Refs are attrocious

BowlesMovement

Not a "refs are killing us!" guy, but that non PI on the INT was an embarrassment. 

What makes it so much worse is the fact that they called two PI's on non-catchable balls against the Jets. I don't care if you want to be ticky tack, well, not true, it hurts the game, but at least be somewhat consistent. The past two Jets games have been a travesty of officiating. And like you, I don't really like to complain about the refs either, but its been so absurd.

You could...possibly...argue that the non-call on Smith was because the defender was looking at the ball, which he was.  But given the calls they were making against the Jets prior to that, it pretty much made it look like there was an NFL mandate to officiate the game into staying close until the 4th quarter.  The NFL has a lot at stake here and doesn't want a stadium emptying out early so it's hard not to think that.  Then in the last half of the 4th quarter, the Jets started getting calls again. 

Honestly, the only reason I don't believe this is real is because I can't see how some former ref wouldn't have blown the whistle by now.  That book would be worth a $3MM advance, minimum.

Not a "refs are killing us!" guy, but that non PI on the INT was an embarrassment. 

me also Bugg...I've been posting here a couple years now and never complain about refs...but sweet Jesus it's been worse than ever this year....it was borderline corrupt today , I know it wasn't actually corrupt but geez sometimes you wonder.

You could...possibly...argue that the non-call on Smith was because the defender was looking at the ball, which he was.  But given the calls they were making against the Jets prior to that, it pretty much made it look like there was an NFL mandate to officiate the game into staying close until the 4th quarter.  The NFL has a lot at stake here and doesn't want a stadium emptying out early so it's hard not to think that.  Then in the last half of the 4th quarter, the Jets started getting calls again. 

Honestly, the only reason I don't believe this is real is because I can't see how some former ref wouldn't have blown the whistle by now.  That book would be worth a $3MM advance, minimum.

agreed , when I say it seems corrupt at times I don't think the refs are betting or have a rooting interest , but sometimes it's hard NOT to think there is an NFL mandate to keep games close at times.....That's a 30-3 national snoozer with even bad officiating ....let alone decent or good.

agreed , when I say it seems corrupt at times I don't think the refs are betting or have a rooting interest , but sometimes it's hard NOT to think there is an NFL mandate to keep games close at times.....That's a 30-3 national snoozer with even bad officiating ....let alone decent or good.

I'm not suggesting the refs are on the take.  I tend to think that's highly unlikely.  My area of suspicion is over whether the NFL instructs the refs to 'lean' towards the losing team in an early blowout on national games and then, if necessary, lean back the other way once it tightens up.  I'd LIKE to think there's no way they'd do that, but when you watch a game like this, it's hard not to wonder.

The refs are simply abiding by the mandates & philosophy of the NFL Offices in NYC. The game has become watered down and there's ALWAYS a flag to miraculously keep a drive or two alive no matter how dubious the call. Sadly it is what it is. Is it fair to assume MOST of us NFL fans believe the league has lost its integrity?

The GOOD thing is that the Jets were resilient despite the BS calls and Scored coming out of the half to assert their dominance.  GUT CHECK TIME. They didn't beat themselves - though the last 8 mins were frustrating to bear- and never seemed rattled by a fins team that just has no synergy.

I'm not suggesting the refs are on the take.  I tend to think that's highly unlikely.  My area of suspicion is over whether the NFL instructs the refs to 'lean' towards the losing team in an early blowout on national games and then, if necessary, lean back the other way once it tightens up.  I'd LIKE to think there's no way they'd do that, but when you watch a game like this, it's hard not to wonder.

100% I'm in agreement with you here.

That was one of the stranger things I've seen. I've never seen a wr simply bumped off like that without a call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ESPECIALLY in today's Drop The Soap and bend over bias the league has for scoring more points & protecting WRs.

Another week, another horribly one sided officiated game against the Jets. Two completely uncatchable passes called PI, and Marshalls in the end zone not called. Wilk getting dragged down by facemask, no call. At least 11 points towards the dolphins already in the first half. Total bs.

Best offensive player for the fins was in stripes, no question.

• 2 weeks later...

so I'm reading this article and then almost choke, lol

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13896851/nfl-reprimands-two-officials-miscues-separate-monday-night-football-games

Vernatchi was responsible for ensuring accuracy of the game clock last Monday during the Pittsburgh Steelers' 24-20 victory over the San Diego Chargers. Neither he nor any member of referee Pete Morelli's crew noticed that the Qualcomm Stadium clock operator allowed 18 seconds to run off late in the fourth quarter. The Steelers took possession with 2:38 remaining in the game instead of 2:56 as they should have after a touchback.

In a statement released Thursday afternoon, an NFL spokesman said Vernatchi is sidelined this week "as a result of the failure to notice that the game clock was incorrectly started." The mistake will also affect the season evaluation of referee Pete Morelli and the rest of his crew, which is scheduled to officiate Sunday's game between the Washington Redskins and New York Jets. The clock operator at Qualcomm Stadium, an NFL employee, is also under review and could be replaced before the Chargers' next home game on Oct. 25.

so I'm reading this article and then almost choke, lol

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13896851/nfl-reprimands-two-officials-miscues-separate-monday-night-football-games

Vernatchi was responsible for ensuring accuracy of the game clock last Monday during the Pittsburgh Steelers' 24-20 victory over the San Diego Chargers. Neither he nor any member of referee Pete Morelli's crew noticed that the Qualcomm Stadium clock operator allowed 18 seconds to run off late in the fourth quarter. The Steelers took possession with 2:38 remaining in the game instead of 2:56 as they should have after a touchback.

In a statement released Thursday afternoon, an NFL spokesman said Vernatchi is sidelined this week "as a result of the failure to notice that the game clock was incorrectly started." The mistake will also affect the season evaluation of referee Pete Morelli and the rest of his crew, which is scheduled to officiate Sunday's game between the Washington Redskins and New York Jets. The clock operator at Qualcomm Stadium, an NFL employee, is also under review and could be replaced before the Chargers' next home game on Oct. 25.

LOL

Great

How come no on has discussed the awful non call in the NYG game the other night?  Eli clearly grounded the ball on that last drive.  should have been grounding so instead of 3rd and 10 it should have been about 3rd and 20. this was the easiest grounding call ever and they missed it.

Archived