Jets expect Sheldon Richardson to return next week... as of now ~ ~ ~

kelly

-- Sheldon Richardson's four-game suspension ends Monday -- unless he's zapped by the NFL for additional discipline because of his July arrest.

New York Jets coach Todd Bowles said he hasn't received any updates from the league office, so he's operating under the premise that Richardson will be eligible to return as soon as they return home from playing the Miami Dolphinsin London. But Bowles carefully couched his remarks, knowing the situation could change at any moment.

On whether he expects Richardson to return next week: "As of right now, yes."

On whether he has received any word from the league on the possibility of additional discipline: "Not yet."

Richardson was suspended for violating the substance-abuse policy. Two weeks later, he was arrested near his home in St. Louis on a charge of resisting arrest, a misdemeanor. He allegedly refused to stop for police, driving 143 miles per hour with a child in the car. Police also smelled marijuana in the car, but were unable to charge him because they found no pot in the vehicle. They also discovered a gun in the car, but that didn't violate any laws in the state of Missouri.Nevertheless, the arrest is an apparent violation of the league's personal-conduct policy, which would mean another suspension. But the league might wait until the case is adjudicated before handing down a decision. Richardson has another court hearing scheduled for next Monday, but his attorney said there will be a 30-day continuance, according to N.J. Advance Media.

When he returns, Richardson won't walk back into a full-time role.

"He’s got to get in football shape," Bowles said. "You can’t put a guy out there like that that hasn’t been in pads full time and expect him to come in and play. Will he get some reps? Yeah, he’ll get a bunch of reps, but you’ve got to make sure he doesn’t get hurt as well."

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/54596/jets-expect-sheldon-richardson-to-return-next-week-as-of-now

He'll have two weeks to get into football shape...I have to believe he's been keeping himself in shape...the two weeks of "football shape" should be enough for him to play full-time.

Yeah, Richardson will be playing a significant role from the day he is activated. He played all training camp/pre-season. No reason to think he has fallen out of shape these last 3 weeks. 

He'll have two weeks to get into football shape...I have to believe he's been keeping himself in shape...the two weeks of "football shape" should be enough for him to play full-time.

Yeah, Richardson will be playing a significant role from the day he is activated. He played all training camp/pre-season. No reason to think he has fallen out of shape these last 3 weeks. 

Wait, you guys honesty think a bone headed burn out who doesnt give a sh*t about anything but himself is out there busting his ass to stay in shape?  haha

I hope you're right. 

He is genetically superior. Deal with it.

He's a freak and can probably be dominate completely out of shape.  But I laugh at the thought of this guy busting his ass over the last 4 weeks.  I just dont see it.  I see him burning down the house with his boys, playing Madden and eating Papa John's every day.

He's a freak and can probably be dominate completely out of shape.  But I laugh at the thought of this guy busting his ass over the last 4 weeks.  I just dont see it.  I see him burning down the house with his boys, playing Madden and eating Papa John's every day.

That's literally exactly how I spent every winter break in college.  #ParmeseanBreadsticks

Wait, you guys honesty think a bone headed burn out who doesnt give a sh*t about anything but himself is out there busting his ass to stay in shape?  haha

I hope you're right. 

i honestly think he'll be ready to beast from day 1. He looked great in preseason.  I also think he'll eventually get himself in trouble again because he's brain dead.  He is what he is.

— Defensive end Sheldon Richardson is eligible to come off suspension in exactly one week. While Richardson could still face additional discipline from the NFL because of a subsequent arrest, are the Jets are operating under the assumption he'll be re-joining them in seven days?

"As of right now, yes," head coach Todd Bowles said.

Richardson has a court hearing in St. Charles County, Mo., scheduled for next Monday. But his attorney, Matt Fry, told NJ Advance Media there will be a 30-day continuance because discovery and negotiations are still ongoing. That, of course, means there likely won't be any resolution to Richardson's case any time soon.Richardson, one of the Jets' best players, was suspended for the first four games of the regular season for violating the NFL's recreational drug policy. He had failed multiple tests for marijuana. The Jets play their fourth game on Sunday against the Dolphins in London, and next week they have a bye.

Two weeks after he was suspended, Richardson was charged with resisting arrest and traffic violations after police in St. Charles County, Mo., clocked him allegedly driving his Bentley 143 miles per hour with a loaded gun and a 12-year-old child among his three passengers. After police caught up with the car, all of the passengers allegedly smelled of marijuana.The gun was registered, and prosecutors decided there wasn't enough evidence to charge Richardson with endangering the welfare of a child or for anything marijuana-related.

Whether Richardson faces any additional discipline for the arrest—and when that discipline could be meted out—is entirely up to the league office, according to the terms of the NFL's personal conduct policy. An NFL spokesman would only say that Richardson's case was still pending. Given this latest delay—Richardson's legal team had already been granted a continuance in late August—it's starting to look like any added NFL punishment may not come until after this season.Bowles said he had "no idea" if the NFL would try to impose any more discipline before Richardson's return. Rookie Leonard Williams has started in Richardson's absence.

During his suspension, Richardson has been permitted to be at One Jets Drive to work out and to take part in meetings, though he has not been allowed to practice.Asked how Richardson would fit in once he's eligible again, Bowles said, "He's got to get football shape. You can't put a guy out there like that that hasn't been in pads full-time and expect him to come in and play. Will he get some reps? Yeah, he'll get a bunch or reps, but you've got to make sure that he doesn't get hurt, as well."The NFL's collective bargaining agreement mandates that players be given four consecutive days off during the bye week, so Richardson won't be able to practice consistently until the week of Oct. 12.

Bowles said Richardson would be able to get back into the swing of things "in short stints," which sounds like the plan would be to ease Richardson into the lineup once he can play again against Washington on Oct. 18.

>    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/09/jets_sheldon_richardsons_next_court_hearing_to_be.html#incart_river

I hope you're right. 

Say what you will about Sheldon, but, from what I've seen, he's been anything but lazy.

So we could have him back, with a game under his belt, by the time week 7 rolls around.  Awesome.  Been dreaming about the occasional Dline of the SoA + Williams.  May be the only way to slow down Brady this season.  Press cover and send the beasts at him.

i honestly think he'll be ready to beast from day 1. He looked great in preseason.  I also think he'll eventually get himself in trouble again because he's brain dead.  He is what he is.

Say what you will about Sheldon, but, from what I've seen, he's been anything but lazy.

You're probably right.  His attitude just makes me nervous.  I cant wait to see him on the field though.  He's a rare breed and a pleasure to watch. 

I sure hope the league doesn't wait until the last minute and then suspend  him for another few games, that would totally suck.  Maybe after getting his ass handed to him by Brady, Goodell will want to take a low profile and let this pass.....for now and suspend him a few games next season. 

You're probably right.  His attitude just makes me nervous.  I cant wait to see him on the field though.  He's a rare breed and a pleasure to watch. 

Agree on all accounts. I'm a bit nervous about his attitude, too, but I tingle all over when I fantasize about his return to the field with this defense. If only Coples had half of Sheldon's drive and determination on the field.

I do have a fear that we may not see him at all this season, but, if we don't, at least we can blame Idzik.

Agree on all accounts. I'm a bit nervous about his attitude, too, but I tingle all over when I fantasize about his return to the field with this defense. If only Coples had half of Sheldon's drive and determination on the field.

I do have a fear that we may not see him at all this season, but, if we don't, at least we can blame Idzik.

After the Brady fiasco no way Jet linemen matter..

I sure hope the league doesn't wait until the last minute and then suspend  him for another few games, that would totally suck.  Maybe after getting his ass handed to him by Brady, Goodell will want to take a low profile and let this pass.....for now and suspend him a few games next season. 

Yup.  Given the news that there will be a 30 day continuance after Monday's court date, doesn't seem like the NFL will have any additional info than they've had for months already.  So springing a last minute suspension wouldn't make sense (and also be a d!ick move).

The timing is good too.  He'll be able to resume team activities after Sunday, right?  So 2 weeks of hitting some hard conditioning before the Washington game...which is good timing because they are running the ball pretty well.

And cant he just say, "the CBA doesnt spell out the discipline for a man driving 140, fleeing the cops in a weed smell filled car with a loaded weapon and a 12 year old"? 

Worked for someone else. 

The timing is good too.  He'll be able to resume team activities after Sunday, right?  So 2 weeks of hitting some hard conditioning before the Washington game...which is good timing because they are running the ball pretty well.

And cant he just say, "the CBA doesnt spell out the discipline for a man driving 140, fleeing the cops in a weed smell filled car with a loaded weapon and a 12 year old"? 

Worked for someone else. 

True. It's perfect timing for him with the bye week. And that's on point about the CBA. Besides, he was only charged with resisting arrest. There was no pot, the gun was legal, and there are no charges concerning the child. It's one of those situations that looks worse in the public eye than it does in the law's eye.

Although, I have no idea if there is anything specific in the CBA about resisting arrest. Nothing surprises in this world anymore. Anything is possible.

Worked for someone else. 

He is being charged with speeding and resisting arrest.. Anyone remember some of the stuff Randy Moss did??

1995 - After signing a letter of intent to play his college football at Notre Dame, Moss took part in a racially-motivated fight at his high school in Belle, West Virginia. Moss pled guilty to battery and received probation and a 30-day suspended jail sentence. Because of the incident, Notre Dame revoked his scholarship.

1996 - While serving a 30-day jail sentence related to the previous incident, Moss tested positive for marijuana, violating his probation.

He was released from the Florida State football program and served 60 extra days in jail for the probation violation.

2000 - In January, Moss was fined $25,000 for squirting an official with a water bottle. In November he was fined another $25,000 for touching an official.

2001 - Moss was fined $15,000 by the Vikings and required to receive anger management counseling for verbally abusing corporate sponsors on the team bus following a loss in November.

2001 - When questioned about his propensity to take plays off at times, Moss caused a stir by telling a Minneapolis newspaper columnist that he simply plays when he wants to play.

2002 - Moss was arrested after an incident in downtown Minneapolis in which he bumped a traffic control officer with his car, knocking her to the ground. He was ordered to pay a $1,200 fine and perform 40 hours of community service. Marijuana was allegedly found in his vehicle as well, but charges were later dropped.

2003 - The NFL fined Moss $5,000 for his role in a fight with the Chicago Bears during a September game.

In November, he was fined another $5,000 for spiking a ball at the foot of Detroit Lions cornerback Dre' Bly.

2004 - Moss was fined $10,000 by the NFL after an end-zone celebration in which he pretended to pull down his pants and "moon" Green Bay Packers fans.

2004 - Moss also made negative news in 2004 for leaving the field with two seconds left in a loss to the Washington Redskins. Team leaders Matt Birk and Daunte Culpepper confronted Moss in the locker room after the game.

2005 - During HBO's "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel", Moss caused a bit of an uproar when he admitted he "might" still partake in the use of marijuana once "every blue moon".

Can you get suspended for a reckless driving ticket?  It's probably all Sheldon will end up pleading guilty to, pay a fine take a suspended license for some extent, and it will be all over.  Yes what actually happened sounds, and was way worse, but if the outcome is what I predict I can't see this being grounds for suspension.

Archived