Deep Trouble for Jets, Fitzpatrick

JetNation

By Glenn Naughton   Chan Gailey said it in his pre-game press conference, and JetNation.com brought it up in our key matchups in the days leading up to the Jets/Eagles tilt at MetLife Stadium.  Unlike their first two opponents, the Browns and Colts, the Eagles would field an active front seven that’s able to put pressure on […]

Click here to read the full story...

By Glenn Naughton

Chan Gailey said it in his pre-game press conference, and JetNation.com brought it up in our key matchups in the days leading up to the Jets/Eagles tilt at MetLife Stadium.  Unlike their first two opponents, the Browns and Colts, the Eagles would field an active front seven that’s able to put pressure on opposing quarterbacks which is often key in creating turnovers (See Jets vs. Colts last Monday).

If the Jets were going to win their game this past Sunday after falling behind 24-0, they were going to need some big throws from quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, but that wasn’t to be.

A diving catch from Jeremy Kerley was among the few highlights for Gang Green.

A diving catch from Jeremy Kerley was among the few highlights for Gang Green.

Fitzpatrick’s struggles were somewhat surprising based on his success throwing the deep ball last season when he held the leagues second-best deep accuracy rate behind only Matt Ryan.  According to statistical web site PFF.com, when Fitzpatrick threw it long last year, he was on target on 20 of 38 attempts, a 52.6% accuracy rate.  In the early going this season however, it’s been a much different story as Fitzpatrick is ranked 26th in the NFL, going 3-20 when looking for a big gain, a mere 15%.

With this being the case, we’re left wondering if it was this year or last that was the anomaly.  Over the course of the season we’ll find out as he and Chan Gailey are unlikely to reel it in after a few rough games, but if there’s not some moderate improvement at the very least, the Jets could find themselves in trouble more often that they’d like.

Should Fitzpatrick continue to misfire on throws deep down field, teams will undoubtedly crowd the line of scrimmage to shut down running back Chris Ivory while only respecting short to intermediate routes.  This is what the Eagles were able to do this Sunday, and the result was a staggering 58 pass attempts from Ryan, many of which were off-target down the field, often underthrown.

Quincy Enunwa hauled in five passes from Fitzpatrick.

Quincy Enunwa hauled in five passes from Fitzpatrick.

While some fans are ready to hit the panic button, screaming for the strong-armed Geno Smith, it’s worth nothing that Smith himself was among the worst quarterback in the NFL last season when airing it out. From a JetNation.com articleearlier this off-season, Geno’s ability to throw the deep ball was listed as a major concern:

4) Deep Ball Struggles

Utilizing PFF data once again for this category, Smith threw only 45 passes that traveled 20 yards or more through the air, tying him for last in the NFL with Kyle Orton of the Bills, so you can’t ignore the fact that Smith still led the NFL in interceptions on deep passes with eight.

Completing just 31% of those passes puts Smith ahead of only Blake Bortles and Derek Carr in terms of deep ball accuracy, whereas Fitzpatrick, his projected back-up, ranked second in the NFL behind only Matt Ryan with a 52.6% completion percentage while throwing 6 TD’s and 3 INT’s to Smith’s 5 TD’s and 8 INT’s.

Smith’s struggles in throwing the ball down field was a key this season as the Jets lost several games by a touchdown or less.

In a pair of home losses to the division rival Dolphins and Patriots by 3 and 1 point respectively, poorly thrown would-be touchdowns cost the Jets valuable points.

If Smith is going to be a successful NFL quarterback, he’s going to have to become a more accurate passer when his receivers beat coverage down the field.

Even if Smith’s numbers were more respectable, Head Coach Todd Bowles was crystal clear in his post game press conference when asked if Geno Smith had any chance to climb the depth chart and take the starting role.  Without hesitation Bowles answered “Ryan’s our starter” and gave his quarterback a vote of confidence.  A harsh reality for those fans in Geno’s corner, but a sound decision from a coach who isn’t going to allow himself to be swayed by a single poor outing.

All things considered, Fitzpatrick still has to start  hitting his receivers for a few “chunk” plays to keep defenses honest and to avoid his lack of deep accuracy, to deep-six the offense.

Just as we all knew.  Fitz remains the better option.  But he'll have to improve his play to keep his job.  Business as usual for a journeyman starter.

I don't think he's the better option based solely on his obvious physical limitations. 

Teams can stack 8 in the box to stuff the run and challenge him to throw medium range out patterns which he doesn't have the requisite arm strength to complete on a consistent basis. 

This year was supposed to be about finding out if Geno could be the guy with weapons. We ain't winning a Super Bowl with Fitz so what are we ******* around for?

Make Geno the starter. If he sucks you bench him and go back to Fitz or give Petty a shot. If he's good you finally got a ******* QB. 

This isn't rocket science. 

I don't think he's the better option based solely on his obvious physical limitations. 

Teams can stack 8 in the box to stuff the run and challenge him to throw medium range out patterns which he doesn't have the requisite arm strength to complete on a consistent basis. 

This year was supposed to be about finding out if Geno could be the guy with weapons. We ain't winning a Super Bowl with Fitz so what are we ******* around for?

Make Geno the starter. If he sucks you bench him and go back to Fitz or give Petty a shot. If he's good you finally got a ******* QB. 

Take them to church Klecko!

Better option? LMFAO 

usually, that's how it works.  The Bengals start Andydalton, not because he's amazing or future hall of famer, but because he's the "better option. "

unfortunately our version is RYan Fitzpatrick. I don't love him but he's  ok. When we play well,  he's good enough towin.  When we struggle (no ground game, no decker,  give up special teams td) he isn't good enough to overcome it.  

What's surprising is that most posters here don't understand that and were expecting fitz to play like brady.  

usually, that's how it works.  The Bengals start Andydalton, not because he's amazing or future hall of famer, but because he's the "better option. "

unfortunately our version is RYan Fitzpatrick. I don't love him but he's  ok. When we play well,  he's good enough towin.  When we struggle (no ground game, no decker,  give up special teams td) he isn't good enough to overcome it.  

What's surprising is that most posters here don't understand that and were expecting fitz to play like brady.  

No we expected Fitz to play smart and not turn the ball over. The fact that he cant throw the deep ball or scramble is a major concern. He threw the ball 58 times and only had 300 yards that = garbage. 

The guy has never had a winning record in his career, how is he "good enough to win"?  Facts are facts could you imagine what the Jets record would have been in 2013 with Fitz at QB, and some how the sh*tty Smith went 8-8 with that dog sh*t roster in his rookie year when he had zero business even taking 1 NFL snap that year.

what is surprising to me is that some posters are ok going 8-8 at best, but if we take the level of success Fitz has had over the last 11 years probably more like 6-10.  And don't give me but we started 2-0, it's the 3rd time in his career he started 2-0 to only win no more than 6 games the previous 2 times.

i want to puke at the thought of a 16 game season of Ryan Fitzpatrick!

The guy has never had a winning record in his career, how is he "good enough to win"?  Facts are facts could you imagine what the Jets record would have been in 2013 with Fitz at QB, and some how the sh*tty Smith went 8-8 with that dog sh*t roster in his rookie year when he had zero business even taking 1 NFL snap that year.

what is surprising to me is that some posters are ok going 8-8 at best, but if we take the level of success Fitz has had over the last 11 years probably more like 6-10.  And don't give me but we started 2-0, it's the 3rd time in his career he started 2-0 to only win no more than 6 games the previous 2 times.

Agreed, no idea why the Jets didn't try to trade for aaron rodgers in the off season.   

sorry bro , most people feel Geno is an even worse option

No we expected Fitz to play smart and not turn the ball over. The fact that he cant throw the deep ball or scramble is a major concern. He threw the ball 58 times and only had 300 yards that = garbage. 

he plays smart but when he is asked to bring a team back from a 24-0 hole he will be exposed every time. 

I wish we had better qb options but we don't.  So between fitz and Geno one of them has to step up,  unfortunately Geno pissed off the wrong guy and we were down to fitz or a raw rookie.  

To whine about fitz is just childish. We have no better options.  Could Geno take over at some point and do better? Maybe, but we've seen him be far worse.  Zero chance Geno orchestrates that late td drive against the Colts.  

Agreed, no idea why the Jets didn't try to trade for aaron rodgers in the off season.   

No the real blame here is on ******* Woody for not doing the right thing by firing Rex mid season, and ordering Idzik to promote a patsy that would put certain veteran players on IR, and force the interim HC to play all of his sh*tty draft picks, and dumping the ******* season the right way for Mariota like a real NFL franchise knows, just go look at the Bears right now, they are doing it right.  Instead we trad for ******* Harvin?  Decker should have been put on IR, and forced Vick to play out the rest of the season starting.  Problem solved, but nooooooo Woody let his respect of Rex get in the way for what would have been the greater good of the franchise.

Macc did an amazing job turning a team with limited talent (most of which is in the DL) into a team with good talent and reasonable depth.  And, he did it all in one off season.  But let's face it, there are still some holes, gaps, and issues.  If neither Geno nor Petty are our future, we are going to have to make some tough decisions this off season.  It is just to hard to win the SB without at least a top 15 QB.  I also doubt that the Jets and Wilkerson will agree to a long term deal.  We have to have a franchise QB.

That being said, if you aren't willing to suck for 'franchise QB', then I think that Fitz with all of his warts gives you the best chance to put out a team that can compete with most teams in the league.  You have to win enough games to support your rookie head coach and get the players to buy into his schemes and approach.  The question isn't whether Fitz is the future (we all know he is not), but who is the best player to lead at this point.

He is who we have.  For better or worse.  Long ball or not, we need to find a way to win with him.  Will Geno get his chance, probably, but for right now (at least the next game) Fitz is the guy.  

Macc did an amazing job turning a team with limited talent (most of which is in the DL) into a team with good talent and reasonable depth.  And, he did it all in one off season.  But let's face it, there are still some holes, gaps, and issues.  If neither Geno nor Petty are our future, we are going to have to make some tough decisions this off season.  It is just to hard to win the SB without at least a top 15 QB.  I also doubt that the Jets and Wilkerson will agree to a long term deal.  We have to have a franchise QB.

That being said, if you aren't willing to suck for 'franchise QB', then I think that Fitz with all of his warts gives you the best chance to put out a team that can compete with most teams in the league.  You have to win enough games to support your rookie head coach and get the players to buy into his schemes and approach.  The question isn't whether Fitz is the future (we all know he is not), but who is the best player to lead at this point.

He is who we have.  For better or worse.  Long ball or not, we need to find a way to win with him.  Will Geno get his chance, probably, but for right now (at least the next game) Fitz is the guy.  

6, that's the number.  6!  What does that mean?  The most wins Fitz has ever had in a season in 11 seasons, so how is that the best option for our rookie HC to compete with other teams, and win ENOUGH games?  The last 2 times Fitz started 2-0 his combined record the rest of those 2 seasons was 8-20 so don't give me, but he started us at 2-0 (he did sh*t the D generated 10 take aways, Fitz had zero to do with those wins, Todd Heaps could have won those games).

6, that's the number.  6!  What does that mean?  The most wins Fitz has ever had in a season in 11 seasons, so how is that the best option for our rookie HC to compete with other teams, and win ENOUGH games?  The last 2 times Fitz started 2-0 his combined record the rest of those 2 seasons was 8-20 so don't give me, but he started us at 2-0 (he did sh*t the D generated 10 take aways, Fitz had zero to do with those wins, Todd Heaps could have won those games).

I didn't say anything about 2-0; But, I think with this defense, he can win 8-10 games this year.  Geno won how many games last year?  Granted with a weaker team and a weaker coach.  Nobody knows for sure, but if past performance is any indication, we are screwed either way.  Still, with only 6 wins, I still think Fitz is our best shot.  Buffalo ate Geno's lunch last year and look how good their D looks this year.

As for the 10 take aways, you are probably right, he didn't win those games for us, but he didn't loose them either.  Not sure why you are so angry about this unless you are related to Geno.  IMO I have seen enough of Geno to conclude he isn't our guy.  Clearly you think differently...

I didn't say anything about 2-0; But, I think with this defense, he can win 8-10 games this year.  Geno won how many games last year?  Granted with a weaker team and a weaker coach.  Nobody knows for sure, but if past performance is any indication, we are screwed either way.  Still, with only 6 wins, I still think Fitz is our best shot.  Buffalo ate Geno's lunch last year and look how good their D looks this year.

As for the 10 take aways, you are probably right, he didn't win those games for us, but he didn't loose them either.  Not sure why you are so angry about this unless you are related to Geno.  IMO I have seen enough of Geno to conclude he isn't our guy.  Clearly you think differently...

I'm not saying Geno is our guy, I don't really like him, BUT I know Fitzpatrick ISN'T our guy, and never has been any teams guy successfully in his career so let's give Geno his last shot.

It's not rocket science, you are correct.  If you don't already know Geno Smith is not the guy........

I'd be more in favor of cutting Smith and bringing Flynn in to be the backup (not that I am suggesting that) over starting Smith.

You watched Geno for 2 years and are sure he's not our guy. Fitz has done the same sh*te for 11 freaking years and we want to give him more rope. Just answer this question how many average to good QB's have played for 6 different teams ???

he is going to get his 3rd win in week 4 hommie, on his way to breaking his all time mark of 6 wins in a season :)

You watched Geno for 2 years and are sure he's not our guy. Fitz has done the same sh*te for 11 freaking years and we want to give him more rope. Just answer this question how many average to good QB's have played for 6 different teams ???

I don't think Fitz is the guy either.  Just think that between the two, Fitz is my choice.  That's it.  Fitz biggest problem is arm strength. I would hope Gailey can try and work and game plan around it better.  Is he going to bring us back from 24-0 against a good D, no.  But, he is smart and accurate.  If you want to build a team around this offense, you want someone who can run it better.

Geno is by far the better athlete with the better arm.  He can sometimes win games with his athleticism, but he can often loose games with his inability to read a defense.  I would prefer another option, but we don't have one.

Fitzpatrick’s struggles were somewhat surprising based on his success throwing the deep ball last season when he held the leagues second-best deep accuracy rate behind only Matt Ryan.  According to statistical web site PFF.com, when Fitzpatrick threw it long last year, he was on target on 20 of 38 attempts, a 52.6% accuracy rate.  In the early going this season however, it’s been a much different story as Fitzpatrick is ranked 26th in the NFL, going 3-20 when looking for a big gain, a mere 15%.

With this being the case, we’re left wondering if it was this year or last that was the anomaly.  Over the course of the season we’ll find out as he and Chan Gailey are unlikely to reel it in after a few rough games, but if there’s not some moderate improvement at the very least, the Jets could find themselves in trouble more often that they’d like.

Should Fitzpatrick continue to misfire on throws deep down field, teams will undoubtedly crowd the line of scrimmage to shut down running back Chris Ivory while only respecting short to intermediate routes.  This is what the Eagles were able to do this Sunday, and the result was a staggering 58 pass attempts from Ryan, many of which were off-target down the field, often underthrown.

I think this is the key part.  Fitz seemed good/decent at deep throws last year, but this year he looks terrible.  Will the real Ryan Fitzpatrick please stand up?  If he continues to demonstrate that he can't throw deep, he'll have to take a seat.  If he turns it around, even a little bit, he'll probably be fine...

I think this is the key part.  Fitz seemed good/decent at deep throws last year, but this year he looks terrible.  Will the real Ryan Fitzpatrick please stand up?  If he continues to demonstrate that he can't throw deep, he'll have to take a seat.  If he turns it around, even a little bit, he'll probably be fine...

For most QBs it isn't all about arm strength; it is also about the motion and the legs.  Hopefully, Fitz will get stronger as the season progresses.  If not, and teams stack the box, we will have to make the switch...

You dont know what you're talking about. If this statement above was true then Fitz would have been the 1st stringer the moment we traded for him given that he was the "better option". Thats not what happened. Geno was the 1st stringer and holding that title all throughout camp until he hit his Jaw on IK's fist. 

You guys will literally say anything for as long as it's anti Geno. 

Agree great post.

That is because DeAndre Hopkins was muscling away many of those throws from defenders. This past summer someone linked an article full of pictures and GIF's showing many of Fitzpatrick throws and how many of them were basically "jump balls" that DeAndre Hopkins" was going up and ripping out of defenders hands for completions. 

So on the surface just looking at stats it would seem like Fitz was good, but when you see how the passes were actually completed you soon come to the realization that DeAndre Hopkins is a BEAST. 

I just spent the last 10 minutes trying to find this article but I couldnt find it, but if i come across it I'll link it. Im just surprised that all of these anti Geno guys who can find just about anything when it comes to making that guy look bad seem not to be able to find anything when it comes to Fitzpatrick. 

Archived