Let's be realistic...

Integrity28

i hate all these knee jerk threads

they were never going to win this game. they've never beaten the Eagles. They were desperate the jets were reading their own good press. 

It's not a matter of personnel or coaching or just getting mad enough that they do better. It's just the way the schedule broke. 

If the Eagles had beaten Dallas and the Jets lose to Indy, yesterday becomes a much more winnable game .

end of the day the Jets aren't contenders and neither are the Eagles. You see that 50 point drubbing the Pats put on the Jags. That's what contenders look like. for future reference. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great job ape....summed it up , I love this board but some outlandish stuff being thrown around today. I also like the way we fought back , a good sign going forward. Obviously a disappointing day but it's a long season , a split against Indy/Philly ( 2 preseason super bowl favs) isn't a reason to freak out. We beat Miami next week and we are in fantastic shape. 

Fair.... BUT Buffalo and Pats look the real deal.    Schedule all of a sudden looks more difficult.

Good thread and I'll always contribute to one that's not reactionary.
Since we don't have a "franchise QB" our offense is totally dependent
on our top 3 playmakers (Marshall, Decker & Ivory).  With them available
Fitzpatrick can be effective/efficient (2 wins) without them his warts
show (1 loss).  Big picture, I wanted to come out of the first four games
at worst 2-2.  If we get Decker & Ivory back we have a good chance to be
3-1 because MIA already looks to be mailing it in for some reason.  3-1
at the bye with Richardson coming back and Smith getting more familiar
with the offense would be a great place

Over the last few years, their have been tons of posts about Powell "not getting his shot to shine".  Yesterday, you saw our running game with Powell.  If Ivory gets injured for any length of time, our run game is done.

Over the last few years, their have been tons of posts about Powell "not getting his shot to shine".  Yesterday, you saw our running game with Powell.  If Ivory gets injured for any length of time, our run game is done.

I have high hopes for Ridley.  I understand that he is eligible to come off the PUP list week 6.  I'm not sure if that means week 6 (after Redskins/before Patriots) or after 6 games (after Patriots/before Raiders). 

I have high hopes for Ridley.  I understand that he is eligible to come off the PUP list week 6.  I'm not sure if that means week 6 (after Redskins/before Patriots) or after 6 games (after Patriots/before Raiders). 

Wish I could share your enthusiasm, but the track record for former Patriot RB's is terrible.  Hopefully he bucks the trend.

Great post.....I really am tired of the imbecilic nature that makes this board unreadable after wins and losses.

I agree with alot of what was written. Couple of thoughts.

1 ) This was the first time to me this season that the OL did not hold up its end of the bargain. Fitz pretty much the first two games played in a pressure free pocket and Ivory was able to run the ball. Once the Eagles got up 24-0 their D-Line was basically able to pin its ears back and get after him, which they did a big way.

2) Mistakes, Mistakes, Mistakes. Five missed tackles on the Sproles punt return, Marshall with a brain fart, bad challenge again by Bowles. All contributed to the L

3) Hey give the Eagles some credit. They were able to seal the Jets DL and LB allowing Matthews to break outside on a number of runs. They kept Bradford protected and they made some plays on defense. Sproles is such a good player. I really was hoping that the Jets would make a push for him when he went on the market a few years ago. The guy flat out makes plays.

4) Defense. Very spotty in the first half with the missed tackles and lack of pressure on Bradford. They shut them down though in the second half limiting them to I think under a 100 yards to total the second half.

One more thing for the knucklehads who have polluted this board the last 12 hours with all this Fitz sucks, start Geno crap. I can pretty much guarantee you that no one is going undefeated this season, except maybe New England. The Jets lost. Big deal, they are probably going to lose 5,6 maybe even 7 more times this year. Hopefully the Jets turn the page and go get ready for Miami

I'd say that the only thing as tiresome as our futility for years at the QB position is this myth that somehow keeps being perpetuated that we have an elite defensive line. Where does that nonsense come from? Does anyone really watch this team and think they compare to those Giants lines that knocked people on their ass all game and won them their last Super Bowls? 

After three weeks this is what I see.

- Fitzpatrick is exactly what I thought he would be.  a hold the fort kind of guy that will do well enough for you if your defense and running game is solid but who will get killed if asked to carry the team and through 40, let alone 50 times a game.

- The running game in the last two games is very concerning, both oline and backs do not look explosive at all or dangerous.

- The teams run stopping is also questionable at times, especially early in games.

- Cromartie is a liability, he made some plays lat game but also had two bad plays early, burnt on one pass and then forced to hold a guy later when he was not ready for the play to start.

- My thoughts on our TE, HB position are unchanged, worse than jags.  Cumberland it awful and I don't like what I see from Enunwa at all.

- Smith looked decent in his initial game.

- Leonard Williams is going to be very good.

- Two guys I was very leery about Gilchirst and Skrine have looked pretty good.

This team is 2-1 and really has not played near as well as it can play.  The big games and big measuring stick will be divisional games.

Wish I could share your enthusiasm, but the track record for former Patriot RB's is terrible.  Hopefully he bucks the trend.

Track record?  What track record?  Vereen seems to be doing fine with the Giants.  Everybody's darling, Danny Woodhead had a better year in SD than he ever did with Brady.  BJ Green-Ellis had as good a year in Cincy as he ever did with the Pats.  Hell, even Leon Washington had an uptick with the Titans last year.  Do you mean Blount?  He got arrested.  It's not like guys leave the Pats and forget how to play.  I don't expect Ridley to take the world by storm, but I think healthy he will provide a better compliment than what we have now.

The Davis roughing and Coples illegal hands are two penalties that couldve been avoided that killed us. The game was winnable without these. Very disappointed...thought we were passed these type of penalties.

Both huge penalties, but to say the game is winnable w/o them is a stretch. If Coples isn't flagged , Eagles punt and say even with a bad punt Jets get the ball at their own 40 . Do you really believe Fitz could drive 60 yards to a TD in less than a minute with no Timeouts. Hell it took them 8 1/2 minutes to score when they should have been in hurry up desperation mode. Dinking and Dunking is not going to allow us to come back in many games this year, teams will give us the underneath garabge all day as they don't respect Fitz's arm enough to beat them deep.

We weren't going to win all 16, and not one fan of this team ever expected us to. This board is unreadable right now, so to those level-headed fans out there that want to have a real conversation about real expectations... maybe we can keep this thread from becoming a calamity.

Let's talk about what the first 3 weeks has taught us...

1. Bowles has made two HORRIBLE challenges the past 2 weeks. In general, I like what he's doing, but the communication between our guys upstairs and the sideline needs to be better. You can't piss away challenges.
  2. Mistakes lose games. We've seen it from our opponents, and now we've seen it from our Jets.
  3. This offense cannot absorb losing 4 starters: Ivory, Decker, Owusu and Colon (left in first half)
  4. Fitzpatrick should never be asked to throw the ball 60 times...
  5. the run game didn't give them much of an alternative.
  6. You are going to begin seeing teams defend Fitzpatrick, like Pennington, in the box. They'll dare him to throw it outside, and will sit on the slants and crossing routes. The Eagles did this successfully the whole first half. Fitz's interceptions (the ones that have been his fault) haven't been back-breakers, but his limitations could be if the opposing defenses game-plan and execute like the Eagles did today.
  7. Our offensive line has been neglected for too long, and it's showing up this year, just like the past couple years. If we could protect Fitz today and create even a few running lanes, we win this game. No question.
  8. It's alarming that we came out so flat in the first half... at home.
  9. Our defense can keep us in any game, and not in that "hold them in check all game, then give up the game-winning drive in the 4th quarter" sort of way. 
  10. I like how scrappy the team is. I like that they came out in the second half and almost took the win away from Philly. SOJ teams fold up and go home if down by 24.
  11. Lot of mental errors today. 
  12. Lots of holding by the Philly OL all day. I suspect the NFL script writers didn't want the "Chip Kelly" narrative to fade away. He's a polarizing character in their plot chart, can't have him going 0-3. I believe Philly got help today, but ultimately we screwed ourselves.
  13. Really disappointing to hear all the cheering when Philly was doing well. I kept looking at the field markings second-guessing whether we were the home team or not. Shameful.
  14. I truly hope Petty is the guy.
  15. Petty. Please be the guy.

I fully expected to win all 16...

Track record?  What track record?  Vereen seems to be doing fine with the Giants.  Everybody's darling, Danny Woodhead had a better year in SD than he ever did with Brady.  BJ Green-Ellis had as good a year in Cincy as he ever did with the Pats.  Hell, even Leon Washington had an uptick with the Titans last year.  Do you mean Blount?  He got arrested.  It's not like guys leave the Pats and forget how to play.  I don't expect Ridley to take the world by storm, but I think healthy he will provide a better compliment than what we have now.

Fumbles are where the Patriot RB's show an uptick when they leave.  Green-Ellis scored 24 TD's and had 0 fumbles in 2 years as a starter with the Pats.  He had 13 TD's and 5 fumbles with Cincy in 2 years, then was out of the league.  Vereen only had 2 fumbles in 4 years with the Pats, let's see if that number goes up with the Giants. 

Ridley did have 8 fumbles in 2 years with the Pats, however. 

We weren't going to win all 16, and not one fan of this team ever expected us to. This board is unreadable right now, so to those level-headed fans out there that want to have a real conversation about real expectations... maybe we can keep this thread from becoming a calamity.

1. Bowles has made two HORRIBLE challenges the past 2 weeks. In general, I like what he's doing, but the communication between our guys upstairs and the sideline needs to be better. You can't piss away challenges.
  2. Mistakes lose games. We've seen it from our opponents, and now we've seen it from our Jets.
  3. This offense cannot absorb losing 4 starters: Ivory, Decker, Owusu and Colon (left in first half)
  6. You are going to begin seeing teams defend Fitzpatrick, like Pennington, in the box. They'll dare him to throw it outside, and will sit on the slants and crossing routes. The Eagles did this successfully the whole first half. Fitz's interceptions (the ones that have been his fault) haven't been back-breakers, but his limitations could be if the opposing defenses game-plan and execute like the Eagles did today.
  7. Our offensive line has been neglected for too long, and it's showing up this year, just like the past couple years. If we could protect Fitz today and create even a few running lanes, we win this game. No question.
  9. Our defense can keep us in any game, and not in that "hold them in check all game, then give up the game-winning drive in the 4th quarter" sort of way. 
  10. I like how scrappy the team is. I like that they came out in the second half and almost took the win away from Philly. SOJ teams fold up and go home if down by 24.
  12. Lots of holding by the Philly OL all day. I suspect the NFL script writers didn't want the "Chip Kelly" narrative to fade away. He's a polarizing character in their plot chart, can't have him going 0-3. I believe Philly got help today, but ultimately we screwed ourselves.
  13. Really disappointing to hear all the cheering when Philly was doing well. I kept looking at the field markings second-guessing whether we were the home team or not. Shameful.

I can get behind this, but how do you make a comprehensive list like this and leave off the one key thing that proved to be our Achilles Heal? Those STUPID ALL WHITE UNIFORMS!?!?!?!

Couldn't have said it better.  Well done

Fumbles are where the Patriot RB's show an uptick when they leave.  Green-Ellis scored 24 TD's and had 0 fumbles in 2 years as a starter with the Pats.  He had 13 TD's and 5 fumbles with Cincy in 2 years, then was out of the league.  Vereen only had 2 fumbles in 4 years with the Pats, let's see if that number goes up with the Giants. 

Oh please with the squeezy ball.  BJGE was getting old.  There aren't many 30 year old RBs.  The issue with the Pats backs is that they are part time players and when they leave people expect them to be feature backs.  Ridley is not going to be a feature back.  He will be a change (or continuation of battering) of pace and will start when Ivory is down or dinged.  The Bengals rode BJGE pretty hard.  I don't expect Ridley to be getting 20 carries per game. I'd be surprised if he ends up with 120 for the season.

how is new England offense looking now that the balls aren't deflated?

Thank God Todd Bowles settled the non issue that has gotten 12 rancorous, duplicative and unecessary threads started since yesterday

He said

Ryan's our starter. Period

GeNONONO the dumpster fire of QB will not be walking on the field

And if and when he says just as definitively that Geno is the starter you and everyone else will contribute to an equally long thread discussing that too.  So

And if and when he says just as definitively that Geno is the starter you and everyone else will contribute to an equally long thread discussing that too.  So

Doubtful

That horrendous decision would be the last straw for me and many Jet fans

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Very nice there can be a topic that the Geno nuts don't hijack. 

Injuries really hurt yesterday.   Back up guard, #3 wr and back up RB stink.  

Now maybe when Smith gets a little playing time and Ridley gets cleared that gets better but not counting on it.    Hope to get a win and no more injuries in England.  Week of rest and maybe at full strength after the bye. 

Second that.  And if he cannot do it with what the Jets put out there along side of him on the DL, imagine him having to be "the man".  When it comes down to results and ability, he is at the bottom end of the "real money" list.  

If you do not sack the QB, you do not get the gilt.

The challenges are most concerning for me. It's actually been all 3 weeks so far, real dopey stuff. Someone needs to say something to him about this ASAP, because eventually it's going to cost us a 2nd half timeout in a game where we'll need it.

It makes me wonder if the video guy is giving him bad info. They've been that inexplicable.

The challenges are most concerning for me. It's actually been all 3 weeks so far, real dopey stuff. Someone needs to say something to him about this ASAP, because eventually it's going to cost us a 2nd half timeout in a game where we'll need it.

Could be a pseudo-timeout. Bowles thinks he could use a timeout and figures why the hell not just give it a shot. I've heard coaches mention this before. If it happens in the second half then I'll worry. 

Could be a pseudo-timeout. Bowles thinks he could use a timeout and figures why the hell not just give it a shot. I've heard coaches mention this before. If it happens in the second half then I'll worry. 

I wondered about this too, since the challenge yesterday came at a point when the defense looked totally gassed.

If true, that's a terrible strategy.  You only get two challenges per game (three challenges per game only if your first two were successful).

Under no circumstance should a coach be burning through a challenge unnecessarily.  They are too valuable and can mean the difference between a win or a loss if a blatantly bad call is made on the field.

Aye, many words would indeed be sperged.

Pointlessly, IMO.

If Geno goes back in in 2015, Fitz will never see the field again barring injury to Geno.

There is no "change to give Geno a try, we can always change back" as I see it.

Once Fitz is benched, it's for good, and we get Geno Smith the rest of the season.

Bowles gets one change.  He changes back, he looks like a fool, and he doesn't strike me as the type to accept looking the fool.

So we fans should keep that in mind.  Geno back is Geno for good in 2015.

Sure, but at the same time if it costs him another challenge later in the game then it's stupid too. You have to be conservative when it comes to time outs and challenges.

I think it goes to a particular sense of carelessness that kind of got reinforced yesterday with the way they approached the fourth quarter. They're down by three scores, the defense is tired and had a really hard time with their RBs all day, and the Jets' offense is just taking its gingerly time getting up to the ball and using the entire play clock. No sense of urgency whatsoever. Maybe it's because he wanted to give the D some rest, but even still, you just can't do that. In a situation like the Jets were in for the late 3rd/early 4th you're playing just as much against the clock as you are the other team. You have to conserve time and get to the ball, you have to. After watching the Herm and Rex years and the way they always did the same exact thing, and it always bit them in the ass every time, I just can't stress how much it increases the likelihood of a loss when you start treating time like that. In that situation time is a commodity and you have to go all in on it.

The little things like TOs and challenges, decreasing the time in between plays by 20 seconds or so, they all add up in the end. I like Bowles a lot, but anything related to time is one thing he needs to get in the habit of being conservative with.

Archived