NY Jets Are In NFL Power Rankings Top 10.

Villain The Foe

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

Does an 0-2 start mean your season is doomed? Not necessarily, but it certainly doesn't help your stock here.

Things are particularly bleak in the NFC.

The Eagles, Giants and Seahawks are among six NFC teams at 0-2. ESPN's Power Panel dropped Philadelphia, No. 9 two weeks ago, to No. 22, while the Giants slid to No. 26. The Seahawks fell from No. 3 to No. 7 after losing a tough game in Green Bay.

The Colts and Ravens, popular Super Bowl picks before the season, also are part of the 0-2 contingent. Indianapolis tumbled seven spots to No. 18 after a dreadful performance against the Jets on Monday Night Football. After a surprising loss in Oakland, Baltimore suffered a five-spot descent to No. 17.

On an unrelated note, if you're wondering whether our experts believe in Brandon Weeden, the answer appears to be no. Despite being 2-0, the Cowboys dropped to No. 12 in the wake ofTony Romo's injury.

Note: The comments below are provided by ESPN Stats & Information.

• Vegas Rankings Insider | Football Power Index Rankings | Why Bears bottomed out | Team Power Rankings charts since 2002

Based on points against, which is the best indicator of a team's defensive quality, the Jets are #1 right now by a good margin. Offense is middling, which I believe is due to a conservative plan that prioritizes avoidance of turnovers. Gailey is taking his time on opening up the passing game. I think the Jets will improve in this category, particularly when they get Marshall, Decker and Smith on the field at the same time. The Jets are certainly a better than average team.

Wow there are a lot of bad teams out there...

not sure why Pitt is ranked so high, maybe there offense?

and we should be ahead of buffAlo

Otherwise it's about damn time!

exactly what I was going to post.  Not sure how they look like turds vs Pats then win a home game vs the 9ers and get put in the SB conversation.  Seems silly.  Does anyone think they're better than Seattle?  Not so sure.

Based on points against, which is the best indicator of a team's defensive quality, the Jets are #1 right now by a good margin. Offense is middling, which I believe is due to a conservative plan that prioritizes avoidance of turnovers. Gailey is taking his time on opening up the passing game. I think the Jets will improve in this category, particularly when they get Marshall, Decker and Smith on the field at the same time. The Jets are certainly a better than average team.

i wonder whether gailey will ever "open up the passing game". bowles is defensive minded and wants complimentary football, which means ball control and ToP on offense. that's why against a depleted Indy secondary the jets continued to run the ball.

i wonder whether gailey will ever "open up the passing game". bowles is defensive minded and wants complimentary football, which means ball control and ToP on offense. that's why against a depleted Indy secondary the jets continued to run the ball.

Agreed. I think it's also that they are giving Fitz plenty of time to find his zone and avoid interceptions. He's not fully up to speed yet, IMHO. And he's had a couple of very questionable deep balls that he threw into traffic.

No idea why the bills continue to be ranked so highly unless the NFL thinks it will make buffalo's meltdown in the season more amusing. They did play well against the colts but hey so did we. They played terribly against NE and a couple garbage time TDs do not justify treating that game like it was a near win. Maybe it shows the team has the potential to pull a win in a tough spot (but probably not) but it's dumb to give a ranking based upon potential over performance.

No idea why the bills continue to be ranked so highly unless the NFL thinks it will make buffalo's meltdown in the season more amusing. They did play well against the colts but hey so did we. They played terribly against NE and a couple garbage time TDs do not justify treating that game like it was a near win. Maybe it shows the team has the potential to pull a win in a tough spot (but probably not) but it's dumb to give a ranking based upon potential over performance.

Bills get their asses handed to them by the Patriots, move up one spot. Makes perfect sense.

Right, that's going by standings (who would do that?).  I was replying to a question of if these rankings were official.  If they were (and superseded records) we'd miss the playoffs.

Oh, then my bad. I thought you meant how the playoffs are actually designed. For all that, the Seahawks would be the 3rd best team in the NFC with an 0-2 record lol. 

Agreed. I think it's also that they are giving Fitz plenty of time to find his zone and avoid interceptions. He's not fully up to speed yet, IMHO. And he's had a couple of very questionable deep balls that he threw into traffic.

Yeah I agree that Fitz should keep away from going long into double coverage.  In general I like his deep ball throws.  He's been going long with them so it's either our speedy WR makes the play or they go incomplete.   I thought Owusu was suppose to be a speedster.  Maybe D. Smith will be able to get underneath a few of those.    

I am not sure that we are a top 10 team yet; at least I don't think we have proved we are a top ten team yet.  We get more out of our offense than maybe.  Way better than I thought we would be this early and with Fitz; happily surprised.

If we beat the 'wounded animal' like we should and Miami, then we can talk about top 10 (maybe); either way, I don't particularly care who is above us or below us as it doesn't effect our game (hopefully).

Archived