We've got a trapped animal this weekend

rick34125

Lane Johnson says it’s a “must win” for Eagles this weekend

Philadelphia Eagles v New York Giants 

Eagles right tackle Lane Johnson said his team “pissed on our leg” in last Sunday’s loss to the Cowboys, an assessment that would be hard to argue with if you saw the team’s offense flop against the Dallas defense.

If the team were to wet itself against the Jets again this weekend, they’d be 0-3 and even playing in a weak division wouldn’t offer much comfort when it comes to their chances of recovering from that start to make the playoffs. That left Johnson to make a pretty clear assessment of what the team has to do on Sunday.

“It’s must win this week,” Johnson said, via NJ.com. “You can’t really hang your head down low and feel sorry for yourself. If you do that it’ll be a lot longer season than you want it to be. As far as this team is concerned, we’ve gotta get a win over a good Jets team. We’ve got a lot of work to do.”

The concept of must win games in September can be a bit overblown, but it doesn’t really feel that way for the Eagles. On top of the long playoff odds faced by teams that start 0-3, there’s a sense that the negativity around the team will snowball if they don’t show signs of being a competitive team.

If the Eagles are going to follow through, they’ll need a much better outing from Johnson and his mates up front. The Jets defense has overwhelmed the Browns and Colts in the first two weeks and another performance on those lines could make last week’s offensive outing look like the good old days for Philadelphia.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/24/lane-johnson-says-its-a-must-win-for-eagles-this-weekend/

This is really the only reason to caution optimism because you can never underestimate a trapped animal.

Lane Johnson says it’s a “must win” for Eagles this weekend

Philadelphia Eagles v New York Giants 

Eagles right tackle Lane Johnson said his team “pissed on our leg” in last Sunday’s loss to the Cowboys, an assessment that would be hard to argue with if you saw the team’s offense flop against the Dallas defense.

If the team were to wet itself against the Jets again this weekend, they’d be 0-3 and even playing in a weak division wouldn’t offer much comfort when it comes to their chances of recovering from that start to make the playoffs. That left Johnson to make a pretty clear assessment of what the team has to do on Sunday.

“It’s must win this week,” Johnson said, via NJ.com. “You can’t really hang your head down low and feel sorry for yourself. If you do that it’ll be a lot longer season than you want it to be. As far as this team is concerned, we’ve gotta get a win over a good Jets team. We’ve got a lot of work to do.”

The concept of must win games in September can be a bit overblown, but it doesn’t really feel that way for the Eagles. On top of the long playoff odds faced by teams that start 0-3, there’s a sense that the negativity around the team will snowball if they don’t show signs of being a competitive team.

If the Eagles are going to follow through, they’ll need a much better outing from Johnson and his mates up front. The Jets defense has overwhelmed the Browns and Colts in the first two weeks and another performance on those lines could make last week’s offensive outing look like the good old days for Philadelphia.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/24/lane-johnson-says-its-a-must-win-for-eagles-this-weekend/

This is really the only reason to caution optimism because you can never underestimate a trapped animal.

I'd rather be the team that isn't "must win." Chalk this up in the meaningless comment category, along with the one about how the Jets have never beaten the Eagles since 1947or whatever. All this tells me is that there is sweaty desperation in the Eagles' locker room and that usually is not a good thing. That's the set up for guys blaming each other when things go wrong, taking risks to make big plays, and over-indulging emotions. Jets need to be cool, calm, intense, focused, and take care of business. Please.

I'd rather be the team that isn't "must win." Chalk this up in the meaningless comment category, along with the one about how the Jets have never beaten the Eagles since 1947or whatever. All this tells me is that there is sweaty desperation in the Eagles' locker room and that usually is not a good thing. That's the set up for guys blaming each other when things go wrong, taking risks to make big plays, and over-indulging emotions. Jets need to be cool, calm, intense, focused, and take care of business. Please.

todd-bowles-mmqb-650-392.jpg

For his career, Sam Bradford has completed 28.3 percent of his passes when under pressure, the worst in the NFL among qualified QBs in that span (league average is 41 percent). Meanwhile, the Jets have put opposing QBs under pressure 29 percent of the time since the start of last season, third most in the league.

Yep.  They're gripping to hard on the bat.   Focusing too hard on "a must win" instead of just getting their sh*t together.  Sometimes when you play that tight, you play worse.  

And the bold = Todd Bowles!!!!

In 2013, the Giants were 0-2.  They had a 'must-win' game.  The lost the next four.

Last year the Raiders were 0-2.  They had a 'must-win' game.  They lost the next eight.

Sometimes teams are just putrid.  The Eagles are already dead-team walking.  Desperation isn't going to make them better.  Only complacency on the Jets' part will give them a puncher's chance.  I'm hopeful, from what I've seen, that this team won't do that.

In 2013, the Giants were 0-2.  They had a 'must-win' game.  The lost the next four.

Last year the Raiders were 0-2.  They had a 'must-win' game.  They lost the next eight.

Sometimes teams are just putrid.  The Eagles are already dead-team walking.  Desperation isn't going to make them better.  Only complacency on the Jets' part will give them a puncher's chance.  I'm hopeful, from what I've seen, that this team won't do that.

Bingo.  Bad teams tend to stay bad.  And while the Eagles have some pieces to be able to turn this ship around (and conceivably could go 7-9 or 8-8 and win that awful division), just like you said, that doesn't mean it will suddenly happen in Week 3 because they're desperate.

I never get the fear over a team being desperate this week thing.  This is the NFL, every game means so much, who isn't playing 100%?.  Why would the Jets not be in the same "we have to win every game" mode as any other team.

Plus we just had a whole week of "The Colts are going to be like a trapped animal this weekend" leading into Indy.  Indy was going to be fired up after losing in Buffalo.  Had to be ready for win at all costs Indy.  When you're better and play to that level, you win. 

The Jets are preparing to play the Eagles...they would prepare the same if the Eagles were 2-0 or 0-2...if the Eagles want to do something different because they're desperate, let them.  The Jets need to stick to the script that got them where they are and not pay attention to this noise...I am sure Bowles would agree.

Bingo.  Bad teams tend to stay bad.  And while the Eagles have some pieces to be able to turn this ship around (and conceivably could go 7-9 or 8-8 and win that awful division), just like you said, that doesn't mean it will suddenly happen in Week 3 because they're desperate.

It still is a difficult situation for the Jets. If they let the Eagles jump to a lead in this game it will deflate the crowd and pump up the Eagles fast paced attack. I'd be much more worried if Rex was our HC , but its imperative the Jets control the game early on.

For his career, Sam Bradford has completed 28.3 percent of his passes when under pressure, the worst in the NFL among qualified QBs in that span (league average is 41 percent). Meanwhile, the Jets have put opposing QBs under pressure 29 percent of the time since the start of last season, third most in the league.

I read Love and Hate too, okay.

Except for Playoff elimination, I never understood painting a game as must win (especially this early in the season).  The media, well, they say stuff to sell.  But, when a player or coach says it, not sure of the value.  If it is a 'must win' and you loose, does that mean you don't have to work hard for the rest of the season?  If you say every game is a must win, it looses its meaning, if you are the type of team that needs to have a label on it to get them to perform, does it even matter if you win it?  Also, if you believe it and the game goes south for a bit, don't you just spiral down?  So, if it is a must win, and they blow some huge play in the 1st Q, does the team quit?

As for being on the other side; the only reason to discuss that the Eagles are trapped is to avoid a trap game and play down to the level of the opponent.  I don't think Bowles plays that game (clearly Ryan did).  As fans, there isn't much we can do about the players motivation.  But, for me the interesting thing is can we put away a team that is struggling, but has talent especially if that team thinks it is a must win?  I doubt the Jets are SB contenders this year, but beating the Eagles IMO is important to show that we really are a top 15 team.  Nobody would question whether a top tier team would beat the Eagles, if the jets want to be considered a top tier team - they have to consistently beat the bottom tier (or struggling) teams.

Except for Playoff elimination, I never understood painting a game as must win (especially this early in the season).  The media, well, they say stuff to sell.  But, when a player or coach says it, not sure of the value.  If it is a 'must win' and you loose, does that mean you don't have to work hard for the rest of the season?  If you say every game is a must win, it looses its meaning, if you are the type of team that needs to have a label on it to get them to perform, does it even matter if you win it?  Also, if you believe it and the game goes south for a bit, don't you just spiral down?  So, if it is a must win, and they blow some huge play in the 1st Q, does the team quit?

As for being on the other side; the only reason to discuss that the Eagles are trapped is to avoid a trap game and play down to the level of the opponent.  I don't think Bowles plays that game (clearly Ryan did).  As fans, there isn't much we can do about the players motivation.  But, for me the interesting thing is can we put away a team that is struggling, but has talent especially if that team thinks it is a must win?  I doubt the Jets are SB contenders this year, but beating the Eagles IMO is important to show that we really are a top 15 team.  Nobody would question whether a top tier team would beat the Eagles, if the jets want to be considered a top tier team - they have to consistently beat the bottom tier (or struggling) teams.

I consider 'must win' games being those that if you lose, you are pretty much statistically out of making the playoffs. If no team has EVER started a season 0-3 and made the playoffs, I would consider that a must win game. Obviously there are firsts for everything but when you are going up against 50 years of data, it's a pretty foregone conclusion. 

I consider 'must win' games being those that if you lose, you are pretty much statistically out of making the playoffs. If no team has EVER started a season 0-3 and made the playoffs, I would consider that a must win game. Obviously there are firsts for everything but when you are going up against 50 years of data, it's a pretty foregone conclusion. 

I get that, but they play in the NFC East, they could probably go 0-4 and still take the division :-).  My problem is when a player comes out and says it, and they loose (and I hope they loose), what do you do with the rest of the season?

Unfortunately, for the Jets, winning doesn't prove much, but loosing does.  At this point, we can only determine how bad or inconsistent the team is, but we really won't know how good the team is until we play the Pats.  At this point, Miami looks like a mess, but their home game won't be hot and humid (or as much) as they are playing in the UK.  The Pats are the first really good team we play.

The good news is that if we are a very good team, we should easily win 10-12 games.  Just being good gets us to 8-9; Unless some of the weaker teams turn things around, that is.  This schedule is looking even easier than we thought.

The Jets are preparing to play the Eagles...they would prepare the same if the Eagles were 2-0 or 0-2...if the Eagles want to do something different because they're desperate, let them.  The Jets need to stick to the script that got them where they are and not pay attention to this noise...I am sure Bowles would agree.

'where they are'?

they won 2 games. They are 2 losses from being .500! So many fans acting like we've already arrived. This sort of over-reacting is what made you all love Rex to the point it took 6 years, 3 oc's, 2 gm's to get rid of him.

How about we just hope Boeles and company can get another win? Keep it s little more humble and hopeful? nothing is accomplished or established yet...

I get that, but they play in the NFC East, they could probably go 0-4 and still take the division :-).  My problem is when a player comes out and says it, and they loose (and I hope they loose), what do you do with the rest of the season?

Unfortunately, for the Jets, winning doesn't prove much, but loosing does.  At this point, we can only determine how bad or inconsistent the team is, but we really won't know how good the team is until we play the Pats.  At this point, Miami looks like a mess, but their home game won't be hot and humid (or as much) as they are playing in the UK.  The Pats are the first really good team we play.

The good news is that if we are a very good team, we should easily win 10-12 games.  Just being good gets us to 8-9; Unless some of the weaker teams turn things around, that is.  This schedule is looking even easier than we thought.

there are no easy games

2 ******* wins and the lot of you sound like pats fans assuming we'll win 10-12 games, and not winning by enough points...

We're still the Jets. My prediction is 10 wins, I am a fan of Fitz, but this team has limitations... So I'm not pretending for s second that we could bottom out and be a 4 win team.

just be greatful for each win as it comes. 

The Iggles OL is awful. Murray cannot do anything, and they might be worse pass blocking. Beat the crap out them early, get a comfortable lead, bleed them white all 2nd half. Good news is we have a coach who knows as much. 

This Jet team hasn't proven nearly enough to start thinking we have an easy win over anyone.  

Yes, the Eagles looked bad the past two weeks, but this is a team that's one 10 games the past two seasons.  They're not just going to lie down and call it quits.  The Jets will have to play at a high level if they're going to win.

Chip's gonna pull out all the stops for this one (I live in the Philly area - Eagle fans and sports radio are calling for blood) Just be careful here...

Archived