Jets expect Sheldon Richardson to return next week... as of now ~ ~ ~

kelly

The next challenge for Jets coach Todd Bowles is going to be integrating defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson back into the defense when he returns from suspension next week.The Jets have managed the three games without Richardson pretty well. Rookie Leonard Williams has not been perfect, but he’s shown improvement each week. Now, Bowles is going to have to balance keeping Williams in the game enough for that to continue and adding Richardson to the defense.

Bowles cautioned Monday the Jets can’t expect too much too soon from Richardson.

“He’s got to get in football shape,” Bowles said. “You can’t put a guy out there like that that hasn’t been in pads full time and expect him to come in and play. Will he get some reps? Yeah, he’ll get a bunch of reps, but you’ve got to make sure he doesn’t get hurt as well.”The Jets’ run defense has not been great the past two weeks. The Eagles rushed for 123 yards on the Jets last week. Richardson will help in that department, but it will be interesting to see how the four-game suspension has affected him. Will Richardson need weeks to shake off the rust?

“I think he can do it in short stints,” Bowles said. “I don’t think everybody can do it. I don’t think he can stand out there for a 10- or 12-[play] drive and say, ‘I’m back.’ That’s all relative to who the guy is.”The NFL has not issued any additional discipline to Richardson for his July arrest, and the Jets expect Richardson will be able to return to practice Monday and play Oct. 18 against the Redskins. He may be facing another suspension next year.

Bowles has a reputation for being a defensive genius. If he figures out a way to play Richardson, Williams, Muhammad Wilkerson and Damon Harrison at the same time and remain true to his 3-4 defense, he will have earned the label.

>   http://nypost.com/2015/09/29/sheldon-richardson-will-test-todd-bowles-defensive-genius/

The New York Jets are expecting Sheldon Richardson to rejoin the team this coming Monday, after his suspension is up. They have not been informed by the NFL of any additional sentence, so it doesn't seem like there will be any issues relating to his arrest, at least not for now.

One thing that will be interesting to watch is how Todd Bowles works Richardson back into the defensive line. Obviously, Richardson is a star and a full-time starter, and he won't be replacing Muhammad Wilkerson. However, as Leonard Williams gets more snaps, he's likely to keep getting better and better. So you're risking slowing down his development by bringing in Richardson over him. At least in the beginning, as Richardson gets back into football shape, that won't be much of a concern. It's unlikely Richardson will come back and immediately be able to play a full game.

So one thing to keep an eye on is how they rotate the line. Will they put three defensive ends in Wilkerson, Richardson, and Williams on the line? Will they keep Damon Harrison out there? It seems likely that we'll see more 4-3 looks, just to get as much talent as you can out on the field. It's also going to be worth keeping an eye on how the run defense improves with Richardson's return, as they've somewhat struggled in that aspect thus far.

What do you think  ?

How would you rotate the defensive line once Richardson returns  ?

>     http://www.ganggreennation.com/2015/9/30/9427019/bringing-sheldon-richardson-into-the-rotation

-- A Missouri judge has continued until next month the criminal case against New York Jets defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson, accused of resisting arrest and traffic counts for a summer police chase in suburban St. Louis.

A court hearing was canceled Monday. Richardson was not there. St. Charles County Associate Circuit Judge Norman Steimel III continued the case until Nov. 9.Richardson sat out the first four games this season as part of a suspension for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy.

The former University of Missouri star lives in O'Fallon, Missouri, in the offseason. He was arrested July 14 after allegedly driving his 2014 Bentley up to 143 mph with a 12-year-old relative in the car.Officers allegedly found a loaded handgun under a floor mat and detected a marijuana odor.

>    http://espn.go.com/newyork/nfl/story/_/id/13815267/sheldon-richardson-newyork-jets-continuation-missouri-court-case

The New York Jets' stout defense will be adding "an extra weapon" after the upcoming bye week when Sheldon Richardson returns from a four-game suspension.

Coach Todd Bowles did not say if the Pro Bowl defensive lineman will return to his starting role. However, Bowles insisted there won't be any issues mixing Richardson back in with Muhammad Wilkerson and Leonard Williams working well together thus far starting alongside nose tackle Damon Harrison."[Richardson] gives us an extra weapon, extra depth down there," Bowles said on a conference call on Monday with reporters. "To me, he is a Pro Bowl player, he's a heckuva player. Get him back in football shape and get him in the rotation and keep moving forward."Richardson completed a four-game suspension on Sunday for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. There's the possibility for further discipline due to his arrest in Missouri during the offseason. However, a St. Charles County judge postponed Richardson's hearing on charges until Nov. 9 at the request of Richardson's attorney.

The former University of Missouri standout, 24, was arrested on July 14 after a car chase in which police said Richardson was speeding with a 12-year-old relative and two other men inside a car. Police said Richardson appeared to be racing with another car and that they discovered a loaded handgun and a "very strong odor of burned marijuana" in the vehicle. Richardson pleaded not guilty to five misdemeanor charges.Bowles said the Jets have not been given any indication yet on whether Richardson will be disciplined for violating the league's conduct policy.The Jets improved to 3-1 on Sunday with a 27-14 win over the Dolphins in London.

Bowles' defense harassed Ryan Tannehill into 19-of-44 passing for 198 yards. The Dolphins quarterback had two touchdowns but was intercepted twice and sacked three times. Miami was held to 226 yards of total offense.And now Bowles is eager to add Richardson to a defense that has already forced 13 turnovers. The defensive end had 8 sacks last season."You don't have a challenge finding places for good players to play," Bowles said when asked if it will be difficult incorporating Richardson with how well Wilkerson and Williams are playing. "You just play him."

Richardson's first game back will be against the Washington Redskins on Oct. 18. The defensive end could potentially start, especially if Williams is unable to play. The team's first-round pick has an ankle injury and Bowles is unsure whether he or any of the team's injured players will be ready to play after the bye week."We are obviously happy to have him [back]," quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick said of Richardson. "... I know he is a great player. It was tough all offseason going up against our defense [with him in practice]. So it is nice to see them bully somebody else for a change."

>    http://espn.go.com/newyork/nfl/story/_/id/13817657/returning-sheldon-richardson-gives-newyork-jets-extra-weapon-coach-todd-bowles-says

When the Jets return to the practice field next week, they will have a nice addition. Defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson’s four-game suspension is over.

Richardson’s suspension for violating the league’s drug policy ended Monday. The Jets have a roster exemption that gives them about a week to make a roster move to add Richardson, coach Todd Bowles said.“It gives us an extra weapon, extra depth down there,” Bowles said. “He’s a Pro Bowl player. He’s a heck of a player. We’ve got to get him back in football shape and get him in the rotation and keep moving forward.”

Richardson still faces charges in Missouri for resisting arrest and traffic violations for his July arrest when he was clocked doing 143 mph. He was scheduled to have a pre-trial hearing Monday, but that was delayed until Nov. 9 at his attorney’s request.The NFL has not given Richardson any additional discipline. That may not come until next year if the league waits for his case to be adjudicated.

Bowles said he is not worried about incorporating Richardson into the defensive-line rotation despite strong starts from Muhammad Wilkerson and Leonard Williams.“No, you don’t have a challenge finding places for good players to play,” Bowles said. “You just play him.”

rest of above article :

>    http://nypost.com/2015/10/05/jets-sheldon-richardson-back-from-pot-exile-for-how-long/?ref=yfp

Jets star Sheldon Richardson learns a hard lesson: Everybody is replaceable

A look at what's going on around the New York Jets, the bye-week version :

1. Slice of humble pie: Sheldon Richardson will practice Monday for the first time since his four-game drug suspension ended, and the hope within the organization is that he learned some humility during his absence. Any person who has read Richardson's quotes over the past two years knows he has a high opinion of himself. No doubt, he's a terrific talent, but the Jets proved during his suspension that no single player is greater than the team. Not only did they survive his suspension, but they thrived, soaring to the top of the defensive rankings (No. 1 in scoring defense, No. 3 in yards allowed). It sounded like coachspeak when Todd Bowles said in July, "We're prepared to win without him," but he turned out to be right. The Jets experienced life sans Richardson, and it wasn't terrible, thanks to solid work by rookie Leonard Williams. For Richardson's sake, you hope it registers.

rest of above article :

http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/54876/jets-star-sheldon-richardson-learns-a-hard-lesson-everybody-is-replaceable

-- Defensive end Sheldon Richardson, reinstated Monday after a four-game marijuana suspension, will make his 2015 debut Sunday against the Washington Redskins. A sampling of what his coaches and teammates were saying about his return:

Damon Harrison, nose tackle: "He's a Pro Bowler. You add a Pro Bowler to any group, man ... it's a wait-and-see, but I'm willing to bet on the good side of it. The name speaks for itself. His play speaks for itself. Just to have his presence, we're good."

Muhammad Wilkerson, defensive end: "It's only going to help us. Can't hurt us. It might hurt the opposing team, but it can only help us and make us better."

Darrelle Revis, cornerback: "We've got another playmaker who can make plays for us. I'm excited to have him back. I can't wait to see him in action."

Todd Bowles, coach: "He's a good football player. Anytime you add a good football player and you put him on the field and let him play, you don't have to do much for him. He makes his own plays. I think that'll be the case when he gets into shape."

Pepper Johnson, defensive-line coach, on his expectations: "I don't know. Until he gets back, until he gets out there and plays, I don't know. ... (He's) eager. I know it's been painful that he can go to meetings (and not practice). He's been quiet and he's trying to be a professional."

Richardson on Bowles' message to him: "He said, 'We've got a new guy back.' I don't know how you get a new guy back, but we got a new guy. Other than that, he just told me be ready. Just be ready. Whatever that means, I’m ready."

>    http://espn.go.com/blog/newyork-jets/post/_/id/54929/jets-already-stout-defense-welcomes-a-new-guy-back

-- After serving a four-game league suspension for marijuana violations, Pro Bowl defensive end Sheldon Richardson rejoined the New York Jets on Monday, vowing to upgrade their already stacked defensive line.

"I'm coming," said Richardson, repeating what he has told his linemates. "I'm coming to eat, too."

The Jets (3-1) did just fine without Richardson's all-around play, establishing themselves as one of the better defensive teams. They're ranked No. 1 in scoring defense and No. 2 in yards allowed, getting solid play from Richardson's replacement, first-round pick Leonard Williams.

The group also includes former first-round pick Muhammad Wilkerson, who has a team-high 3.5 sacks, and well-respected nose tackle Damon Harrison."No breaks for quarterbacks," said Richardson, who practiced for the first time since the preseason and will make his 2015 debut Sunday against the Washington Redskins.Coach Todd Bowles said he won't decide Richardson's role until later in the week. He didn't dismiss the possibility of Richardson starting, although it sounds like his snaps will be limited as he works his way back into football shape.Richardson worked out and attended meetings during the suspension, but he was prohibited from practicing with the team.

Bowles said the goal is to "get him into shape first, let him run around, get his wind and his football legs under him. Game plan-wise, we'll have to see how it goes later in the week."Richardson learned of the suspension in early July. During the preseason, he was used primarily as a backup, watching Williams -- the sixth overall pick -- perform in his old position. Now the trick is to figure out a way to maintain harmony on a crowded and talented defensive line."We've got some good defensive linemen, and they're all going to play," Bowles said. "We've got a lot of depth at that position."Richardson is facing the possibility of another suspension, but he doesn't believe that will happen this season. In mid-July, he was charged with resisting arrest -- a misdemeanor -- for leading police on a high-speed chase near his home in Missouri. He was clocked at 143 mph, and there was a child in the car, along with the smell of marijuana, police said.

A hearing date was recently postponed until next month.

"When that got postponed, I kind of figured I'd be in for this season," Richardson said. "But it could be tacked on next year, so we'll see."Team officials, disappointed by the suspension and arrest, have talked openly about how Richardson has to regain their trust. He shrugged when asked if he has accomplished that."I have no idea," Richardson said. "I'm going to be myself, a happy-go-lucky guy who dominates on the field. As far as trust goes, you know how this business works, so who knows?"By rule, Richardson land a four-game ban by committing at least three marijuana violations in his first two seasons. Bowles said it's too soon to say if Richardson has learned a lesson.

"I wish I could answer that question for you," Bowles said. "I see him in the building and I don't see anything [wrong]. He's kept his mouth clean and his nose clean. It's an ongoing process. I don't think you learn a lesson in a month or so. It's an ongoing deal that will be answered later in life."

>   http://espn.go.com/newyork/nfl/story/_/id/13873425/sheldon-richardson-rejoins-newyork-jets-says-coming-eat

The last time that Sheldon Richardson stood before the media in a setting like this, the New York Jets third-year star defensive end said all the right things. Training camp was to start the very next day and Richardson spoke for the first time about his league-mandated four-game suspension for substance abuse. He sounded all the right notes then as he did today.

But as we all know, his talk was cheap then and it remains so now until he steps up and starts doing what he’s saying.

He talked then, 10 weeks ago, about not letting his offseason infraction define him, how he had let down his family and infamously stated: “I ain’t no dope fiend.”Literally an hour later, news came out of a July arrest near Richardson’s home. In this incident unrelated to his suspension, marijuana was found in the car he drove, a car coincidentally which led police in a high-speed police chase. All this was done with a minor in the back seat.His comments that July day rang hollow in light of the news that was leaking out. This news, of course, coming just an hour after Richardson had vowed publicly to be a better man when asked about his original four-game suspension. 

Monday he returned to practice after spending the last four weeks away from the fields with his teammates. The Jets are 3-1 and off to a strong start during his suspension, his return will be a welcome boon to the league’s best defense. He admits to a “rust factor” but physically, he can and will get back to being one of the league’s most dominant pass rushers.

But that isn’t the concern about this player.

Richardson is not the first professional athlete to lead a lifestyle that saw him tip-toe along the line and then tip over. But now he has a chance to pick himself up, dust himself over and focus on being the best man he can be.“It challenged me mentally more than physically,” Richardson said on Monday. “Other than that, I have my own issues to deal with so I was just really focusing on that and just cheering on my teammates from behind the scenes.” The key to this young man’s successful return to the NFL has little to do with what he’ll do this Sunday afternoon at MetLife Stadium and everything with what he does when he isn’t in helmet and pads. For three hours a week, Richardson follows orders from coaches, from teammates. Every eye is on him for those three hours of the game.But when the lights turn to black, it is there that Richardson must make the important calls, not in the game of football but in the game of life. 

No amount of soundbites and anecdotes will be the answer for Richardson’s struggles, for the snare that so easily entraps. He isn’t the first baller to love to party, to enjoy a dalliance with fame, fortune and everything that goes with it. But he can be one of the few, truly elite, who decides it is better to be a man of conviction than a person of interest.In his choices over this past year and perhaps longer, Richardson showed the same penchant for sensationalism that has made him an NFL star. On the field, he is an unpredictable maverick, pulling out double moves and stunts that blow past guards and tackles, getting him into the backfield at a rate that made him a Pro Bowl selection this last season. But it must now be his backbone, his desire to turn his back on a lifestyle that will only take away from his natural giftings, that must now step forward.

For as good as Richardson was on Monday in resolutely standing up, acknowledging that he must be a different man now that the four-game suspension is over, the far more difficult task is ahead. And it will take place away from the microphones, the recorders and the lights of the cameras gathered around his locker on Monday.He already had a chance this offseason to turn his life around and he chose not to. A high-speed police chase, the presence of marijuana and a firearm in his car all point to someone who will have to learn the hard way. Richardson is a good kid, a liability perhaps based on the past few months, but a good kid with a big heart. He can overcome this thing. 

He’ll just have to decide he wants to. Perhaps time away from a game he loves so much will show him just how much he stands to lose if he doesn’t start making the right choices off the field as well as on it.“Yeah, it was strange. Once again, that was something mentally I had to deal with. Going from team MVP to not playing, so that was a lot,” Richardson said. “Pro Bowl season to not playing, that was a lot to deal with. Down on myself, but I’m alright now; just deal with it one day at a time.”

>    http://www.metro.us/sports/kristian-dyer-sheldon-richardson-must-make-right-calls-in-game-of-life/zsJojl---ViS5ht3m0lSk/

Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer 

For what it's worth: DE Sheldon Richardson is listed as the backup to rookie Leonard Williams on the Jets' updated depth chart for the media. It's hardly a surprise, considering Williams is coming off his best game and Richardson is returning from a four-game marijuana suspension. This doesn't preclude them from starting Richardson on Sunday, but it looks like he'll be eased into a full-time role.

>   http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyj/newyork-jets

Archived