Marshall's Lateral vs The Buttfumble vs Geno's Safety. Who ya got?

RutgersJetFan

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

20 years from now Geno's safety and Marshall's ridiculous fumble will be forgotten about. The buttfumble is forever in football lore. 

Immaculate reception. Sea of Hands. Heidi Game. 4th & 26. The Catch. Wide Right. The Drive. The Buttfumble.

Few plays in the history of sports could even rival the complete lack of competence shown by Mark Sanchez on that Thanksgiving night. And let's be honest; had it not been retired, it would still be on Sportscenter's Worst of the Worst.

Very true, but no one remembers or cares about that stuff Jets team except Jets fans. I know this is long, but:

It was more than that. It's one of the most perfect, impossible accidents in the history of recorded sports. Like that "little roller" going through Bill Buckner's legs in the World Series. Like Jim Marshall picking up a fumble and running more than half the field in the wrong freaking direction into his own endzone. It should not happen, could not happen, would not happen, and was utterly impossible to happen. Yet it did happen.

It was like a symphony. Here's Sanchez just trying to slide or whatever he weakly claimed later, and BOOM he ran face first into (ok yeah, kind of just above) Moore's big fat ass. Right away his legs flew forward as his head suddenly snapped backwards. It looked like something out of a slapstick comedy that took a dozen takes to get it just right. But it didn't stop there. Oh no. As though that wasn't enough, he fumbles the freaking ball. Then a quick bounce or two and New England scoops it up off the turf right away for a turnover. Then on top of that, because hey, why the hell not, as long as we're making history here, the fumble recovery got returned for a TD. All of it on national TV with the whole country watching it, and then watching every excruciating replay. It was a perfect storm of failure and suck and shame.

Then to top it all off, it was quickly given a name. That name. The perfect name. The name was so silly, so childish, and yet so apt and obvious, that it immediately and forever stuck. Those other events by Geno or Marshall were merely really, really bad plays. But there are always players making really, really bad plays every season. The Buttfumble is a legend on another level entirely. Right away, right as it happened, you knew you just saw an all-time famous event. You knew you just witnessed history, and knew that they'd never, ever stop showing it for the rest of your life. And you were there to see it. It made you feel special, like you were a part of history yourself. You remember where you were and who you were with.

Sanchez will never live that play down for the rest of his life. Not even if he won 5 consecutive superbowl MVP awards. Even then, people would still remember The Buttfumble.

Was going to vote Marshall's lateral, which was just pure stupidity, but couldn't after reading this lol. Well done.

Lyle Alzado ripping off Chris Wards helmet and throwing it during Raider playoff game. I've never seen a head that small on such a big body. It was humiliating. Also had Chris Ward not been a Jet Wesley walker would probably be in the hall of fame. I can't keep count of how many bombs were called back because of holding, number 72 offense.

Very true, but no one remembers or cares about that stuff Jets team except Jets fans. I know this is long, but:

It was more than that. It's one of the most perfect, impossible accidents in the history of recorded sports. Like that "little roller" going through Bill Buckner's legs in the World Series. Like Jim Marshall picking up a fumble and running more than half the field in the wrong freaking direction into his own endzone. It should not happen, could not happen, would not happen, and was utterly impossible to happen. Yet it did happen.

It was like a symphony. Here's Sanchez just trying to slide or whatever he weakly claimed later, and BOOM he ran face first into (ok yeah, kind of just above) Moore's big fat ass. Right away his legs flew forward as his head suddenly snapped backwards. It looked like something out of a slapstick comedy that took a dozen takes to get it just right. But it didn't stop there. Oh no. As though that wasn't enough, he fumbles the freaking ball. Then a quick bounce or two and New England scoops it up off the turf right away for a turnover. Then on top of that, because hey, why the hell not, as long as we're making history here, the fumble recovery got returned for a TD. All of it on national TV with the whole country watching it, and then watching every excruciating replay. It was a perfect storm of failure and suck and shame.

Then to top it all off, it was quickly given a name. That name. The perfect name. The name was so silly, so childish, and yet so apt and obvious, that it immediately and forever stuck. Those other events by Geno or Marshall were merely really, really bad plays. But there are always players making really, really bad plays every season. The Buttfumble is a legend on another level entirely. Right away, right as it happened, you knew you just saw an all-time famous event. You knew you just witnessed history, and knew that they'd never, ever stop showing it for the rest of your life. And you were there to see it. It made you feel special, like you were a part of history yourself. You remember where you were and who you were with.

Sanchez will never live that play down for the rest of his life. Not even if he won 5 consecutive superbowl MVP awards. Even then, people would still remember The Buttfumble.

Awesome description but I think we overrate the depths of infamy that play will live in.  I haven't heard anyone mention the buttfumble in years and a couple people asked why 1 of my my fantasy football teams was named the buttfumblers (as they had forgotten the play).

It will hit the highlight reels on ESPN every Thanksgiving but it won't have the shelf life of "we talkin' about practice" or "I have to feed my kids".

The most cringeworthy play in Jets history is the fake spike play. It showed a team wide lack of preparation and lack of discipline. 

It also cost the team a game. None of these other plays decided a game. It also set the wheels in motion for a dead period in Jets football.

Overrated play in my opinion.  Everyone in the stadium knew the Dolphins were scoring a touchdown on the drive.  Marino was in beast mode that 4th quarter.

A more horrible play in that game was the Jets driving to the Miami 35 with a shot at 1 more play and Boomer sailing the last pass through the friggin uprights.  That was infuriating.

First off putting all of these in succession and watching them together is hysterical. Second, I gotta take the buttfumble here. National game on Thanksgiving, Sanchez plowing into a Moore's ass...etc, it's still priceless. I do however consider Geno's a sleeper simply because of the angle he takes and then throwing the ball away after the fact.

https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/brandon-marshall-with-a-dumb-play.gif

vs

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--03b7Eexy--/18zccrb69aqjcgif.gif

vs

https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/geno-smith-safety-2.gif

This is beneath you. 

Frankly, I expected a little more out of a varsity letterman. 

Awesome description but I think we overrate the depths of infamy that play will live in.  I haven't heard anyone mention the buttfumble in years and a couple people asked why 1 of my my fantasy football teams was named the buttfumblers (as they had forgotten the play).

It will hit the highlight reels on ESPN every Thanksgiving but it won't have the shelf life of "we talkin' about practice" or "I have to feed my kids".

Clearly you only associate with senile ignoramuses. Therefore, your personal ecosystem is not necessarily a valid measurement of general societal thought and awareness.

And hitting the top position of highlight reels every time one of these top 10 lists (ESPN or anywhere) is one of the prime reasons no one will ever forget it. It doesn't have to be brought up over and over in verbal-only conversation among your personal inner circle, and the 2 comparisons you made are poor way anyhow for another reason. An oft-used quote will be recited more in casual conversation than a video where sound isn't even needed. One does not verbally repeat a video clip, but one does repeat a one-liner sound byte. Just consider the effort involved in one as opposed to the other.

Therefore you are wrong. Buttfumble will never be forgotten.

Clearly you only associate with senile ignoramuses. Therefore, your personal ecosystem is not necessarily a valid measurement of general societal thought and awareness.

And hitting the top position of highlight reels every time one of these top 10 lists (ESPN or anywhere) is one of the prime reasons no one will ever forget it. It doesn't have to be brought up over and over in verbal-only conversation among your personal inner circle, and the 2 comparisons you made are poor way anyhow for another reason. An oft-used quote will be recited more in casual conversation than a video where sound isn't even needed. One does not verbally repeat a video clip, but one does repeat a one-liner sound byte. Just consider the effort involved in one as opposed to the other.

Therefore you are wrong. Buttfumble will never be forgotten.

I rebuke your rebuttal.

Your 32,000 posts on this site along with god knows how many seedy late night mod meetings proves you routinely converse with the absolute dregs of society.

87% of the people watching those stupid ESPN top 10's are straight out of central casting for Idiocracy.  Therefore their opinion, like yours, is invalid.

I normally deal with society's elite.  There's is the opinion I listen to.

damn all those big plays in the 2010 run!

You mean his 4 catches per game?  Perhaps is two games over 100 yards?  Perhaps his 6 games under 50 yards in receiving?  Perhaps his 4,3 and 2 receptions in the playoff games?  Could it be his 32 yards per game avg in the playoffs?  Hmmmm, which could it be? 

You mean his 4 catches per game?  Perhaps is two games over 100 yards?  Perhaps his 6 games under 50 yards in receiving?  Perhaps his 4,3 and 2 receptions in the playoff games?  Could it be his 32 yards per game avg in the playoffs?  Hmmmm, which could it be? 

I assume you aren't a Jet fan?

you forget the big catch in OT to set up the GW FG at Det

drawing PI to set up GW TD at Den

the GW TD catch in OT at Cle

the great catch in the back of the EZ to beat Houston

the catch to help set up the GW FG in the WC game at Indy

the incredible catch in the corner of the EZ at NE in the div rd

the long TD to get us back in the AFC Championship Game

but yeah he sucked:rolleyes:

I laugh at all those who say the buttfumble.  I think if Sanchez had had a little more of Marshall's attitutde in him he would still be a Jet.

Marshall came out and said it was a dumb play; Sanchez mubbled something instead of saying "that play looked INSANE and I looked like a buffon, can't do that ever again and be a player in this league, you can't"...

Yes folks would have made fun but like they did....Just madness.

Lyle Alzado ripping off Chris Wards helmet and throwing it during Raider playoff game. I've never seen a head that small on such a big body. It was humiliating. Also had Chris Ward not been a Jet Wesley walker would probably be in the hall of fame. I can't keep count of how many bombs were called back because of holding, number 72 offense.

We won that game and went on to be jobbed my Miami in the mud.  That was a brawl and a half.  Awesome to watch.  We should check nyjunc's youtube thread and see if it is on there.  Freeman was smoke those playoffs.

we were getting killed at the time, that play is so overblown.  it was meaningless.

They were losing by 14.  That may seem like a lot, but it was only because of the pre-butt fumble INT and fumble by Greene.  One of the scores was an 83 yarder to Vereen on a busted coverage - apparently an annual occurrence.  We only got rolled over because the Jets couldn't hold onto fully inflated footballs.

We won that game and went on to be jobbed my Miami in the mud.  That was a brawl and a half.  Awesome to watch.  We should check nyjunc's youtube thread and see if it is on there.  Freeman was smoke those playoffs.

I did post that full game from the 1982 2nd round at LA.  http://forums.jetnation.com/topic/123210-classic-clips/

go to 1:44:45 of the clip

I assume you aren't a Jet fan?

you forget the big catch in OT to set up the GW FG at Det

drawing PI to set up GW TD at Den

the GW TD catch in OT at Cle

the great catch in the back of the EZ to beat Houston

the catch to help set up the GW FG in the WC game at Indy

the incredible catch in the corner of the EZ at NE in the div rd

the long TD to get us back in the AFC Championship Game

but yeah he sucked:rolleyes:

I feel confident in my assessment of the player especially when you feel he was great becasue if there is any poster on here who has no idea what 'sucked' means it is you.

They were losing by 14.  That may seem like a lot, but it was only because of the pre-butt fumble INT and fumble by Greene.  One of the scores was an 83 yarder to Vereen on a busted coverage - apparently an annual occurrence.  We only got rolled over because the Jets couldn't hold onto fully inflated footballs.

our D was getting gashed, it was going to be one of those nights.  mark gets the blame but we had no shot.

I feel confident in my assessment of the player especially when you feel he was great becasue if there is any poster on here who has no idea what 'sucked' means it is you.

where did I say hew as great?  I do, however, appreciate what he did for us in helping us get close to a SB.  I hated the way it ended and how he performed post 2010(though he had a bunch of big catches in 2011 as well) but I appreciate what he did in 2010.

Archived