Head coaching performance

docdhc

As a rabid Jet fan who moved to the Philly area for work 25 years ago it's tough to find positives from yesterdays game, especially with renditions of "fly eagles fly" ringing in my ears as I left Met Life and having to face people at work today.  I am impressed with Todd Bowles performance yesterday, though, for a number of reasons.  First, in game management was solid.  The team appears well coached without the type of penalties you saw all too often in the past six years like too many men on the field or multiple pre snap penalties.  The bone head play by Marshall was incredibly stupid, but he did get talked to immediately when he went to the sideline by Todd himself, and he admitted how dumb it was right after the game.  They didn't waste any timeouts:  the first half challenge was very reasonable being a big pass  play that was called back and the fact that both feet did touch down in bounds but just a fraction of a second after the elbow it.  In the second half they had all their to's when they were trying to make a comeback and used them to almost get a chance to get the ball again with a chance to win.  The FG they kicked on 4th and 7 to make it a one possession game was smart and a better percentage play then going for the first down.  This was nothing earth shattering but it was solid in game clock management that so many NFL coaches seem to struggle with, especially 2 out of 3 of our last head coaches.  

The other thing I liked was the post game presser.  Sometimes you tell  more about a coach when things don't go well and Todd seemed to be the same guy he has been since he has been hired.  Not too high, not too low, no panic and it's lets go to work for next game.  He isn't fanning a QB controversy,  taking all the blame, or burying any game balls.  I wasn't expecting 3-0 at the start of the season, so 2-1 is pretty good, and it is nice to have a steady experienced hand at the helm for a change.

I hope he points out and corrects some of the reasons we lost yesterday. This is his first loss at HC. His team was flat. It had been talked about all week about this possibly being a trap game and it was just that. Over confident or whatever I think Bowles and his staff need to squash that while they are still in the locker room. In my mind this week is a test of his abilities to gather his team, eliminate the bonehead penalties and plays ( Thank u Marshall ) and get on the plane.

I loved in the presser how he handled the Geno question did u ever think of putting Geno in? "Ryan is our QB" next.. LOL  My wife jumped off the couch and was yelling "I Love this guy"..

Bad point... What is going on with the challenges?

Go Jets!

The challenge ended up costing nothing. They really have not had a challengeable (is that a word?) play yet this year. Let's see if he challenges when he should.

I'm more concerned that the team seemed flat. It reminded me a lot of the playoff game in Pittsburgh...

Absolutely correct on the Pittsburgh Game.

The challange was brutal but is that on the coach?  Doesnt he employ of person/persons to be watching this and they buzz down for him to challange?

its mindboggling how many these coaches get wrong when i can clearly see the correct call from my couch on 1 replay.

can i send my resume to bowles and ill just text him from my couch here in south florida after i see the replay on tv?

im 10x better then whoever currently has the role.

The challenge ended up costing nothing. They really have not had a challengeable (is that a word?) play yet this year. Let's see if he challenges when he should.

I'm more concerned that the team seemed flat. It reminded me a lot of the playoff game in Pittsburgh...

right...which made me think of REX.   This coming out flat is becoming too common.

The challenge was terrible, and it's the second time in three games he's thrown the red flag without any shot of an overturn. We were also way too leisurely on the TD drive in the 4th.

As well as the 8 minute TD drive before that. 

Im not going to kill the guy for his 3rd (real) game as HC with Fitzpatrick tossing prayers, off target throws, and check downs. But the team looked pretty undisciplined. A wealth of missed tackles and dumb penalties, right down to the last (non-kneel down) play of the game on defense that killed any prayer shot they had.

And yes, as you mentioned, another ridiculous challenge. That events unfolded in such a way, that the challenge didn't hurt us, is immaterial. At the time he made that challenge, early in the game, he didn't know that decision wouldn't come back to bite us. 

If it continues like his all season then we have reason to worry. Ideally, and most likely, he'll see what went wrong and correct it. But if nothing else, the totally unnecessary killer personal foul type penalties and no-chance challenges have got to stop.  Those things don't magically disappear when a better QB finally materializes, and they're on the head coach to correct. 

The challange was brutal but is that on the coach?  Doesnt he employ of person/persons to be watching this and they buzz down for him to challange?

its mindboggling how many these coaches get wrong when i can clearly see the correct call from my couch on 1 replay.

can i send my resume to bowles and ill just text him from my couch here in south florida after i see the replay on tv?

im 10x better then whoever currently has the role.

Absolutely.  If I'm Bowles, today I ask that moron WTF he saw to warrant that challenge. Everyone watching on TV saw the correct call.  My voice went out at that point.

As well as the 8 minute TD drive before that. 

Im not going to kill the guy for his 3rd (real) game as HC with Fitzpatrick tossing prayers, off target throws, and check downs. But the team looked pretty undisciplined. A wealth of missed tackles and dumb penalties, right down to the last (non-kneel down) play of the game on defense that killed any prayer shot they had.

And yes, as you mentioned, another ridiculous challenge. That events unfolded in such a way, that the challenge didn't hurt us, is immaterial. At the time he made that challenge, early in the game, he didn't know that decision wouldn't come back to bite us. 

If it continues like his all season then we have reason to worry. Ideally, and most likely, he'll see what went wrong and correct it. But if nothing else, the totally unnecessary killer personal foul type penalties and no-chance challenges have got to stop.  Those things don't magically disappear when a better QB finally materializes, and they're on the head coach to correct. 

Other than the challenge and the slow drives, I thought he was fine. I guess we came out a little flat, but Bowels also deserves credit for the 2nd half, where the offense moved the ball and defense pitched a shutout (and got a takeaway to boot). Bottom line if Fitzpatrick doesn't hand them the ball three times we probably win.

I thought he threw the challenge flag to give the defense a bit more time before it had to go back on the field not because he thought he could win it.

Bowles is a level headed guy. I liked the way the team settled down and fought back. Lots of mistakes but we are only in week 3. Plenty of "teaching moments".

Other than the challenge and the slow drives, I thought he was fine. I guess we came out a little flat, but Bowels also deserves credit for the 2nd half, where the offense moved the ball and defense pitched a shutout (and got a takeaway to boot). Bottom line if Fitzpatrick doesn't hand them the ball three times we probably win.

Agreed other than the 3rd pick being on Marshall.

Could be. Could also be that Philadelphia was purposefully not aggressive as the game neared its close. Allowed a lot of passes underneath because that would (and did) eat up a lot of clock with the Jets' decidedly not-hurryup offense. On offense, they weren't in attack mode, and the defense is getting credit for stopping another sure TD that was simply dropped due on no part to the defense stopping it.

Bowles certainly wasn't a train wreck, but the game ended up a lot closer than it should have been from 2 easy TD drops by their backs, rather than due to great play on the defense's part. Hey, lucky for us and unlucky for them that those plays unfolded like that. But dumb luck is a poor strategy to rely upon. And there is a lot of undisciplined play.

I am impressed with Todd Bowles performance yesterday, though, for a number of reasons.

This isn't a total indictment, but I was disappointed by TB because I saw one team a lot hungrier than the other yesterday. 

I am not a guy who obsesses about the Pats (and certainly not one who howls 24/7 how they cheat, etc) but that Eagles squad would have been coldly slammed onto the rocks if they visited Gillette. 

My hopes were that if we could dispatch a desperate team like the Eagles - through all phases of the game - that maybe something special was happening. 

As it turns out - all phases of the game were flat - I don't think we're acknowledging how poor our D played yesterday, the Eagles almost did a lot more damage had a couple of easy passes been inexplicably dropped by RBs in the flat. And we never touched Bradford - that was far from elite defense.

But I'll also say, this was clearly not a pull all stops effort. I don't think Bowles wanted Ivory or Decker to even chance a bruise before the Dolphins game - and that caution probably seeped through to the whole team. I have a feeling our coach operates with the long game in mind.

Expect much more against the fish, as it's much more important a game. 

Also db:

No doubt, Fitzpatrick handing the ball back after the D got it back so fast - twice in a row - is maddening. The very idea of Fitzpatrick being in there at all (after he's not the option due to injury) is he's a game manager who may not win the game for them but he won't really lose it either. While Fitz was in no way the only culprit in this loss, a close game materialized (however it happened), and the ball was put into his hands as a "new game" of sorts in the 2nd half. He's the QB and an argument could be made that he lost this one.

I like that he threw a TD pass to Marshall, but it's relying upon luck that he was open enough then and not triple-teamed; Fitz had Smith open and flat-out missed him in the end zone the very play before, and you don't usually get 2 guys that open in the EZ on back to back plays. Summary: the rest of the team is going to have to bail out and overcome the QB play, and this means the margin of error for Bowles and everyone else is low (meaning Marshall can't commit 2 turnovers himself).

But that was, to me, the driving point of that FO article. Case in point, that Indy game should have been a blowout in our favor. Fitz certainly isn't the worst QB I've ever seen (hey, I'm a Jets fan), but he's pretty bad. One wonders if prior teams got rid of him because of a mini-revolt by the team's frustrated pass catchers.

Help me out here  I could not see the game. Did the Jets contest Marshall's fumble - I just saw the vid for the first time and it appears his left elbow was down before he released the ball? Was that reviewed?

It was just not overturned. Officiating was questionable at best yesterday.

Could be. Could also be that Philadelphia was purposefully not aggressive as the game neared its close. Allowed a lot of passes underneath because that would (and did) eat up a lot of clock with the Jets' decidedly not-hurryup offense. On offense, they weren't in attack mode, and the defense is getting credit for stopping another sure TD that was simply dropped due on no part to the defense stopping it.

Bowles certainly wasn't a train wreck, but the game ended up a lot closer than it should have been from 2 easy TD drops by their backs, rather than due to great play on the defense's part. Hey, lucky for us and unlucky for them that those plays unfolded like that. But dumb luck is a poor strategy to rely upon. And there is a lot of undisciplined play.

Fair point on the luck. I didn't think the team looked particularly undisciplined, though.

Fair point on the luck. I didn't think the team looked particularly undisciplined, though.

Poor tackling and unsportsmanlike/personal foul penalties I classify under undisciplined. 

Also it's perhaps unfair to blame him for every - or any - off-field indiscretion, but right before a horrid game mentally, the last anyone heard from Marshall was him bragging that he  should be considered he game's best WR. And Geno. And IK. And Richardson. And Cromartie. And even Colon with his idiotic Porsche comment. That dopey hands to the face penalty from Q when he's not even in on the play and he should know the refs are going to be watching linemen on an obvious running play? That stems from a player who's not thinking because he's not disciplined into being aware of what's at stake on that play.

It's just a lot of things on and off the field, but on the field a lot of poor tackling and so many PF penalties - not to mention Marshall's flip fumble - bugs me in particular.

But like I've said a lot of times already, he's all of 3 games into his HCing career. And sub-par QB play makes those kind of things stick out in a way that would be covered-up afterthoughts if we had a really good one.

Poor tackling and unsportsmanlike/personal foul penalties I classify under undisciplined. 

Also it's perhaps unfair to blame him for every - or any - off-field indiscretion, but right before a horrid game mentally, the last anyone heard from Marshall was him bragging that he  should be considered he game's best WR. And Geno. And IK. And Richardson. And Cromartie. And even Colon with his idiotic Porsche comment. That dopey hands to the face penalty from Q when he's not even in on the play and he should know the refs are going to be watching linemen on an obvious running play? That stems from a player who's not thinking because he's not disciplined into being aware of what's at stake on that play.

It's just a lot of things on and off the field, but on the field a lot of poor tackling and so many PF penalties - not to mention Marshall's flip fumble - bugs me in particular.

I guess so. Overall, the team looks to be much better coached and prepared than under Rex, but I really can't explain exactly why. Maybe I'm just going soft.

I guess so. Overall, the team looks to be much better coached and prepared than under Rex, but I really can't explain exactly why. Maybe I'm just going soft.

I think if all these events - both on and off the field - happened exactly the same way, but Rex was still here, you'd surely have more to say about it. But I'm not going to pretend that isn't understandable. Without doubt, Ryan would publicly/loudly insert himself more into each of these messes and mess-ups, and wouldn't have looked as good as the (far) more subdued Bowles while doing it. Maybe it's just that while he may or may not be in more control, his demeanor suggests he is in total control (in stark contrast to Ryan). If for no other reason than he's in control of his own behavior, which isn't nothing.

I'm very happy with Bowles.  I love his demeanor.  Never too high, never too low.  Doesnt seem to let things get to him.  I think that's a good thing for a Football team, especially after an emotional hard fought roller coaster ride of a game.  He can definitely adjust on the fly and has responded to slow starts by seemingly getting the team back on track.

However, that's just it.  Slow starts.  That has to stop.  This team isnt good enough to overcome sluggish slow starts every single game (unless we play sh*tty teams like Clev and Indy).  The first half of that game was a joke.  There was zero effort or pride displayed on the field.  This is my #1 concern with Bowles right now.  He's got to do something to get these guys coming out of the tunnel like their hair is on fire.  They were pushed around in the first half...by the Eagles.

The other thing, is the sloppy play.  They dont seem extremely disciplined right now.  Some miscommunication's on D, led to wide open players, terrible tackling, horrible angles...a lot of miscues on his side of the ball.  The Jets got lucky on a few drops. The offense (I highly doubt he has a say in anything that goes on here) but it is terrible.  It's like they have preplanned plays they force into the game that just dont fit the situation.  I'm not sure what his involvement is on offense but he should have put a foot up Gailey's ass for how relaxed the offense was playing from behind by multiple scores.  4 penalties resulted in first downs.  Those are killers.  That has to stop.  Throw in 4 turnovers...you cant win those games.  They also gave up 8 first downs on runs.  That's simply terrible...especially considering the Eagles had only 4 in the air and they came into the game with negative rushing yardage.

The challenge was possibly the worst I've ever seen.

Otherwise, its his first loss and it should have been a win.  The D only gave up 17pts, even after 4 turnovers and shut them out in the 2nd half.  The team now has to go across the pond vs. a terrible Dolphags team.  I'm nervous about this game because of the way they started every game so far and having to travel so far.  This week could tell a lot about what we have in Bowles. 

But like I've said a lot of times already, he's all of 3 games into his HCing career. And sub-par QB play makes those kind of things stick out in a way that would be covered-up afterthoughts if we had a really good one.

Sub par QB play makes any HC look bad including the Tuna that started 1-6 in 1999 when Vinny went down game 1.. I like Bowles a lot but I'm waiting for the old; He's being too loyal to Fitz with a healthy Geno  waiting on the bench who can throw deep..:)

Not a well coached game by Bowles.  From not deferring the opening kickoff to the challenge and the offensive gameplan and not going to a two minute offense which worked.  That being said he made adjustments in the 2nd half.  The d played better.  We know the Jets aren't an elite team.  You can't win them all.  You hope Bowles realizes his mistakes corrects them and we can win on Sunday.  From everything I see I think he will.  Time will tell but every coach has a bad game or two a year.

The Jets are still learning this defense and in the learning phase they are doing pretty well. We have seen teams under new schemes take up to half a season before really clamping down . I biggest thing I saw was the lack of a pass rush. I think we saw less blitzes because players were needed in coverage and Kelly's offense is designed to get mismatches which they do to every team they just have not been executing those mismatches very well.

We were the better team and we got beat OR we beat ourselves may be a better description. I'm kind of glad we got beat because that usually turns up the heat in practice and forces coaches to look more at our weaknesses to adjust the new defense. Bowles is a smart guy and better to make the adjustments now than later in the season when loses like this can cost you a playoff birth.

The Jets are still learning this defense and in the learning phase they are doing pretty well. We have seen teams under new schemes take up to half a season before really clamping down . I biggest thing I saw was the lack of a pass rush. I think we saw less blitzes because players were needed in coverage and Kelly's offense is designed to get mismatches which they do to every team they just have not been executing those mismatches very well.

We were the better team and we got beat OR we beat ourselves may be a better description. I'm kind of glad we got beat because that usually turns up the heat in practice and forces coaches to look more at our weaknesses to adjust the new defense. Bowles is a smart guy and better to make the adjustments now than later in the season when loses like this can cost you a playoff birth.

Will be interesting to see how Vic Beasleys career pans out. Williams so far has been very ok.

I'm very happy with Bowles.  I love his demeanor.  Never too high, never too low.  Doesnt seem to let things get to him.  I think that's a good thing for a Football team, especially after an emotional hard fought roller coaster ride of a game.  He can definitely adjust on the fly and has responded to slow starts by seemingly getting the team back on track.

However, that's just it.  Slow starts.  That has to stop.  This team isnt good enough to overcome sluggish slow starts every single game (unless we play sh*tty teams like Clev and Indy).  The first half of that game was a joke.  There was zero effort or pride displayed on the field.  This is my #1 concern with Bowles right now.  He's got to do something to get these guys coming out of the tunnel like their hair is on fire.  They were pushed around in the first half...by the Eagles.

The other thing, is the sloppy play.  They dont seem extremely disciplined right now.  Some miscommunication's on D, led to wide open players, terrible tackling, horrible angles...a lot of miscues on his side of the ball.  The Jets got lucky on a few drops. The offense (I highly doubt he has a say in anything that goes on here) but it is terrible.  It's like they have preplanned plays they force into the game that just dont fit the situation.  I'm not sure what his involvement is on offense but he should have put a foot up Gailey's ass for how relaxed the offense was playing from behind by multiple scores.  4 penalties resulted in first downs.  Those are killers.  That has to stop.  Throw in 4 turnovers...you cant win those games.  They also gave up 8 first downs on runs.  That's simply terrible...especially considering the Eagles had only 4 in the air and they came into the game with negative rushing yardage.

The challenge was possibly the worst I've ever seen.

Otherwise, its his first loss and it should have been a win.  The D only gave up 17pts, even after 4 turnovers and shut them out in the 2nd half.  The team now has to go across the pond vs. a terrible Dolphags team.  I'm nervous about this game because of the way they started every game so far and having to travel so far.  This week could tell a lot about what we have in Bowles. 

If the Jets do not develop a pass rush or use more blitzes that terrible Dophag team won't be so terrible. I'm sure Bowles will adjust 3 games is plenty of film to work with. I'm very happy with Bowles but I do not understand the Challenge either maybe he had people in his ear calling for the challenge... who knows

Archived