If Fitz Keeps His Job, would Jets replace Geno with new backup?

Lizard King

If Fitz Keeps Job, Do Jets Part Ways w/Geno?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. If Fitz Keeps Job, Do Jets Part W/Geno

• Yes, Geno gone, Jets trade for/pickup backup
    • Geno is Kept on Roster

ok let's say fitzpatrick is playing like he is now about 60% completion and 2/1 td/int, but he gets injured midseason and needs to sit a few games. geno comes in relief and plays really well for those games, better than fitzpatrick. do they go back to fitzpatrick when he's healthy or stay with geno?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok let's say fitzpatrick is playing like he is now about 60% completion and 2/1 td/int, but he gets injured midseason and needs to sit a few games. geno comes in relief and plays really well for those games, better than fitzpatrick. do they go back to fitzpatrick when he's healthy or stay with geno?

So run around like a chicken with it's head cut off Geno is going to play better than calm, cool, and collected Fitxmagic?  Better than 60% completion and a 2/1 td/int ratio?  Step up in the pocket rather than run backwards 20 yards?  Thow the ball away rather than throw it to the other team?

hahahahahahahaha...  never happen.  Not unless he can wear the red jersey in games like he did in camp. 

So run around like a chicken with it's head cut off Geno is going to play better than calm, cool, and collected Fitxmagic?  Better than 60% completion and a 2/1 td/int ratio?  Step up in the pocket rather than run backwards 20 yards?  Thow the ball away rather than throw it to the other team?

hahahahahahahaha...  never happen.  Not unless he can wear the red jersey in games like he did in camp. 

you're probably right, but if it did happen what does this regime do? if he can play better, do they feel that geno can lead this team for the long term?

you're probably right, but if it did happen what does this regime do? if he can play better, do they feel that geno can lead this team for the long term?

Yep

"Lead" them to defeats, failure and firings of coaches and GMs as he did in his first two sparkling attempts at NFL quarterbacking

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Yep

"Lead" them to defeats, failure and firings of coaches and GMs as he did in his first two sparkling attempts at NFL quarterbacking

even if fitzpatrick is efficient this year he's not the answer going forward. i'm not saying geno is, but if geno has a chance to show something this year, you've got to think he'll get a lot of consideration to be the starter going forward.

even if fitzpatrick is efficient this year he's not the answer going forward. i'm not saying geno is, but if geno has a chance to show something this year, you've got to think he'll get a lot of consideration to be the starter going forward.

People keep saying this.  While the coaching staff and front office will do their due diligence with Geno (just as they have from the start), this regime didn't draft him, don't have any incentive to try to develop him or be patient with him, and brought in 2 new QB's this past offseason.  Players have lost their jobs for lesser reasons than Geno.  He may well be on the roster next year, but the circumstances by which Geno got hurt and Fitz playing even marginally well gives this regime plenty of reasons to move on from him.

He'll be one of the cheapest backup QBs in the league. 1/3 of that cap number is prorated signing bonus. It hits next year's cap whether we keep or cut him, so if you're imagining a different option you can add a half million dollars to that guy's cap # the same as it's being applied to Geno. 

Apples to apples over an incoming, veteran replacement he costs $1.1M above a built-in, prorated bonus that's unavoidable. $1.1M is very cheap, not relatively cheap. It's not even $1M more than an UDFA rookie roster bubble player gets.

The only cheaper backup QBs, with a salary cap approaching $150M, will be players drafted way lower than Geno who are also on their rookie contracts (like Petty). Regardless, it's so cheap anyway that cost is in no way a factor. Not even if he was behind Petty on the depth chart (unless another serious QB prospect was drafted). Even then they wouldn't (and shouldn't) cut him unless he's causing problems.

It's doubtful. He doesn't have enough clout as starter to cause problems. And the last time he caused any noteworthy problem in the locker room, he got his face smashed in. 

stop speaking intelligently about this subject

People keep saying this.  While the coaching staff and front office will do their due diligence with Geno (just as they have from the start), this regime didn't draft him, don't have any incentive to try to develop him or be patient with him, and brought in 2 new QB's this past offseason.  Players have lost their jobs for lesser reasons than Geno.  He may well be on the roster next year, but the circumstances by which Geno got hurt and Fitz playing even marginally well gives this regime plenty of reasons to move on from him.

They replaced Matt Simms and Michael Vick with those two QBs, not Geno, and named Geno the starter almost immediately upon taking over the team. A job he held until he got his jaw broken. The team has plenty of incentive to develop and be patient with him if they believe that he has talent. Their words and actions prior to the infamous punch lead me to believe they do think he has talent. 

Petty and Fitzpatrick, a cheap FA vet and a 2016 draftee will compete for the job next offseason

Geno will be a third stringer with some team with a combination of a desperate QB situation and/or blind or stupid management. Maybe Snyder, the Raidaz, da Bears or Miami (Tannenbaum) or Jacksonville (Idzik) or Buffalo (WRECKS)

i'm not a geno fan, but if he can play well enough he's what we've got until someone better is found, which is not easy. that's enough incentive not to move on from him.

Silly thread.  Fitz hadn't gotten but a handful of 1st team reps until Geno got hurt.  The competition was over last February.  I keep hearing about this being the best QBing we've had in 7 years while not acknowledging this is also far and away the best assortment of offensive talent we've had in the same time.  I know people want to think Fitz would have magically had Idziks team hovering around .500 but it's simply not true.  He would have had the same or worse record than Geno had...  as has been his m.o. his entire career.

He's off to a cute start and that's what we need but lets stop pretending he's suddenly some upper echelon QB.  He's serviceable.  Which is great.  But if not for the IK roundhouse I have a feeling we'd be talking about a resurgence in Genos career right about now.

Silly thread.  Fitz hadn't gotten but a handful of 1st team reps until Geno got hurt.  The competition was over last February.  I keep hearing about this being the best QBing we've had in 7 years while not acknowledging this is also far and away the best assortment of offensive talent we've had in the same time.  I know people want to think Fitz would have magically had Idziks team hovering around .500 but it's simply not true.  He would have had the same or worse record than Geno had...  as has been his m.o. his entire career.

He's off to a cute start and that's what we need but lets stop pretending he's suddenly some upper echelon QB.  He's serviceable.  Which is great.  But if not for the IK roundhouse I have a feeling we'd be talking about a resurgence in Genos career right about now.

I'm pretty sure that our improvement this year has mostly to do with the new discipline the coaching staff has instilled via less turnovers, plus obviously Brandon Marshall, plus more attention to offense and better schemes. 

We will also have the opportunity to see if Geno can perform as well. My gut tells me no because Geno is unintelligent plus can't hit the broad side of a barn. 

They replaced Matt Simms and Michael Vick with those two QBs, not Geno, and named Geno the starter almost immediately upon taking over the team. A job he held until he got his jaw broken. The team has plenty of incentive to develop and be patient with him if they believe that he has talent. Their words and actions prior to the infamous punch lead me to believe they do think he has talent. 

Geno was named the starter (sort of) because he was the incumbent and Fitz was hurt.  He performed well in camp.  You know, the 2 hand touch version of football, at half speed.  AND he was wearing the red jersey the whole time.

Flag football I am choosing Geno to be my QB over Fitz.  Real NFL football?  Not so much.

Actually, we know Geno's downside all too well.  Maybe you didn't have enough.

We all know he was sh*t in his rookie year with a sh*t group of catchers. Same for year two, except for the last 4 games, in which he coincidentally looked very calm and in control. I wonder why? 

So yeah, we all know what he is with a sh*t group of stone hand WRs. We don't know what he will be with two NFL caliber WRs. 

While this regime didn't draft Geno right now he has the most potential of any QB on the team. If Fitz plays all season or if they decide to dump Geno , the Jets are basically starting over looking for a new starter next season. In a league where HC's/GM's shelf lives are small that's a big risk to take. 

We all know he was sh*t in his rookie year with a sh*t group of catchers. Same for year two, except for the last 4 games, in which he coincidentally looked very calm and in control. I wonder why? 

So yeah, we all know what he is with a sh*t group of stone hand WRs. We don't know what he will be with two NFL caliber WRs. 

And if you were a fan of Houston or Buffalo you'd probably be saying the same about Fitzy.

And if you were a fan of Houston or Buffalo you'd probably be saying the same about Fitzy

No, not really. Outside of a few hand ful of games by a healthy Decker, Geno had Nelson, Salas, Kerley, and Clyde Gates start a bunch of games with him. Fitz? See below:

2014 Texans: Andre Johnson, Hopkins, Arian Foster

2013 Titans: Kendall Write, Dalanie Walker, Nate Washington. 

2012 Bills: Stevie Johnson

Lots of thousand yard receivers. 

No, not really. Outside of a few hand ful of games by a healthy Decker, Geno had Nelson, Salas, Kerley, and Clyde Gates start a bunch of games with him. Fitz? See below:

2014 Texans: Andre Johnson, Hopkins, Arian Foster

2013 Titans: Kendall Write, Dalanie Walker, Nate Washington. 

2012 Bills: Stevie Johnson

Lots of thousand yard receivers. 

Sorry , I meant to quote the person you quoted , about having enough of Geno. 

While this regime didn't draft Geno right now he has the most potential of any QB on the team. If Fitz plays all season or if they decide to dump Geno , the Jets are basically starting over looking for a new starter next season. In a league where HC's/GM's shelf lives are small that's a big risk to take. 

Just checked the roster.

They have this Petty kid who they drafted and who had a terrific career at Baylor, showed some potential in TC and the preseason and will be competing with Fitzpatrick, a FA vet and another drafted 2016 pick for the job next offseason

Dumping GeNONONO is a given

Who's out there to bring in? Think about it. They had Matt Flynn and Josh Johnson in here, and let them walk. I understand that people hate Geno, but he's still the best option for this team as a backup for this year. 

If you were to ask Villian.... he'd do the Geno to TB; Glenn to Jets  deal.

In fact, I'd probably do that one also.

If you were to ask Villian.... he'd do the Geno to TB; Glenn to Jets  deal.

In fact, I'd probably do that one also.

Lol. I'd trade Geno for Aaron Rogers straight up, too. :) 

Seriously, why would Tampa do that? They have a cheap, young QB with starting experience who knows their system and players. Why would they even consider moving him for Geno Smith? If they decide to move him, it'll be for picks. Or a starter who fills a need elsewhere. It won't be for Winston's backup. 

Meanwhile, the Jets have a cheap, young QB with starting experience who knows their system and players. They're unlikely to just dump him while he's under contract, and he has little or no trade value. If Fitz can maintain his level of play, the Jets are gonna resign him to continue starting. If that's the case, having Geno as an inexpensive backup works. If Fitz falters, the QB job is wide open next year. That gets dicier. Really don't see Geno as a good soldier if he lose a camp competition to Petty. 

Still, unless the Jets can convince someone to give them something for Geno in a trade, keeping him next season and then letting him walk once his contract is up -and maybe getting a comp pick down the road as a result- is probably the best option. 

Lol. I'd trade Geno for Aaron Rogers straight up, too. :) 

Seriously, why would Tampa do that? They have a cheap, young QB with starting experience who knows their system and players. Why would they even consider moving him for Geno Smith? If they decide to move him, it'll be for picks. Or a starter who fills a need elsewhere. It won't be for Winston's backup. 

Meanwhile, the Jets have a cheap, young QB with starting experience who knows their system and players. They're unlikely to just dump him while he's under contract, and he has little or no trade value. If Fitz can maintain his level of play, the Jets are gonna resign him to continue starting. If that's the case, having Geno as an inexpensive backup works. If Fitz falters, the QB job is wide open next year. That gets dicier. Really don't see Geno as a good soldier if he lose a camp competition to Petty. 

Still, unless the Jets can convince someone to give them something for Geno in a trade, keeping him next season and then letting him walk once his contract is up -and maybe getting a comp pick down the road as a result- is probably the best option. 

To this I would only say that trading Glennon would take the heat off them if Winston struggles. TB spent the 1st pick in the draft on this guy, while Glennon, though unspectacular has done a solid job. I too don't see this happening, but I could see a Glennon trade in the off-season to get a player and take away any second guessing by the fans.

Just checked the roster.

They have this Petty kid who they drafted and who had a terrific career at Baylor, showed some potential in TC and the preseason and will be competing with Fitzpatrick, a FA vet and another drafted 2016 pick for the job next offseason

Petty may develop but is still raw , Geno has the best talent at QB right now.  But you call him GeNONO so I doubt you have any objectivity on this. 

Just checked the roster.

Makes pretty much no sense at all to dump Geno.  No matter how many NONONOs you add to his name

Petty may develop but is still raw , Geno has the best talent at QB right now.  But you call him GeNONO so I doubt you have any objectivity on this. 

His "talent" has already shone through. He is turnover prone dumpster fire and can't read a defense any better than he can read Chinese writing. 

But don't take my word for it - try and find a non-Jet fan who would like him on his team. Go try, seriously. 

Watching this BUST stink up the field for two long, awful, failed seasons knocked all my objectivity out of me.

Thanks to Maccagnan for Fitzpatrick and Petty and to IK, of course, the Jets finally have a positive QB situation for both the short and long term.

Those of you who believe in fairy tales can continue on about his potential if you must. Those of us with eyes have seen more than enough

His "talent" has already shone through. He is turnover prone dumpster fire and can't read a defense any better than he can read Chinese writing. 

But don't take my word for it - try and find a non-Jet fan who would like him on his team. Go try, seriously. 

Go and sell the entire Jets offense of 2013 and 2014 , Rex included to any other non-Jet fan. Its funny how competent coaching can make a difference.

+ a zillion

Go and sell the entire Jets offense of 2013 and 2014 , Rex included to any other non-Jet fan. Its funny how competent coaching can make a difference.

Geno is an explosive butthole and not some kind of unusual talent. My God, he got knocked out by a teammate for being the ultimate doosh after being the worst quarterback in the league for two consecutive seasons - all he actually showed was that he was not ready to play QB in this league.  

The only reason he's not Ja'Marcus Russell or Ryan Leaf is because of where he was drafted - otherwise he's in that conversation. What has he shown that you're hanging on to, greatness in this year's pre-pre-season? If I'm not mistaken, Ken O'Brien used to regularly clean up NFL's best arm competitions, hitting moving targets from 50 yards away. Didn't really translate into greatness, sadly.  

Sorry boys Geno is going nowhere until next offseason.

Agree

Maybe a boob like Tanny in Miami, WRECKS in Buffalo, Snyder or Davis and da Raidaz would be a good landing spot for his HUGE potential and MASSIVE talent. Otherwise off to the CFL or Arena for him

Geno is an explosive butthole and not some kind of unusual talent. My God, he got knocked out by a teammate for being the ultimate doosh after being the worst quarterback in the league for two consecutive seasons - all he actually showed was that he was not ready to play QB in this league.  

The only reason he's not Ja'Marcus Russell or Ryan Leaf is because of where he was drafted - otherwise he's in that conversation. What has he shown that you're hanging on to, greatness in this year's pre-pre-season? If I'm not mistaken, Ken O'Brien used to regularly clean up NFL's best arm competitions, hitting moving targets from 50 yards away. Didn't really translate into greatness, sadly.  

Except the last 4 or 5 games of last year says he may have the talent.  All the rest is just I don't like him repetition.  He has issues but he isnt Russell, isn't Leaf.  Isnt even Ponder, Cassel or as bad as some others a year ago.  And please theres no reason to make it out that IK is a better person than the guy he assaulted.

Archived