Fitz isn't the answer. Neither is Geno. And I doubt Petty is, either

Jet_Engine1

The thing the BEST guys have? The most overlooked skills? Instantaneous decision making and a lightning fast release. Sure, being "smart" is nice, so is having a canon of an arm. But the thing the elite guys have and have always had going back is the ability to look at a defense, make a decision, and quickly get rid of the ball.

It makes everyone around them better, mostly the line, but also the receivers, and as smart as Fitz is, and as good physically Geno is, both of them are extremely limited in other areas, and neither will be anything more than "adequate".....

I hope Petty can be the guy, but I wouldn't quit looking.

And yea, I write this as I watch Rodgers tear it up, and wathced Brafy put on another clinic....when will it be our turn to have that? Ever?

The thing the BEST guys have? The most overlooked skills? Instantaneous decision making and a lightning fast release. Sure, being "smart" is nice, so is having a canon of an arm. But the thing the elite guys have and have always had going back is the ability to look at a defense, make a decision, and quickly get rid of the ball.

It makes everyone around them better, mostly the line, but also the receivers, and as smart as Fitz is, and as good physically Geno is, both of them are extremely limited in other areas, and neither will be anything more than "adequate".....

And yea, I write this as I watch Rodgers tear it up, and wathced Brafy put on another clinic....when will it be our turn to have that? Ever?

It must be nice to go from Brett Favre to Aaron Rodgers.

You know before the 2000 draft, some mocks had the Jets taking Brady in the third round.

the Jets could have also went for Brees in 2006 after Pennington tore his shoulder a second time.

I don't know where I'm going with this.

It must be nice to go from Brett Favre to Aaron Rodgers.

You know before the 2000 draft, some mocks had the Jets taking Brady in the third round.

the Jets could have also went for Brees in 2006 after Pennington tore his shoulder a second time.

I don't know where I'm going with this.

we also passed on Marino....

As soon as we find a good QB, the league will decide that there is too much offense in the game and adjust the rules to make things easier for the defense.

How's your arm?

Fitz is always good at starting out hot, looking good, then teams catch on, he hits a wall, and becomes the middling career backup he's always been. Great dude, and is good for spot starts, but isn't built to play 16 games and take a team to the playoffs. 

I agree. He is a good backup, which is exactly what you just described. 

Funny thing bout this, I actually think Petty has that quality, quick decisions, fast release and arm strength, he reminds me of Favre/Marino, gods honest truth. 

Comparing a 4th round afterthought qb to marino/favre.  Only a jets fan.

we will take a qb early in next years draft and let that guy battle it out with petty.  Prob keep fitz for a vetersn shoulder to lean on.

we will take a qb early in next years draft and let that guy battle it out with petty.  Prob keep fitz for a vetersn shoulder to lean on.

Okay, he was a 4th rounder, but he was not exactly an afterthought.  They traded up for him  It was only one spot, but it cost them a 7th.  They could have stayed put, grabbed Jamison Crowder and solved the punt return issues.

why.... a 6th rounder now has 4 SB's, Unitas had 180 people drafted in front of him.

Montana was a 3rd rounder I believe.

It happens....

Truth is, Macc has been great but his job up to this point has been fairly easy, spending money and filling holes. When it comes to finding a QB he's going to need to get a bit creative.  With two wins under our belt already I don't see us being bad enough to have a top pick for a QB and Petty should get a shot next year but is far from a sure thing.  I think we need to make a full court press at Glennon or Mettenberger in the offseason.  I'm not saying either one is the next Aaron Rodgers but they have showed that they can play on a pro level and win games AND are both young enough to be developed and stick around for a while.  I'm not trying to rehash the Glennon debate but this team spent a lot of money in the offseason brining in veteran "win now" guys like Revis, Marshall, Cro etc... The next move needs to be an aggressive one for that win now QB.

Looking at this list of QBs, some of them were drafted in the 1st round where they jets could be picking (mid-round), and others of them were drafted in lower rounds.  

It is not easy, but it is possible to find a franchise (or least quality) QB and not pick top 5.  

All that being said, i get the sense that teams are more willing to gamble with high picks on QBs with potential, and less willing to invest even 2nd or 3rd round picks in QBs who need development.

http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

I think the popular theory is it will expand into a red giant before losing energy and fading into white dwarf star. 

We'll be long gone before then, in all likelihood.  As George Carlin once said:

We’re going away. Pack your sh*t, folks. We’re going away. And we won’t leave much of a trace, either. Maybe a little Styrofoam … The planet’ll be here and we’ll be long gone. Just another failed mutation. Just another closed-end biological mistake. An evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet’ll shake us off like a bad case of fleas.

why.... a 6th rounder now has 4 SB's, Unitas had 180 people drafted in front of him.

Montana was a 3rd rounder I believe.

It happens....

it does happen and I hope it happens here.  But im not going to not address the position in nexts years because of him.  Take another guy in the 1st 3 rounds and lets have some options.

We'll be long gone before then, in all likelihood.  As George Carlin once said:

I always liked his bit about saving the planet.  "We don't have to save the planet; the planet has lasted for over 3 billion years and will be just fine.  It is the people that are ****ed." Lol.

Archived