Jordan Matthews: Will he be covered by Revis or Skrine?

Jetsfan80

Jordan Matthews is pretty clearly Philly's top receiving option right now (though I suppose you could make a case for Zach Ertz).  At 5-10 he operates out of the "Big Slot" for the Eagles.  Given his unique situation (top receiving option operating out of the slot), how do you guys think we'll handle him?  Will he get placed on Revis Island, will he be covered primarily by Skrine, or will we "mix and match" based on gameflow?  After all, rookie Nelson Agholor is definitely a threat to break out at some point this season, much like Donte Moncrief did in a small way for Indy last week.

Jordan Matthews is pretty clearly Philly's top receiving option right now (though I suppose you could make a case for Zach Ertz).  At 5-10 he operates out of the "Big Slot" for the Eagles.  Given his unique situation (top receiving option operating out of the slot), how do you guys think we'll handle him?  Will he get placed on Revis Island, will he be covered primarily by Skrine, or will we "mix and match" based on gameflow?  After all, rookie Nelson Agholor is definitely a threat to break out at some point this season, much like Donte Moncrief did in a small way for Indy last week.

Matthews is 6'3", not 5'10"  5'10" would hardly constitute a "big" slot. I think they will probably mix and match, but I would expect a steady diet of Revis.  I'm sure that Skrine will see Ertz some, but I'm not sure why you'd want to match a fidget up with a 6'5 275 lb TE.   Why not Cro?  I'd rather see Skrine on Agholor and Cro on Ertz.  Considering the pacing and Chip Kelly, I wonder if we will see some unusual personnel groupings this week.  Maybe Jarrett at LB, etc.

Matthes

Matthews is 6'3", not 5'10"  5'10" would hardly constitute a "big" slot. I think they will probably mix and match, but I would expect a steady diet of Revis.  I'm sure that Skrine will see Ertz some, but I'm not sure why you'd want to match a fidget up with a 6'5 275 lb TE.   Why not Cro?  I'd rather see Skrine on Agholor and Cro on Ertz.  Considering the pacing and Chip Kelly, I wonder if we will see some unusual personnel groupings this week.  Maybe Jarrett at LB, etc.

Got his height wrong, not sure where the 5-10 comes from.  However, "big slot" is an actual position in Chip's offense.

Cro just doesn't sound great matched up with Ertz.  Cro is not physical enough to handle him.  We once saw "midget" Jim Leonhard handle Antonio Gates fairly well in ther 2009 playoffs (he caught 8 of 11 targets that game but didn't find the end zone; Gates was a beast that year so yes, that qualified as "handling" him), so Skrine and a combination of other guys can get the job done.

Will it matter when our DLine is bickering over whether Bradford tastes better baked or fried?

I personally don't think Revis gets assigned to any one receiver this week.  Maybe I'm wrong, but Philly does not really have that 1 WR that scares you above the rest

Matthews is solid. 2nd year guy on his way to being a top 15-20 WR. I'd be concerned about him over the rookie they start and Riley Cooper. Think they have Miles Austin as well.

I think Revis lines up against Matthews, and Bowles schemes to stop Ertz and Sproles.

Archived