Joe Namath

JohnnyLV

NFLN replayed the SBIII game today. Namath would be amazing in today's NFL. Amazingly strong arm, Aaron Rodgers like release, great accuracy. With the coverage rules today he would just be dominant. 

When will we have a true franchise QB again? Starting to think not in my lifetime.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The HBO (ESPN?) Documentary on him was fantastic.  

He was almost damaged goods when he came to the NFL.  With todays advanced treatment, he would have lasted longer.

Most experts gave him 3 or 4 years at best to survive in 1965 when QB's weren't protected.. Imagine him playing now with 2 healthy legs before he was hurt in college..Wowzer..

NFLN replayed the SBIII game today. Namath would be amazing in today's NFL. Amazingly strong arm, Aaron Rodgers like release, great accuracy. With the coverage rules today he would just be dominant. 

When will we have a true franchise QB again? Starting to think not in my lifetime.

Physically, he had it all as far as arm and release.  And today, they would have cleaned up his knee properly.

But today, would he have put in the effort, the study involved?  It's funny, the one year they won the SB, he acted as a game manager, not throwing a TD in 4 games.  But would have been willing to cut down on the risks for the long term, or would he have become more of a Jay Cutler, force it in at all costs. 

Different times, different game.  But he threw one of the nicest passes ever.

Physically, he had it all as far as arm and release.  And today, they would have cleaned up his knee properly.

But today, would he have put in the effort, the study involved?  It's funny, the one year they won the SB, he acted as a game manager, not throwing a TD in 4 games.  But would have been willing to cut down on the risks for the long term, or would he have become more of a Jay Cutler, force it in at all costs. 

Different times, different game.  But he threw one of the nicest passes ever.

I thought about that.  On the HBO documentary,  a cop interviewed, talked about how he left the Sheraton on 7th and 51st, hungover, smelling of liquor,  for the AFC Champ game against the Raiders.

Lets not ruin a fantasy .............

I don't care what anyone says. He was the greatest QB I ever saw. (13 completions for 497 yards!). Marino was a very close second. If he had both legs, he would have been God.

One other thing he would have to cut down on the partying John Schmitt once said; After asking him what city they were in he was giving guys a contact high in the huddle breathing on them.. Joe didn't exactly take good care of himself in the crazy 60's and 70's..

Who else while watching this saw penalties galore that would have been called had this game been played today? Also, I have been looking up Jets QB stats and saw all of the lousy numbers that Joe Namath had put up , even during that championship season and then after watching this game remembered how back then, 50% was what 60% is now. How receivers were mauled, how QBs were getting killed back there. Had Joe played in say the next era forward, the Richard Todd Kenny O'B era his numbers would have been drastically better.

Who else while watching this saw penalties galore that would have been called had this game been played today? Also, I have been looking up Jets QB stats and saw all of the lousy numbers that Joe Namath had put up , even during that championship season and then after watching this game remembered how back then, 50% was what 60% is now. How receivers were mauled, how QBs were getting killed back there. Had Joe played in say the next era forward, the Richard Todd Kenny O'B era his numbers would have been drastically better.

When the  14-2  Giants won in 1986 Simms had 21 tds and 22 picks and a 55% completion rate..

+100.  This is why it drives me nuts when I read a column from some 30 year old sports writer looking at a stats book saying that Namath is overrated....

+100.  This is why it drives me nuts when I read a column from some 30 year old sports writer looking at a stats book saying that Namath is overrated....

Absolutely.  Heck, on the SNY post-game show this past Sunday, Chad Cascadden was complaining about Ryan Quigley's punting average.  Meanwhile he left like 2-3 punts inside the 10.  Football analysts are just the absolute worst.  The dumbest of the dumb.

He seemed to have a knack for making a play when it counted.  I never thought of him as great..just pretty darn good with a great D, great game day coach and pretty good offense.

Wining the Bowl with Hoss as QB pretty much agree's  with that.. Tuna probably did the best of his era wining big games without HOF QB's..

Unless you are dying in the next 5 years I think Macc will find us one.

Joe Namath had it all. He could read and pick apart defenses. He had pin point accuracy when he needed to. Always threw spirals with velocity. And of course that amazingly strong and quick release. He also had two amazing WRs who were totally in sync with him. He had complete command of his team and was a tremendous leader. Aside from his charm, he also had huge cojones given how hard  Qbs used to get hit. Namath was god back then. Namath would be god today and in any era that he played. He was that good at his peak

The most amazing game I remember watching was the duel between him and Unitas where they threw for nearly 900 yards in one game.... From the Vault - Namath vs Unitas
http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/From-the-Vault---Namath-vs-Unitas/8db0a3b2-0911-43d4-9adc-5d6fe0f57da4

Today in Pro Football History: 1972: Namath & Unitas Engage in Epic Passing Duel as Jets Beat Colts
http://fs64sports.blogspot.com/2010/09/1972-namath-unitas-combine-for-822.html

Joe Namath: Modernizing His Statistics - Gang Green Nation
http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/6/29/4477160/joe-namath-modernizing-his-statistics

Forget about the Superbowl, watch the AFCCG vs the Raiders & that will tell you everything you need to know about Joe Namath. There were points in that game where he took off running on those horrific knees & he gets pummeled & rolled over on the sideline, (plays that in this day & age there would be yellow flags raining down). No one in this era should ever be compared to the men that stood in the pocket in the old days! 

F*ck Tom Brady! Of course he looks great with no one able to touch him, Olineman being able to HOLD as long as do it PROPERLY. Wide receivers running around untouched and you can lead them over the middle because you can't hit a defenseless receiver! Oh, don't forget THROWING IT AWAY as long as your outside the tackle box!

Its a DIFFERENT game that QBs of Namaths ilk played. When people criticize Namath I always put them in their place. One of my favorite lines about Namath came from Al Davis when he went to see Namath throw at Alabama. Davis said, "That's the 1st time I've seen a QB tilt the field, it was like he was throwing down hill". BAM!

Well there's a rose in a fisted glove
And the eagle flies with the dove
And if you can't be with the one you love, honey
Love the one you're with

At least we have one who can actually play now after suffering through the last two dismal turnover machines

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Its a DIFFERENT game that QBs of Namaths ilk played. When people criticize Namath I always put them in their place. One of my favorite lines about Namath came from Al Davis when he went to see Namath throw at Alabama. Davis said, "That's the 1st time I've seen a QB tilt the field, it was like he was throwing down hill". BAM!

Great line by Al Davis.  In the HBO documentary, they  talk of the sound the ball made when it left his hand "ffffit"... the fact is, you had to see Namath play to appreciate him; the flick of the wrist, the beautiful spirals, the mustard he can put on a ball as he was getting hit, the long drop back (his legs could only move backwards, not to the sides nor forward) and not just look at stats. And it was brutal in those days to play qb in NFL. Remember when Namath was hurt  in an exhibition game against the Lions, and when they announced a few minutes later he will be out for the year, I was crying like a baby - the season was over before it began.

Forget about the Superbowl, watch the AFCCG vs the Raiders & that will tell you everything you need to know about Joe Namath. There were points in that game where he took off running on those horrific knees & he gets pummeled & rolled over on the sideline, (plays that in this day & age there would be yellow flags raining down). No one in this era should ever be compared to the men that stood in the pocket in the old days! 

F*ck Tom Brady! Of course he looks great with no one able to touch him, Olineman being able to HOLD as long as do it PROPERLY. Wide receivers running around untouched and you can lead them over the middle because you can't hit a defenseless receiver! Oh, don't forget THROWING IT AWAY as long as your outside the tackle box!

Brady could have NEVER played during that era, not with the way he whines. Could you imagine BenDavidson throwing a forearm at that pretty boy's jaw? 265 Lb LBers routinely threw themselves on the QB after EVERY throw that they could get close enough to. The out of bounds hits? You kidding me? Brady would be pointing and screaming. Just watch ANY one whole game from the mid to late 60's up until say 76' and start making the calls as if you were an official from today. There would be ejections countless 15 yard unnec. roughness penalties and pass interference calls galore.

I don't care what anyone says. He was the greatest QB I ever saw. (13 completions for 497 yards!). Marino was a very close second. If he had both legs, he would have been God.

most physically gifted? we can discuss that but as far as greatest ever? he's not in the discussion b/c of the injuries that robbed him of his ability. 

Brady could have NEVER played during that era, not with the way he whines. Could you imagine BenDavidson throwing a forearm at that pretty boy's jaw? 265 Lb LBers routinely threw themselves on the QB after EVERY throw that they could get close enough to. The out of bounds hits? You kidding me? Brady would be pointing and screaming. Just watch ANY one whole game from the mid to late 60's up until say 76' and start making the calls as if you were an official from today. There would be ejections countless 15 yard unnec. roughness penalties and pass interference calls galore.

Brady plays against MUCH bigger, stronger, faster players today.  if they were doing the now illegal moves they would kill people on the field.

Archived