Devin Smith

SoFlaJets

Not concerned. He seems badly out of sync with Fitz, which is to be expected considering how little they've played together.

He was getting open quite a bit, just maybe not in the places Fitz is expecting him to. I'll be concerned if the exact same things are happening in Week 16.

For now though, considering this team looks like it can make a run at the playoffs, I'd sit him behind Kerley and give him chances here and there. His speed will be a distraction to a defence even at the worst of times. I don't know what's going with Kerley. I get that they like Decker out of the slot but even still I'd rather have Kerley as a wide option than Enunwa or Smith right now. He's a very solid player who's reliable. His exile is pretty inexplicable as far as I'm concerned and I really feel for the guy. 

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not concerned. He seems badly out of sync with Fitz, which is to be expected considering how little they've played together.

He was getting open quite a bit, just maybe not in the places Fitz is expecting him to. I'll be concerned if the exact same things are happening in Week 16.

For now though, considering this team looks like it can make a run at the playoffs, I'd sit him behind Kerley and give him chances here and there. His speed will be a distraction to a defence even at the worst of times. I don't know what's going with Kerley. I get that they like Decker out of the slot but even still I'd rather have Kerley as a wide option than Enunwa or Smith right now. He's a very solid player who's reliable. His exile is pretty inexplicable as far as I'm concerned and I really feel for the guy. 

You dont sit a guy who you just confirmed has been "getting open quite a bit". You continue to grind at it. Of all the problems we've had over the decades at drafting the WR position you dont sit a guy who's getting open. You have them practice together and get it right. Why do you sit a guy who's getting open yet keep the guy who's missing him? 

You dont sit a guy who you just confirmed has been "getting open quite a bit". You continue to grind at it. Of all the problems we've had over the decades at drafting the WR position you dont sit a guy who's getting open. You have them practice together and get it right. Why do you sit a guy who's getting open yet keep the guy who's missing him? 

Well Kerley can get open quite a bit too and doesn't quite have the same chemistry issues with the team/QB. If this was last year I'd start Smith and focus on developing him but this season I think the best guy right now should play. I'd go with Kerley, for now, while giving Smith more and more reps as the season goes on. If he starts excelling them I'd start him - Basically leave it as an open competition between the two. Smith will develop even with some extended time at practice, he's missed so much. I think it's actually a pretty steep jump he's going through at the minute and I'm not sure it's the best thing for his confidence. 

More than happy for him to break out against Washington though and get 3 TD's.

Well Kerley can get open quite a bit too and doesn't quite have the same chemistry issues with the team/QB. If this was last year I'd start Smith and focus on developing him but this season I think the best guy right now should play. I'd go with Kerley, for now, while giving Smith more and more reps as the season goes on. If he starts excelling them I'd start him - Basically leave it as an open competition between the two. Smith will develop even with some extended time at practice, he's missed so much. I think it's actually a pretty steep jump he's going through at the minute and I'm not sure it's the best thing for his confidence. 

Well, Kerley doesnt bring the same dimension to the game. Kerley can get open underneath but cant get open in the place where Devin Smith can get open. On top of that, we have other wideouts who can get open in the same places where Kerley can though they are better than Kerley at it. 

This isnt about putting in the "better player" because (and I will use your words again) Devin Smith is getting open. Its the quarterbacks job to deliver the football, not Smiths. If the Jets have a concern about getting more completed passes down field (something that Kerley isnt good/consistent at in terms of his skillset) then maybe Geno should be considered rather than Kerley being considered to replace a guy who's actually doing his job. Just sayin'. 

Yes, this is a chemistry issue and an experience issue for Devin Smith. So the best way out of that is more reps because you can see how talented Devin is.

a guy with Smith's speed should be open for big chunks underneath a lot.  Even with Fitz there, teams have to respect his speed.  If they play tight and he blows by someone  even Fitz can hit him

You would hope.  Remains to be seen though.  

So far, seems like Smith has some forcefield around him that blocks Fitz throws from getting within 2yds of him.

There are definitely some communication problems between Smith & Fitzpatrick.

Smith being the new addition to the offense, I would say this falls squarely on his shoulders.

Devin Smith needs to get up to speed and learn where he is supposed to be & quickly as he has been largely ineffective thus far.

It's one thing to be able get open - but if you are constantly out of position and not catching balls - it's a mute point.

Smith being the new addition to the offense, I would say this falls squarely on his shoulders.

Devin Smith needs to get up to speed and learn where he is supposed to be & quickly as he has been largely ineffective thus far.

It's one thing to be able get open - but if you are constantly out of position and not catching balls - it's a mute point.

Agreed, he won't get a long leash if the mistakes continue. But I think the mistakes are very correctable.

Other than his college highlights, and I don't see how talented Devin is.

Well he hasn't been on the field much because of the injury. That said in the little I have seen of him it is clear to me that he is the 3rd best wide receiver on this team.

Moot Allen

That's right.  He needs to stop and wait for those deep balls to catch up to him.

Or we can just show Fitzpatrick this, so he knows where to put a deep ball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vExMEi_QoI

That's right.  He needs to stop and wait for those deep balls to catch up to him.

Or we can just show Fitzpatrick this, so he knows where to put a deep ball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vExMEi_QoI

It's more than just deep balls dk, even on short & intermediate routes, Smith seems to be out of position more often than not.

But as Max said, it is correctible, hopefully he gets it squared away soon.

If this were last year we wouldn't have Marshal on the roster and you could have played him and Kerley both. D. Smith is going to develop just fine over time right now they should just swap the third receivers in and out and let them all get snaps. Having to many decent receivers is not a problem I mind having.

It's more than just deep balls dk, even on short & intermediate routes, Smith seems to be out of position more often than not.

But as Max said, it is correctible, hopefully he gets it squared away soon.

and you know this because you know the route that was called for a given play...interesting...

one thing I will say for smith is he gets his guy stacked.  it will come for him.  I am only being such a dick to him because I has such high hopes for him and the crushing reality set in that this kid is basically in mini-camp while everybody else is in real game modes, and he has miiiiiiiiiiiiiles to go

who knows, maybe he will fuel the big playoff push :cool:

He doesn't have miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiles to go.  He just needs a qb who can get him the ball; I don't know if you have been paying attention but he was plenty open last week against the Dolphins and should of had a TD against the Eagles if Fitz doesn't throw it 5 feet over his head in the endzone..   He has now had an extra week of practice with Fitz. Lets see if they can begin to develop a little more chemistry.  Please stop overreacting. 

He doesn't have miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiles to go.  He just needs a qb who can get him the ball; I don't know if you have been paying attention but he was plenty open last week against the Dolphins and should of had a TD against the Eagles if Fitz doesn't throw it 5 feet over his head in the endzone..   He has now had an extra week of practice with Fitz. Lets see if they can begin to develop a little more chemistry.  Please stop overreacting. 

this isn't a fitz thread.  smith is very raw.  if you can't handle my opinions, please ignore them

Wow, completely wrong. Fitz is  underthowing Smith on longer routes, and Devin is actually playing faster than Fitz can handle. He is not running a huge variety of routes but he is running good ones.

this isn't a fitz thread.  smith is very raw.  if you can't handle my opinions, please ignore them

Whatever, cry yourself a river; the guy is 2 games into his NFL career after missing all of preseason. Some of us get that; you obviously don't.  Keep whining about him.

Wow, completely wrong. Fitz is  underthowing Smith on longer routes, and Devin is actually playing faster than Fitz can handle. He is not running a huge variety of routes but he is running good ones.

Correct.  And Devin Smith isn't really raw.  Stephen Hill was raw.  Devin actually looks like a natural WR.

Also, Patullo says that Fitzpatrick is still trying to get used to Smith's play speed.  He says Smith looks like he's gliding out there and you don't realize just how fast he is.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Patullo-Fitzpatrick-on-Another-Level-Sometimes/b8ceaa9a-c572-4a56-8101-a7f2060e490e

Starts at about 1:05

Correct.  And Devin Smith isn't really raw.  Stephen Hill was raw.  Devin actually looks like a natural WR.

Also, Patullo says that Fitzpatrick is still trying to get used to Smith's play speed.  He says Smith looks like he's gliding out there and you don't realize just how fast he is.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Patullo-Fitzpatrick-on-Another-Level-Sometimes/b8ceaa9a-c572-4a56-8101-a7f2060e490e

Starts at about 1:05

This is what's happening...but Fitzmagic has his own agenda driven fan club...  He actually has his own fan driven chat boards if you look hard enough...where all 6 INTs are the WRs fault, every deep balls that sails 15 yard shorts is because the WR ran the wrong route...etc.  Dont let the facts get in the way of FitzMagic.  Our 29th rated QB can do no wrong to some.  

However, a level headed poster would just say its painfully obvious they arent on the same page...so lets give them time to see what's happening.  While "maybe" Smith could help Fitz out by breaking up some of those garbage balls, Fitz could help Smith's development by hitting him on those uncovered plays, clearly broken coverage, and Fitz throws those NFL lay-up crossing routes 3-5 yards behind him.  It goes both ways...or should if one would simply admit there's areas for growth on both sides, and arm strength isn't going to grow on Fitz, so chemistry is our only hope.

This is what's happening...but Fitzmagic has his own agenda driven fan club...  He actually has his own fan driven chat boards if you look hard enough...where all 6 INTs are the WRs fault, every deep balls that sails 15 yard shorts is because the WR ran the wrong route...etc.  Dont let the facts get in the way of FitzMagic.  Our 29th rated QB can do no wrong to some.  
However, a level headed poster would just say its painfully obvious they arent on the same page...so lets give them time to see what's happening.  While "maybe" Smith could help Fitz out by breaking up some of those garbage balls, Fitz could help Smith's development by hitting him on those uncovered plays, clearly broken coverage, and Fitz throws those NFL lay-up crossing routes 3-5 yards behind him.  It goes both ways...or should if one would simply admit there's areas for growth on both sides, and arm strength isn't going to grow on Fitz, so chemistry is our only hope.

You'll hear the crickets now.  The coach basically confirmed that Fitz's balls can't (or haven't kept up) with Devin's speed.  

But any fool with eyes could see that the lack of deep ball execution was on Fitz, not Devin.  

That doesn't mean that they both don't have things to work on when it comes to the intermediate stuff, but the deep ball issues are definitely on Fitz.

You'll hear the crickets now.  The coach basically confirmed that Fitz's balls can't (or haven't kept up) with Devin's speed.  

But any fool with eyes could see that the lack of deep ball execution was on Fitz, not Devin.  

That doesn't mean that they both don't have things to work on when it comes to the intermediate stuff, but the deep ball issues are definitely on Fitz.

Great post; again we come to the fact that the kid was playing his first NFL action after missing all of preseason so it is only natural that he might be a little off in terms of trying to break up under thrown balls or balls thrown AT the DB instead of placing it where only he had a legit shot at catching it, etc.  The fact that he was able to get open again and again (but had the ball either underthrown, thrown over his head or not thrown to at all), seems to be lost on some of these folks.  Fitz and Smith now have had several additional practices and hopefully will be on the same page going forward.  

Great post. 

Can't it be both?

Obviously Fitz has a weak arm and has underthrown Smith on some deep balls -- there has also clearly been miscommunication on some shorter routes that should have been completions that have nothing to do with Fitz's physical limitations.

I don't know why everything has to be black and white to everyone. I'll go ahead and say that I think Smith's skillset would be better utilized by Geno. That certainly doesn't mean Geno should be the QB.

Can't it be both?

Obviously Fitz has a weak arm and has underthrown Smith on some deep balls -- there has also clearly been miscommunication on some shorter routes that should have been completions that have nothing to do with Fitz's physical limitations.

I don't know why everything has to be black and white to everyone. I'll go ahead and say that I think Smith's skillset would be better utilized by Geno. That certainly doesn't mean Geno should be the QB.

well said!

plenty can be done better by both Smith & Fitz ... And hopefully will as they play more with each other.

Fitz best QB for this team cause he reads D's and can read progressions past his Primary WR, 2 things Geno cant do, BUT, I 100% agree that Fitz's arm cant keep up w/Devin's speed. No one said Fitz was Rodgers or Favre. You take the good w/bad. Geno may have stronger arm, but mentally he kills the Jets and Jets OLine.

Fitz best QB for this team cause he reads D's and can read progressions past his Primary WR, 2 things Geno cant do, BUT, I 100% agree that Fitz's arm cant keep up w/Devin's speed. No one said Fitz was Rodgers or Favre. You take the good w/bad. Geno may have stronger arm, but mentally he kills the Jets and Jets OLine.

I dont think anyone goal was to start a Geno vs Fitz debate on this thread.  However, Fitz is the 29th rated QB in the NFL and is tied with the 5th most interceptions in the NFL...he has more turnovers after 4 games than Geno had until his 6th game last year...so you're splitting hairs if you think we're getting that much better QB play than Geno has historically provided.  The truth is, he gets out of his own way and has a better head on his shoulders than Geno...but after 12 years in the NFL...he should be better in those areas.  But anyone who thinks our QB play is that much better than when Geno was QB is fooling themselves.  We have better offensive skill players, a better oline, and a better defense...and a calmer more experienced QB...that is still turning it over at an alarming rate (and Bowles agree and all week has been preaching for Fitz to stop turning the ball over).  Fitz remains our weakest player on the field every Sunday, plain as day.  It is getting to the point it is stunting the growth of one Devin Smith...but if we keep winning, and his 1.25 INTs/per game keeps our heads above water, im okay with our turnover prone QB...but we better keep winning...

I dont think anyone goal was to start a Geno vs Fitz debate on this thread.  However, Fitz is the 29th rated QB in the NFL and is tied with the 5th most interceptions in the NFL...he has more turnovers after 4 games than Geno had until his 6th game last year...so you're splitting hairs if you think we're getting that much better QB play than Geno has historically provided.  The truth is, he gets out of his own way and has a better head on his shoulders than Geno...but after 12 years in the NFL...he should be better in those areas.  But anyone who thinks our QB play is that much better than when Geno was QB is fooling themselves.  We have better offensive skill players, a better oline, and a better defense...and a calmer more experienced QB...that is still turning it over at an alarming rate (and Bowles agree and all week has been preaching for Fitz to stop turning the ball over).  Fitz remains our weakest player on the field every Sunday, plain as day.  It is getting to the point it is stunting the growth of one Devin Smith...but if we keep winning, and his 1.25 INTs/per game keeps our heads above water, im okay with our turnover prone QB...but we better keep winning...

Our QB play is much better by pure fact that defense gets more rest and we are not taking so many sack losses due to progression read ability..

There are many ways to 'rate' a QB, but main one is record. 3-1, when playoff in sights,,not some crap games at end of year when eliminated.

Our QB play is much better by pure fact that defense gets more rest and we are not taking so many sack losses due to progression read ability..

There are many ways to 'rate' a QB, but main one is record. 3-1, when playoff in sights,,not some crap games at end of year when eliminated.

There are other indicators, sir, and if you went just by record Shaun King would be an awesome QB and Terry Bradshaw and his 50% comp % would be the greatest QB all time.  If you dont think Fitz is benefiting from a better oline, Brandon marshall, a healthy chris ivory, and the #1 scoring D...vs playing with Hill, Nelson, and an injured Holmes as a rookie for Geno, and an injured Decker, Kerley, and Hell/Nelson again last year, well...I'd love to see how our #29 ranked QB would do without our D, run game, improved oline, and brandon marshall...wait...I saw that against the Eagles didnt I...and this was just minus Decker with marshall and a D that pitched a shutout in teh second half?  Looks like Fitz when faced with what Geno had played with the last two seasons, he played about the same level if not worse...but you can feel differently.  Im sure the great franchises Bills, Rams, Titans, and Texans cut Fitz because of his ability to execute in similar circumstances...

There are other indicators, sir, and if you went just by record Shaun King would be an awesome QB and Terry Bradshaw and his 50% comp % would be the greatest QB all time.  If you dont think Fitz is benefiting from a better oline, Brandon marshall, a healthy chris ivory, and the #1 scoring D...vs playing with Hill, Nelson, and an injured Holmes as a rookie for Geno, and an injured Decker, Kerley, and Hell/Nelson again last year, well...I'd love to see how our #29 ranked QB would do without our D, run game, improved oline, and brandon marshall...wait...I saw that against the Eagles didnt I...and this was just minus Decker with marshall and a D that pitched a shutout in teh second half?  Looks like Fitz when faced with what Geno had played with the last two seasons, he played about the same level if not worse...but you can feel differently.  Im sure the great franchises Bills, Rams, Titans, and Texans cut Fitz because of his ability to execute in similar circumstances...

3-1, much smarter, game managing  QB play. Doesnt scramble take a sack when Primary covered. Decker said on 2 of his TDs he was 3rd WR on toute tree, never saw taht wit hgeno, Sir ;) 

Agree to disagree. 

But again, if Geno plays, I root 100% for him and hope he becomes AllPro. I root for all Jets when playing. I just dont like him as a scheme reader and progression reader. My right to do so. Go JETS!!!!!!!!!!

This is a far bigger point than may be given respect for.  Bowles is playing Parcells football.  It's not only about going out there and scoring, it's about winning the field position battle.  Last year we were playing the majority of the games backed up on our side of the field, our opponents were regularly moving the ball on to our side where even if they punted we had terrible field position.  We've been winning that battle a lot more now and it shows in the box score. 

3-1, much smarter, game managing  QB play. Doesnt scramble take a sack when Primary covered. Decker said on 2 of his TDs he was 3rd WR on toute tree, never saw taht wit hgeno, Sir ;) 

Agree to disagree. 

But again, if Geno plays, I root 100% for him and hope he becomes AllPro. I root for all Jets when playing. I just dont like him as a scheme reader and progression reader. My right to do so. Go JETS!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Archived