Marshall's Lateral vs The Buttfumble vs Geno's Safety. Who ya got?

RutgersJetFan

First off putting all of these in succession and watching them together is hysterical. Second, I gotta take the buttfumble here. National game on Thanksgiving, Sanchez plowing into a Moore's ass...etc, it's still priceless. I do however consider Geno's a sleeper simply because of the angle he takes and then throwing the ball away after the fact.

https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/brandon-marshall-with-a-dumb-play.gif

vs

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--03b7Eexy--/18zccrb69aqjcgif.gif

vs

https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/geno-smith-safety-2.gif

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not even up for debate. Dozens of players have unsuccessfully tried to make something of nothing by trying to flip it to a teammate in the same way Marshall did. 

Geno's fumble was bad, but it wasn't as famous and even if he didn't do it he was in the process of getting sacked and was trying to make something of a busted play.  In other words, no matter how bad it was, no one outside NYJ fandom cares.

The buttfumble was unique and, due to the involved body parts, got its famous nickname. It will forever be known as the most ridiculous.

A month from now barely anyone will even mention Marshall's flip-fumble and only Jets fans ever bring up Geno's behind he back fumble, but The Buttfumble will still be famous and will still be replayed 50 years from now. 

It's not even up for debate. Dozens of players have unsuccessfully tried to make something of nothing by trying to flip it to a teammate in the same way Marshall did. 

Geno's fumble was bad, but it wasn't as famous and even if he didn't do it he was in the process of getting sacked and was trying to make something of a busted play.  In other words, no matter how bad it was, no one outside NYJ fandom cares.

The buttfumble was unique and, due to the involved body parts, got its famous nickname. It will forever be known as the most ridiculous.

A month from now barely anyone will even mention Marshall's flip-fumble and only Jets fans ever bring up Geno's behind he back fumble, but The Buttfumble will still be famous and will still be replayed 50 years from now. 

I want you to know that I had you as a 3-2 favorite for the guy to pen a succinct and well-written analysis of the topic at hand.

The one that makes me shake my head the most is Tone's "throw the ball in the air because I don't care" he did get hurt on the play, but still. Butt fumble will always be #1 though. I think we forget how ridiculous it really is because we've seen it so many times. It's incredible really. How does that even happen.

U guys remember when some lady drew an unflattering portrait of a 4-time SB champ? lol face

Sorry to interrupt the bash fest of your "favorite" team.

Lets put up gif's of Doug Brien missing those fg's in Pittsburgh.  That was awesome, right?

the buttfumble is the worst by far. it defined that jets team and coach and is known all over the world. its really not even close. the buttfumble is probably THE WORST play  in nfl history

Very true, but no one remembers or cares about that stuff Jets team except Jets fans. I know this is long, but:

It was more than that. It's one of the most perfect, impossible accidents in the history of recorded sports. Like that "little roller" going through Bill Buckner's legs in the World Series. Like Jim Marshall picking up a fumble and running more than half the field in the wrong freaking direction into his own endzone. It should not happen, could not happen, would not happen, and was utterly impossible to happen. Yet it did happen.

It was like a symphony. Here's Sanchez just trying to slide or whatever he weakly claimed later, and BOOM he ran face first into (ok yeah, kind of just above) Moore's big fat ass. Right away his legs flew forward as his head suddenly snapped backwards. It looked like something out of a slapstick comedy that took a dozen takes to get it just right. But it didn't stop there. Oh no. As though that wasn't enough, he fumbles the freaking ball. Then a quick bounce or two and New England scoops it up off the turf right away for a turnover. Then on top of that, because hey, why the hell not, as long as we're making history here, the fumble recovery got returned for a TD. All of it on national TV with the whole country watching it, and then watching every excruciating replay. It was a perfect storm of failure and suck and shame.

Then to top it all off, it was quickly given a name. That name. The perfect name. The name was so silly, so childish, and yet so apt and obvious, that it immediately and forever stuck. Those other events by Geno or Marshall were merely really, really bad plays. But there are always players making really, really bad plays every season. The Buttfumble is a legend on another level entirely. Right away, right as it happened, you knew you just saw an all-time famous event. You knew you just witnessed history, and knew that they'd never, ever stop showing it for the rest of your life. And you were there to see it. It made you feel special, like you were a part of history yourself. You remember where you were and who you were with.

Sanchez will never live that play down for the rest of his life. Not even if he won 5 consecutive superbowl MVP awards. Even then, people would still remember The Buttfumble.

Archived