" the Jets’ other free agent cornerback is wreaking havoc on offenses " ~ ~ ~

kelly

If you want someone to start gushing in the Jets organization, mention Buster Skrine.

The nickel cornerback has become one of the most popular players in the locker room and offices in Jets headquarters thanks to his work ethic and the way he plays.“Oh, I love Buster, man,” wide receiver Brandon Marshall. “He’s a stud. I love practicing against him, that’s the main thing. He makes everyone around him better. He only knows one speed. He’s what you call a football player, There’s wide receivers, there’s cornerbacks, there’s quarterbacks, then there’s football players, guys you can just put on the football field and they’re going to make the play, and that’s him.”

The 5-foot-9, 185-pound Skrine does not look intimidating without pads on with his blond dreadlocks and small frame (for an NFL locker room). But watch him play and you’ll see an aggressive playmaker who is all over the field. Against the Colts on Monday night, Skrine led the team with eight tackles, had a tackle for loss and caused Andrew Luck to throw an interception to Calvin Pryor when he blitzed off the edge.“Pound for pound, he’s the strongest guy on the team,” defensive coordinator Kacy Rodgers said. “He works hard. When Buster’s in the game, we don’t really worry about him. From our standpoint, this guy is a starter in every aspect. There’s nothing we don’t mind asking him to do. He works hard. He’s tough. He’s professional. We love the guy.”The Jets signed Skrine to a four-year, $25 million contract with $13 million guaranteed minutes after free agency opened in March. The contract turned heads because Skrine was not a well-known name with fans from his four years with the Browns. The website Pro Football Focus called it one of the worst signings of free agency.

Skrine has now emerged from the obscurity of Cleveland.

“I think the NFL knew about me,” Skrine said. “But in Cleveland, we weren’t a big-market team. Monday night was my first Monday night game. I always had the stats to back it up, but I just wanted the highest mark of a player. Coming here, that helps with that, too, but I’m just glad we have such a talented team.”Skrine was the first cornerback to sign with the Jets, joined later by Darrelle Revis and then Antonio Cromartie. While Revis and Cromartie are Batman and Robin, getting all the glory on the outside, Skrine is the movable piece in Todd Bowles’ defense that can cause havoc with blitzes and shut down slot receivers.

“I love playing in this defense,” Skrine said. “I can play fast. I can play free. Just this defense that Bowles has brought here helps me play fast and I’m more comfortable out there.”A former Jet actually steered Skrine toward Gang Green. Aaron Glenn, the former Jets cornerback who is now the Browns assistant defensive backs coach, told Skrine about Bowles when Glenn coached Skrine in Cleveland. Glenn had played for Bowles with the Jets in 2000. Browns linebacker Karlos Dansby, who played for Bowles in Miami and Arizona, also told Skrine he loved playing for Bowles.

“I said everyone likes him, so why not?” Skrine said.

Skrine now sees what the fuss is about and loves playing for Bowles. The feeling is mutual.“He plays hard. I mean, he really plays hard,” Bowles said. “He practices hard, he’s in great shape, and he’s in great condition. He fights on every play. He just fights every single play. He’s a guy you love watching play and love to have on your team.”

>    http://nypost.com/2015/09/24/the-name-that-brings-a-smile-to-anyone-involved-with-the-jets/?ref=yfp

Revis, Skrine, Carpenter.  That is one heck of an off-season for the front office.  The only misstep may have been Cromartie although it may be a little early to make that call.

Great job.

I'd add in the Marshall Monster, Ryan the Anti-Geno and Gilchrist to that sensationally great job by Maccagnan

Not to mention drafting the overall #1 rated player in the draft at #6

Yes sir

Great job is an understatement

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

-- Highlighting two players who figure to have integral roles this week for the New York Jets in their game against the Miami Dolphins  :

Buster Skrine, slot corner: If the Jets want to mess with Ryan Tannehill's head, they should take away his security blanket -- Jarvis Landry, who lines up almost exclusively in the slot. Landry has been targeted a team-high 34 times, with 23 of those coming out of the slot. That domain belongs to Skrine, who has played well in his first three games with the Jets. He doesn't have to worry about Landry's deep speed -- he's averaging only 9.6 yards per catch -- but he has to pay attention to Landry's route-running. He's a crafty receiver and Tannehill looks to him a lot, especially on early downs. If Skrine can neutralize Landry, it would force Tannehill to work the outside, but that would play to the Jets' strength -- meaning Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie.

rest of above article : 

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/54633/buster-skrine-holds-key-to-jets-pass-defense-against-dolphins

While much has understandably been made of the Jets' logistical adjustments (like a major time-zone change and an unfamiliar playing surface) for Sunday's game in London against the Dolphins, the game will still be determined by how the Jets handle important matchups. And one of those matchups involves the Dolphins' best wide receiver, Jarvis Landry, and the Jets' revamped secondary. 

Landry was a second-round draft pick by the Dolphins last year. He put together a fantastic rookie year. He ranked first on the team with 84 catches. He was second in receiving yards (758) and touchdown catches (five), trailing Mike Wallace in both categories. Wallace was traded to the Vikings this offseason, leaving Landry as the Dolphins' clear-cut No. 1 receiver. He is playing like it so far in 2015. He has 24 catches for 230 yards, but no touchdowns yet. 

Landry is dangerous while playing out of the slot — something the Jets will have to account for. Jets strong safety Calvin Pryor said the Dolphins are asking Landry to do similar stuff to what he did last year — short catches out of the slot. Landry can do some open-field damage after he catches those short passes, though."He's a good receiver, but he's definitely not a deep threat," Pryor said. "They put him in a lot positions to get the ball. We just have to make sure we're aware of where he's at on the field. He's not going to go down easy. He's very shifty. Has a lot of good moves. More quick than fast. Whenever he gets the ball, we've just got to make sure we get him on the ground." 

Jets coach Todd Bowles heaped high praise on Landry. "He's mentally tough," Bowles said. "He's got a Steve Smith type of attitude. You know he's never going to back down." 

Like Smith, the Ravens' veteran, Landry is a compact, but physical receiver. Smith's name came up a lot Thursday, in reference to Landry. Cornerback Darrelle Revis usually covers the opposing team's best receiver, but the Jets likely will put slot corner Buster Skrine on Landry. This will be a significant test for Skrine, who is looking forward to it. 

"He's a crafty guy," Skrine said. "I'm just ready for the challenge. He runs hard after he catches the ball. He's kind of like a Steve Smith, like another version. He's trying to get as much YAC [yards after the catch] as he can. He's a fighter. I respect his game. He finds ways to get separation. I like the way he plays." Skrine said "one of my plusses" is physicality. The Jets' coaches consider Skrine pound-for-pound the team's strongest player. He'll have to use every bit of that physicality against Smith. 

Just how often does Landry line up in the slot? 

Last season, he ran 77.2 percent of his routes out of the slot, according to Pro Football Focus. Of his 105 targets, 78 came on slot routes. Of his 84 catches, 63 came on slot routes. Four of his five touchdowns came from the slot. This season, Landry has run 73.8 percent of his routes from the slot. Of his 32 targets, 22 have come from the slot. Of his 24 catches, 16 have come from the slot, according to PFF. Landry isn't a deep-ball guy, as Pryor mentioned. Last year, he gained 9 yards per catch, compared to 12.9 for Wallace and 12.2 for Brian Hartline, who is now with the Browns.

This season, Landry is at 9.6 yards per catch. So far this season, Rishard Matthews (16.4 yards per catch) and tight end Jordan Cameron (15.1 yards per catch) have been the Dolphins' biggest chunk-yardage gainers. 

>   http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/10/can_jets_secondary_handle_jarvis_landry_miami_dolp.html#incart_river

-- A look back at the New York Jets' 27-14 win over the Miami Dolphins -- three players whose stock is rising, three whose stock is falling  :

THREE RISERS

~ ~ 3. Buster Skrine, cornerback -- Yeah, he had a costly holding penalty on a fourth down in the fourth quarter, which would've been really ugly if the Jets had lost, but Skrine played another solid game overall. He was an absolute menace on the blitz, recording a quarterback hit and two pass break-ups. In one series, he came on four straight slot blitzes, unblocked. You might say the Dolphins were slow to react.

rest of above article :

>   http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/54807/jets-mo-wilkerson-outplays-ndamukong-suh-the-114-million-man

• 3 weeks later...

-- It looks like the New York Jets will have Buster Skrine on Sunday against the New England Patriots -- good news for a secondary poised to face Tom Brady.

Skrine, who suffered a concussion last Sunday, said he felt "fine" after practicing fully on Friday, sans the red/no-contact jersey. Even though he still hadn't been officially cleared, the Jets' valuable nickel back was listed as probable for Sunday. His status was uncertain early in the week.At cornerback, the Jets should be at full strength, always an important thing when you're facing Brady. Marcus Williams, who missed last week with a pulled hamstring, is probable. He could get on the field if they go to a dime package against the Patriots.

In the slot, Skrine could draw Julian Edelman or Danny Amendola. The Jets also could decide to use Darrelle Revis on Edelman."He's a complete receiver," Skrine said of Edelman. "That's why he's their No. 1 receiver. I have a lot of respect for him, but it'll be a good challenge for them, too because of our defense. It's the No. 1 offense against the No. 1 defense."

That it is, at least in terms of scoring.

The Jets (4-1) don't have any major injury questions going into the game. Running back Bilal Powell (sprained ankle) was ruled out, which came as no surprise. He didn't practice this week. Guard Willie Colon (knee) was listed as questionable, but he's expected to play.The only mystery surrounds running back Stevan Ridley, currently on the physically-unable-to-perform list. After three practices with Ridley, Todd Bowles remained non-committal on whether to add him to the roster this week. If they remove him from the PUP list, they'd have to make a corresponding move.

"He looks OK," Bowles said of Ridley, who hasn't played in a game since last October. "I mean, we're not in pads this week, so it's hard to tell. He ran around and bounced around. ... He's running around pretty good."Ridley, nearly a year removed from major knee surgery, would be the No. 3 back, behind Chris Ivory and Zac Stacy. On Thursday, Ridley sounded optimistic about his chances of facing his former team in his Jets' debut.

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/55297/jets-nickel-back-buster-skrine-concussion-probable-vs-patriots

One of the more interesting matchups in Sunday's Jets-Patriots game could be Jets cornerback Buster Skrine and Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman. Both players can thrive in the slot. Of course, since Edelman is the Patriots' No. 1 receiver, the Jets could opt to put top cornerback Darrelle Revis on him. Skrine, unsurprisingly, wouldn't reveal Friday whether he or Revis will defend Edelman. 

Revis knows Edelman's style very well because they were teammates last season in New England. Skrine is somewhat familiar with it, too, from past experience, albeit not as Edelman's teammate. "He carries a fire about himself," Skrine said. "I like the way he plays. He's a real shifty guy. He runs a lot of misdirection routes. He can go deep. He's just a complete receiver. That's why he's their No. 1 receiver. I've got a lot of respect for him. It's going to be a good challenge for them, too, against our defense." 

Skrine is listed as probable for Sunday's game, as he returns from a concussion sustained in last Sunday's win over Washington. Barring an unexpected setback, Skrine will play in New England. He said he feels "fine" to play. When Skrine played for the Browns to start his career, from 2011-14, he had one-on-one coverage assignments against both Edelman and Danny Amendola. That happened in a 2013 Browns-Patriots game that New England won 27-26. 

According to Pro Football Focus, Edelman was targeted one time when Skrine defended him. Edelman dropped that pass. Amendola, who is still with New England, was targeted four times with Skrine on him. Amendola had three catches for 23 yards and a touchdown. Edelman this season leads the Patriots with 40 catches for 449 yards and four touchdowns. Amendola is fourth on the team with 17 catches, for 203 yards and one touchdown. 

Amendola this season runs an NFL-high 94.2 percent of his routes from the slot, according to PFF. So Skrine could see a lot of him in this game. Edelman can also be dangerous in the slot, even though he doesn't line up there as frequently as Amendola does — 48.4 percent of his routes. 

>     http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/10/what_does_jets_buster_skrine_think_about_possible.html#incart_river

Archived