Bears unloading players

Obrien2Toon

Matt Forte would be a great acquisition. 

ESPN's Dianna Marie Russini reports the Bears are "looking to unload players that don't fit their scheme" who are left over from the previous regime.

ESPN Bears reporter Jeff Dickerson mentioned Matt Forte and Alshon Jeffery as players GM Ryan Pace should explore trading next after shipping DE Jared Allen to Carolina on Monday. There's little chance the Bears trade Jeffery; at least, we don't think Pace is that stupid. Jeffery is making near-minimum, and even though he's scheduled to be a free agent next spring, he's an ideal candidate for the franchise tag if there's no extension. Forte makes more sense. He'll be 30 in December, is in the final year of his contract, and would make for a prime sell-high candidate. Martellus Bennett could also generate some interest.

We could certainly use a TE. Maccagnan has to at least inquire what they're asking  

I like Forte just fine, but I don't know how much I'm giving up for a 30 year old RB (turns 30 in ~2 months; same difference) who's due $6M over the rest of this season and who becomes a free agent in 2016. 

Well considering we're idiots for not giving up a 1st for Glennon, I'd say a 2nd and a 4th sounds about right for Forte.

Matt Forte would be a great acquisition. 

ESPN's Dianna Marie Russini reports the Bears are "looking to unload players that don't fit their scheme" who are left over from the previous regime.

ESPN Bears reporter Jeff Dickerson mentioned Matt Forte and Alshon Jeffery as players GM Ryan Pace should explore trading next after shipping DE Jared Allen to Carolina on Monday. There's little chance the Bears trade Jeffery; at least, we don't think Pace is that stupid. Jeffery is making near-minimum, and even though he's scheduled to be a free agent next spring, he's an ideal candidate for the franchise tag if there's no extension. Forte makes more sense. He'll be 30 in December, is in the final year of his contract, and would make for a prime sell-high candidate. Martellus Bennett could also generate some interest.

while I don't think it would happen Forte would be a perfect fit for Fitz who does like to check down . Forte is a beast out of the backfield and a combo of him and Ivory would easily be one of the best if not the best tandem in the NFL

Actually Ravens have no cap space ($2.5M).

How about Tennessee?  $24.3M cap space and their RB's are basically trash.  Dexter McCluster started the Colts game, but Antonio Andrews got the most carries (more than Sankey), and David Cobb is on IR.  Imagine Forte paired with a mobile QB and Ken Whisenhunt?  They can afford to give Forte one final payday.

Our scheme doesn't utilize TE's in the passing game so they are not going to give a pick for Bennett unless he is a great blocker too.  Is he? Not sure.

Cutler  - no way we are trading for him

Forte - Good back and Ivory is in a contract year but this won't happen. We have other pressing needs.

Jeffery - Without a QB it wouldn't make sense to have Marshall, Decker, Smith and him.  It's like buying new rims for your Isuzu..   

Archived