Mauldin back, talking about his injury and might play vs. Eagles!

JetFreak89

http://www.newyorkjets.com/videos/videos/Mauldin-Back-to-Myself/442c6513-7cee-440a-bfed-02f5b64fcde8

Figured I'd do a quick recap for those who can't watch at work: 

• He feels back to his old self, very happy to be back in the locker room. He came back just before the Colts game and was happy with the W, called it a 'statement game".
  • He doesn't remember anything other than chasing down Manziel. He doesn't remember causing the fumble. 
  • Wasn't really sure what caused the injury other than taking a hit to his jaw. He hasn't watched the play, wants to move on from it. 
  • Said he had a migraine prior to the play, it was starting to fade but not sure if that played a role (thought that was interesting, maybe he was concussed before that snap?)
  • Has done some light physical activity the last few days, hoping to play vs. the Eagles but not sure what the coaches will decide (I would guess not given he hasn't had a full week of full activity). 

Love that he wants to get back in and play, hope the coaches sit him a week or two and let him fully recover to avoid further injury.

He's had a hard rise to this spot and doesn't want to lose it. He is of the old breed and would more than likely play as soon as the clouds clearer were it not for the NFL concussion protocol.  It seems to me that this entire draft class has that old school, hard working, tough yet respectful vibe about them. Well at least the first three Rd's and our fifth rd pick BRANDON F*CKING MARSHALL That is!  

I hope this kid sits the week and comes back for the fins in London. 

I'm really excited about Mauldin and I really want the team to have an OLB presence, which feels like we haven't in a long time, but his injury history scares me. 

Didn't he have concussion issues before we drafted him? I really hope his career isn't cut short. He's a likable kid at a need position. 

He's had a hard rise to this spot and doesn't want to lose it. He is of the old breed and would more than likely play as soon as the clouds clearer were it not for the NFL concussion protocol.  It seems to me that this entire draft class has that old school, hard working, tough yet respectful vibe about them. Well at least the first three Rd's and our fifth rd pick BRANDON F*CKING MARSHALL That is!  

I hope this kid sits the week and comes back for the fins in London. 

What's your Beef with Marshall, first two games best Wide out I've seen here for like ever. All that for a 5th..

What's your Beef with Marshall, first two games best Wide out I've seen here for like ever. All that for a 5th..

I think you may need to re read my statement. I was stating that the first three rds of our draft AND our fifth rd pick are all hard working players and that I liked it. 

So to answer your question I would have to say that my beef with Marshall does not exist. 

We have some solid LB'ers on our practice squad. I would love to see Mauldin play Sunday, but I'd prefer to see him play for us for years. Activate Lattimore and Deion Barnes. 

Lattimore has been active and played in both games.  Who do you want to cut to bring up Barnes from the practice squad?  I think they need WR first and Walt Powell would be my first move if I made one. 

Lattimore has been active and played in both games.  Who do you want to cut to bring up Barnes from the practice squad?  I think they need WR first and Walt Powell would be my first move if I made one. 

I didnt realize he was active. Now that you say it I do believe he had a solid tackle on special teams in one of those games. 

I also didnt know that you had to cut a player in order to bring a guy up to the 53. I thought that if a guy was injured and inactive you could replace him without the need for cutting. I learn something every day. Thats a good question. Since Lattimore is active then Walter Powell would be a good option. I would probably cut our FB. We tried to convert a 4th down with him and he couldnt convert, meanwhile Bilal Powell has been quite nice towards the end of games and we're using our TE's more in run blocking then we are our FB. So if I had to make a decision I would go that direction. 

I'd like to see Walter and Devin active this weekend. 

I didnt realize he was active. Now that you say it I do believe he had a solid tackle He ais

on special teams in one of those games. 

I also didnt know that you had to cut a player in order to bring a guy up to the 53. I thought that if a guy was injured and inactive you could replace him without the need for cutting. I learn something every day. Thats a good question. Since Lattimore is active then Walter Powell would be a good option. I would probably cut our FB. We tried to convert a 4th down with him and he couldnt convert, meanwhile Bilal Powell has been quite nice towards the end of games and we're using our TE's more in run blocking then we are our FB. So if I had to make a decision I would go that direction. 

I'd like to see Walter and Devin active this weekend. 

You don't need to cut a guy to go from inactive to active.  You need to cut somebody to bring a player up from the practice squad.  There are 53 players on the roster.  46 are "active" for game day.  It used to be 45 + a 3rd QB, with use restrictions.  They are not going to cut Bohannon.  They are only carrying two TEs and he is probably the 3rd TE and #2 H back.  Bohannon has played over 30% of the offensive snaps and over 50% of special teams snaps.  I would guess the first choice would be to dump an offensive lineman.  Ijalana and Harrison have not been active and Dozier has been active and played like one snap - though he is apparently the backup center.  They are holding Deion SImon and Jarvis Harrison on roster just so they won't be poached.  They also could risk Owusu who they cut in September because he is hurt and I'm not sure anybody will take a risk on him when he is 3 weeks from playing. 

You don't need to cut a guy to go from inactive to active.  You need to cut somebody to bring a player up from the practice squad.  There are 53 players on the roster.  46 are "active" for game day.  It used to be 45 + a 3rd QB, with use restrictions.  They are not going to cut Bohannon.  They are only carrying two TEs and he is probably the 3rd TE and

Then who do you think we cut to make room for Powell if we activate him to the 53? 

Then who do you think we cut to make room for Powell if we activate him to the 53? 

Check out the above.  My post got sent half written.  With the update, sometimes I lose my post, but it is still there if I click submit.  I hate change.  Another potential is Ronald Martin.  He is a safety they picked up on waivers from the Seahawks.  I have not seen him play D, but he has apparently played 40% of the special teams snaps.  Last man in is usually the first man out, but they must like this kid to have him active. He was a priority FA out of LSU.  Sort of a LB/S tweener.  Wears Bruce Harper's number.  I guess it was Marcus Coleman's number too.

For all the people calling for Deon Barnes, I think it is 50-50 that they next man up would be Mike Catapano.  Catapano was a better prospect, with more experience, but I do agree he is more of a Pace/Coples replacement than Mauldin/Reilly.  Bigger more DE/LB tweener.   Chiefs started him at OLB then moved him to DE.  He had an injury, concussion and some weird virus that caused him to miss last season. Strange thing is that when Andy Reid cut him, he said that Catapano was better suited to a team than ran the 4-3 (presumably at DE)  As far as I can tell, the Chiefs scheme run by Bob Sutton was pretty similar to what Rex ran.

Archived