Devin Smith

SoFlaJets

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His draft profile compared him to DeSean Jackson, I think he compares to more to a Laveranues Coles just about the same size (Smith an inch taller) almost identical speed as when Coles came out from FSU and if we can get Coles-like production out of him or even Dedric Ward type numbers as a 3rd receiver add in Kerley, Owusu, and Enunwa and this could very well be the deepest set of receivers since (again, and we seem to keep going back to it) the 1998 season of Keyshaun, Chrebet, Ward, and Alex Van Dyke, they only carried 4 WRs apparently that year but got great production in a different era from pass catching running backs

Curtis Martin was thrown to 57 times had 43 catches for 365 and 1 TD

Leon Johnson (remember him?) had 13 catches for 222 2TDs and one of them an 82 yarder!

Keith Byars had 26 for 258 and 3 TDs

Richie Anderson was 3 for 12 yds

Jerald Sowell had 10 for 59 yds

His draft profile compared him to DeSean Jackson, I think he compares to more to a Laveranues Coles just about the same size (Smith an inch taller) almost identical speed as when Coles came out from FSU and if we can get Coles-like production out of him or even Dedric Ward type numbers as a 3rd receiver add in Kerley, Owusu, and Enunwa and this could very well be the deepest set of receivers since (again, and we seem to keep going back to it) the 1998 season of Keyshaun, Chrebet, Ward, and Alex Van Dyke, they only carried 4 WRs apparently that year but got great production in a different era from pass catching running backs

Curtis Martin was thrown to 57 times had 43 catches for 365 and 1 TD

Leon Johnson (remember him?) had 13 catches for 222 2TDs and one of them an 82 yarder!

Keith Byars had 26 for 258 and 3 TDs

Richie Anderson was 3 for 12 yds

Jerald Sowell had 10 for 59 yds

I remember Leon Johnson both as a RB and as the guy that threw the pass Parcells should never have called against the Lions in 1997.  The first thing I remembered about him was that he was the first guy I remembered them letting take Boozer's number.

Not knocking Fitz, legit question.  Does Fitz have the ability to take advantage of Smith's speed?  

Devin has some great highlight videos.  The one constant though is a QB launching the ball.

I don't think it matters.  You need deep speed to spread the D.  Fitzpatrick threw a few deep balls incomplete to Owusu this week.  They may be considered failures, but they probably helped open things up underneath.  FWIW, almost all of the draft reports mentioned Smith suffering from tons of underthrows at Ohio State.

I don't think it matters.  You need deep speed to spread the D.  Fitzpatrick threw a few deep balls incomplete to Owusu this week.  They may be considered failures, but they probably helped open things up underneath.  FWIW, almost all of the draft reports mentioned Smith suffering from tons of underthrows at Ohio State.

True, but Devin is one of the reasons I haven't forgotten about Geno yet.  The Smith-to-Smith combo could be just like Geno and Austin in WV.

From watching the game on Monday, I know that Fitz can certainly throw deep into double coverage.  Can he hit an open man?  That is still up for review....

Ugh... both of those throws were on the mark for Marshall to catch.  In fact, at least one, if not both, hit Marshalls hands.  Was he double covered?  Yes.  But a player like Marshall will out jump and out muscle DBs for the ball often.  

Double covered? Yes.  Good calculated throw into double coverage?  Also, yes.

Does anyone know if he's gonna play this week?

Five things we learned from Todd Bowles…

Jets head coach Todd Bowles spoke to reporters on Tuesday. Here are five things we learned…

1.) He’s hopeful Devin Smith will play against the Eagles on Sunday, but he’ll have to see how Smith comes along as the week progresses.

2.) Zac Stacy was activated due to lingering concern over Chris Ivory‘s groin.

3.) The Jets are making “great strides” and he’s not surprised the team is 2-0.

4.) Mo Wilkerson‘s play over the first two games has impressed Bowles.

5.) Some of the turnovers the Jets forced on Monday were due to game preparation, but others were due to luck.

Devin's got a couple of inches on him, I think, but he reminds me a lot of this guy:

I was hoping that the Patriots would pick him at the end of round 1, but a couple teams ahead of them (mainly the Colts) left them no choice when they idiotically passed on Malcom Brown. 

If I remember correctly, Parcells didn't like the way she practiced, right?

I remember Leon Johnson both as a RB and as the guy that threw the pass Parcells should never have called against the Lions in 1997.  The first thing I remembered about him was that he was the first guy I remembered them letting take Boozer's number.

Actually Blair Thomas,Anthony Johnson and Sherriden May had it before Leon Johnson got it..

Wasn't Shaun Springs the guy who picked that off?  That was horrible.

Actually Blair Thomas,Anthony Johnson and Sherriden May had it before Leon Johnson got it..

You suck, good sir.  I have spent decades wiping the memory of that bow legged **** from my mind.  In one fell swoop you have put him rocking back and forth in the backfield while the hole closed up before him right to the forefront.

Wasn't Shaun Springs the guy who picked that off?  That was horrible.

Had to look it up, but it was Bryant Westbrook.  Collegiate killing machine at Texas.  Only Rex Ryan would be stupid enough to run the wildcat. It's not like Bill Parcells would ever spit up a 10 point lead with the postseason on the line.  The Jets threw 3 INTs, but only one was by O'Donnell. O'Donnell was 21-35 for 202, but Parcells mixed Ray Lucas in during drives. Lucas was 3 of 4 for 28 yards and a pick.  Lucas pick came on 3 and 14 from the 29.  Johnson's 1st and 10 from the 9 in a game lost by 3.  Ugh.  Maybe thinking about Blair Thomas wasn't that bad.

Had to look it up, but it was Bryant Westbrook.  Collegiate killing machine at Texas.  Only Rex Ryan would be stupid enough to run the wildcat. It's not like Bill Parcells would ever spit up a 10 point lead with the postseason on the line.  The Jets threw 3 INTs, but only one was by O'Donnell. O'Donnell was 21-35 for 202, but Parcells mixed Ray Lucas in during drives. Lucas was 3 of 4 for 28 yards and a pick.  Lucas pick came on 3 and 14 from the 29.  Johnson's 1st and 10 from the 9 in a game lost by 3.  Ugh.  Maybe thinking about Blair Thomas wasn't that bad.

That's funny because my first thought was Westbrook then I thought I was going crazy and thought about the WR Westbrook and Springs was the next name that came to mind.  That game was brutal....that pick from Johnson was mind-boggling.  I remember being livid after that game.

That's funny because my first thought was Westbrook then I thought I was going crazy and thought about the WR Westbrook and Springs was the next name that came to mind.  That game was brutal....that pick from Johnson was mind-boggling.  I remember being livid after that game.

I remember being livid during that game.  After it I was just pissed.  I had this feeling like I was a little kid, but I wasn't.  I remember waiting for it to end and then going out into the cold dark night trying to buy Christmas presents while cursing at everyone and everything that crossed my path. .

I remember being livid during that game.  After it I was just pissed.  I had this feeling like I was a little kid, but I wasn't.  I remember waiting for it to end and then going out into the cold dark night trying to buy Christmas presents while cursing at everyone and everything that crossed my path. .

I went back to my dorm room and logged in to an NFL chat room on AOL.com to scream at Seahawks fans...lol

If I remember correctly, Parcells didn't like the way she practiced, right?

Glenn was the centerpiece of the whole "grocery shopping" conflict that hastened Parcells departure.  The whole "she" thing was more about that than anything else.   While Glenn wasn't exactly the most coachable player Parcells ever had, the 90-1132-6 line that he put up in his rookie year pretty much took care of whatever issues Parcells may have had with "her" practice habits. 

Glenn was the centerpiece of the whole "grocery shopping" conflict that hastened Parcells departure.  The whole "she" thing was more about that than anything else.   While Glenn wasn't exactly the most coachable player Parcells ever had, the 90-1132-6 line that he put up in his rookie year pretty much took care of whatever issues Parcells may have had with "her" practice habits. 

Terry Glenn was the first player Parcells signed when he went to Dallas. Clearly he liked the kid.

Ugh... both of those throws were on the mark for Marshall to catch.  In fact, at least one, if not both, hit Marshalls hands.  Was he double covered?  Yes.  But a player like Marshall will out jump and out muscle DBs for the ball often.  

Double covered? Yes.  Good calculated throw into double coverage?  Also, yes.

And the ones launched for Owusu?  He was doubled as well, but Fitz felt that was the best read on the play, I guess.  When your third best receiver on the field is doubled, you would figure one of the other guys is one on one.  

Archived