Kristian Dyer on Fitz thus far

AFJF

http://www.metro.us/sports/jets-notebook-fitzpatrick-appears-to-be-driving-the-porsche/zsJoiw---SeEG3T0k8bU/

It appears that Ryan Fitzpatrick has done enough in two starts to gain the confidence of the New York Jets, with head coach Todd Bowles admitting on Tuesday that even if Geno Smith was available it would be the bearded one who would still get the start. 

Off to a 2-0 start, the Jets have ridden a strong defense and an offense that can best be described as tidy and efficient to their winning ways. Fitzpatrick has proven to be a good fit in offensive coordinator Chan Gailey's scheme, something not surprising given his previous relationship with the Jets assistant. That Smith is unable to start yet as he continues to recover from jaw surgery is one thing, but even if he was ready to start it is clear that the incumbent quarterback has lost his place with the team. 

At least for now.  

"I thought he did a good job managing the ball game. Obviously, he threw a pick in the red zone, down there, and that’s something we don’t want, but he did a good job. He had command of the offense, understood what they were trying to do to him and we stuck to the run and didn’t air out all over the place which kept their offense off the field as well. I thought he did a good job," head coach Todd Bowles said on Tuesday in a conference call. 

RELATED: Dyer on Jets - Team's biggest opponents this week are themselves

"Ryan is our starting quarterback right now. We’re doing well, we have good chemistry going and everything else and Geno understands that and as we go, Ryan is our quarterback. We’ll go forward from there." 

Later when asked if Fitzpatrick would hypothetically be the starter were Smith healthy, Bowles said "Yes, Ryan is the starter."  

JETS NOTES 

--> Injured in the second half of the Monday night win over the Indianapolis Colts, the wide receiver's knee is being called by Bowles as a "day-to-day" injury. He was uncertain of his star's status for this Sunday. 

"I don’t know, I’ll have to see how he’s doing later in the week. If he’s not moving well obviously he’s not going to play," Bowles said. "Time will tell. We have a little bit of time, so I’m hopeful, but it’s not out of the realm that he won’t play either." 

--> Injured in training camp, Devin Smith's ribs might be adequately healed to let him make his NFL debut.  

"I’m hopeful he will be," Bowles said. "He still has some things that he has to do so, we’ll see how the week progresses." 

Smith was inactive for Monday night's win.  He did not play at all in preseason. 

Was listening to a Bruce Ariens interview on XM last night. Basically he went through the difficulty in his own teams players coming off injury and getting their play time back. Ariens runs a demanding camp and practice making it difficult for a player to come off injury and play at the same speed as guys who have been healthy. In Ariens system even backups get reps during practice so everyone on the team is in top physical condition and the timing is there even with the back ups. If Bowles runs the same type of practice and camp, I can see why he favors guys that have been out there over guys coming off injury,

Fitz knows how to run the team. Anyone that watches these games and does not see a night, and day difference in the way the offense conducts itself is not paying attention.

We may have gone into a shell, and he may have missed on a couple of deep throws, but there has been no confusion, very few penalties. What there has been is a sense of purpose, and confidence. When we need points we seem to be able to march right down the field and get them.

It's too bad he doesn't have the arm talent to put a team on his back, but this team is good enough to win if the QB just takes what the defense gives him, and plays smart situational football.

I think Fitz is the perfect caretaker, and mentor for Petty, or the next prospect until he's ready to take over.

Archived