Petty before he's ready. Bowles seems to have the locker room under control, as Geno participating in team meetings and practices hasn't hurt their chemistry. So they'll be making the smart football decision for the short and long term by activating Geno whether you like it or not. 

What about the ol' canard about Fitz's noodle arm? 

Many were emotionally vested in that idea ... really not reading it much lately.

Fitzpatrick does have one of the weaker arms for a starting QB in this league. It effects his deep ball accuracy, as he's really got to heave those passes resulting in no touch at all on them. All skills being otherwise equal, the stronger armed guy will be more accurate downfield. Getting Devin Smith back will help him if he performs as advertised: a receiver who's excellent at tracking balls in the air. Fitz has been rock solid on the short and intermediate stuff so far, though. The defense, running game, and play calling have all been his friends thru two games. Obviously, the hope is that trend will continue. 

What about the ol' canard about Fitz's noodle arm?

Many were emotionally vested in that idea ... really not reading it much lately.

At least an argument could be made there, I guess. But the injury prone thing was one of the most ridiculous statements ever made on JN. Guy has zero soft tissue injuries in 100 games played. lol.  And has been an above-average scrambler for most of his career which gives plenty of opportunities for him to go down if he was so prone.

I just hope we didn't jinx him.

Fitzpatrick does have one of the weaker arms for a starting QB in this league. It effects his deep ball accuracy, as he's really got to heave those passes resulting in no touch at all on them. All skills being otherwise equal, the stronger armed guy will be more accurate downfield. Getting Devin Smith back will help him if he performs as advertised: a receiver who's excellent at tracking balls in the air. Fitz has been rock solid on the short and intermediate stuff so far, though. The defense, running game, and play calling have all been his friends thru two games. Obviously, the hope is that trend will continue. 

The deep balls Fitz is throwing have been into coverage and have mostly been to Marshall because Marshall will go up and attempt to make a play. They are low percentage passes designed to open things up underneath, the possibility of a completion in those circumstances is very low but they still serve a purpose. Where do you come up with this crap Fitz does not have a strong arm so his deep passes are not accurate ? He has hit plenty of deep passes and he has a nice touch on them .

The guy has rarely missed open receivers and when he needs to, he steps up in the pocket and lets it go with some mustard on it. He has made 20 yard out throws on target and he has made some nice throws down the middle. I'm not sure what more you want from the guy. He's completing passes at a 62 percent rate, not making mistakes and has very good command at the LOS. He's finally playing with an O-line that can protect him and he's already stepped up into the pocket more than Sanchez and Geno combined.

Believe it or not we may have actually found a very good fit for this football team for the next 2 or 3 years while our young QB Brice Petty Develops. So please stop with the bad arm crap I see no evidence of Fitz having a "BAD" arm. Its middle of the road and I have not seen a throw the guy can't make as of this point. If you can throw a 20 yard out you can throw any pass in this league. If you are referring to throws that are designed as jump balls or back shoulder throws those are designed to work on timing if you come off the snap with a quick read there is no reason to zip them in, our Tall WR's can do most of the work (and they have) when the ball gets there which is another thing we have not seen here in years.

Fitz is light years above what we have seen here the past 7 years maybe we should stop trying to point out weaknesses and just be happy to finally have a QB that can do all the things a QB should be doing with his brain not his hyped up physical abilities that usually amount to nothing in this league.

Fitz is light years above what we have seen here the past 7 years maybe we should stop trying to point out weaknesses and just be happy to finally have a QB that can do all the things a QB should be doing with his brain not his hyped up physical abilities that usually amount to nothing in this league.

Yeah, and... ? 

I'm happier thru two games with Fitz than I expected to be, but he's still a bottom of the league arm-strength guy. His long balls have a ton of air under them, and rarely hit their mark. He and his coaches can work around that deficiency -especially the way he's been helped by his defense- but it's still a shortcoming. He's a solid guy under center working with a lead, we have yet to see him try to mount a comeback. His brain is overhyped. He hasn't shown genius skills on a football field. He's a better QB mostly as a result of experience, not because of any Harvard advantage. 

So far so good, but I'm not sold on the next few years based on games against a bad Cleveland team, and a poor/depleted Indy defense. Supplemented by ten takeaways! 

You can drink the kool-aid, lol. Me? I'm running to the jungle, and watching from a safe distance. :)

Yeah, and... ? 

I'm happier thru two games with Fitz than I expected to be, but he's still a bottom of the league arm-strength guy. His long balls have a ton of air under them, and rarely hit their mark. He and his coaches can work around that deficiency -especially the way he's been helped by his defense- but it's still a shortcoming. He's a solid guy under center working with a lead, we have yet to see him try to mount a comeback. His brain is overhyped. He hasn't shown genius skills on a football field. He's a better QB mostly as a result of experience, not because of any Harvard advantage. 

So far so good, but I'm not sold on the next few years based on games against a bad Cleveland team, and a poor/depleted Indy defense. Supplemented by ten takeaways! 

You can drink the kool-aid, lol. Me? I'm running to the jungle, and watching from a safe distance. :)

That Bad Cleveland team is notorious for shutting down opponents passing games for the past 2 years so whats your point ??

I'm not drinking Kool Aid Im just putting out there what I see. You should watch the games again and you will see when Fitz needs to step up and put some zip on the football he's fully capable. His arm is strong enough to make all the throws and I have seen him make them. Every week his arm gets stronger and stronger this weak arm myth is just that, a myth.

Biggest thing I see from Fitz more than anything else is that he is actually stepping up in the pocket with his eyes down field making plays. He is very comfortable in the pocket and is not bailing when the pressure comes around him. If that was Geno it would never ever have gone down that way since he has NEVER exhibited the ability to allow his lineman and backs to push the rush around him while he steps up. I would be willing to bet in the same circumstance Geno would have bailed on the pocket prematurely taken his eyes off what was going on down field and do something radically stupid. You wont see that from Fitz and that's why our offense is so much better along with WR's that are not borderline morons who can actually read the defense and adjust on the fly. Everything seems to be coming together and if being very optimistic is drinking Kool Aid then fill me up brotha :)

The Yeah, and? is in the 3 paragraphs about what you quoted

LK you're poll is limited add the Question will Geno be here at seasons end rather than just asking if they would part with him now.

I think Geno will be here this year and if Fitz stays the course and continues to play well we could very well see Geno traded (lol @ that team ) or released after the season of course depending on what Petty shows the coaching staff during that time. If Petty really Impresses I don't think there is any way the Jets keep Geno 

Bowles was asked if Petty or Geno would be the active backup. He said, whoever is playing better. So Smith may be cleared, but he may not be on the active roster for Sunday. Not exactly a vote of confidence.

Also said that Petty and Geno split the scout team reps.

Doesn't sound like they can't wait for him to get back to me.  Pretty non-commital.

That Bad Cleveland team is notorious for shutting down opponents passing games for the past 2 years so whats your point ??

I'm not drinking Kool Aid Im just putting out there what I see. You should watch the games again and you will see when Fitz needs to step up and put some zip on the football he's fully capable. His arm is strong enough to make all the throws and I have seen him make them. Every week his arm gets stronger and stronger this weak arm myth is just that, a myth.

Biggest thing I see from Fitz more than anything else is that he is actually stepping up in the pocket with his eyes down field making plays. He is very comfortable in the pocket and is not bailing when the pressure comes around him. If that was Geno it would never ever have gone down that way since he has NEVER exhibited the ability to allow his lineman and backs to push the rush around him while he steps up. I would be willing to bet in the same circumstance Geno would have bailed on the pocket prematurely taken his eyes off what was going on down field and do something radically stupid. You wont see that from Fitz and that's why our offense is so much better along with WR's that are not borderline morons who can actually read the defense and adjust on the fly. Everything seems to be coming together and if being very optimistic is drinking Kool Aid then fill me up brotha :)

The Yeah, and? is in the 3 paragraphs about what you quoted

Fitzpatrick has below average arm-strength. To me, that's not debatable. He may be able to overcome that, but so far we haven't seen that ability because he's only been asked to manage football games so far. Speculation about what Geno might've done in the same situations is just that; speculation. Not that I love Geno by any stretch of the imagination (especially post-punch), but I have little reason to believe the Jets wouldn't be 2-0 right now with him at QB. As you've said, the WRs are greatly improved this year. 

Fitz will have to grow along with the rest of the team if he's going to be anything more than a placeholder at the position. He's fortunate in that the schedule has given him room to grow. I'm rooting for him, Dude. Relax. :)

Yeah, and... ? 

I think the talent level and the defense might also make him less error prone.  But he is what he is.

Fitzpatrick has below average arm-strength. To me, that's not debatable. He may be able to overcome that, but so far we haven't seen that ability because he's only been asked to manage football games so far. Speculation about what Geno might've done in the same situations is just that; speculation. Not that I love Geno by any stretch of the imagination (especially post-punch), but I have little reason to believe the Jets wouldn't be 2-0 right now with him at QB. As you've said, the WRs are greatly improved this year. 

Fitz will have to grow along with the rest of the team if he's going to be anything more than a placeholder at the position. He's fortunate in that the schedule has given him room to grow. I'm rooting for him, Dude. Relax. :)

Sorry but it is debatable his arm is NOT below average. Just because he does not gun every single throw in there and chooses to you a nice touch does not equate to a below average arm. I have seen him step up and throw some darts so I'm really not sure what games you are watching of if you think a QB needs to throw every pass 100 miles an hour. Is his arm Top tier in the league ? of course not but its far from below average. He zips it in there when he needs too.

Like I said a few times this may just be the right fit for both parties very much the same like Vinny in 98 . We have seen tremendous flashes through the years from Fitz something we have not seen here in a long time. The question has Always been consistency if he gets over that hump (and I think he will) we are in very good shape this year.

I know you're rooting for him I just don't see the weak arm you're describing

I imagine that will happen a few times this year.  Every QB and every coach deals with that.  We would have to go on a few game slide with bad QB play before he pulls the trigger. 

What happens if Fitz throw three consecutive games for roughly 200 yards each, with multiple picks each game m, yet we continue to win based on our D giving up <20 points each? Fitz is on a short leash just like how Geno would have been. 

Sorry but it is debatable his arm is NOT below average. Just because he does not gun every single throw in there and chooses to you a nice touch does not equate to a below average arm. I have seen him step up and throw some darts so I'm really not sure what games you are watching of if you think a QB needs to throw every pass 100 miles an hour. Is his arm Top tier in the league ? of course not but its far from below average. 

Like I said a few times this may just be the right fit for both parties very much the same like Vinny in 98 . We have seen tremendous flashes through the years from Fitz something we have not seen here in a long time. The question has Always been consistency if he gets over that hump (and I think he will) we are in very good shape this year.

I know you're rooting for him I just don't see the weak arm you're describing

"Tremendous" is a tremendous overstatement. He's on his 6th team. 4th in the last 4 years. 

OK but other than this why are you rooting against Fitz?

What happens if Fitz throw three consecutive games for roughly 200 yards each, with multiple picks each game m, yet we continue to win based on our D giving up <20 points each? Fitz is on a short leash just like how Geno would have been. 

I think they know what they have in Fitz.   Him having a few shitty games is pretty much a given.  He has his whole career.  Why stop now?  Pretty sure they don't want to go back to Geno.  Honestly I think if Fitz stays healthy he will be the QB this year.

I think they know what they have in Fitz.   Him having a few sh*tty games is pretty much a given.  He has his whole career.  Why stop now?  Pretty sure they don't want to go back to Geno.  Honestly I think if Fitz stays healthy he will be the QB this year.

I have a different viewpoint on this. If Bowles was clearly done with Geno, why wait till one day before Geno goes through a full practice to say he will be a backup? We all know what we have in Fitz like you said. He will have sh*tty games. What we don't know is what we have in Geno. I like how people bash him for being erratic but they quickly forget he had no WRs last year outside of an injured Decker and it was still his 2nd year in the league. He's not Manning but he's far from a David Carr or a Joey Harrington. He had an outstanding quarter to end the season with two healthy starting caliber WRs. I see a glass half-full with Geno I guess. 

Two-three bad games by Fitz and I am 100% sure he'll be warming the bench. Fitz was always supposed to be a backup but Bowles is just riding the wave for now. That's why there was a scramble in the Jets FO asking other teams about trading their QB (Kirk C.). 

I have a different viewpoint on this. If Bowles was clearly done with Geno, why wait till one day before Geno goes through a full practice to say he will be a backup? We all know what we have in Fitz like you said. He will have sh*tty games. What we don't know is what we have in Geno. I like how people bash him for being erratic but they quickly forget he had no WRs last year outside of an injured Decker and it was still his 2nd year in the league. He's not Manning but he's far from a David Carr or a Joey Harrington. He had an outstanding quarter to end the season with two healthy starting caliber WRs. I see a glass half-full with Geno I guess. 

Two-three bad games by Fitz and I am 100% sure he'll be warming the bench. Fitz was always supposed to be a backup but Bowles is just riding the wave for now. That's why there was a scramble in the Jets FO asking other teams about trading their QB (Kirk C.). 

You're right

Compared with GeNONONO, David Carr and Joey Harrington and also Rick Mirer and Jamarcus Russell were HOFers

Makes no sense to trade Geno now.  His status will be assessed in the offseason, depending on the following:

1.  Do we keep Fitzpatrick?  He is only signed thru the end of this season.

2.  Does Bryce Petty show improvement in practice?  If so, there might only be a need to carry 2 QB's on the gameday roster next year, making Geno expendable.

3.  Do we draft/sign any more QB's?  I certainly hope so.  We should be heavily invested in the QB market this offseason.

4.  Will the team consider Geno's presence on the roster a distraction?  Depends heavily on how Geno behaves/performs the remainder of this season as the backup (or, if Fitz struggles heavily or gets hurt, as the replacement off the bench).

Geno's contract doesn't expire until 2016, and he's relatively cheap.  His cap number is just $1.6M next season.  While sort of on the "high end" for backup QB's, it's not nearly the highest.  Ryan Mallett, by comparison, is due to count $3.5M against the cap next season.  Mark Sanchez is due to count for $5.5M next season. 

However, if the end result of all of the above is that Geno is # 3 or 4 on the depth chart, then yes, at that point he can probably be safely let go.  It'll be the best thing for us AND him, since he obviously wants to be able to compete for a starting job somewhere. 

He'll be one of the cheapest backup QBs in the league. 1/3 of that cap number is prorated signing bonus. It hits next year's cap whether we keep or cut him, so if you're imagining a different option you can add a half million dollars to that guy's cap # the same as it's being applied to Geno. 

Apples to apples over an incoming, veteran replacement he costs $1.1M above a built-in, prorated bonus that's unavoidable. $1.1M is very cheap, not relatively cheap. It's not even $1M more than an UDFA rookie roster bubble player gets.

The only cheaper backup QBs, with a salary cap approaching $150M, will be players drafted way lower than Geno who are also on their rookie contracts (like Petty). Regardless, it's so cheap anyway that cost is in no way a factor. Not even if he was behind Petty on the depth chart (unless another serious QB prospect was drafted). Even then they wouldn't (and shouldn't) cut him unless he's causing problems.

It's doubtful. He doesn't have enough clout as starter to cause problems. And the last time he caused any noteworthy problem in the locker room, he got his face smashed in. 

Archived