Devin Smith

SoFlaJets

The fact that he was #2 in the NFL is enough to tell me he's at least a little bit good at it.  If another fan wants to dig deeper to find a specific scenario in which he wasn't good at it to say he wasn't good at it, that's cool too.

We all find our own way to enjoy sports.

My point was just because he's ranked 2nd doesn't prove he's a good deep passer.  He could have attempted only 10 passes of that distance, he could have completed them all against the worst passing D ( ie 6 td game). He could have thrown them all in the last minute of games while the D was playing prevent and giving up the middle of the field.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good thing is we'll find out soon enough.  Fitz will be successful utilizing Devin's deep threat ability, Gailey will purposely avoid those routes (which we'll be able to notice if that's the case), or Fitz will fail to hit Devin 40+ yards downfield when he has a step or two.

I hope he's successful at it, then we'd be set at QB for a couple years, but I really just don't know if he can make or be accurate on deep throws.  Not 20+ yards.  I'd call those intermediate.  I'm talking the types of throws seen in Devin's highlight video.

I hope he's successful at it, then we'd be set at QB for a couple years

Probably not.  He's 32.  I'm only a fan of Fitzpatrick this year because he's the best option on the roster, is protecting Petty from needing to take significant snaps before he's ready, and for keeping Geno off the field.  Next offseason we need to think bigger. 

Probably not.  He's 32.  I'm only a fan of Fitzpatrick this year because he's the best option on the roster, is protecting Petty from needing to take significant snaps before he's ready, and for keeping Geno off the field.  Next offseason we need to think bigger. 

Given the rules in today's NFL, 32 isn't that old.  They baby these guys nowadays.  So IF (bif if) Fitz is capable enough to not even see what Geno can do with an actual offense, no reason to figure Fitz is one-and-done.  Then if Petty gets to a point of battling Fitz for the starting gig, even better.  

The difference is pretty simple.

Fitzpatrick can fire the ball in the area of 20-40 yards right to a receiver's hands.

GeNONONO can fire the ball in the area if 20-60 yards right into a defender's hands for a pick or pick six

Over the past two years Fitz has 20 ints in 21 starts for a rate of .95/gm

Geno has 34 in 29 starts for a rate of 1.17/gm

Its not like one guy turns the ball over and the other doesn't, this is a misconception fueled by the hate for Geno.

As long as the Jets win with Fitz at QB i'm ok, if he starts throwing games away like he's done elsewhere then I'm behind Geno taking the helm again. 

Its not like one guy turns the ball over and the other doesn't, this is a misconception fueled by the hate for Geno.

As long as the Jets win with Fitz at QB i'm ok, if he starts throwing games away like he's done elsewhere then I'm behind Geno taking the helm again. 

It's not just the interceptions. Fitz has had pretty good numbers this year but there's no denying he's had some bad years with interceptions. Fitz doesn't make the kind of bonehead mistakes Geno makes and commands leadership better than Geno. For Geno to come back Fitz has to show play worse than Geno. That's a tall order.

1.17 vs .95.  Not that big a difference especially considering Geno's best WR option was Kerley, whom I do like, but can't even get on the field this year.  Decker was around a bit last year but how often was he 100%?

Again if Fitz proves to be good (not just good enough to not lose games) then ya can't make a change. But at this point I'm not convinced he is "good" yet.  That thread on here breaking down his throws Monday night shows he's not this brilliant field general yet.  If that continues along with an inability to deliver the long ball, I think we have to see what Geno can do with a competent offense.  Can always go back to Fitz if needed.  That's the role of a backup.  Which is what he was brought here to be.

1.17 vs .95.  Not that big a difference especially considering Geno's best WR option was Kerley, whom I do like, but can't even get on the field this year.  Decker was around a bit last year but how often was he 100%?

Again if Fitz proves to be good (not just good enough to not lose games) then ya can't make a change. But at this point I'm not convinced he is "good" yet.  That thread on here breaking down his throws Monday night shows he's not this brilliant field general yet.  If that continues along with an inability to deliver the long ball, I think we have to see what Geno can do with a competent offense.  Can always go back to Fitz if needed.  That's the role of a backup.  Which is what he was brought here to be.

What has Geno done to earn the position? At his best he has been below average NFL QB. It's not like he has leadership qualities, protects the ball, or won. The o-line is basically the same, the running game is basically the same. I get that Marshall is special but this is not a completely different WR core than last year Decker is still here so is Kerley.  The problem is between Geno's ears. That is also why he lost the job this training camp. A guy who gets into a fight over what to him is pennies against a teammate does not understand what it takes to be a leader.

If you look at some of the game film win4ever compiled, you'd see Fitz threw a couple of 25 yarders that were pretty accurate. I'd say that qualifies, no?

Would you agree his biggest mistake last week was his deep ball to Marshall?  I wouldnt say any of his deep balls last week was special.  He did make a nice 27 yard throw to Enunwa.  But his Matt Forte isn't the long ball. 

What has Geno done to earn the position? At his best he has been below average NFL QB. It's not like he has leadership qualities, protects the ball, or won. The o-line is basically the same, the running game is basically the same. I get that Marshall is special but this is not a completely different WR core than last year Decker is still here so is Kerley.  The problem is between Geno's ears. That is also why he lost the job this training camp. A guy who gets into a fight over what to him is pennies against a teammate does not understand what it takes to be a leader.

One major aspect your overlooking, the coaching staff. Last years staff with Rex basically just didn't want the O to turn the ball over so Rex's vaunted D could win the game. Even though its only two games the mindset under Bowles appears to be much different. We don't know what Geno could do with a approach where we actually have a vested interest on O.  I contend any QB including Fitzy would have looked subpar in the 2013 and 2014 incarnations of the Jets offense. I know the popular thought process here was that the O faltered because Geno was stupid and a sh*tty QB - I still believe the O faltered because Rex was a sh*tty HC (how about that wildcat and all that). 

What has Geno done to earn the position?

He was drafted high in the 2nd round.  Usually that would mean allowing a guy to start at some point with an NFL offense.  That has yet to happen.

I didn't want to draft Geno and thought there was no way in hell he should've started at all his first year.  Starting Petty now would be better than starting Geno two years ago.  At least now Petty would have an offense to work with.

Really can't wait for it to happen so I can stop defending a guy I didn't want to draft in the first place.  I'm not saying he will be great.  All I have to go on is camp reports from early this year and seeing him play well last season when Decker was healthy.  Sink or swim, we gotta give him a chance at some point.

Would you agree his biggest mistake last week was his deep ball to Marshall?  I wouldnt say any of his deep balls last week was special.  He did make a nice 27 yard throw to Enunwa.  But his Matt Forte isn't the long ball. 

not really. Marshall got his hands on it which more times than not equals a catch. It was tight coverage, but having BM gives you the luxury of taking some risk. I think he missed some opportunities early that would have separated us by score and could have kept our defense off the field longer.

It's not just the interceptions. Fitz has had pretty good numbers this year but there's no denying he's had some bad years with interceptions. Fitz doesn't make the kind of bonehead mistakes Geno makes and commands leadership better than Geno. For Geno to come back Fitz has to show play worse than Geno. That's a tall order.

Fitz used to make mistakes at least as bad as Geno did.  Geno has had a rookie season filled with TOs and a 2nd season where he improved.  We're comparing a 11 year QB to a rookie like QB.  Geno was improving, would have liked to see what he could do in year 3 with a full camp and preseason.

Kevin Dyson over Randy Moss in 1998 was also the safer pick

Oh no you di'n't.  Moss is a future HOF-er and one of the greatest college prospects of all-time.  DGB might well be the second coming of Justin Hunter.   DGB is an inch taller and likes smoking pot at least as much as Moss.  But the similarities end there (see below). 

I wouldn't lose much sleep with Smith over DGB.  Smith has a lot of talent and at least he can play ST too.   DGB hasn't shown anything yet besides the "he could be a star if he puts it all together" mantra we have heard about hundreds of unsuccessful NFL players over the years. 

College Stats

DGB's college line (2 seasons): 87-1,278-17

Moss's college line (2 seasons): 174-3,529-54

Measurables

40-time: DGB 4.49; Moss 4.15;

Vertical: DGB: 33.5 inches; Moss 47 inches. 

NFL Stats (after 2 games)

DGB: 1-13-1

Moss: 10-184-2

Chicks Thrown Down Stairs

DGB: 1

Moss: 0

Marijuana Intake:

DGB:  Frequently

Moss: Regularly

Fitz used to make mistakes at least as bad as Geno did.  Geno has had a rookie season filled with TOs and a 2nd season where he improved.  We're comparing a 11 year QB to a rookie like QB.  Geno was improving, would have liked to see what he could do in year 3 with a full camp and preseason.

That's not my argument...but people above said Fitz was one of the best deep ball throwers in the NFL, as if Big Ben, Matt Ryan, Rodgers, Luck, Wilson, and Rivers arent in this league...and I'm not even saying they're all the elite of the elite.  But if I am being asked if the Jets need a big time down field pass made to win the super bowl, and any QB in the NFL can be on the Jets that season, the first 10 names that come to mind wont be Fitzpatrick.

He's been a money game manager so far, but if you take the green glasses off he's got us 20 points on 10 turnovers, so let's not pretend we got a "true" top 15 QB in the league here.  But I am super excited he does what he does at a elite game manager level right now.  Im not complaining with what he's doing.  We're seeing a Trent Dilfer 2000 performance minus his deep ball to Ismail threat; however, who isn't excited to see what Devin Smith brings to Gaily's game plan?  Maybe Smith and Fitz open things up and also opens things up for Marshall.  We're looking good and Im not complaining, but Im not pretending we have Big Ben at QB either...I know what we got.  

That's not my argument...but people above said Fitz was one of the best deep ball throwers in the NFL, as if Big Ben, Matt Ryan, Rodgers, Luck, Wilson, and Rivers arent in this league...and I'm not even saying they're all the elite of the elite.  But if I am being asked if the Jets need a big time down field pass made to win the super bowl, and any QB in the NFL can be on the Jets that season, the first 10 names that come to mind wont be Fitzpatrick.

He's been a money game manager so far, but if you take the green glasses off he's got us 20 points on 10 turnovers, so let's not pretend we got a "true" top 15 QB in the league here.  But I am super excited he does what he does at a elite game manager level right now.  Im not complaining with what he's doing.  We're seeing a Trent Dilfer 2000 performance minus his deep ball to Ismail threat; however, who isn't excited to see what Devin Smith brings to Gaily's game plan?  Maybe Smith and Fitz open things up and also opens things up for Marshall.  We're looking good and Im not complaining, but Im not pretending we have Big Ben at QB either...I know what we got.  

ok, then we agree.  He's been ok, playing unspectacular, fairly clean, fairly mistake free football.  Which really is all we need givent the D and running game.  I don't agree that it's Dilfer like, I think we forget how little he did for the 2000 Ravens.....Not a chance Fitz throws for less than 2000 yds.  

Given the rules in today's NFL, 32 isn't that old.  They baby these guys nowadays.  So IF (bif if) Fitz is capable enough to not even see what Geno can do with an actual offense, no reason to figure Fitz is one-and-done.  Then if Petty gets to a point of battling Fitz for the starting gig, even better.  

There's a couple issues with this.  First, I believe we will and should be drafting a QB high this offseason unless Petty blows the coaching staff away.  That would make Fitz a pretty expensive backup ($3.3M this year, and a successful year might make his value go up).  Also, his injury history worries me enough where we can't depend on him to stay healthy.  I'd love to have him back but I just don't want the Jets thinking we're "set" at QB if he has a solid season.

There's a couple issues with this.  First, I believe we will and should be drafting a QB high this offseason unless Petty blows the coaching staff away.  That would make Fitz a pretty expensive backup ($3.3M this year, and a successful year might make his value go up).  Also, his injury history worries me enough where we can't depend on him to stay healthy.  I'd love to have him back but I just don't want the Jets thinking we're "set" at QB if he has a solid season.

If I had to guess, there's like a 75%+ chance that the starting QB for 2016 is already on the roster.  You could make an argument for any of the 3.

Besides, since whoever is the starter in 2016 is unlikely to have a big contract, spending $3mil+ on a backup isn't the worst thing.  In fact it's pretty smart.  If Fitz has proved nothing else, it's that he's capable of running things for a few weeks whenever needed.

If I had to guess, there's like a 75%+ chance that the starting QB for 2016 is already on the roster.  You could make an argument for any of the 3.

Besides, since whoever is the starter in 2016 is unlikely to have a big contract, spending $3mil+ on a backup isn't the worst thing.  In fact it's pretty smart.  If Fitz has proved nothing else, it's that he's capable of running things for a few weeks whenever needed.

You could also make an argument AGAINST any of the 3.  We don't know what we have in Petty (a 4th round pick), and what we know about Geno and Fitz suggests neither is a franchise QB.  I'd be highly disappointed if we stick with what we have at QB in 2016.  

You could also make an argument AGAINST any of the 3.  We don't know what we have in Petty (a 4th round pick), and what we know about Geno and Fitz suggests neither is a franchise QB.  I'd be highly disappointed if we stick with what we have at QB in 2016.  

I think it's way too early to be saying we need to add a qb.

1. Who knows with Fitz?  Maybe this is the best situation he's ever been in and will exceed all expectations.  At bare minimum he's a very good backup.

2. If Fitz doesn't take that next step, I expect to see Geno.  And I'm excited to see what he does with an actual offense.

3. Petty did look pretty good this preseason.  I think draft reports said he has all the tools, just needs time to learn.  This isn't a bad option either.

Now I don't follow college ball, but from what I've heard 2016 isn't a great year for QBs anyway.  I'd rather see the first couple picks go to Oline or offensive weapons to help the QBs already here.  Mangold, Brick and Marshall won't be around forever.  Otherwise any young QB, regardless of how good, won't succeed.

why choose to downgrade?

if in the dark you thought you were banging Kate Upton but turned on the lights and realized it was Renee Zelweiger would you kick her out in order to do Rosie O'Donnell from behind???

Archived