We Have Finally Replaced Keyshawn Johnson

SoFlaJets

It has only taken us since the 2000 season but Brandon Marshall according to Ryan Fitzpatrick on Jets Open Mic "Always wants me to throw him the ball". Sort of reminds one of a certain book title doesn't it?

I thought we had done it when Braylon Edwards was signed but mysteriously the Rex Ryan/Mike Tannenbaum led Jets never saw the importance of having a dominant player who COULD deliver, instead opting for troublemakers who helped in destroying what was once an almost-there team. Here are some of the players who were brought in to try and make up for the chasm that KJ's departure left; (noting that we already had Chrebet, Coles, and Dedric Ward here)

2000-Vincent Brisby, Dwight Stone, Windrell Hayes (draftee)

2001-Mathew Hatchette, Kevin Swayne, Craig Yeast

2002-Santana Moss (non-factor in his rookie year due to injury)

2003- Curtis Conway, Jonathan Carter, Kevin Lockett

2004-Justin McCairens, Jerricho Cotchery

2005- Lav. Coles (brought back) Doug Jolley (hybrid crappy TE/WR/FB)<----ultimate failure

2006-Brad Smith, Wallace Wright

2007-nothing new

2008-Chansi Stuckey,

2009-Braylon Edwards, David Clowney,

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Key was good but overrated IMO.  Almost always had to catch the ball in the EZ or he wasn't gonna' score.  Not very fast, not very strong, but had great hands and could pluck the ball out of a crowd with the best of 'em.

It is amazing how big of a difference Marshall has made to the perception of the offense

and it's performance.  Think about it, in the first two games Marshall has faced Joe Haden &

Vontae Davis and beaten up both of them.  In previous years facing those type of corners

would've shutdown our passing game

brandon marshall has been really special so far. that strip fumble recovery after the interception against the browns in week one and then dragging three colts defenders into the endzone with him. absolutely fun to watch play. he will make fitzpatrick and decker better as well.

Key was good but overrated IMO.  Almost always had to catch the ball in the EZ or he wasn't gonna' score.  Not very fast, not very strong, but had great hands and could pluck the ball out of a crowd with the best of 'em.

Key was underrated by Jet fans especially those that thought Chrebet was anywhere near as good(or better) as Key. 

Key was underrated by Jet fans especially those that thought Chrebet was anywhere near as good(or better) as Key. 

He was above average, but not anywhere near as good as you'd want from a number one overall pick, and a million miles from being anywhere near as good as he thinks he was.

He was above average, but not anywhere near as good as you'd want from a number one overall pick, and a million miles from being anywhere near as good as he thinks he was.

he was a top WR for many years and we never really found a player than could replicate what Key could do until Braylon 10 years later.

KJ was the first pick in the 1996 draft Wayne was a UDFA in 1995 of course he didn't have the physical talent of KJ but when it came to heart and being a tough player IMO he was better.. If people hate Rex because of his mouth how can you like KJ who bad mouthed his own teammate?? 

he was a top WR for many years and we never really found a player than could replicate what Key could do until Braylon 10 years later.

He could catch the ball, but could never break a tackle or make somebody miss and score.  He had to be standing in the EZ when he already caught the ball to score the overwhelming majority of the time.  Just goes to show how bad our WR's have been through the years that we haven't been able to replace our most above average receiver in recent(ish) memory.

He did have a big catch and run against the Pats once but that was on Tom Tupa's first pass after Vinny went out and the Jets went play-action when they expected Tupa to just hand off and the DB took the bait.

KJ was the first pick in the 1996 draft Wayne was a UDFA in 1995 of course he didn't have the physical talent of KJ but when it came to heart and being a tough player IMO he was better.. If people hate Rex because of his mouth how can you like KJ who bad mouthed his own teammate?? 

Key had heart, just b/c he talked doesn't mean he didn't.  Key and Wayne complimented each other perfectly on the field but key as far and away our best WR

Marshall and Decker have the potential to be just as good as Keyshawn and Chrebet as a duo, maybe even better.  And that excites me.

They should absolutely be better...they're both just much better players.  Marshall can make plays after the catch and Decker is a much bigger/physical receiver than Chrebet was.  If Decker is a go, I expect both to top 100 yards this week.

He could catch the ball, but could never break a tackle or make somebody miss and score.  He had to be standing in the EZ when he already caught the ball to score the overwhelming majority of the time.  Just goes to show how bad our WR's have been through the years that we haven't been able to replace our most above average receiver in recent(ish) memory.

He did have a big catch and run against the Pats once but that was on Tom Tupa's first pass after Vinny went out and the Jets went play-action when they expected Tupa to just hand off and the DB took the bait.

that's not true, he did that many times. he was a huge target in the RZ and caught a lot of fades but to say he never broke tackles or made people miss isn't fair.

I recall that Tupa play and he made Tupa and Ray Lucas look like NFL QBs.  he was great in 1999 when Vinny went down.

that's not true, he did that many times. he was a huge target in the RZ and caught a lot of fades but to say he never broke tackles or made people miss isn't fair.

I recall that Tupa play and he made Tupa and Ray Lucas look like NFL QBs.  he was great in 1999 when Vinny went down.

I'd say 1,100 yds and 8 touchdowns falls short of "great", but to each his own.

Hey 3.5 ypc and 8 td's was considered great in 1998, so if a fan loves a certain player any stat the player does will be great.. I always wondered if Cotchery was great like many Jet fans said what was Jerry Rice??

when Tom Tupa, Rick Mirer and ray Lucas are your QBs that is beyond great.

One guy was drafted number one; the other was undrafted. Hard not to root for the little guy. 

that's fine but the little guy wasn't anywhere near as good as the big guy.

Hey 3.5 ypc and 8 td's was considered great in 1998, so if a fan loves a certain player any stat the player does will be great.. I always wondered if Cotchery was great like many Jet fans said what was Jerry Rice??

Curtis was playing hurt in 1998, it was one of his worst seasons w/ us but he was still vital to our success.

Key in '99 had Rick Mirer, Ray Lucas and Tom Tupa throwing him passes.  he was GREAT in 1999, #s never tell the whole story.

Curtis was playing hurt in 1998, it was one of his worst seasons w/ us but he was still vital to our success.

Key in '99 had Rick Mirer, Ray Lucas and Tom Tupa throwing him passes.  he was GREAT in 1999, #s never tell the whole story.

Always a excuse for the compiler..What was the injury I don't remember that?? Since he was under 4 ypc for 3 of his first 6 years in the league I assume he was hurt for 3 of them..LOL BTW I thought KJ was a excellent player but he was no Al Toon..

Always a excuse for the compiler..What was the injury I don't remember that?? Since he was under 4 ypc for 3 of his first 6 years in the league I assume he was hurt for 3 of them..LOL BTW I thought KJ was a excellent player but he was no Al Toon..

I believe he was playing w/ a quad injury, he only had 2 full seasons where he was less than 4 YPC for us.

I loved Al Toon, Key was on a Toon level.

I believe he was playing w/ a quad injury, he only had 2 full seasons where he was less than 4 YPC for us.

I loved Al Toon, Key was on a Toon level.

Toon and Marshall were Al Pro KJ wasn't.. As far as the compiler and his quad in 1998, like I say always a excuse.. My favorite is the Bronco's were so scared of that 3.5 ypc terror they had all 11 players in the box to stop him.. Meanwhile Terrell Davis who had over 2,000 yds and over 5 ypc was no concern at all for the Tuna or BB.. Tell me when Adrian Murrell outrushed Cumar in 1996 with less carries was Martin playing with 2 broken legs ?? :)

Toon and Marshall were Al Pro KJ wasn't.. As far as the compiler and his quad in 1998, like I say always a excuse.. My favorite is the Bronco's were so scared of that 3.5 ypc terror they had all 11 players in the box to stop him.. Meanwhile Terrell Davis who had over 2,000 yds and over 5 ypc was no concern at all for the Tuna or BB.. Tell me when Adrian Murrell outrushed Cumar in 1996 with less carries was Martin playing with 2 broken legs ?? :)

I won't bash Toon to pump up Key but Key was every bit as good as Toon.

did you see any holes in that 1998 title game for Curtis? it was like DeMarco Murray last week for Dallas.

Murrell wasn't half the player Curtis was and I liked Adrian.  Huge difference running in blowout losses rather than when your team is counting on you to help lead them to wins.  Curtis carried Drew Bledsoe to a SB in 1996 so who cares about the #s?

Murrell wasn't half the player Curtis was and I liked Adrian.  Huge difference running in blowout losses rather than when your team is counting on you to help lead them to wins.  Curtis carried Drew Bledsoe to a SB in 1996 so who cares about the #s?

What?  So a RB shouldn't be expected to produce when his team needs him to?  We were counting on Curtis Martin that game and he responded with a 13 carry, 14 yard day, with a lost fumble.  On the other side, John Elway had an awful game, but Terrell Davis carried them to a comeback victory, with 167 yards on 32 carries.  Clearly Terrell handled the pressure of the moment just fine.

Bad games happen, even to the greats.  But that was a horrendous game, easily Curtis's biggest blemish.  And it helped cost us a Super Bowl appearance.  Hence why people have a case when they argue Curtis was overrated by Jets fans.  He was a great guy, did a lot of things well, and maybe even deserved the Hall of Fame.  But he cost us when it mattered most.  Sucks.

We had a 10-0 lead in the second half of that Broncos game; it was never a blowout until the end.  We were counting on Curtis Martin that game and he responded with a 13 carry, 14 yard day, with a lost fumble.  On the other side, John Elway had an awful game, but Terrell Davis carried them to a comeback victory, with 167 yards on 32 carries.

Bad games happen, even to the greats.  But that was a horrendous game, easily Curtis's biggest blemish.  And it helped cost us a Super Bowl appearance.

watch that game and show me where he was supposed to gain yardage? we were dominated up front, he could barely get back to the LOS,

TD was a GREAT player w/ a GREAT OL and blocking scheme.

what cost us a SB app was 6 TOs and the K missing a chip shot FG.  Curtis was part of that b/c he had a fumble but Byars fumble, van Dyke's, Meggett not being able to catch a KO, etc...  Curtis was not the reason we lost.

watch that game and show me where he was supposed to gain yardage? we were dominated up front, he could barely get back to the LOS,

Truly great RB's don't always need great offensive line play to produce.  We had a stellar defense that year, but Terrell Davis ran for 5.2 ypc.  Curtis for 1.0 ypc.  Just awful.

Truly great RB's don't always need great offensive line play to produce.  We had a stellar defense that year, but Terrell Davis ran for 5.2 ypc.  Curtis for 1.0 ypc.  Just awful.

our stellar D was not good against jax where Curtis and the O carried us then got shredded in the 2nd half of the title game after we went up 10-0.

It has only taken us since the 2000 season but Brandon Marshall according to Ryan Fitzpatrick on Jets Open Mic "Always wants me to throw him the ball". Sort of reminds one of a certain book title doesn't it?

I thought we had done it when Braylon Edwards was signed but mysteriously the Rex Ryan/Mike Tannenbaum led Jets never saw the importance of having a dominant player who COULD deliver, instead opting for troublemakers who helped in destroying what was once an almost-there team. Here are some of the players who were brought in to try and make up for the chasm that KJ's departure left; (noting that we already had Chrebet, Coles, and Dedric Ward here)

2000-Vincent Brisby, Dwight Stone, Windrell Hayes (draftee)

2001-Mathew Hatchette, Kevin Swayne, Craig Yeast

2002-Santana Moss (non-factor in his rookie year due to injury)

2003- Curtis Conway, Jonathan Carter, Kevin Lockett

2004-Justin McCairens, Jerricho Cotchery

2005- Lav. Coles (brought back) Doug Jolley (hybrid crappy TE/WR/FB)<----ultimate failure

2006-Brad Smith, Wallace Wright

2007-nothing new

2008-Chansi Stuckey,

2009-Braylon Edwards, David Clowney,

Even alluding that Wallace Wright isn't a playmaker is a bannable offense. Tread very lightly here.  :)

Archived