After the dust settled

Jetster

I'm always ornery immediately after a loss but with a couple days to cool off I try to reevaluate where we are going into the next game. Honestly, I think we got the "keep the Eagles relevant ref crew", that's tough to overcome. Missing Ivory & Decker was a big blow, the step down from those 2 to Kerley, Bilal, Enunwa, Stacey, Smith is a big one.

We're one game away from getting out beast back in Sheldon, now I don't know of Mo was held all game (could of been the case), but he pulled his disappearing act, where now you see him, now you don't. Clearly Sheldon Richardson is our best Dlineman.

Winters scares the HELL OUT OF ME! I'm praying he can hold the fort. Beat the Fins, 3-1 heading into the bye, the return of Sheldon, Decker, Ivory, Colon get healthy, Smith gets more practice (stop killing the rook he missed most of camp), the defense will just get better. Shutting out Philly for a half isn't easy with the lead they had. I know they're not the Packers but they have talent.

Jets still could be 4-1 heading to Gillette, hopefully completely healthy. Our schedule is weak after the Pats, we could go on a roll with this defense  better each week. When Sheldon returns so will the run defense!

I'm always ornery immediately after a loss but with a couple days to cool off I try to reevaluate where we are going into the next game. Honestly, I think we got the "keep the Eagles relevant ref crew", that's tough to overcome. Missing Ivory & Decker was a big blow, the step down from those 2 to Kerley, Bilal, Enunwa, Stacey, Smith is a big one.

We're one game away from getting out beast back in Sheldon, now I don't know of Mo was held all game (could of been the case), but he pulled his disappearing act, where now you see him, now you don't. Clearly Sheldon Richardson is our best Dlineman.

Winters scares the HELL OUT OF ME! I'm praying he can hold the fort. Beat the Fins, 3-1 heading into the bye, the return of Sheldon, Decker, Ivory, Colon get healthy, Smith gets more practice (stop killing the rook he missed most of camp), the defense will just get better. Shutting out Philly for a half isn't easy with the lead they had. I know they're not the Packers but they have talent.

Jets still could be 4-1 heading to Gillette, hopefully completely healthy. Our schedule is weak after the Pats, we could go on a roll with this defense  better each week. When Sheldon returns so will the run defense!

How do you pull a disappearing act when you have 11 tackles and a sack from the DE position? 

Injuries arent an excuse.  Every team in the league deals with them and the Jets are far from the worst off right now (see Cowboys and Steelers).  That said, there is no doubt when the Jets are full strength they're going to look better but you cant pull the injury card unless you lose your starting QB, IMO.  Every team suffers injuries.

You're right though.  It's one loss and the Jets could easily win the next 2...as long as they stop playing so sloppy and getting off to slow starts! 

You have a vague point here. The ref's had some suspect calls in the eyes of Jets fans, but the refs was KILLING the Eagles during their last drive right before the "hands to the face" penalty on Coples that allowed them to knell to end the game. 

Even with all of the guys we had out we had opportunities in the 2nd half, especially the 4th qtr when the Jets defense recovered that fumble. This game came down to not capitalizing on opportunities in the 2nd half on offense, not having a good special teams and not having Sheldon Richardson. That first half with all of those missed tackles spoke volumes. 

Fitz getting the ball batted down and intercepted spoke volumes. 

I think the most disturbing trend for the Jets is their struggles running the ball against two mediocre front sevens in Indy and Philly. Powell is a good blocker but has zero acceleration and dances around too much. Stacy looks pedestrian. Even Ivory tends to be an unimaginative downhill runner who beats his way to yardage over the course of a game. That and the lack of a true TE restricts our offense, regardless of Fitz's struggles. That Fitz throws a lousy long ball just adds to the constriction. Run blocking is also a serious problem.

How do you pull a disappearing act when you have 11 tackles and a sack from the DE position? 

Injuries arent an excuse.  Every team in the league deals with them and the Jets are far from the worst off right now (see Cowboys and Steelers).  That said, there is no doubt when the Jets are full strength they're going to look better but you cant pull the injury card unless you lose your starting QB, IMO.  Every team suffers injuries.

You're right though.  It's one loss and the Jets could easily win the next 2...as long as they stop playing so sloppy and getting off to slow starts! 

And I am not killing the RBs.  They are not as good as Ivory (and Stacy looked slow) but ours was a line problem.  That is most concerning to me.  I love Ivory but I do not think he would have had a big game.  Decker is a different story, IMHO.  I think he could have made a difference.  I do not consider us to be in any injury trouble.

You guys are missing the point again.

Fitz is an average/below average QB. Brady, Rogers, Big Ben, Wilson, these guys can overcome injuries at RB, WR, but most times they can't overcome absolutely lousy officiating!

The teams of "destiny" in the NFL always get the benefit of the doubt. We couldn't sniff Bradford but sh*tty azz defenses were sacking him left & right, but all of sudden in 1 week the Eagles Oline turned into the Dallas Oline, opening holes, constantly getting the edge, which is REALLY DIFFICULT against a good D. Replays showed guys being grabbed & pulled EVERYWHERE! I watched the game at a Buffalo Wild Wings & an Eagles fan watched the game with us. Even he was commenting about the holding going on in replay like, "wow, I guess they're letting them play" and he couldn't believe the PF on Davis but the one he couldn't believe they got away with was the CB literally hanging off Marshall's shoulder in the endzone.

dont tell me it doesn't matter or that it didn't effect the game. Games in the NFL can turn on 1 f*cking play or bad call! I'm sorry but the Jets got JOBBED on Sunday & should never happen playing on your own turf.

You guys are missing the point again.

Fitz is an average/below average QB. Brady, Rogers, Big Ben, Wilson, these guys can overcome injuries at RB, WR, but most times they can't overcome absolutely lousy officiating!

The teams of "destiny" in the NFL always get the benefit of the doubt. We couldn't sniff Bradford but sh*tty azz defenses were sacking him left & right, but all of sudden in 1 week the Eagles Oline turned into the Dallas Oline, opening holes, constantly getting the edge, which is REALLY DIFFICULT against a good D. Replays showed guys being grabbed & pulled EVERYWHERE! I watched the game at a Buffalo Wild Wings & an Eagles fan watched the game with us. Even he was commenting about the holding going on in replay like, "wow, I guess they're letting them play" and he couldn't believe the PF on Davis but the one he couldn't believe they got away with was the CB literally hanging off Marshall's shoulder in the endzone.

dont tell me it doesn't matter or that it didn't effect the game. Games in the NFL can turn on 1 f*cking play or bad call! I'm sorry but the Jets got JOBBED on Sunday & should never happen playing on your own turf.

agreed. but apparently you're a better football fan if you make fun of people using penalties as an excuse. Maybe in a league that isn't fixed that might be true..

I think the most disturbing trend for the Jets is their struggles running the ball against two mediocre front sevens in Indy and Philly. Powell is a good blocker but has zero acceleration and dances around too much. Stacy looks pedestrian. Even Ivory tends to be an unimaginative downhill runner who beats his way to yardage over the course of a game. That and the lack of a true TE restricts our offense, regardless of Fitz's struggles. That Fitz throws a lousy long ball just adds to the constriction. Run blocking is also a serious problem.

agree 100%. The lack of a running game is extremely concerning. We keep hearing how the Jets will be dominating these weaker D's up front, but against both Indy and Philly our running game was very pedestrian.  I blame the OL over the RBs. Is it due to teams stacking the box and playing the run?

We had our chances at a speedy back..

1.  Could have at least tried to re-sign Harvin.

2.  Could have tried to sign Spiller

3.  Could have drafted someone.

I thought it was a huge mistake when Idzik didn't make a run at Darren Sproles. The Eagles landed him and look how that worked out... but we did get Chris Johnson. #ThanksIdzik

I thought it was a huge mistake when Idzik didn't make a run at Darren Sproles. The Eagles landed him and look how that worked out... but we did get Chris Johnson. #ThanksIdzik

We got Chris Johnson but never used him effectively. How many screen passes or draws did we call for him ??

We just lined him up in our G&P and Johnson got no ground and pounded.

We got Chris Johnson but never used him effectively. How many screen passes or draws did we call for him ??

last year was just a disaster all around, they force fed Johnson in the ruin game and we used Ivory too little b/c of it.  Johnson should have been our 3rd down back and ivory should have been getting at least 20 carries a game- a # he hit just once.

I thought that was how they would use him, but to be fair:

1. He looked like sh*t trying to catch the ball.  Very unnatural

2. Screens and draws are running plays that are effective when teams are playing the pass.  Nobody was concerned with our passing game, so we were not going to fool anybody.  It's like complaining that you don't do play action when you can't run the ball.

Everyone knows that what we want to run most of the time so they stack the box.  If you focus on the run and make Fitzpatrick throw way more than he needs to then that's not a good sign for us. A stacked box and a less than an a injured Ivory will not work for this team.    Miami will do the same to us on Sunday.

Decker makes a huge difference because in the slot he can get open quickly for the short passes that Fitz's arm is good for. It would be nice though if we can throw the ball to some big doofass called Tight End once in a while.

Everyone knows that what we want to run most of the time so they stack the box.  If you focus on the run and make Fitzpatrick throw way more than he needs to then that's not a good sign for us. A stacked box and a less than an a injured Ivory will not work for this team.    Miami will do the same to us on Sunday.

Decker makes a huge difference because in the slot he can get open quickly for the short passes that Fitz's arm is good for. It would be nice though if we can throw the ball to some big doofass called Tight End once in a while.

Also I'd like to add, when a team stacks the box, they'll usually bring their safeties up and leave the corners deep, so stacking the box also has the added benefit of making the short passing game harder, which is exactly how you defend against a team and Qb like ours. 

Yeah, boy do we really miss Jace Amaro. I know many here bitched about his hands , but at least he could catch and run with the ball. Did you see the catch by Cumberland on Sunday, he caught it made one move and fell down reminded me of Kyle Brady.

Archived