Jets should be Super Bowl contenders

Freemanm

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah but the thing is, Fitz/Geno don't have to beat them. All they had to do is not turn the ball over and manage the game. I'm telling you, if the Jets can muster 14 to 17 points, they're probably going to win the game. 

And yes,the Jets starters played like crap during the preseason games. All, I'm saying is that they have a defense that I really haven't seen since the 2000 Ravens. They have a real opportunity this season. 

I know we're all used to being cynical, but we have reason to believe this season.

I think people are really under estimating the potential of this offense.  Remember the QB is new, his top receiver is new, new offensive system, breaking in very talented by inexperienced players like Owusu and Enunwa.  Missing their 2nd round pick deep threat wide out....  Yet we have still shown glimpses of what we can do both on the ground and through the air.   By game 7, barring no serious injuries, the Jets Offense will be very dangerous.  I mean can you imagine how much better Marshall will be with Smith and Owusu consistently spreading the field?  Decker, playing in the slot could get him 80-90 catches.... Ivory, Powell and Stacy will be beasting for sure.  (The key is the health and consistency of our offensive line.  The good news is we have a very good veteran group.)

Combine that with a defense that should be getting back both Richardson and Milner, continued development of Williams, Mauldin and Reilly..... Wilkerson playing for his contract, I mean, how can you not get excited by this teams potential?    I know it is early but I believe that by week 8 or 9 everyone will know that this team is for real.  

If anyone thinks Fitzpatrick is going to beat the likes of Brady, Ben, Flacco, or Manning in a playoff game your in for a rude awakening.  Sadly the Jets have every single piece of the puzzle except the starting QB.

Why didn't you mention Luck?

A week ago you would have. 

I recall Sanchez hitting Edwards in stride for a 80 yard TD in 09 AFCCG, and Holmes in stride for a 50 yard TD pass in 10 AFCCG, and a couple other nice passes in the PLAYOFFS.  Yes in the regular season for the most part he stunk, but what he was able to do in those 6 playoff games Fitz would never be able to do, he will never be able to go toe to toe with Rivers, Manning, Brady.  Sanchez walked that walk.

The key to beating those QB's or any great QB is to NOT go toe to toe with them. The key is running the ball down their throats keeping them off the field and shutting them down with an elite secondary. Last time I looked we are fully capable of doing all those things and we now have a good QB to boot. So what seems to be the problem with talking about the Jets being in contention ?

They've only played 2 games!!!!!!

FYI, my understanding is that lithium is very helpful for extreme mood swings...

I don't get why I'm being persecuted for being excited about the Jets? last time I checked, this site was called jetnation.com. I'm excited and am gonna stay excited. None of you buzz killers can get me down!

The key to beating those QB's or any great QB is to NOT go toe to toe with them. The key is running the ball down their throats keeping them off the field and shutting them down with an elite secondary. Last time I looked we are fully capable of doing all those things and we now have a good QB to boot. So what seems to be the problem with talking about the Jets being in contention?

Fitzpatrick  

I don't get why I'm being persecuted for being excited about the Jets? last time I checked, this site was called jetnation.com. I'm excited and am gonna stay excited. None of you buzz killers can get me down!

super bowl or bust is just a strong statement. I believe most at least believe in play offs or bust.

We are just a suffering fan base that has endured too much pain to start talking Super Bowl after 2 games.  But please do not let anyone kill your joy.  We have endured pain but we are also very passionate about our gang green squad.  This is Jet Nation so be free to express your joy! 

I recall Sanchez hitting Edwards in stride for a 80 yard TD in 09 AFCCG, and Holmes in stride for a 50 yard TD pass in 10 AFCCG, and a couple other nice passes in the PLAYOFFS.  Yes in the regular season for the most part he stunk, but what he was able to do in those 6 playoff games Fitz would never be able to do, he will never be able to go toe to toe with Rivers, Manning, Brady.  Sanchez walked that walk.

Yeah certainly not with that 98 yard TD pass Fitzpatrick had with buffalo.

You have reason to be excited as anything can happen in this game.  It has been several generations since this team has made a Super Bowl so naturally folks are apprehensive when that is brought up, especially after just 2 games.   From top to bottom, this could wind up being our best team since '98.  Maybe better.  

You have reason to be excited as anything can happen in this game.  It has been several generations since this team has made a Super Bowl so naturally folks are apprehensive when that is brought up, especially after just 2 games.   From top to bottom, this could wind up being our best team since '98.  Maybe better.  

Bring in Vinny T from 98, and I'd lead the charge, but with Fitz this team is limited.

Bring in Vinny T from 98, and I'd lead the charge, but with Fitz this team is limited.

Vinnie T was a turnover machine before he came to the Jets, now Jet fans see him as Sammie Baugh or somebody. He had a good but not great season and didn't do anything in the playoffs against the Broncos.  Lets see what Fitz can do with this offense as he gets more comfortable.   

Here's a clue if you want to be accepted.. Always look for ways on how the Jets can lose even to the worst team in the league and for extra bonus points use Rex sucks as your signature.. Oh and get a Chicken Little the sky is falling jersey and you will be one of the in crowd..:)

how ever limited fitz may be, 4 td's - 2int., 60% plus completion rate, and a 95 qb rating is getting the job done. any which way you want to slice it. add in a side of a dominate defense and you have a recipe for success.

Two things the Jets have had going for them thru two weeks are unsustainable. First is the defense continuing to take the ball away five times a game - while once a game turning a sure opponents' TD into a turnover. Second is the 6.9% of the time Fitzpatrick throws a TD when he drops back to pass (for reference, Tom Brady has had only two seasons in which he's thrown TDs at that rate or better). 

Also, I suspect that the Colts might suck. 

But it's been fun so far, and there's plenty of reason for optimism. Very happy with the coaching, and getting guys like Sheldon and Devin Smith back should be a huge boost, too. 

Two things the Jets have had going for them thru two weeks are unsustainable. First is the defense continuing to take the ball away five times a game - while once a game turning a sure opponents' TD into a turnover. Second is the 6.9% of the time Fitzpatrick throws a TD when he drops back to pass (for reference, Tom Brady has had only two seasons in which he's thrown TDs at that rate or better). 

Also, I suspect that the Colts might suck. 

But it's been fun so far, and there's plenty of reason for optimism. Very happy with the coaching, and getting guys like Sheldon and Devin Smith back should be a huge boost, too. 

your probably right. if those 2 things WERE sustainable, the jets would go undefeated. and I don't think anybody is saying that. the way the jets played their 2 games, even if  that level of play is unsustainable, doesn't lead me to believe 10 wins and a playoff birth is out of the realm. and would go as far to say, a probability. barring injuries, of course. and anything can happen in the playoffs

Archived