RIP Yogi Berra

faba

One of the all time greats, he had a great life but these past few years had been really difficult for him and his family.  It was amazing he held on as long as he did.  of the true old time legends I think Yogi is the last after we lost Mantle and DiMaggio in the 90s. 

"He hits from both sides of the play.  He's amphibious."

"You can observe a lot just by watching."

"I always thought that record would stand until it was broken."

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

"Ninety percent of this game is half mental."

"It ain't the heat, it's the humility."

"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."

"If people don't want come out to the ballpark, how are you going to stop them?"

And perhaps the most relevant today,

"You should always go to other people's funerals.  Otherwise, they won't come to yours."

--- The great Yogi Berra

How in the hell did he not get one?   I'm sorry, I take over any of the "Core 4", even Mo.  Mo was the best closer, but a 3 time MVP catcher who hits like him and fields like him is invaluable.

They don't get a monument until they die.  Miller Huggins got the very first monument after he died suddenly while he was still the Yankee manager. Seen below that monument was in the field of play.  The last two DiMaggio and Mantle both had plaques in Monument Park, it wasn't until they died that they got monuments. Mantle died first so he got a monument 3 years before DiMaggio.Yogi already has a plaque, so I assume they will now move to get the man a monument now that he's gone.

Monuments1932May30HugginsMonumen-1.jpg

Monument Park pretty much has a 3 tier system.

Tier 3: A plaque hanging on the back wall- Allie Reynolds, Lefty Gomez, Red Ruffing, Tino Martinez, Paul O'Neill, ect

Tier 2: A plaque like above, plus retired number- Bill Dickey, Whitey Ford (monument when he dies?) Thurman Munson, Don Mattingly, Andy Pettitte, Bernie Williams, ect

Tier 1: A plaque that's mounted on a monument, plus retired number- Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, ect

Archived